Playstation Move - 4.1 Million in Two Months

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="hexashadow13"] Bu Bu Bu life time sales...hexashadow13

yeah, let's compare consoles which have been released for 4 and 5 years to peripherals that have been released for 1 and 2 months... :roll:

yep, seems many are upset that sony has yet to catch up.

Wait, so lemming think they can apply their logic to whatever they think it applies to? Wow... lemming :D

lol, no lemming here buddy.

if you honestly want to compare 5 year old consoles to 2 month old peripherals to make yourself feel better, by all means go right ahead. :)

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 lazerface216

btw, amazing sales by sony....

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

good maybe now the game will come..... I play to get one when Killzone 3 comes out anyways.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#54 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
Move definitely surprised me with it's sales. I along with others on GS thought it would flop.
EdenProxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 EdenProxy
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

Move - 4.1 Million in Two Months

Kinect - 2.5 Million in 25 Days

Definitely.

KodiakGTS

Bu Bu Bu life time sales...

yeah, let's compare consoles which have been released for 4 and 5 years to peripherals that have been released for 1 and 2 months... :roll:

And why cant we? The device/console ratio shows to an extent how the fanbases react to new equipment.

NukePistols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 NukePistols
Member since 2009 • 612 Posts
would the navigation controller count for this number as well? doesn't say. either way most ppl will be getting 2 move controllers and up to 4 while only one kinect so the numbers can't be compared 1 for 1.Ontain
The Move controller and the navigation controller are 2 different things. It doesn't matter that some people get multiple controllers, they count each unit sold just like people that have bought more than 1 Xbox 360.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

Definitely.

tormentos

Not to mention that each individual SKU for Move counts as a sale. So every Wand, every Nav controller, every starter pack, and every Eye counts as a Move sale.

Those Kinect numbers are even more impressive when you factor in most Move owners have bought at least two Wands. I know 1 person who owns 8 wands so he can have 4 players play together.

How do you know each move owner has bought at least 2 wands.? That is a huge assumption the way I see it. But is not the only flaw in your argument,becase the ps3 can't support 8 wands for 4 player gaming,since the bluetooth limitation only allow for 7 devices to be hook up at once,on a single ps3 and from what I read only 4 of those can be wand the rest most be be navi controllers,and just 3 more,something in your argument doesn't add up.

I never said every PS3 owner bought at least two wands, but many have. I just bought a starter pack and an extra wand for example. Although I'm sure some people only have one wand.

As far as the guy I know that bought 8 wands. That's the truth. I forgot about the 7 controller limitation on the PS3, so I guess he can't use them all at once, but he did buy 8 of the wands when they first went on sale. I guess I will have to ask him how that worked out, next time I talk to him. Maybe he returned one, or just kept it as a spare. I'm not sure. I just was pointing out that he bought 8.

Even ignoring the guy with 8 wands you have to admit that people have bought multiple wands for use with Move, and it's very unlikely that people have bought multiple Kinects.

Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Loco_Live
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

▲ The people buying this are the type of people who will buy anything that makes them go "OMG kewl, I get to use motioned controls durr." No logical gamer would ever buy this mess. Move and Kinect have no decent games. Why spend 100$+ on something that has no good games. I just don't get it.

The people buying this stuff arent traditional gamers. They're casuals in every sense of the word. They'll take a gimmick from a foot to a mile. ▲

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#59 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

People thought these would flop? Aren't there casual gamers on both systems? Have they not learned from the Wii?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

That doesnt mean 4.1 million move ready ps3s.

Hell that could be 2.05 million move ready ps3s with 2 controllers per ps3.

