Playstation Move - 4.1 Million in Two Months

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tbolt76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#101 tbolt76
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts
I think this thread settles an argument had over sw for a long time, when sony said they count ps3 sales as sold to consumers people used to always go how sony could never track that and they were lying, but since its okay for kinect, i guess it is for the ps3 too, so that 41 million is sold to consumers, not shipped.TintedEyes
It's all about the numbers the company decides to report. Sony has always maintained that they did not report end user sales, while MS has inconsistently flipped-flopped. They report end user sales when they have something to brag about, while they report shipped sales when they see a specific product is not performing the way they anticipated. Don't be fooled, both Sony and Microsoft now exactly how many of each of their product they have sold, they just tend to keep those numbers to themselves.
TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 TintedEyes
Member since 2009 • 4769 Posts

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]I think this thread settles an argument had over sw for a long time, when sony said they count ps3 sales as sold to consumers people used to always go how sony could never track that and they were lying, but since its okay for kinect, i guess it is for the ps3 too, so that 41 million is sold to consumers, not shipped.tbolt76
It's all about the numbers the company decides to report. Sony has always maintained that they did not report end user sales, while MS has inconsistently flipped-flopped. They report end user sales when they have something to brag about, while they report shipped sales when they see a specific product is not performing the way they anticipated. Don't be fooled, both Sony and Microsoft now exactly how many of each of their product they have sold, they just tend to keep those numbers to themselves.

this says they always count ps3 install base in the hands of consumers

http://spong.com/article/19131/SCEE-Clarifies-PS3-Install-Base-Maths

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

the move wins as expected. the gap is tooo wide the kinect cant catch up ever

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Lems definitely got owned here no question.waltefmoney

Move - 4.1 Million in Two Months

Kinect - 2.5 Million in 25 Days

Definitely.

When you take in account the fact that Sony didn't spend a half a billion dollars on advertising Move like Microsoft did Kinect, that's some pretty big ownage..
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Lems definitely got owned here no question.Messiahbolical-

Definitely.

When you take in account the fact that Sony didn't spend a half a billion dollars on advertising Move like Microsoft did Kinect, that's some pretty big ownage..

no its not, because sony hasnt sold 4.1 mil, and most people probably bought 2 controllers so they could play games that require 2 controllers or if they want 2 people to play at the same time

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#106 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

motion is the future don't like it stop gaming

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I really like The Move a lot. I have a battle rifle on it's way for games like Socom 4, Killzone 3, and The Shoot. I already have The Eagle 3 hand gun and love it.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts

motion is the future don't like it stop gaming

dontshackzmii
Or switch to PC.
tbolt76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#109 tbolt76
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

[QUOTE="tbolt76"][QUOTE="TintedEyes"]I think this thread settles an argument had over sw for a long time, when sony said they count ps3 sales as sold to consumers people used to always go how sony could never track that and they were lying, but since its okay for kinect, i guess it is for the ps3 too, so that 41 million is sold to consumers, not shipped.TintedEyes

this says they always count ps3 install base in the hands of consumers

http://spong.com/article/19131/SCEE-Clarifies-PS3-Install-Base-Maths

Again, it's about bragging rights. When Sony or MS sees it fit, they will report sales to end users (install base). When they are just trying to defuse a competitors big numbers announce, without having a similar success, they will report shipped numbers, as is the case with Sony's announcement of 4.1 million Moves shipped on the heals of Microsoft's announcement of 2.5 million Kinects sold.
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

Definitely.

waltefmoney

Oh. So now the "head start" excuse is okay? Wow. Talk about a change of heart! :roll:

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Damn that's a lot, and people said it would flop. ha ha. For reference Kinect is at 2.5 million.AncientDozer
So we can gather this: In two months the Move, give or take, has sold 4.1 million. In one month, give or take, the Kinect has sold 2.5 million. That puts them pretty much on par, don't you think?

So if PS3 is just a couple million behind 360 with that year head start it is actually in 2nd not 3rd?

