Obama says school year should be longer - States disagree

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

He doesn't really explain why he thinks it should be longer...

I don't think it will help...also, whoever said it was "almost a month"..way to exaggerate...i don't know any months that are ALMOST 17 days long...

Xx_Hopeless_xX
There are about 20 school days in a month, so yeah.....
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

The system needs a major overhaul. This has to be the third time I am clarifying this in this thread. Increasing the duration of school after that overhaul will only serve to benefit students.

Dark_Knight6

And? I'm clarifying that I don't agree with your opinion to cut defense....which was the point of your last post was it not?

And? You keep repeating the same rhetoric over and over again, ignoring fundamental parts of my point.

How could I have ignored the fundamental part of you point when I CLEARLY addressed your idea of cutting defense?
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]

I recall a lot of time being wasted while sitting in class in High School. I don't really think making school years longer would do anything.

LJS9502_basic

Increase cost and absenteeism.....

Well, positivie, at least.

Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Ultimas_Blade
Member since 2004 • 3671 Posts

Yeah...but I still don't see the need for more days. The system would be better spent with tax deductions for private education. When you have government involved...it's always substandard.LJS9502_basic

Yeah, suppose that's why the military, police, highway system, etc are all substandard. By that way of thinking ANY incorporated entity is substandard. Assumptions FTL. Tax deductions for private education just makes it CHEAPER for those who can ALREADY afford to send their kids to any school they want is just as dumb an idea as tax cuts geared toward the rich to create jobs, you'll end up with a defunded public system and an overly funded private system with additional bonanza of taxpayer money.

If you already have the money there is no reason that you need help accomplishing things like paying tuition or opening an ACTUAL small business. Tax cuts are suppose to help those who are ambitious but could use the extra funds to help their business. If you are already rich there is no purpose in helping you.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]And? I'm clarifying that I don't agree with your opinion to cut defense....which was the point of your last post was it not?LJS9502_basic

And? You keep repeating the same rhetoric over and over again, ignoring fundamental parts of my point.

How could I have ignored the fundamental part of you point when I CLEARLY addressed your idea of cutting defense?

While you continually repost your "QUALITY>QUANTITY" rhetoric, which was already dealt with.

QuetzaIcoatl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 QuetzaIcoatl
Member since 2010 • 314 Posts
[QUOTE="ihateaynrand"][QUOTE="QuetzaIcoatl"] Do you guys really think we have to choose between money for the military, money for helping the lower classes, and money for education?

To a degree, yes. You have to strike a balance.

So we have to choose between safety, equality, and education? That just seems silly to me.
vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

A longer school year is definitely not something that should be focused on. Whether or not it should be done, I have nothing to say. The whole system needs help first. Adding a longer school year now, I feel might increase the dropout rate.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
It does need to be longer. Students, especially in the inner-cities, regress a horrible amount over the summer. Our long summer vacation is a relic of our once mostly agrarian society, but we aren't living in that society anymore. The majority of people in the U.S. now live in an urban environment. There is no justification whatsoever for keeping the U.S. school year as short as it currently is.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Should stay the same. But stop wasting the time with stupid pointless tasks. also less CIasses a day and stay in each CIass longer might help to get the most out of the day
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

No, we don't need more edumacation.

artichoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 artichoke
Member since 2006 • 2271 Posts
Just making it longer probably wouldn't do much but combined with increasing the quality of the education it would be a good thing. As much as I loved my summer break, it'd probably be best if they made it shorter. Too much is lost during the summer months.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts

racer8dan
*Thinks of Pink Floyd song even tho the line isn't the same* Its close
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

I think presidents should get less vacation days....

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

only if that extra time is spent on things like math and science. Wasted way too much time on worthless BS back in highschool.

I used to be really into computer programming and 3d modeling back then... but had little spare time due to all the worthless busy work they gave me. I cant help but feel if i had less school work i probably would have been much more successful in life.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

I don't think that the problem is how many school days we have. We could have school 365 days a year for 10 hours a day and everything would be the same. We need better teachers and overall better schooling with a set requirement for passing and teachers should be held accountable for their students. If a teacher is a good teacher from my experience most people do very well in their class including the class clown. He may get in trouble more than the rest, but in some classes that I've had in HS even the class idiot engaged in intelligent discussions because of the amazing teacher. This problem also exist in college, but to a much elsser degree.

Jumbo120788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Jumbo120788
Member since 2004 • 14956 Posts
Longer school years mean bigger payout which equates to higher taxes....I'll pass.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

He doesn't really explain why he thinks it should be longer...

I don't think it will help...also, whoever said it was "almost a month"..way to exaggerate...i don't know any months that are ALMOST 17 days long...