EdenProxy
I don't think it works that way.
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts

[QUOTE="hexashadow13"][QUOTE="lazerface216"]

lazerface216

Wait, so lemming think they can apply their logic to whatever they think it applies to? Wow... lemming :D

if you honestly want to compare 5 year old consoles to 2 month old peripherals to make yourself feel better, by all means go right ahead. :)

And you want to say we can't just cause of lemming logic. Cool story bro...
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 FIipMode
Why does buying multiple pieces of hardware all of a sudden matter now?
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="hexashadow13"] Wait, so lemming think they can apply their logic to whatever they think it applies to? Wow... lemming :Dhexashadow13

And you want to say we can't just cause of lemming logic. Cool story bro...

lol lemming logic. what does this word mean? did you make this up?

...and to end it with a "cool story bro"...c'mon.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

I full expected Move and Kinect to sell as much they have in this launch period leading up to Christmas. But I am confident this success is short lived and both peripherals will fall off the radar by Spring. This isn't going to be like the Wii which had high demand a year after release, consumers just like buying any new tech but the two devices will find it very hard to sustain these sales in a couple of months when interest is dropped by the masses, guaranteed.

Afrikanxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Afrikanxl
Member since 2006 • 1112 Posts

TBH, no where is it stated in the official press release "sold". PR is smart and used the word "reached".

Nice PR spin it's probably just "sold to retailers" aka "shipped".

Recarnator

Sony is making a profit on every Move controller sold. From what I see myself and what I read, they are hard to find in stores......and some are selling a higher price on EBay....so although we don't know if they are just shipped or what ever...I'm guessing it is close to that #.

also imo, if a customer decides to shell out another $50 for a extra Move controller, I'm guessing they like it enough to where they will most likely buy more games for it.....and at the end of the day that is what is more important.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#66 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
Why does buying multiple pieces of hardware all of a sudden matter now?FIipMode
That's SW for ya, arguing over anything to gain the advantage, even when it didn't matter at 1st.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lazerface216

I full expected Move and Kinect to sell as much they have in this launch period leading up to Christmas. But I am confident this success is short lived and both peripherals will fall off the radar by Spring. This isn't going to be like the Wii which had high demand a year after release, consumers just like buying any new tech but the two devices will find it very hard to sustain these sales in a couple of months when interest is dropped by the masses, guaranteed.

Swift_Boss_A

i agree 100% with everything you posted. some quality titles from either side could change that scenario a bit though.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 tormentos

[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

Not to mention that each individual SKU for Move counts as a sale. So every Wand, every Nav controller, every starter pack, and every Eye counts as a Move sale.

Those Kinect numbers are even more impressive when you factor in most Move owners have bought at least two Wands. I know 1 person who owns 8 wands so he can have 4 players play together.

coasterguy65

How do you know each move owner has bought at least 2 wands.? That is a huge assumption the way I see it. But is not the only flaw in your argument,becase the ps3 can't support 8 wands for 4 player gaming,since the bluetooth limitation only allow for 7 devices to be hook up at once,on a single ps3 and from what I read only 4 of those can be wand the rest most be be navi controllers,and just 3 more,something in your argument doesn't add up.

I never said every PS3 owner bought at least two wands, but many have. I just bought a starter pack and an extra wand for example. Although I'm sure some people only have one wand.

As far as the guy I know that bought 8 wands. That's the truth. I forgot about the 7 controller limitation on the PS3, so I guess he can't use them all at once, but he did buy 8 of the wands when they first went on sale. I guess I will have to ask him how that worked out, next time I talk to him. Maybe he returned one, or just kept it as a spare. I'm not sure. I just was pointing out that he bought 8.

Even ignoring the guy with 8 wands you have to admit that people have bought multiple wands for use with Move, and it's very unlikely that people have bought multiple Kinects.

You say most move owners bought 2 wands,have an th links to that ? He can only use 4 wands the rest of the controllers had to be either ds3 or navi,i guest he own 2 ps3 or returned 4 move wands,actually I can't admit that since I don't have any sales data that track how many move controller each person bought,which I don't think is even possible to do considering that even global sales are estimates because of the difficulty of tracking sales imagine tracking how many items each person bought.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Lems definitely got owned here no question.finalstar2007

Definitely.

Did MS count the thousands of kninect hardware they gave away for free to people as sold? anyone know? :P

same could be asked of sony.

