Obama says school year should be longer - States disagree

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#151 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Stanley09"] Parents availability to kids should not be considered in school time hours. The vast majority of students have the capability to get picked up/bus/walk/get ride from friend homeStanley09

.. I disagree.. The poor have numerous problems in this area, furthermore this excludes kids who are below high school that need to have some one watch them.

I assume they dont have any after school programs/day care/ etc? what other "problems" do they have?

The fact of the matter the parent has to work 60 hour weeks alot of times for support? And schools do not have the funds to properly fund such programs often times.. Its a really hard issue to consider.. Especially when some schools are falling apart and have literally no funds.

Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

No. He's probably doing this for all the drop out rates or the high stupidity our schools have. Making school days longer wont solve it. Its the kids attitude. Seriously i HATE school but i still go there and get my grades. While all the other kids dont give a sh**. THey sit there talking to their firends across the room yelling profanty and other crap. Seriously just today, we were told to do this practice sheet and we would go over it in 15 mins. I did it while all the freaking " bad-as*es" sat there doing nothing saying why would we do this if we're going over it? I'm like ugh so when we take the test we can do it on our own. And then i love how those kids ask for the teacher to take grades on easy assignments cause they " need points" because they never do the " harder" assignments when a freaking 6th grader could do. ( im in 11th). God i hate my school.

/rant

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
I think it could help. They don't necessarily have to increase the number of days, but they could increase the daily hours.
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts

[QUOTE="xaos"]I'm unsurprised that the states are opposed, considering that it would cost a lot more. I think that the government is only a relatively small part of the solution to US education woes. To me, the real problem is the attitude of disdain toward education that is so deeply embedded in our culture.comp_atkins

i was in a roundtable discussion not too long ago with one of the high level executives where i work ( a large international corporation ) and this was one of the things he actually spoke about. in other countries it is considered an honor to be educated. in this country it is viewed by many as a burden and the approach taken it to get by with minimal effort.... what will we end up with when we have a generations of people doing the bare minimum and just "putting in their time"?

Plenty of people in school are going above and beyond, getting into top schools etc. We will never have a generation of total bums
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Stanley09
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Stanley09"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

.. I disagree.. The poor have numerous problems in this area, furthermore this excludes kids who are below high school that need to have some one watch them.

I assume they dont have any after school programs/day care/ etc? what other "problems" do they have?

The fact of the matter the parent has to work 60 hour weeks alot of times for support? And schools do not have the funds to properly fund such programs often times.. Its a really hard issue to consider.. Especially when some schools are falling apart and have literally no funds.

Well what would increasing school hours do? If they have no funds why would they consider making a longer day?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
I think it could help. They don't necessarily have to increase the number of days, but they could increase the daily hours. Tauruslink
Eh...the brain shuts down after awhile and doesn't really "learn". You should not over estimate what a break can do.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I think that there are quality issues of education that need to be addressed with the quantity. I suppose that I don't oppose longer school years though. More education over the long haul, and less loss from summer down time.

Longer days? I dunno. Might remove necessary time for kids to unwind.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 LJS9502_basic

I think that there are quality issues of education that need to be addressed with the quantity. I suppose that I don't oppose longer school years though. More education over the long haul, and less loss from summer down time.

coolbeans90
I don't understand the summer argument TBH. I never had a problem with it.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#159 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

I really don't understand how anyone can have disdain for education and not make an effort to succeed in school. Do they think working manual labor and getting paid $18k a year makes them cool?

I think that standards need to be brought up,the school year needs to be longer,summer vacation needs to be much shorter and a larger focus on the core elements of education is needed. In my high school, we had a lot of stupid cl@sses that people would take because they knew they were easy. Having thought it over, I do think our students would benefit greatly from a longer school year. I noticed a lot of history classes I was in almost never covered anything past World War II because the teachers simply ran out of time. We ended up skimming over nearly every modern war the United States has been in. This didn't particularly affect me because I do a lot of independent learning,but the students in that class probably graduated with barely any knowledge of what happened in Korea,Vietnam,Lebanon,Grenada,Panama,Iraq,etc. That is a pretty frightening prospect that we have young people with virtually no knowledge of what happened in the last 60 years.

