Playstation Move - 4.1 Million in Two Months

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Good sales for the Wiimo...errr I mean Playstation Move.
thomasward00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 thomasward00
Member since 2004 • 96 Posts

[QUOTE="thomasward00"]

[QUOTE="gamerfan85"]

The Move was bought by 1 in 10 PlayStation Users. That's crazy impressive for just 90 days. And whoever up there thought the PS3 is still overpriced should try getting a job.

gamerfan85

There will still be very, very few move or Kinect specific games.

As far as I'm concerned there don't need to be. I want to see subtle, limited integration in mainstream games (when it's appropriate and doesn't feel shoehorned in). Really I just like it for being an HD Wii at this point and that's enough for the first year.

Thats cool BUT as we have seen on the Wii, most 3rd party developers have not utilized motion controls very well, it's mostly been 1st party Wii titles that have used motion controls to the fullest yet, and lets face the facts neither Sony or Microsoft's first party houses hold a candle to Nintendo's software development houses.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I am sure someone has pointed this out but the statistic is "4.1 million controllers". Now how many people bought more than one controller? This is Sony painting a pretty picture again. This is Sony covering up its flop.

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts

The Move was bought by 1 in 10 PlayStation Users. That's crazy impressive for just 90 days. And whoever up there thought the PS3 is still overpriced should try getting a job.

gamerfan85
No it hasn't :? They reported 4.1M sold to retailers
XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

Im pretty sure this is shipped.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I am sure someone has pointed this out but the statistic is "4.1 million controllers". Now how many people bought more than one controller? This is Sony painting a pretty picture again. This is Sony covering up its flop.

FoxbatAlpha
Indeed, I wonder how many account for second controllers per household/owner. It's sure to mean that the total number of Move owners is well below 4.1 million.
BlancoBX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 BlancoBX
Member since 2009 • 894 Posts

[QUOTE="gamerfan85"]

[QUOTE="thomasward00"]

There will still be very, very few move or Kinect specific games.

thomasward00

As far as I'm concerned there don't need to be. I want to see subtle, limited integration in mainstream games (when it's appropriate and doesn't feel shoehorned in). Really I just like it for being an HD Wii at this point and that's enough for the first year.

Thats cool BUT as we have seen on the Wii, most 3rd party developers have not utilized motion controls very well, it's mostly been 1st party Wii titles that have used motion controls to the fullest yet, and lets face the facts neither Sony or Microsoft's first party houses hold a candle to Nintendo's software development houses.

that is definetely true in the case of MS but not so much the case for SONY. The nintendo IPs that are best suited for the motion controls (Metroid, mario cart etc) are good games with good motion controls.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="seabiscuit8686"] Minus the fact that ALL consumers buy ONE Kinect (camera, controller, 2 player included) whereas Sony Move buyers need to buy MULTIPLE move controllers to get the same experience. Some buy 4, some 3, some 1 - it's called an estimated average AKA: ONE Kinect Sale = TWO Move Sales Kinect is at 2.5 million (and they are sold out everywhere) PS Move is at 2.05 million (and they are in stock everywhere)seabiscuit8686

Link to the article that show each and every move owner bought 2 controllers,that is like saying that for 4 player gaming each kinect owner most have bought a 2nd 360 with 2 kinect cameras,which mean that kinect owners are just 1.25 million owners intead of 2.5 millions assming is fun.

Some bought 4, some 3, some 2, some one - called an educated estimate of the average...

And there are no 4 player kinect game as kinect only supports 2 players (presently)

No is call assuming.
Blaze-Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Blaze-Agent
Member since 2010 • 1951 Posts

FoxbatAlpha

Lolz this is too much DC.

How many people have multiple 360's (including broken ones)?

How many people have multiple controllers?

How many people have multiple ps3's and Wii's?

A sale is a sale my friend. And those sales exclude the eyetoy stand a lone and the navi controller stand alone.