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Lems definitely got owned here no question.waltefmoney

Definitely.

Minus the fact that ALL consumers buy ONE Kinect (camera, controller, 2 player included) whereas Sony Move buyers need to buy MULTIPLE move controllers to get the same experience. AKA: ONE Kinect Sale = TWO Move Sales Kinect is at 2.5 million (and they are sold out everywhere) PS Move is at 2.05 million (and they are in stock everywhere)
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
That's like counting Wii controller sales as 2 per Nunchuck and Wiimote combo... Most people who bought Move probably bought more than one controller, thus leading to very skewed numbers, even in bundles I'm sure Sony stretched out their sales as much as they could.
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 FIipMode
[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Lems definitely got owned here no question.seabiscuit8686

Definitely.

Minus the fact that ALL consumers buy ONE Kinect (camera, controller, 2 player included) whereas Sony Move buyers need to buy MULTIPLE move controllers to get the same experience. AKA: ONE Kinect Sale = TWO Move Sales Kinect is at 2.5 million (and they are sold out everywhere) PS Move is at 2.05 million (and they are in stock everywhere)

If this is sarcasm, your very convincing.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
My question is why are move games not selling well. Kinect games are charting UK but not a single move game is found. Perhaps things are different in japan but eye pet(moves best selling game in September) only sold 30k move launch month in u.s.
Blaze-Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Blaze-Agent
Member since 2010 • 1951 Posts

My question is why are move games not selling well. Kinect games are charting UK but not a single move game is found. Perhaps things are different in japan but eye pet(moves best selling game in September) only sold 30k move launch month in u.s.MFDOOM1983

Kinect games are only 2 in top 40 in UK. They dont chart in any other EU nation at all. PS move games range from original titles to patched games. Make of it what you will

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 tormentos
[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Lems definitely got owned here no question.seabiscuit8686

Definitely.

Link to the article that show each and every move owner bought 2 controllers,that is like saying that for 4 player gaming each kinect owner most have bought a 2nd 360 with 2 kinect cameras,which mean that kinect owners are just 1.25 million owners intead of 2.5 millions assming is fun.
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#76 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
I was expecting more since they're counting each controller separately. If we assume people on average buy just 2 controllers then we have half the number of actual units sold.
Meowmixxvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#77 Meowmixxvi
Member since 2008 • 2243 Posts
thats wack, i was hoping move and kinect would fail. now everyones seems to care for it... it was a different story a year ago... SMH
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 tormentos
I was expecting more since they're counting each controller separately. If we assume people on average buy just 2 controllers then we have half the number of actual units sold. themyth01
Can we assume that ms gave away 1 million kinect cameras.?
TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 TintedEyes
Member since 2009 • 4769 Posts
[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Lems definitely got owned here no question.blue_hazy_basic
Aren't you complaining about people saying owned in another thread? lol

nah that was about people bashing gt5, this is about lems being dead wrong about move sales
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 lazerface216

[QUOTE="themyth01"] I was expecting more since they're counting each controller separately. If we assume people on average buy just 2 controllers then we have half the number of actual units sold. tormentos

lol sure. why not...

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="themyth01"] I was expecting more since they're counting each controller separately. If we assume people on average buy just 2 controllers then we have half the number of actual units sold. tormentos

If you want, sure why not.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#82 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

lazerface216

i agree 100% with everything you posted. some quality titles from either side could change that scenario a bit though.

And I'll have to third this. Unless some major killer apps are released on both, I honestly do see the success carrying into next year.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Lems definitely got owned here no question.TintedEyes

nah that was about people bashing gt5, this is about lems being dead wrong about move sales

what's wrong with people bashing GT5? it's not like the game's perfect

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 tormentos
[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="themyth01"] I was expecting more since they're counting each controller separately. If we assume people on average buy just 2 controllers then we have half the number of actual units sold. themyth01

If you want, sure why not.