See what I did thar? ;)

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"][QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

Definitely.

gamer-adam1

no its not, because sony hasnt sold 4.1 mil, and most people probably bought 2 controllers so they could play games that require 2 controllers or if they want 2 people to play at the same time

And the link to prove it is.....
KaoSXFACTOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 KaoSXFACTOR
Member since 2009 • 1059 Posts

Too bad it SHIPPED and didn't SELL 4.1 million.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/30/sony-ships-4-1-million-playstation-move-controllers-to-retailers/

And don't give me any nonsense saying that SHIPPED =s SOLD, because Sony corrected themselves AGAIN!

Kinect is killing Move.

mystervj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 mystervj
Member since 2010 • 2213 Posts

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/30/sony-ships-4-1-million-playstation-move-controllers-to-retailers/

And don't give me any nonsense saying that SHIPPED =s SOLD, because Sony corrected themselves AGAIN!

Kinect is killing Move.

KaoSXFACTOR
No, Move beat kinect, with a pretty sizable gap in their shipment numbers too.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#118 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

The worst thing is Kinect required 500mill of advertising to reach 2.5mill... there's the real difference...

If it cost $56 to make each Kinect, then they need to sell 8,928,572 units to start profiting, thats base cost of sales hitting that figure to recover just the advertising costs and not counting the inevitable breakages and returns so it's gonna quite a while until they begin to see a dime back from the investment.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#119 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

So Move does about as well as Kinect even without an laughable amount of money in ads? :S How exactly is it counted exactly? One Move or one Navi = 1 sale or how does it work?

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#120 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts

_SWAG_

Kinect sold 2.5 million in 25 days it will catch up to playstation move

brennan7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 brennan7777
Member since 2005 • 3253 Posts

Awe gotta love the lemming rationalization. :P

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts

[QUOTE="_SWAG_"]

kyacat

Just like the PS3 will catch up to the 360. =D
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 gamer-adam1

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"] When you take in account the fact that Sony didn't spend a half a billion dollars on advertising Move like Microsoft did Kinect, that's some pretty big ownage..nervmeister

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/30/sony-playstation-move-reaches-4-1-million-in-worldwide-sales/

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1137413p1.html

I could keep posting sites alll day

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 gamer-adam1

Kinect is killing Move.

KaoSXFACTOR

apparently alot of people here believe 4.1 is sold to customers :( even though Sony themselves said that isnt the number sold to customers. I guess they need something to get over GT5 flopping

mystervj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 mystervj

[QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

gamer-adam1

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/30/sony-playstation-move-reaches-4-1-million-in-worldwide-sales/

Ur link proved nothing of your claim. We already know it is sold to retailer data. Your gonna need to elaborate on the 2 controller part.
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 gamer-adam1

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]And the link to prove it is.....mystervj

Ur link proved nothing of your claim. We already know it is sold to retailer data. Your gonna need to elaborate on the 2 controller part.

it proves that the number is sold to retailers, not customers, which this whole topic is about how many units Move have sold, and its not 4.1 because sony said so themselves, retail is different from customers.

the 2 controller is, we don't know what sony is counting, because you got 3 types, the Move bundle, Move Controller, and Move sub controller, so IF the 4.1 includes all 3 than the real number of Move owners is alot smaller

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#127 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

"which didn't count standalone sales of the PlayStation Eye camera or the Move navigation controller in its total."

Surprised this....thing is so successful.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#128 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
the 2 controller is, we don't know what sony is counting, because you got 3 types, the Move bundle, Move Controller, and Move sub controller, so IF the 4.1 includes all 3 than the real number of Move owners is alot smallergamer-adam1
Its Move controllers, you know the thing with the glowing ball on top? 4.1 million of those, not nav controller, eyes or anything else. I don't even know where people came up with this theory.
mystervj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 mystervj

[QUOTE="mystervj"][QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

gamer-adam1

it proves that the number is sold to retailers, not customers, which this whole topic is about how many units Move have sold, and its not 4.1 because sony said so themselves, retail is different from customers.

the 2 controller is, we don't know what sony is counting, because you got 3 types, the Move bundle, Move Controller, and Move sub controller, so IF the 4.1 includes all 3 than the real number of Move owners is alot smaller

GS article said clearly Sony's talking about the wands. Everyone uses shipped number, I don't see where you are going with this.