But keep the DC coming

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
The reports say shipped not sold. Who knows how much of those are actually in customer hands. And seeing as we are in system wars, only sold counts.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#161 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Are they lying this time? :lol:
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#162 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
The most accurate way to determine how many Move customers there are is how many Playstation Eyes Sony has sold, including the ones bundled with Moves.
vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts

Are they counting each piece of Move or are they claiming complete units?

worknow222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 worknow222
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

Lems definitely got owned here no question.TintedEyes
right and considering kinects been out for a month and it's sold 2.5 million or so isnt scary for you? and owned oh owned like GT5 scoring an 8 or owned that Forza 3 got a 9.5? ( it's system wars i gotta barge in a comment like this :P)

thomasward00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 thomasward00
Member since 2004 • 96 Posts

[QUOTE="thomasward00"]

[QUOTE="gamerfan85"]

BlancoBX

that is definetely true in the case of MS but not so much the case for SONY. The nintendo IPs that are best suited for the motion controls (Metroid, mario cart etc) are good games with good motion controls.

The PS3 and 360 exist off 3rd party titles, neither company has the talent or firepower to carry a console all on it's own.

Nintendo can carry it's own consoles, both home and portable with in house software alone.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
Damn that's a lot, and people said it would flop. ha ha. For reference Kinect is at 2.5 million.TintedEyes
Another way to look at it is that kinect is at 2.5 million in half the time. so, it should hit 5 million by two months.. .meaning it's selling faster than Move. Seeing as this is also MS's estimate, looks to be true.
jaqulle999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 jaqulle999
Member since 2009 • 2897 Posts

A lot more than i expected so far.. and christmas hasn't even passed yet

JStroud88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#168 JStroud88
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

[QUOTE="BlancoBX"]

[QUOTE="thomasward00"]

thomasward00

The PS3 and 360 exist off 3rd party titles, neither company has the talent or firepower to carry a console all on it's own.

Nintendo can carry it's own consoles, both home and portable with in house software alone.

The only reason Nintendo consoles still exist IS 1st party software, no one buys a Nintendo console for 3rd party games. Nintendo's 1st party is the only good thing about their console.

Unlike PS3/360 which has good 1st and 3rd party games.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#169 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
Wow, did quite great! Guess you don't need to spend half a billion on advertising to do good.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#170 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Hmmm,the Wii is a sucess,Move and Kinect are selling extremely well....maybe this kind of stuff is the future of console gaming after all lol.
BlancoBX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 BlancoBX
Member since 2009 • 894 Posts

[QUOTE="BlancoBX"]

[QUOTE="thomasward00"]

thomasward00

good point about them being able to carry the console on their own. But the fact that 3rd parties dont release wii games with good motion control doesnt mean it will be the same with the move. Nintendo has had terrible 3rd party support in general the past 2 generations, and the N64 although better than the wii and GC didnt have the greatest third party support either. It seems the stance that 3rd parties have with nintendo (or is it nintendo with 3rd parties) is much different than with SONY or MS.

and for your other point, im not sure if you are insinuating that 3rd parties have trouble utilizing the motion controls well or if they just decide not to so they can make a quick profit with gimmicky controls

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#172 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Oh do I wish PNF could see this now. 2x as many sales, and supposedly Kinect was going to sell WAY more and crush Move according to him.

I wonder if him "always being right' would apply to the only prediction he's ever made and consistently repeated?

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#173 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

beat kenicts sales and thats all that matters

that proves , wiis and ps3s motion is better lol ,

even i think so because quite frankly i dont feel like actin like a total moron holding nothing just mimicking actions lol

and the amount of space required for kenict lol puts many at a disadvantage cause most of our rooms are not quite that big ,

and our living space has tables couches etc lol ,so its hard for ne 1 that dont have a spare room to use it

DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 DrinkDuff
Member since 2004 • 6762 Posts

Let's break this down into something that isn't just deceptive PR.

First of all, this is shipped, where as kinect's numbers are all sales so far, but let's pretend that stores sell all of their Move stock.

The move has been out for 2 months, and the kinect has been out a month roughly.

So, cut that number in half and you get about 2.05 million move controllers vs. 2.5 million kinects over the same period of time.