Xx_Hopeless_xX
September 1752 was 19 days long. Which has nothing to do with anything but just reminded me.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

You know part of me says yes. It would help to have a few more days so that students have a bit more time to understand what they are learning. The other part of me says we should stop and think of the children. Whats worse is that this would also add additional time to the parents who need to help their kids with homework.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 -Sun_Tzu-

You know part of me says yes. It would help to have a few more days so that students have a bit more time to understand what they are learning. The other part of me says we should stop and think of the children. Whats worse is that this would also add additional time to the parents who need to help their kids with homework.

Serraph105
Increasing the length of the school year would actually probably ease the lives of parents. Child care is a big reason why many mothers on welfare aren't able to get a job because the're very few options as to who is taking care of their children over the summer. Also, parents often have more difficulty finding something for their kids to do over the summer than during either the weekend or after school.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

It's not the amount of schooling that needs to be changed. It's that the time already spent could be used for much better purposes. Teachers spend time getting their students prepared for moronic standardized testing (PSSA, "No Child Left Behind" due to the rewards it gives the school if the students do well) rather than teaching the material that'll actually be useful for higher education.

xromad01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 xromad01
Member since 2010 • 522 Posts

my 3 kids spend less time in school than public school kids and their education is much better.

i would say the main problem isn't the length of the school year,or money or teachers.the problem is the students and parents.i will lose pretty much everything i own before sending my kids to public school.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 bigblunt537

Serraph105

Honestly if a kid doesn't want to learn then they are not going to learn extra day or not. We need better teachers that can engage with these students. From personal experience i know that it CAN be done with the right teachers. I also know that some teachers are terrible and hateful people and shouldn't be teachers because they get off on failing kids or pushing them in a negative way. Better teachers is the answer. Not more school days.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 bigblunt537

my 3 kids spend less time in school than public school kids and their education is much better.

i would say the main problem isn't the length of the school year,or money or teachers.the problem is the students and parents.i will lose pretty much everything i own before sending my kids to public school.

xromad01

Agree with the first part, but is it really the public schools fault or is it the teachers fault? For example my cousin went to public school in the "hood" and although he's a bit ghetto he's one of the smartest people that I know. He's a friggen human calculator. With the right teachers only good can happen.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Serraph105

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

bigblunt537

Honestly if a kid doesn't want to learn then they are not going to learn extra day or not. We need better teachers that can engage with these students. From personal experience i know that it CAN be done with the right teachers. I also know that some teachers are terrible and hateful people and shouldn't be teachers because they get off on failing kids or pushing them in a negative way. Better teachers is the answer. Not more school days.

well from personal experience I have found that the less time you wait to get back on something the easier it is to do when I pick it up again. This made coming back from summer vacation especially hard.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Not a bad idea,but I question the overall effect it will have. When I was in Highschool we spent most of the last month preparing for our finals. An extra 17 days wouldn't exactly fix every school that is falling behind the rest of the country.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#76 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

racer8dan

We don't need no thought control...Pink Floyd.:P

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 bigblunt537

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

Serraph105

well from personal experience I have found that the less time you wait to get back on something the easier it is to do when I pick it up again. This made coming back from summer vacation especially hard.

You are correct about that, but do you think this will magically help anyone whose having education difficulties? Kids that want to learn and enjoy learning or are pressed to do well in school because of their parents will do well and pick up whatever they're learning regardless of how long the school year is. Yes, coming back after the summer can be intimidating as many of the things you've learned may be forgotten, but you will eventually catch up since you actually did learn these things in the first place. Kids that have trouble with schooling whether it's their own fault or the teachers fault aren't going to do better because of a longer school year. Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Serraph105

[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

bigblunt537

You are correct about that, but do you think this will magically help anyone whose having education difficulties? Kids that want to learn and enjoy learning or are pressed to do well in school because of their parents will do well and pick up whatever they're learning regardless of how long the school year is. Yes, coming back after the summer can be intimidating as many of the things you've learned may be forgotten, but you will eventually catch up since you actually did learn these things in the first place. Kids that have trouble with schooling whether it's their own fault or the teachers fault aren't going to do better because of a longer school year. Do you understand where I'm coming from?

yes I do, but les time in between would mean the kids (like myself back then) would pick things back up faster which would save time for teachers. Also another thing Obama is proposing is that we hire better teachers (as stated in my other thread). While this certainly won't help the kids that are doing horrible it may end up helping the kids on the bubble between mediocre-good or bad-mediocre. Basically it might end up helping the kids who are trying, but need a bit of an extra boost. I still don't care for the idea of taking away a kids vacation though.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

topsemag55

We don't need no thought control...Pink Floyd.:P

Just leave us kids alone, is all I'm saying.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Although I would be in favour of increasing the school year, I also think the QUALITY of education should improve. Just adding more hours will not encourage and motivate kids to learn.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 topsemag55

It does need to be longer. Students, especially in the inner-cities, regress a horrible amount over the summer. Our long summer vacation is a relic of our once mostly agrarian society, but we aren't living in that society anymore. The majority of people in the U.S. now live in an urban environment. There is no justification whatsoever for keeping the U.S. school year as short as it currently is.-Sun_Tzu-

You make a good point; however, states are strapped for the cash to pay for fuel for school buses, teachers' salaries, etc. for even a week's extension of schooling.