Another Part of the problem is schools are holding students hands too much. If a student isn't catching on to the material being learned then he or she needs to be held back. We aren't doing kids any favors by inflating grades or passing them based on effort.

**It should be noted that my experience in an AP History class was much better**

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

LJS9502_basic

A lot of kids, especially blacks and hispanics living in the inner city do have a lot of difficulty retaining what they've learned throughout the school year over the summer. That's the major reason why our education system looks so bad, because of the academic performance of kids who go to school in the inner city.
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#161 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
5 or 10 more school days a year are worthless if those days are spent doing what they are now. :?
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Stanley09
[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

I really don't understand how anyone can have disdain for education and not make an effort to succeed in school. Do they think working manual labor and getting paid $18k a year makes them cool?

I think that standards need to be brought up,the school year needs to be longer,summer vacation needs to be much shorter and a larger focus on the core elements of education is needed. In my high school, we had a lot of stupid cl@sses that people would take because they knew they were easy. Having thought it over, I do think our students would benefit greatly from a longer school year. I noticed a lot of history classes I was in almost never covered anything past World War II because the teachers simply ran out of time. We ended up skimming over nearly every modern war the United States has been in. This didn't particularly affect me because I do a lot of independent learning,but the students in that class probably graduated with barely any knowledge of what happened in Korea,Vietnam,Lebanon,Grenada,Panama,Iraq,etc. That is a pretty frightening prospect that we have young people with virtually no knowledge of what happened in the last 60 years.

Another Part of the problem is schools are holding students hands too much. If a student isn't catching on to the material being learned then he or she needs to be held back. We aren't doing kids any favors by inflating grades or passing them based on effort.

**It should be noted that my experience in an AP History class was much better**

Ive always found it annoying how history class was always stuff 1900 and earlier. I dont get why, the current stuff is far more interesting and more needed for knowledge. Luckily this year, the last year of required history , is American history which is WW1 to current
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#163 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38686 Posts

I really don't understand how anyone can have disdain for education and not make an effort to succeed in school. Do they think working manual labor and getting paid $18k a year makes them cool? UnknownSniper65

i think some of it is the student determining what will be important to know in the future. like the whole "when am i ever going to use trigonometry?!?" argument. if a student has already decided that their future will have no need to a subject many will just tune out.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

-Sun_Tzu-

A lot of kids, especially blacks and hispanics living in the inner city do have a lot of difficulty retaining what they've learned throughout the school year over the summer. That's the major reason why our education system looks so bad, because of the academic performance of kids who go to school in the inner city.

Well I don't think it's actually learned if it isn't retained....maybe we should do something about making sure it's learned and not just memorized for a test.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

Stanley09

Ive always found it annoying how history class was always stuff 1900 and earlier. I dont get why, the current stuff is far more interesting and more needed for knowledge. Luckily this year, the last year of required history , is American history which is WW1 to current

It may have just been my high school. For some stupid reason they taught American history from 1776-1990 and it was simply too much to teach in one year. My school always ranked highly because they focused so much on math,science,writing and reading. Figures they would completely screw over their history classes by bulking them together.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I don't understand the summer argument TBH. I never had a problem with it.LJS9502_basic

Well I don't think it's actually learned if it isn't retained....maybe we should do something about making sure it's learned and not just memorized for a test.

It is possible to forget things after you learned them. I can use myself as an example of this; I used to play trumpet for my school band. I wasn't great at it, but I knew what I was doing. That was quite some time ago, and I can't play trumpet anymore at all. I also was once able to read hebrew pretty well, nowadays I don't think I'd be able to even recite the alphabet let alone actually read something in hebrew. A more relevant example is my experiences with math; I remember by the end of my senior year in high school I could derive, integrate, and optimize with the best of 'em, and later that fall I had some real difficulties with math when we were covering things that earlier that year I was great at.