The move is staying competitive but it is not quite evenly matched sales wise.These numbers are certainly nothing to scoff at, of course, I just want to set the record straight. The popularity/demand of motion-control-related peripherals remains strong, and that is what's important here. This is much better than what I expected in light of the Wii's partial decline in sales, so good news for both parties involved.

ownage_denied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 ownage_denied
Member since 2008 • 871 Posts

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Damn that's a lot, and people said it would flop. ha ha. For reference Kinect is at 2.5 million.Phazevariance
Another way to look at it is that kinect is at 2.5 million in half the time. so, it should hit 5 million by two months.. .meaning it's selling faster than Move. Seeing as this is also MS's estimate, looks to be true.

I don't see why you'd look at it that way though. The PS3 has been selling faster than the 360 since launch but on system wars total sales determine the winner. Also, I don't think you have enough info to say it "should" hit 5 million by two months. It might but who knows if it will keep selling at the same rate.

ownage_denied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 ownage_denied

First of all, this is shipped, where as kinect's numbers are all sales so far, but let's pretend that stores sell all of their Move stock.

The move has been out for 2 months, and the kinect has been out a month roughly.

So, cut that number in half and you get about 2.05 million move controllers vs. 2.5 million kinects over the same period of time.

The move is staying competitive but it is not quite evenly matched sales wise.These numbers are certainly nothing to scoff at, of course, I just want to set the record straight.The popularity ofmotion-control-related peripherals remains strong, and that is what's important here.This is muchbetter than I expected in light of the Wii's partial decline in sales, so good news for both parties involved.

DrinkDuff

Why does that matter? I'm almost positive that Sony and Microsoft both get paid for the shipped units whether they are sold to consumers or not.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#177 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

well in my store we still got tons of move stuff. its like it died out fast but have a legitimate cult following.

MS is just shipping us a few kinect retail, maybe to keep demand high

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

OMG I JUST GOT THIS, I think cows just owned themselves.

so sony fanboys spent the past years laughing at xbox360 saying it sucked and its only in second because of the head start. and now look PS Move got a head start, and now everyones laughing at Kinect....like it would sell 4 million in 1 month anyways

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

The move is staying competitive.

DrinkDuff

I would say that's the take-home message.

Despite $500 million, Oprah, Ellen, Bieber, Ne-Yo, Leona Lewis, Marky Mark, The New York Times, Time Magazine, Dance Central flashdancing in Times Square with massive YOU Are the Controller! billboards abounds - they're still competitive.

DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 DrinkDuff
Member since 2004 • 6762 Posts

[QUOTE="DrinkDuff"]

The move is staying competitive but it is not quite evenly matched sales wise.These numbers are certainly nothing to scoff at, of course, I just want to set the record straight.The popularity ofmotion-control-related peripherals remains strong, and that is what's important here.This is muchbetter than I expected in light of the Wii's partial decline in sales, so good news for both parties involved.

ownage_denied

Why does that matter? I'm almost positive that Sony and Microsoft both get paid for the shipped units whether they are sold to consumers or not.

You are right, but the purpose of threads like these are to assess the demand for the product so we can argue what's "better" (or what the market thinks is better). Unless you are a shareholder, the revenue should not be the main focus.
vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 vaderhater

Its probably the Wand and the other controller unit combined.

ownage_denied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 ownage_denied

vaderhater

That's possible. It's also possible that Bill Gates, Tiger Woods, and Kobe Bryant have purchased 95% of all Kinects but I don't think it would be wise to say that's probably what happened without any evidence.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts
I plan on getting the move it effs me that the other part of the move controller does not come with the bundle tho, so I plan on holding off till 2011 late probably.
ownage_denied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 ownage_denied

[QUOTE="ownage_denied"]

[QUOTE="DrinkDuff"]

DrinkDuff

You are right, but the purpose of threads like these are to assess the demand for the product so we can argue what's "better" (or what the market thinks is better). Unless you are a shareholder, the revenue should not be the main focus.

I disagree. I think the purpose is to determine who is "winning", which is ultimately determined by the amount of total sales.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

This 4.1 million is sold to stores not sold to customers and Sony even admits it. So the sold to customers can be far less. It seems Sony just tried to quickly throw out a large number after Microsoft released that they sold 2.5 million in 25 days.

Here is a link

A Sony representative explained that the 4.1 million actually represents Move units shipped to stores, adding "While we don't disclose our exact sell-through number, the key is that our retailers continue to ask for more Move units and are taking every unit we can supply them with based on their sales." Which, you know, would have been a cool thing to put in that press release, we think.