Yesss.. I like that is call consistency even when both assumptions are wrong.
amourkiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#85 amourkiss
Member since 2003 • 1751 Posts

glad to hear that

hope those developers would speed up and release more Move titles

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Lems definitely got owned here no question.TintedEyes

and cows were dead wrong about how good GT5 would be :P
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

neither are really moving consoles though, that's what really matters.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

That doesnt mean 4.1 million move ready ps3s.

Hell that could be 2.05 million move ready ps3s with 2 controllers per ps3.

EdenProxy

While that might be interesting from a game developer perspective in order to gauge install base, I'm sure Sony could care less as long as they're selling lots of Move controllers. It's still a sale as long as retailers keep ordering more of them.

TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 TintedEyes

people are definitely scrambling for excuses
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

TC why dont you put 4.1 million shipped because many people believe it was 4.1 million sold and thats definately not the case

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#91 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

neither are really moving consoles though, that's what really matters.

Phaze-Two

Holiday season will tell all as far as that goes, but I kind of disagree with this statement. Kinect is going for $150 and cost about $60 to make. We don't know that info about Move, but if there is a good profit margin there, than it does matter. Maybe not as much as moving consoles, but it does matter.

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts

[QUOTE="seabiscuit8686"][QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

Definitely.

tormentos

Minus the fact that ALL consumers buy ONE Kinect (camera, controller, 2 player included) whereas Sony Move buyers need to buy MULTIPLE move controllers to get the same experience. Some buy 4, some 3, some 1 - it's called an estimated average AKA: ONE Kinect Sale = TWO Move Sales Kinect is at 2.5 million (and they are sold out everywhere) PS Move is at 2.05 million (and they are in stock everywhere)

Link to the article that show each and every move owner bought 2 controllers,that is like saying that for 4 player gaming each kinect owner most have bought a 2nd 360 with 2 kinect cameras,which mean that kinect owners are just 1.25 million owners intead of 2.5 millions assming is fun.

Some bought 4, some 3, some 2, some one - called an educated estimate of the average...

And there are no 4 player kinect game as kinect only supports 2 players (presently)

ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#93 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts

I'm impressed, i thought kinect would sell more :o

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
Now, keep in mind that Sony calculates a sale of the wand and nuncheck as 2 individual move sales, but good sales nonetheless.
TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 TintedEyes
Now, keep in mind that Sony calculates a sale of the wand and nuncheck as 2 individual move sales, but good sales nonetheless.lhughey
Where did you get that info, or is this just more speculation
tbolt76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#96 tbolt76
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

4.1 Million is sold to retailers not end users (Link). 2.5 million Kinects are to end users (Link)

Two things, while there are 2.5 million Kinects in homes, there are 4.1 million Moves on store shelves and to piggyback off of lhughey, an owner needs to buy more than one Move controller to play some games (to say none of these multiwand games have been sold is unrealistic) and there are inevitably people who have purchased 4 or more Move components (Wands & Nunchucks), meaning 4.1 million Moves could potentially represent a smaller install base than 2.5 million Kinects.

Sitting on the store shelf doesn't mean much. If the Move doesn't sell, a retailer can pull it and return them to Sony for refunds or vendor credits.

While 4.1 million in 2 months is impressive (shipped or sold), 2.5 million in 25 days is more impressive.

TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 TintedEyes
I think this thread settles an argument had over sw for a long time, when sony said they count ps3 sales as sold to consumers people used to always go how sony could never track that and they were lying, but since its okay for kinect, i guess it is for the ps3 too, so that 41 million is sold to consumers, not shipped.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#98 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
And they'll all get bored of it in 10 minutes just like the Wii, amirite?
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

Please change title, Move has not sold 4.1 it has shipped 4.1 to retailers, this isnt how many they sold to customers

Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Lems definitely got owned here no question.waltefmoney

Definitely.

Considering how much Kinect cost, i'd say its more successful than Move because MS makes almost 50% on each one. If they move 5 million by years end, its gonna be something for the years to follow.