I did not cram the night before to memorize these skill sets for a test, I understood these things at a conceptual level - I learned them. But if you don't continue to study and reinforce what you know, you're not going to know what you know for a long period of time.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

As others had said before, we need better schools, not longer schools, although longer schools would help a few AP classes that struggle to fit everything in in the year they are given.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

LJS9502_basic

Might just be me, but normally I tend to retain very little knowledge from school during the summer.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
As a high school student, I agree with Obama; however, a more important issue is funding. Once we can get proper education funding (especially in the south), then we could talk about longer school years.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#171 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

What does the rest of the industrialized world do? We should be on par with that.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

If we stop giving teachers ridiculous benefits, maybe we could afford getting more teachers and improving schools. Just a thought.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Sorry but quanity wont ensure quality. By far.

Why do people always answer with "more" when they think things arent good, in stead of considering that perhaps its the quality that should be taken care of?

Such simplistic equations wont get anyone (or any nation) very far.

I disagree with Obama.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I disagree with Obama.

Teenaged

:shock:

I think I just had a coronary.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#175 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Can he focus on one thing before moving on to the other. he already ruined healthcare, don't screw up education too especially while i'm at school.
TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

I think we need to make people want to learn and make good grades. The people who really bring us down are the ones who just don't give a ****.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

I disagree with Obama.

airshocker

How biased did (or "do") you think I am?! :x

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

We need to put finding on a state or federal level to make sure all schools recieve some minimal level of funding. Teachers should be moved around by the states to where they are needed. Days should be extened as well as hours.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

If we stop giving teachers ridiculous benefits, maybe we could afford getting more teachers and improving schools. Just a thought.

airshocker

How in the name of all that is good and holy would that help? I could be wrong, but teaching (particularly at the public-school level) has never struck me as a particularly well-compensated profession.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the US and Canada follow very similar school schedules, yet Canada generally does quite well in international education rankings (particularly when it comes to math and science). Obviously it isn't an apples to apples comparison (different demographics and such), but lengthening the school year seems like it should be more of an absolute last-resort (as others have said, spending more time in a broken system isn't necessarily going to improve the result).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Teenaged

Just picking on you. :)

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

PBSnipes

How in the name of all that is good and holy would that help?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the US and Canada follow very similar school schedules, yet Canada generally does quite well in international education rankings (particularly when it comes to math and science). Obviously it isn't an apples to apples comparison (different demographics and such), but lengthening the school year seems like it should be more of an absolute last-resort (as others have said, spending more time in a broken system isn't necessarily going to improve the result).

To the canadians, how well is your education funded and on what level is it funded?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

airshocker

Just picking on you. :)

Yeah got that.

Or else you'd get the ":|" smiley. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

How in the name of all that is good and holy would that help? I could be wrong, but teaching (particularly at the public-school level) has never struck me as a particularly well-compensated profession.

PBSnipes

Because in my area(NY and NJ) teachers are given absolutely ridiculous benefits that they don't have to pay for. EVER. Ridiculous pensions and ridiculous healthcare and dental. It's a major drain on the state economy and is one of the major reasons why both states had to take chainsaws to their budgets.

The Teacher's union has a stranglehold on both of those states. They don't care about the students, only about themselves. We need to make it about the students.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Yeah got that.

Or else you'd get the ":|" smiley. :P

Teenaged

Oh, I don't want that smiley. :P

warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 warownslife
Member since 2010 • 5289 Posts

No. I'm not having my saturdays and sundays gone. If they take away my saturdays i would be pissed, would demand them back and wouldn't give up ever. Might even start a strike but i would still go to school. If they take away my sundays all hell will break loose. At most i would allow 30 days. Any more then that and i'm dropping out tommorow. Also for hours at most 2 1/2 hours.