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 vaderhater

[QUOTE="vaderhater"]

ownage_denied

That's possible. It's also possible that Bill Gates, Tiger Woods, and Kobe Bryant have purchased 95% of all Kinects but I don't think it would be wise to say that's probably what happened without any evidence.

How about evidence to the contrary of what I said Hmmm? No?

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 vaderhater

This 4.1 million is sold to stores not sold to customers and Sony even admits it. So the sold to customers can be far less. It seems Sony just tried to quickly throw out a large number after Microsoft released that they sold 2.5 million in 25 days.

Here is a link

A Sony representative explained that the 4.1 million actually represents Move units shipped to stores, adding "While we don't disclose our exact sell-through number, the key is that our retailers continue to ask for more Move units and are taking every unit we can supply them with based on their sales." Which, you know, would have been a cool thing to put in that press release, we think.

CanYouDiglt

LOL Ha HA HA!!! Ok then Ownage DENIED!:lol:

ownage_denied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 ownage_denied

Here is a link

CanYouDiglt

ownage_denied

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
All the "Well Move has been out longer" and "Well multiple pieces of hardware was bought by one person" posts are really tickling my irony bone.
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

vaderhater

The press release says it only includes Move controller SKUs. It's already been posted, iirc. Deal with it?

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#191 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

[QUOTE="vaderhater"]

ownage_denied

Isn't that what Sony announced. Sony said 4.1 million without "stand-alone PlayStation Eye camera or stand-alone PlayStation Move navigation controller shipments", each wand does constitute a sell after all.

ownage_denied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 ownage_denied

[QUOTE="ownage_denied"]

[QUOTE="vaderhater"]

vaderhater

Lol you can't be serious.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

That's good news to hear. I'll be "moving into the action" sometime next year :P.

As for Kinect, I'm a bit torn on what to think about its success. I don't really like seeing things fail, so that's good, but I'm just weary of MS's focus going forward. On the flip-side, Sony seems to be offering core experiences that I really dig, experiences that go along with the Move too.

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 vaderhater

[QUOTE="vaderhater"]

[QUOTE="ownage_denied"]

ownage_denied

Way way more possible than what you wrote.

ownage_denied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 ownage_denied

[QUOTE="ownage_denied"]

[QUOTE="vaderhater"]How about evidence to the contrary of what I said Hmmm? No?

vaderhater

Way way more possible than what you wrote.

You can't prove that though.

OmegaPillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 OmegaPillow
Member since 2010 • 1055 Posts

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

Ugh... I was hoping this crap would flop. The generation will now be extended longer than it would have, had they failed.

blue_hazy_basic

Agreed. Lets hope people get bored fast.

I contribute this to Sony's advertising. I've seen so many Kevin Butler ads for this thing.

Ragnarok1051

The KB move ads have been crap, the newer ones non-move are back to a better quality though!

So people cant have an alternative for video game playing? its different from using a standard controller, you guys should try it.

ownage_denied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 ownage_denied

[QUOTE="ownage_denied"]

[QUOTE="vaderhater"]

themyth01

Isn't that what Sony announced. Sony said 4.1 million without "stand-alone PlayStation Eye camera or stand-alone PlayStation Move navigation controller shipments", each wand does constitute a sell after all.

I believe it only includesMove controller SKUs, not standalone Wands + "the other controller unit".

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 vaderhater

[QUOTE="themyth01"]

[QUOTE="ownage_denied"]

ownage_denied

I believe it only includesMove controller SKUs, not standalone Wands + "the other controller unit".

Oh sorry "the Nav":roll: See its proof they add the Move SKU's + Wands+ "the other controller unit"

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#200 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

[QUOTE="themyth01"]

[QUOTE="ownage_denied"]

ownage_denied

If they're just not counting"stand-alone PlayStation Eye camera or stand-alone PlayStation Move navigation controller shipments", how does that lead to them not counting the wand? they would have said so if that was the case. No reason to say what they're not counting but leave stuff out.

If you read the comments you can see your question answered as well:
"Pretty much. If someone bought 2 move controllers, it counts as two sales. Kind of skews the console tie ratio a bit."