Playstation Move - 4.1 Million in Two Months

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#401 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="tbolt76"]

TintedEyes, take off your Sony colored glasses and read thisand that.

Note the quote in this - "A Sony representative explained that the 4.1 million actually represents Move units shipped to stores"

Now note the quote in that - "We are thrilled about the consumer response to Kinect, and are working hard with our retail and manufacturing partners to expedite production and shipments of Kinect to restock shelves as fast as possible to keep up with demand."

Again, each company knows exactly how many of what they have sold to end users (sell through reports). They either decide whether or not to release those figures. In this specific case, MS released their sell-through numbers while Sony countered with releasing their sale (channel sales/sales to retailers) numbers. The difference is that in 6 months 1 3.1 million Move controllers could still be sitting on shelves, while the 2.5 million Kinects are in 2.5 million homes.

tbolt76

Lol, neither company knows how many units have sold to consumers.

They do. That is how they know where to ship, how to price and when to pull a product. To think that they don't know sell-through numbers and trends is asinine.

They know where to ship because the retailers have ordered and paid for products. They don't just ship them however many they want.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#402 ianuilliam

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="tbolt76"]

TintedEyes, take off your Sony colored glasses and read thisand that.

Note the quote in this - "A Sony representative explained that the 4.1 million actually represents Move units shipped to stores"

Now note the quote in that - "We are thrilled about the consumer response to Kinect, and are working hard with our retail and manufacturing partners to expedite production and shipments of Kinect to restock shelves as fast as possible to keep up with demand."

Again, each company knows exactly how many of what they have sold to end users (sell through reports). They either decide whether or not to release those figures. In this specific case, MS released their sell-through numbers while Sony countered with releasing their sale (channel sales/sales to retailers) numbers. The difference is that in 6 months 1 3.1 million Move controllers could still be sitting on shelves, while the 2.5 million Kinects are in 2.5 million homes.

delta3074

Lol, neither company knows how many units have sold to consumers.

of course they do, if you send out 2.5 million units and everyone comes back saying they need more then it's common sense to assume that they have run out because they have sold all of there stock so common sense would tell you that there are 2.5 million units sitting in peoples home, it's basic maths and common sense ,lol

So then by that logic, the 4.1 million move controllers is the same thing. They can only ship what the retailers order, so if the retailers keep ordering more, the stock must be selling. As you say, common sense.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#403 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] Lol, neither company knows how many units have sold to consumers.ianuilliam

of course they do, if you send out 2.5 million units and everyone comes back saying they need more then it's common sense to assume that they have run out because they have sold all of there stock so common sense would tell you that there are 2.5 million units sitting in peoples home, it's basic maths and common sense ,lol

So then by that logic, the 4.1 million move controllers is the same thing. They can only ship what the retailers order, so if the retailers keep ordering more, the stock must be selling. As you say, common sense.

that's the way i see it, exactly, we should just focus on the numbers both companys give us and not complicate things trying to figure out how those companys calculate those numbers, both MS and SONY SELL there hardware to retailers, so they are sales anyway and should be counted as such, as far as i am concerned shipped numbers=sales.
Blaze-Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#404 Blaze-Agent
Member since 2010 • 1951 Posts

That move sold through number is bogus. Its provided by VGchartzx. Its absolutely meaningless because all they do is guess work. They have no data for EU US nor Asia.

SacredMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407 SacredMG
Member since 2010 • 341 Posts
Kinect and xbox 360 is out of stock in US Amazon, so i guess that one sell huge for sure
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408 ianuilliam

Kinect and xbox 360 is out of stock in US Amazon, so i guess that one sell huge for sureSacredMG
I just went on Amazon... and found 360s, 360 kinect bundles, and kinects by themselves, all in stock....

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#409 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

[QUOTE="SacredMG"]Kinect and xbox 360 is out of stock in US Amazon, so i guess that one sell huge for sureianuilliam

I just went on Amazon... and found 360s, 360 kinect bundles, and kinects by themselves, all in stock....