Rez89x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Rez89x
Member since 2010 • 84 Posts
Longer school days and years won't improve education. If anything. it'll make it worse. It's such a chore going to school for 40 hours a week and having to do homework everyday. Teaching methods aren't effective anymore. The way the American school system works is you get taught a lot of material within a certain time period for the test and then afterward, the material is irrelevant and never used again. We don't learn, we memorize until the test and then forget about it.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

I disagree with Obama.

airshocker

:lol: i think i just fell off my chair..
warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 warownslife

Longer school days and years won't improve education. If anything. it'll make it worse. It's such a chore going to school for 40 hours a week and having to do homework everyday. Teaching methods aren't effective anymore. The way the American school system works is you get taught a lot of material within a certain time period for the test and then afterward, the material is irrelevant and never used again. We don't learn, we memorize until the test and then forget about it.Rez89x
I have a great memory at least and really thats all i need in life. Also awesome avy.

GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 GD-1369211121
Member since 2006 • 4087 Posts

No, it's already long enough. Maybe Obama should worry about the war and the horrible econemy instead of worrying about something he has no control over.

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

Well how long does he want to extend it to? So long as it isn't extensive it's kind of OK, if it increases my school day by like three hours so I'm coming home at 5:30 that wouldn't be good.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

I say we let all the kids vote on it. After all, it's them being affected and it's a perfect exercise in democracy for the youth of America.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

To the canadians, how well is your education funded and on what level is it funded?

Former_Slacker

The most recent article I was able to find says Canada spends 6.1% of GDP on education (as compared to an OECD average of 5.7% and the US at 7.6%) as of 2006.

I'm not sure which level of government is primarily responsible for funding (I'd assume it's a mix of all three), but the Provinces are generally the one's calling the shots.

Also, it seems (according to wikipedia, anyway) that Canada does have ~190 school year as opposed to the US's ~180, for whatever that 10 day difference is worth.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#194 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

I disagree with Obama.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

:lol: i think i just fell off my chair..

I had to wipe my eyes so I could see my monitor.:lol:

Rez89x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Rez89x
Member since 2010 • 84 Posts

[QUOTE="Rez89x"]Longer school days and years won't improve education. If anything. it'll make it worse. It's such a chore going to school for 40 hours a week and having to do homework everyday. Teaching methods aren't effective anymore. The way the American school system works is you get taught a lot of material within a certain time period for the test and then afterward, the material is irrelevant and never used again. We don't learn, we memorize until the test and then forget about it.warownslife

I have a great memory at least and really thats all i need in life. Also awesome avy.

Thanks. I have a great memory too but not everyone does, and increasing school days/year would be irrelevant. The fact is, our education system needs to be changed to be more productive and efficient.
Jipset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Jipset
Member since 2008 • 2410 Posts

I already spend too much of my time in school thank you very much Mr. Obama.

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Hope not. Obama making too many changes too fast.

warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 warownslife

[QUOTE="warownslife"]

[QUOTE="Rez89x"]Longer school days and years won't improve education. If anything. it'll make it worse. It's such a chore going to school for 40 hours a week and having to do homework everyday. Teaching methods aren't effective anymore. The way the American school system works is you get taught a lot of material within a certain time period for the test and then afterward, the material is irrelevant and never used again. We don't learn, we memorize until the test and then forget about it.Rez89x

Thanks. I have a great memory too but not everyone does, and increasing school days/year would be irrelevant. The fact is, our education system needs to be changed to be more productive and efficient.

I know. I am learning the exact same thing my mother learned 20-25 years ago. I should be learning new stuff. Its just not smart. I deserve to learn more than whats requrired on a test.

aRE-you-AFraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 aRE-you-AFraid
Member since 2006 • 3234 Posts
I'm going to punch Obama.