Obama says school year should be longer - States disagree

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#101 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

The vast majority of small businesses won't be effected by a repeal of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. And even if the Bush tax cuts expired entirely (something that at this point looks unlikely), the tax hike certainly won't overburden small businesses to the point where they can't hire anyone. At this point in time small businesses are much, much, much more worried about sales and revenue than about the Bush tax cuts expiring. The former is the main reason why they are unable to hire new employees. -Sun_Tzu-

From what I've been seeing on the news, small business owners are loathe to hire because not only due to the tax cuts possibly expiring, but coupled with the increased costs of employee healthcare under the new law.

Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 Loco_Live
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

▲ Won't happen. Kids dont have the attention span. Schools cant afford it. Teachers wont want to work that long. Kids shouldn't be out that late. Obama is crazy. ▲

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] The vast majority of small businesses won't be effected by a repeal of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. And even if the Bush tax cuts expired entirely (something that at this point looks unlikely), the tax hike certainly won't overburden small businesses to the point where they can't hire anyone. At this point in time small businesses are much, much, much more worried about sales and revenue than about the Bush tax cuts expiring. The former is the main reason why they are unable to hire new employees. topsemag55

From what I've been seeing on the news, small business owners are loathe to hire because not only due to the tax cuts possibly expiring, but coupled with the increased costs of employee healthcare under the new law.

You hear a lot of things on the news, but the biggest reason as to why businesses aren't hiring is because of sales.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] The vast majority of small businesses won't be effected by a repeal of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. And even if the Bush tax cuts expired entirely (something that at this point looks unlikely), the tax hike certainly won't overburden small businesses to the point where they can't hire anyone. At this point in time small businesses are much, much, much more worried about sales and revenue than about the Bush tax cuts expiring. The former is the main reason why they are unable to hire new employees. -Sun_Tzu-

You hear a lot of things on the news, but the biggest reason as to why businesses aren't hiring is because of sales.

I saw something like this on Krugman's blog, but it was a bar graph and only included like four factors. Why the hell was insurance cost such an enormous worry earlier in the decade?

Scr00I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Scr00I
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts

No. I wish that the time spent in school is shortened, and that time spent in school is spent well.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] The vast majority of small businesses won't be effected by a repeal of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. And even if the Bush tax cuts expired entirely (something that at this point looks unlikely), the tax hike certainly won't overburden small businesses to the point where they can't hire anyone. At this point in time small businesses are much, much, much more worried about sales and revenue than about the Bush tax cuts expiring. The former is the main reason why they are unable to hire new employees. -Sun_Tzu-

There's one other factor being overlooked when consumer confidence and buying starts to rise again - the price of a barrel of oil.

Cameron Hanover said in a report that the fundamentals currently existing should drive oil to half the price it is now, but greedy oil traders drive the price up at every small sign of good news.

In fact, oil was down to $76, and should have dropped more after the consumer confidence fell to its lowest point since February, but traders ignored this and drove the price up today.

People will spend more in stores if gasoline is cheaper.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

Money is the panacea apparently.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
I'm unsurprised that the states are opposed, considering that it would cost a lot more. I think that the government is only a relatively small part of the solution to US education woes. To me, the real problem is the attitude of disdain toward education that is so deeply embedded in our culture.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#109 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58557 Posts

I'm unsurprised that the states are opposed, considering that it would cost a lot more. I think that the government is only a relatively small part of the solution to US education woes. To me, the real problem is the attitude of disdain toward education that is so deeply embedded in our culture.xaos

you really think American culture looks with disdain upon education?

I can understand that, though I do not necessarily believe it.

On one hand, my first job out of college was as a chef and I was often looked upon as arrogant when I cited something from my education, or often called "College Boy" when I got something wrong (i.e. "c'mon, college boy, you should have known that! What do they teach you there at Cal Poly!?").

On the otherh and, our society tells us college is necessary, even to the point of making the demand for a BS so great to the point that A.) a BS degree doesnt count for much anymore, and B.) only 30% of applicants to many schools are accepted due to the sheer number of applications.