They probably got more in. They were completely out of stock on Saturday 11/27 (day after Black Friday). Most retailers get in restock on Tues or Wed. Check Amazon again on Saturday and see if they are still in stock. Move shipped 4.1 million in 2 months. Kinect sold 2.5 million in 25 days. That's 5 million in 50 days if the same pace continues, which it probably will. So 5 million in left then 2 months.
Avatar image for KevinnButlerNPK
KevinnButlerNPK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410 KevinnButlerNPK
Member since 2010 • 1145 Posts
[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="SacredMG"]Kinect and xbox 360 is out of stock in US Amazon, so i guess that one sell huge for sureblackace

They probably got more in. They were completely out of stock on Saturday 11/27 (day after Black Friday). Most retailers get in restock on Tues or Wed. Check Amazon again on Saturday and see if they are still in stock. Move shipped 4.1 million in 2 months. Kinect sold 2.5 million in 25 days. That's 5 million in 50 days if the same pace continues, which it probably will. So 5 million in left then 2 months.

The prices are also inflated due to high demand a new Kinect for $229....
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412 ianuilliam

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="SacredMG"]Kinect and xbox 360 is out of stock in US Amazon, so i guess that one sell huge for sureblackace

Things selling out on Black Friday is not exactly some kind of amazing feat. I used to work at a major retail chain. On black friday, we spent most of the day writing out rain checks in the Electronics and Toys sections for things that sold out.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50647 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] Lol, neither company knows how many units have sold to consumers.-Snooze-

Not having enough stock would lose you money. Only a a poorly managed store would allow itself to ever completely run out of stock and an item in demand. Common sense would dictate that they order new stock when current stock is below a certain point, and a large demand is still expected.

So MS and Sony can NEVER be 100% sure how many of their hardware has been sold to a customer. Thety can make very accurate estimates though.

That common sense thing, throw it out the window!
HailedJohnDman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414 HailedJohnDman
Member since 2010 • 1588 Posts

*facepalm* 4.1 million SOLD TO RETAILERS. NOT CONSUMERS.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#415 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="ianuilliam"]I just went on Amazon... and found 360s, 360 kinect bundles, and kinects by themselves, all in stock....

ianuilliam

Things selling out on Black Friday is not exactly some kind of amazing feat. I used to work at a major retail chain. On black friday, we spent most of the day writing out rain checks in the Electronics and Toys sections for things that sold out.

I don't know of any retailers who give out Rain Checks on Black Friday. Are you sure you worked for an Electronics store on Black Friday? I worked at Toys R Us on that day once. No rain checks and really no sales. All they have are those dumb coupon books. Most retailers jack up the prices of their products and then give you 33-50% off. JCPenneys, Macys, and several other retailers are notorious for doing this. Anyways, Kinect was selling out on Amazon and Gamestop.com before Black Friday, so.....
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 ianuilliam

HailedJohnDman

*facepalm* Retailers don't keep buying products if they aren't selling. As Sony said, when they clarified the numbers as sold to retailer, "the key is that our retailers continue to ask for more Move units and are taking every unit we can supply them with based on their sales." The reason they use shipped numbers is the same reason all companies use them in their fiscal reports. They are more accurate. There is no way to reliably track worldwide sell-through data.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="HailedJohnDman"]

ianuilliam

*facepalm* Retailers don't keep buying products if they aren't selling. As Sony said, when they clarified the numbers as sold to retailer, "the key is that our retailers continue to ask for more Move units and are taking every unit we can supply them with based on their sales." The reason they use shipped numbers is the same reason all companies use them in their fiscal reports. They are more accurate. There is no way to reliably track worldwide sell-through data.

People, mainly those with an obvious agenda for some reason against a certain company, just can't accept this.
HailedJohnDman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418 HailedJohnDman

[QUOTE="HailedJohnDman"]

ianuilliam

in that case kinect units must be like what 5-6 million with that logic?