Plus property taxes are already at prohibitive levels in a lot of states.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
It absolutely should be longer, but that alone will not fix our education problems.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#83 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts
Egh, why not just make school days themselves like 15 minutes longer?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#84 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58485 Posts

this is incredibly rediculous, this belief that quantity=quality.

We do not need longer school years; what we need are tougher standards for teachers; better incentives for teachers to not only do their jobs properly, but go beyond the call of the bare minimum on occassion.

We also need incentives for students; in the real world, you get paid for your work, and I see no reason why the government can't do the same (if you get an A, the government puts x amount of money into a scholorship fund for you for example).

We also need better funding, and in many cases, better methods of funding (the parcel tax method in California is simply rediculous).

I am sick and tired of the government getting too involved; if you think a child believing France is a continent could be remedied by keeping him in school a few extra weeks, youre a complete fool.

Screw that noise: it is time for the 4 10-hour day work week, the 4 9-hour school week (with a fifth day of special activities for gifted students, sports, etc).

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17870 Posts
what are the hours per day in the states? in ireland its 9am-5pm mon-thur and 9-4 on friday as i remember it (secondary school) and then theres homework after that (some teachers wouldnt give homework on friday but most would).
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

I disagree with the idea, the problem is emphasis on standardized testing and teaching based on the tests. My country has a shorter school year than most yet when we go abroad to study in the US most say it's pretty much a cake walk. Quality over quantity Obama, more school would just make children hate it more.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#87 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58485 Posts

what are the hours per day in the states? in ireland its 9am-5pm mon-thur and 9-4 on friday as i remember it (secondary school) and then theres homework after that (some teachers wouldnt give homework on friday but most would).osan0

it depends.

in my high school, its generally 8am to 3pm. However, you could opt for A-period PE or band, so it could be 7AM to 2PM. As a senior (fourth year) in high school, you only need to take like 5 classes, so coupled with my A-period class I was in school from 7am-1pm. Sports practice was generally another 2-4 hours on top of that each day except days of games (Friday)

In elementary and middle school it was 8am to 3pm

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

My state can't afford the schools at it is, there is no way they could afford more. And I seriously doubt it is going to help kids learn more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I think making it longer could help, but I do think that this isn't one of the main reasons why public schools in the U.S. are doing so poorly.
calzeta930

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 calzeta930
Member since 2010 • 720 Posts

While I do agree that school years should be longer, many states, like California are in debt (like a lot of it) and can't afford to extend the school years... and with school districts like LAUSD (which is a complete joke btw) can't even pay teachers on time, or at all for months.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]It does need to be longer. Students, especially in the inner-cities, regress a horrible amount over the summer. Our long summer vacation is a relic of our once mostly agrarian society, but we aren't living in that society anymore. The majority of people in the U.S. now live in an urban environment. There is no justification whatsoever for keeping the U.S. school year as short as it currently is.topsemag55

You make a good point; however, states are strapped for the cash to pay for fuel for school buses, teachers' salaries, etc. for even a week's extension of schooling.

You are right that a lot of states and towns are strapped for cash and that local and state taxes are often too high as a result, but there's a very simple solution to that - increase federal funding. We can't reform the education system in the U.S. without doing that.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]It does need to be longer. Students, especially in the inner-cities, regress a horrible amount over the summer. Our long summer vacation is a relic of our once mostly agrarian society, but we aren't living in that society anymore. The majority of people in the U.S. now live in an urban environment. There is no justification whatsoever for keeping the U.S. school year as short as it currently is.-Sun_Tzu-

You are right that a lot of states and towns are strapped for cash and that local and state taxes are often too high as a result, but there's a very simple solution to that - increase federal funding. We can't reform the education system in the U.S. without doing that.

Thus my contention that the U.S. should reduce foreign aid somewhat, and funnel the savings into education.

Defense spending is only 6% of GDP, whereas total gov't spending is at 45% of GDP...I believe we can reallocate some of that 39%.:P

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i think the length of the year is fine, making it a little longer couldn't hurt though. but i also think school should be more hardcore; make it harder, and harsher punishments for not completing work, skipping class, etc.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="topsemag55"]

topsemag55

Thus my contention that the U.S. should reduce foreign aid somewhat, and funnel the savings into education.