As I am fond of saying, the US is a country of tradeoffs, sacrifices and gains, etc...on one hand we continue to admire the Blue Collar worker and the American Dream, but on the other hand we push our kids to strive for a college education to the point it becomes devalued.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="xaos"]I'm unsurprised that the states are opposed, considering that it would cost a lot more. I think that the government is only a relatively small part of the solution to US education woes. To me, the real problem is the attitude of disdain toward education that is so deeply embedded in our culture.mrbojangles25

On one hand, my first job out of college was as a chef and I was often looked upon as arrogant when I cited something from my education, or often called "College Boy" when I got something wrong (i.e. "c'mon, college boy, you should have known that! What do they teach you there at Cal Poly!?").

On the otherh and, our society tells us college is necessary, even to the point of making the demand for a BS so great to the point that A.) a BS degree doesnt count for much anymore, and B.) only 30% of applicants to many schools are accepted due to the sheer number of applications.

As I am fond of saying, the US is a country of tradeoffs, sacrifices and gains, etc...on one hand we continue to admire the Blue Collar worker and the American Dream, but on the other hand we push our kids to strive for a college education to the point it becomes devalued.

I'm talking about more basic public school and high school education; while parents often pay lip service to how important it is, I've often seen those same parents express commiseration over taking any challenging or college prep-type classes. The whole rock 'n roll, school's out kind of vibe is what I'm thinking, school being regarded as an onerous burden rather than as an opportunity. I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself very well, though.
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 entropyecho

To me, the real problem is the attitude of disdain toward education that is so deeply embedded in our culture.xaos
I would argue disdain towards educators as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="xaos"]To me, the real problem is the attitude of disdain toward education that is so deeply embedded in our culture.entropyecho

I would argue disdain towards educators as well.

True, though on the other hand, teachers' unions are no bargain :P
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 entropyecho

mrbojangles25

I've had a similar experience. I was waiting for someone outside of a lab at my university, which just happens to be in the vicinity of a machine shop where these guys were working on assembling some aluminum ventilation shafts. One of the guys, out of nowhere, said, "Hey, you looking for work or is it tea time? Do you want a real job?"

I laughed it off of course, but it was still pretty annoying. Besides, who the heck still uses the term "tea time" in the U.S.?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#114 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Relocate funding from defense to education. And 12 months will still offer a superior education. Over the course of high school, students will have gained an additional year over what they have now.

topsemag55

Why defense? We only spend 6% of GDP on defense, whereas total gov't spending is 45% of GDP.

Let's take out of other social programs first, and maneuver those funds into education.

Better yet, let's lower foreign aid - for a change - and put money in education.

Better yet, why not cut some from both military spending and foreign aid, as well as both streamline and cut social welfare?

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Relocate funding from defense to education. And 12 months will still offer a superior education. Over the course of high school, students will have gained an additional year over what they have now.

chessmaster1989

Why defense? We only spend 6% of GDP on defense, whereas total gov't spending is 45% of GDP.

Let's take out of other social programs first, and maneuver those funds into education.

Better yet, let's lower foreign aid - for a change - and put money in education.

Better yet, why not cut some from both military spending and foreign aid, as well as both streamline and cut social welfare?

The military hires civilians, so if spending is cut enough, then some unemployment will occur. I remember when Congress mandated a huge cut...entire units were shut down. Military manpower stayed the same, but civilians were let go.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17892 Posts

[QUOTE="osan0"]what are the hours per day in the states? in ireland its 9am-5pm mon-thur and 9-4 on friday as i remember it (secondary school) and then theres homework after that (some teachers wouldnt give homework on friday but most would).mrbojangles25

it depends.

in my high school, its generally 8am to 3pm. However, you could opt for A-period PE or band, so it could be 7AM to 2PM. As a senior (fourth year) in high school, you only need to take like 5 classes, so coupled with my A-period class I was in school from 7am-1pm. Sports practice was generally another 2-4 hours on top of that each day except days of games (Friday)

In elementary and middle school it was 8am to 3pm

*scratches head*...ok so your roughly 1 hour down per day compared to the irish system in secondary school. also (unless ive misunderstud) you only had a 4 day week in school? basically we did a 39 hour week + homework (so thats another 5-8 hours per week roughly depending on the workload) there also seems to be a much bigger emphasis on sports compared to us and extra curricular activities. we had what we called P.E. (though we learnt squat..the teachers would just torture us) for 2 hours once a week. ever other hour outside of lunch was in the class room. personal development is not an objective of our education system.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#117 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

topsemag55

The military hires civilians, so if spending is cut enough, then some unemployment will occur. I remember when Congress mandated a huge cut...entire units were shut down. Military manpower stayed the same, but civilians were let go.