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419 ianuilliam

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="blackace"] They probably got more in. They were completely out of stock on Saturday 11/27 (day after Black Friday). Most retailers get in restock on Tues or Wed. Check Amazon again on Saturday and see if they are still in stock. Move shipped 4.1 million in 2 months. Kinect sold 2.5 million in 25 days. That's 5 million in 50 days if the same pace continues, which it probably will. So 5 million in left then 2 months. blackace

I don't know of any retailers who give out Rain Checks on Black Friday. Are you sure you worked for an Electronics store on Black Friday? I worked at Toys R Us on that day once. No rain checks and really no sales. All they have are those dumb coupon books. Most retailers jack up the prices of their products and then give you 33-50% off. JCPenneys, Macys, and several other retailers are notorious for doing this. Anyways, Kinect was selling out on Amazon and Gamestop.com before Black Friday, so.....

Yes, I did work at a retail store that sold electronics (Target). Most electronics stores don't give out rain checks on Black Friday, because they don't actually have things on sale. A rain check just allows you to buy something at a slae price at a later date due to it being sold out. Things like PS3s and 360s never go on sale... they just offer you extra stuff in teh form of a bundle. As it's not really a sale, they don't generally hand out rain checks. My point was that things sell out on Black Friday.

As for Kinect selling out before Black Friday, that's not that uncommon for a new electronic device either. Often supplies are short, and also, it can take some time for retailers to get a feel for demand, resulting in temporary sell-outs between shipments. When all is said and done though, it's not like Kinect is selling out everywhere and staying that way. I have yet to walk into Target or WalMart where I live and not see any on the shelf, and whenever I randomly look it up online, I've been able to find them in stock as well. Maybe I'm just randomly always checking the day they get new stock in?

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420 ianuilliam

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="HailedJohnDman"]

HailedJohnDman

MS is estimating 2.5 million sellthrough (again, there is no way to accurately track global sell through data), based on what they have already shipped, and how much retailers are reordering based on their sales. Nobody knows their shipped, because they haven't announced it. Sony states they have shipped 4.1 million units. The only differences between the numbers is that shipped numbers are more accurate (because they know how many they've sold and shipped to retailers) and shipped have a bit of lead-time built in (shipped numbers aren't sold to consumers yet, but retailers won't keep taking units if they aren't selling). I know there are people around here who like to assume that Sony's shipped numbers are always inflated, and that when they ship 4 million, that means consumers bought like 100k and 3.9 million are sitting on store shelves, but that's not really how it works.

Avatar image for KevinnButlerNPK
KevinnButlerNPK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421 KevinnButlerNPK
Member since 2010 • 1145 Posts

[QUOTE="KevinnButlerNPK"][QUOTE="blackace"] They probably got more in. They were completely out of stock on Saturday 11/27 (day after Black Friday). Most retailers get in restock on Tues or Wed. Check Amazon again on Saturday and see if they are still in stock. Move shipped 4.1 million in 2 months. Kinect sold 2.5 million in 25 days. That's 5 million in 50 days if the same pace continues, which it probably will. So 5 million in left then 2 months. AncientDozer

The prices are also inflated due to high demand a new Kinect for $229....

Kevin Butler, you've switched sides?!

I'm the real kevin Butler, ex Chicago Bear
HailedJohnDman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422 HailedJohnDman

[QUOTE="HailedJohnDman"]

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]*facepalm* Retailers don't keep buying products if they aren't selling. As Sony said, when they clarified the numbers as sold to retailer, "the key is that our retailers continue to ask for more Move units and are taking every unit we can supply them with based on their sales." The reason they use shipped numbers is the same reason all companies use them in their fiscal reports. They are more accurate. There is no way to reliably track worldwide sell-through data.

ianuilliam

MS is estimating 2.5 million sellthrough (again, there is no way to accurately track global sell through data), based on what they have already shipped, and how much retailers are reordering based on their sales. Nobody knows their shipped, because they haven't announced it. Sony states they have shipped 4.1 million units. The only differences between the numbers is that shipped numbers are more accurate (because they know how many they've sold and shipped to retailers) and shipped have a bit of lead-time built in (shipped numbers aren't sold to consumers yet, but retailers won't keep taking units if they aren't selling). I know there are people around here who like to assume that Sony's shipped numbers are always inflated, and that when they ship 4 million, that means consumers bought like 100k and 3.9 million are sitting on store shelves, but that's not really how it works.

so, would you agree that kinect is still more successful than the move?