Defense spending is only 6% of GDP, whereas total gov't spending is at 45% of GDP...I believe we can reallocate some of that 39%.:P

You're not going to find as much foreign aid money as you would like, it might not be the greatest idea to cut foreign aid when we are trying to stop the spread of Islamic terrorism and it'd be very hard politically to cut a lot of that foreign aid because of the Israeli lobby and America's relationship with Israel. There are certainly countries that the U.S. would be better off not giving money to, but that amounts to chump change. The best way (and probably the easiest way from a political standpoint) to generate the revenue for education is to let the Bush tax cuts expire, or to at least let them expire for that top bracket (I forget which percentage of Americans fall into that).
Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

I'm not a U.S Citizien but the U.S school year is shorter then the Canadian one by about 10-15 days and has a higher percentage of graduates per capita by about 10-15% Increasing the school year isn't going to make the students any smarter. Infact there was a study showing that the average U.S IQ trumps the Canadian one by 1 point and we go to school longer (190 day school year compared to the 175-180 day U.S school year). Kind of hard to believe seeing as how some Americans can't even point there own country on a map.

I speak against the education system in general by saying class times are to long and weekends are to short. Spending 7-8 hours a day (+ a hour or two of homework) at school for 5/7 days of the week is simply to long. What they need to do is make classes shorter and give a extra day to the weekend. I think you would find smarter students if the education systems stopped putting so much pressure and work on the students and started school at 12pm and went to around 5pm (with a 1 hour break around 3pm) instead of so early in the morning. There are many studies that indicate a vast majority of teenagers go to school sleep deprived and it effects there learning capacity quite a bit. There is other studies indicating high amounts of stress and anxiety on high school students to.

I'm not saying to make the work any easier but to make the day a hour shorter and to start the day a bit later. This would lower the money the government needs to spend on education and up the learning capacity of teens who go to school by quite a bit.

My opinion anyways feel free to go all "IN MY DAY WHEN I WAS A YOUNG KID WE HAD TO____________" World is a lot harder now then it was back thirty years ago....hell you need post secondary education now unless you want to live with your parents for the rest of your life or in a crappy runned down apartment.

XileLord

I am sorry but where did you get your statistics on Canadian education? Last time I looked Canada was ranked like 3rd for pre-secondary and Canada had one of the highest rates of graduation from post secondary?

Also it is hard to beat a education system with a no-fail policy (for graduation stats).

I really don't like the sound of myself being patriotic but I am about Canada's education system as it is pretty top tier. I don't understand your statistics because last time I checked Canada was in the top 3 in the world for pre-secondary schooling.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] You are right that a lot of states and towns are strapped for cash and that local and state taxes are often too high as a result, but there's a very simple solution to that - increase federal funding. We can't reform the education system in the U.S. without doing that. -Sun_Tzu-

You're not going to find as much foreign aid money as you would like, it might not be the greatest idea to cut foreign aid when we are trying to stop the spread of Islamic terrorism and it'd be very hard politically to cut a lot of that foreign aid because of the Israeli lobby and America's relationship with Israel. There are certainly countries that the U.S. would be better off not giving money to, but that amounts to chump change. The best way (and probably the easiest way from a political standpoint) to generate the revenue for education is to let the Bush tax cuts expire, or to at least let them expire for that top bracket (I forget which percentage of Americans fall into that).

Again a good point, but Obama's income cutoff places a lot of small business owners into a Catch-22...they do the most hiring, but won't do any with higher taxation.

My thought would be Obama should raise the cutoff to $1 million.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#97 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

If Teachers would do their job as a teacher effectively and students actually be willing to learn, then longer school years should not be necessary.

quality of teaching > quantity of teaching.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="topsemag55"]

topsemag55

Again a good point, but Obama's income cutoff places a lot of small business owners into a Catch-22...they do the most hiring, but won't do any with higher taxation.

My thought would be Obama should raise the cutoff to $1 million.

The vast majority of small businesses won't be effected by a repeal of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. And even if the Bush tax cuts expired entirely (something that at this point looks unlikely), the tax hike certainly won't overburden small businesses to the point where they can't hire anyone. At this point in time small businesses are much, much, much more worried about sales and revenue than about the Bush tax cuts expiring. The former is the main reason why they are unable to hire new employees.
JadeNic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 JadeNic
Member since 2007 • 905 Posts

Making the school year longer won't change anything if they don't fix the problems with the current system first.

Besides, I remember having entire weeks in some classes in high school, where we would just watch a different movie every class period. Something tells me that if the school year were longer, there would just be more days wasted like this.

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
I don't think that will solve the problem.