Your point being? If what we care about is unemployment, then we should be increasing spending on this like infrastructure projects.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="xaos"]I'm unsurprised that the states are opposed, considering that it would cost a lot more. I think that the government is only a relatively small part of the solution to US education woes. To me, the real problem is the attitude of disdain toward education that is so deeply embedded in our culture.xaos

I'm talking about more basic public school and high school education; while parents often pay lip service to how important it is, I've often seen those same parents express commiseration over taking any challenging or college prep-type classes. The whole rock 'n roll, school's out kind of vibe is what I'm thinking, school being regarded as an onerous burden rather than as an opportunity. I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself very well, though.

no that clarifies everything, and on that note I entirely agree.

Then you get the old timers going "Why sonny, back in my day, school was a privelage rabble rabble rabble..."

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

Your point being? If what we care about is unemployment, then we should be increasing spending on this like infrastructure projects.

My point being that the Air Force hires people from companies such as IBM and General Electric (I was in radar). The civilians I worked with don't build highways and bridges - they maintained radars, mainframe computers, and satellite surveillance.:P

flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#120 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts
I got out of high school just in time :)
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="osan0"]what are the hours per day in the states? in ireland its 9am-5pm mon-thur and 9-4 on friday as i remember it (secondary school) and then theres homework after that (some teachers wouldnt give homework on friday but most would).osan0

it depends.

in my high school, its generally 8am to 3pm. However, you could opt for A-period PE or band, so it could be 7AM to 2PM. As a senior (fourth year) in high school, you only need to take like 5 classes, so coupled with my A-period class I was in school from 7am-1pm. Sports practice was generally another 2-4 hours on top of that each day except days of games (Friday)

In elementary and middle school it was 8am to 3pm

*scratches head*...ok so your roughly 1 hour down per day compared to the irish system in secondary school. also (unless ive misunderstud) you only had a 4 day week in school? basically we did a 39 hour week + homework (so thats another 5-8 hours per week roughly depending on the workload) there also seems to be a much bigger emphasis on sports compared to us and extra curricular activities. we had what we called P.E. (though we learnt squat..the teachers would just torture us) for 2 hours once a week. ever other hour outside of lunch was in the class room. personal development is not an objective of our education system.

no we have school five days a week.

and yes, sports gets a lot more emphasis in the US I imagine. We still do PE, which is likely as much bullcrap here in the states as it is in Ireland :P .

Here, let me break it down for you:

My freshman year schedule was like this:

Get to school at 8
Go to ****by 8:05
Go to second ****by 9:05 (each ****was 55 minutes long, with a five-minute period in between)
We had a "brunch" break that was like 15-20 minutes long after second period
Go to third period
Go to fourth period
Go to fifth period
Lunch
Go to sixth period
Go to seventh period
Get out of school by like 3:15 or something
Go to football practice by 4:30

Then it changed up a little:
I joined "Sports" PE, which means that if you play a sport, you don't have to do PE. This was a "zero" period **** meaning it takes place by 7am to 8am.
Then I'd go to 1-6 period ****and get done by 2:10 or so

Junior and Senior year, my ****load was reduced to six units total, and I was still taking sports PE, so I was in school 7am-1:15pm when not playing a sport, and 8am-1:15pm when playing a sport.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#122 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

180 days is perfect. There's no need to increase it.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

He's right. While the system needs other serious overhauls, students will need to spend more time in school in order to increase the quality of education.

Dark_Knight6

I don't think quantity will automatically make quality better..

I'm pretty sure I never used the word "automatically".