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

I'm curious how exactly Microsoft derives sell-through figures?

There is no worldwide sell-through tracker.

Also, I don't see why people are touting the success of these things as good, all it means is that it's time to hunker down for the shovelware deluge.

kingman03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 kingman03
Member since 2003 • 5202 Posts

[QUOTE="kyacat"]

[QUOTE="_SWAG_"]

hexashadow13

Just like the PS3 will catch up to the 360. =D

Have people forgotten about the year gap between the release of the consoles. If PS3 released first, it would be way ahead of 360, no doubt.

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=278463

Sony has said it's sold over 4.1 million PlayStation Move motion controllers worldwide in two months.

Keep in mind, Move has many controller layouts.

Nonstop-Madness
Been confirmed as "sold to retailers"
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 gamer-adam1

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

[QUOTE="mystervj"] Ur link proved nothing of your claim. We already know it is sold to retailer data. Your gonna need to elaborate on the 2 controller part.mystervj

GS article said clearly Sony's talking about the wands. Everyone uses shipped number, I don't see where you are going with this.

MS said 2.5 sold to customers, sony said 4.1 sold to retailers

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="TintedEyes"]Lems definitely got owned here no question.coasterguy65

Definitely.

Not to mention that each individual SKU for Move counts as a sale. So every Wand, every Nav controller, every starter pack, and every Eye counts as a Move sale.

Those Kinect numbers are even more impressive when you factor in most Move owners have bought at least two Wands. I know 1 person who owns 8 wands so he can have 4 players play together.

Nice damage control. How about you just admit the PS Move is slaughtering Kinect in sales.
TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 TintedEyes

Also, I don't see why people are touting the success of these things as good, all it means is that it's time to hunker down for the shovelware deluge.

shinrabanshou

Its weird lems are just eating up the sold to consumers without question, when sony said it though they wouldn't believe it.

IBEPerfection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 IBEPerfection
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Oh so this is how Sony fanboys try to live off the butthurt of GT5 flopping, pretending sales numbers are important again. Let's see 4.1 in 2.5 months equates to less then 1.64 a month 2,5 in 25 days equates to 2 a month, Don't you just haate when mathematical logic destroysd your dellusions?
JStroud88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 JStroud88
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

Lems definitely got owned here no question.TintedEyes

Three things;

1. Move has been out since September.

2. Sony stated that the 4.1 million is shipped, not sold.

3. Microsoft has stated (according to IGN, if you care to look it up) that their 2.5 million kinects are sold, not shipped. In 25 days.

So, no. I do not think the slower-selling of the Move has owned the Kinect. Not quite yet anyways.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

[QUOTE="mystervj"]

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

I've heard this regarding console sales from 360 fanboys as well. Do explain how Microsoft tracks worldwide sales from every retailer they've shipped to? I thought every company uses shipped to retailers...
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

I've heard this regarding console sales from 360 fanboys as well. Do explain how Microsoft tracks worldwide sales from every retailer they've shipped to? I thought every company uses shipped to retailers...FlamesOfGrey
No one answered me when I asked either.

And I doubt Microsoft will answer me.

When Microsoft cites their tie ratio, based on sell-through, they specifically cite NPD.

None of this PR has any citation whatsoever.

TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 TintedEyes
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] I've heard this regarding console sales from 360 fanboys as well. Do explain how Microsoft tracks worldwide sales from every retailer they've shipped to? I thought every company uses shipped to retailers...

they really just change the argument when it suits them
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
Good numbers thus far.
thomasward00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 thomasward00
Member since 2004 • 96 Posts

It doesn't matter, neither will sell over 10 million during the lifespans of both consoles, each console has between 40-45 mil worldwide sales, that means that AT BEST 1/4th of the installed base will have this peripheral, after the frist 3 months the amount of well done motion control specific games will be very small and both of these system will have been deemed a waste of money.