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424 ianuilliam

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="HailedJohnDman"]

HailedJohnDman

Not really. It may be selling at a faster rate at the moment, but it is still behind (going purely by the numbers that each company has shared; anything else is speculation). 360 fans like to pull the "ps3 is still third in sales" card, despite the fact that ps3 has been selling at a faster rate ever since it was released, so by that logic, Kinect is in last place.

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
Actually, those are shipped to retailers whereas kinects 2.5 million were specifically stated to be sold to consumers.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427 Chutebox  Online
[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="HailedJohnDman"]

MFDOOM1983

Not really. It may be selling at a faster rate at the moment, but it is still behind (going purely by the numbers that each company has shared; anything else is speculation). 360 fans like to pull the "ps3 is still third in sales" card, despite the fact that ps3 has been selling at a faster rate ever since it was released, so by that logic, Kinect is in last place.

Seems like cows and lems are a bunch of hypocrites.

Does this surprise you?
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="ianuilliam"]Not really. It may be selling at a faster rate at the moment, but it is still behind (going purely by the numbers that each company has shared; anything else is speculation). 360 fans like to pull the "ps3 is still third in sales" card, despite the fact that ps3 has been selling at a faster rate ever since it was released, so by that logic, Kinect is in last place.

Chutebox

Seems like cows and lems are a bunch of hypocrites.

Does this surprise you?

Not really. Fact 360 has outsold ps3 and move has outsold kinect. Fact ps3 is currently selling more units than 360 and kinect is currently selling more units than move. What are these people arguing about?

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#430 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

who cares about which sold more. they both competing to keep up with the wii, they both sold ok for peripherals with lackluster lineups.

all i know is that in my store we barely get any moves or kinects everywhere else idk but congratulation sony and ms i guess

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="HailedJohnDman"]

HailedJohnDman

If it's really selling out everywhere then yes this would follow that logic, that is if MS released reports saying they have shipped 4-5m Kinects.
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#432 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
i mean come on, its obvious that kinect sold more than move HailedJohnDman
Then why not just link it then get this thread over with?
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#433 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

I'm very surprised by that, I thought with the larger amount of 360 owners, more advertising, and more appeal to the demographic (more casual gamers own 360s than PS3s on average), that Kinect would outsell Move by 2:1 or more. I have yet to buy mine though.

tbolt76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#434 tbolt76
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

[QUOTE="tbolt76"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] Lol, neither company knows how many units have sold to consumers.ianuilliam

They do. That is how they know where to ship, how to price and when to pull a product. To think that they don't know sell-through numbers and trends is asinine.

They know where to ship because the retailers have ordered and paid for products. They don't just ship them however many they want.

It isn't just about shipping. There are discounts, ad campaigns, give aways. They know the sell-through numbers. They get reports that everyone from the marketing department to budget analysts use on a daily basis. They have databases (see Siebel Analytics) that allow them to track this data. Companies choose not to release this data.
tbolt76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#435 tbolt76
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

of course they do, if you send out 2.5 million units and everyone comes back saying they need more then it's common sense to assume that they have run out because they have sold all of there stock so common sense would tell you that there are 2.5 million units sitting in peoples home, it's basic maths and common sense ,loldelta3074

that's the way i see it, exactly, we should just focus on the numbers both companys give us and not complicate things trying to figure out how those companys calculate those numbers, both MS and SONY SELL there hardware to retailers, so they are sales anyway and should be counted as such, as far as i am concerned shipped numbers=sales.

Not true. If product that is sold to retailers does not sell, the retailers have the option to return that product to the vendor for credits or discount the item with the vendor reimbursing the difference.
gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436 gamerfan85
Member since 2009 • 652 Posts

Companies nowadays are very good at anticipating demand and units shipped now equals units sold more than ever. Try buying a Move controller on Amazon right now and you'll see what kind of demand there really is.