An item MUST ship with a console from day 1 to truly become successful, add ons never really work out for the consumer.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6968 Posts

[QUOTE="shinrabanshou"]

TintedEyes

Its weird lems are just eating up the sold to consumers without question, when sony said it though they wouldn't believe it.

What's weird about it? MS has chosen to speak about sell through numbers and made that clear. Sony has chosen to speak about shipped numbers, and when questioned has made that clear.

As far as sell through, that is not particularly difficult for a manufacturer to estimate shortly after launch of a new product, especially a well selling product by comparing initial shipments with reorder demand.

Sony previously announced 2.5 MM shipped. Now they are announcing 4.1 MM shipped. Consequently, it is reasonable to presume that they have sold at least 1.6 MM units sell through in the time interval between gathering/reporting those two numbers.

It is possible that those numbers could be off by a sizeable amount from either greater demand than expected so inventory on the shelves is actually decreasing or lesser demand than expected so inventory on the shelves is increasing. Sony would have an early indication of which case is true, or if demand is steady,by closely monitoring reorder volumes. Consequently, it would not be hard to estimate sell through volumes. Any marketing department of any reasonably sized product firm does this for a living on a weekly basis.

For a long time the Wii was in a situation where shipped = sell through, because you couldn't find them on the shelves anywhere. Nintendo knew exactly what was happening by monitoring reorder demand. They did not need NPD, MediaCreate etc to tell them this.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="mystervj"]

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

gamer-adam1

Where did MS get their ww sellthrough numbers from?

thomasward00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 thomasward00

What's funny is that both Microsoft by releasing horribly unreliable hardware "Still Is" and the PS3 being Waay overpriced "Still Is" Little ole Nintendo kicked their butts and have changed console gaming forever.

At this point the PS3 and 360 are nearly clones of each other, after the holidays the Wii will have sold close to 80 million worldwide, this spring or summers Wii price drop to either 149 or 129 will really help it move into EVERY home, at this point it is a certain 100-120 million console.

JStroud88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 JStroud88
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

What's funny is that both Microsoft by releasing horribly unreliable hardware "Still Is" and the PS3 being Waay overpriced "Still Is" Little ole Nintendo kicked their butts and have changed console gaming forever.

At this point the PS3 and 360 are nearly clones of each other, after the holidays the Wii will have sold close to 80 million worldwide, this spring or summers Wii price drop to either 149 or 129 will really help it move into EVERY home, at this point it is a certain 100-120 million console.

thomasward00

Right now me and my girlfriend are trying to get the Wii to move out of our home. Purchased it and only bought one game the entire time we've had it.

gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 gamerfan85
Member since 2009 • 652 Posts

The Move was bought by 1 in 10 PlayStation Users. That's crazy impressive for just 90 days. And whoever up there thought the PS3 is still overpriced should try getting a job.

thomasward00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 thomasward00

Serious gamers have PC's for adult games, actually the PS3 should be at 199 now, not to mention the Wii and 360 should be 149. With digital distribution Blu Ray won't be the hit that DVD was.

The PS3 or 360 will never hit a 80 million userbase.

thomasward00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 thomasward00

The Move was bought by 1 in 10 PlayStation Users. That's crazy impressive for just 90 days. And whoever up there thought the PS3 is still overpriced should try getting a job.

gamerfan85

There will still be very, very few move or Kinect specific games.

gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 gamerfan85
Member since 2009 • 652 Posts

[QUOTE="gamerfan85"]

thomasward00

There will still be very, very few move or Kinect specific games.

As far as I'm concerned there don't need to be. I want to see subtle, limited integration in mainstream games (when it's appropriate and doesn't feel shoehorned in). Really I just like it for being an HD Wii at this point and that's enough for the first year.