Here we go with the oh i didn't use THAT word there argument..implication is dead apparently..regardless..i know you weren't stating it would instantaneously change...So, how about i put it like this...spending more time there does not equate to making education quality better..hence why i used automatically...as in..just because more time is spent there doesn't mean that the quality will be increased as a result..

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#124 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts
i support this idea. or make the days longer.
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts

No, we already spend enough time in school as it is. I would hate to have to be in school any longer. Luckily im a junior and only have 2 years left.

I bet all of you saying we should go year round are out of school and just want the kids to suffer. And honestly whats the big deal if we arent #1 in math and science? As long as someone out there in the world gets crap done it really doesnt matter where they live. Its not like only their country gets the benefits of advanced math and science.

And even if we did increase school, the taxes wouldnt matter. Its not like we dont already waste billions on unnecesary things

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Stanley09
Btw not everyone who goes to school wants to become Bill Gates or a brain surgeon so whats the point of making school longer? This would make things 10x worse for those of us who arent braniacs and are just trying to get by with decent grades
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#127 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
They should have more years of school.. Not longer years.. To be honest they should add like 2 years extra for some kind of a degree.. Because a high school diploma is pretty worthless outside of being able to get you a minimum wage job, or as a jump start into college.. The last two years should be able to take a mini degree in specialization of some sort.. Then maybe something more can do with just more of a high school diploma then go to another school..
TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 TBoogy
Member since 2007 • 4382 Posts
[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

No. We don't need to work our children to death. I think school is too hard as it is these days.

Some schools around here are year round. I dislike year round as it really screws the kids out of having a summer. Yeah they get vacation time but their friends likely will not have the same vacation time they do. So instead of a couple months of fun with friends, you get a month of nothing to do because only you're out of school.

You are young, aren't you. Not that that is a bad thing. I would have had the same exact opinion as you years ago. But now? I could care less about a kids "vacation". Adults usually get a couple of weeks a year. Students don't need any more than that. I say longer years AND days.
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Stanley09
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="topsemag55"]

It does need to be longer. Students, especially in the inner-cities, regress a horrible amount over the summer. Our long summer vacation is a relic of our once mostly agrarian society, but we aren't living in that society anymore. The majority of people in the U.S. now live in an urban environment. There is no justification whatsoever for keeping the U.S. school year as short as it currently is.-Sun_Tzu-

You make a good point; however, states are strapped for the cash to pay for fuel for school buses, teachers' salaries, etc. for even a week's extension of schooling.

Plus property taxes are already at prohibitive levels in a lot of states.

You are right that a lot of states and towns are strapped for cash and that local and state taxes are often too high as a result, but there's a very simple solution to that - increase federal funding. We can't reform the education system in the U.S. without doing that.

Or end the drug war and legalize all drugs...this would create about $78 billion/year
TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 TBoogy
i support this idea. or make the days longer.comp_atkins
As I just posted, why not both? :)
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Stanley09
[QUOTE="TBoogy"][QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

No. We don't need to work our children to death. I think school is too hard as it is these days.

Some schools around here are year round. I dislike year round as it really screws the kids out of having a summer. Yeah they get vacation time but their friends likely will not have the same vacation time they do. So instead of a couple months of fun with friends, you get a month of nothing to do because only you're out of school.

You are young, aren't you. Not that that is a bad thing. I would have had the same exact opinion as you years ago. But now? I could care less about a kids "vacation". Adults usually get a couple of weeks a year. Students don't need any more than that. I say longer years AND days.

The difference is your actually getting paid and this will make kids more sick of school and they would try less
Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

Yes, it should be longer. Longer year = more learning.Acemaster27

your not the one going to school

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]i support this idea. or make the days longer.TBoogy

I honestly don't think a longer school day helps.. In the end one of the most important things a student needs to learn is independent studies with out a teacher over your shoulder the entire time..

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Stanley09
[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]i support this idea. or make the days longer.TBoogy

because its cruel, pointless, and destructive?
The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

Please God, no. I already barely can't stand being there for 6 periods a day, I really wouldn't be able to stand no more than 7.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 TBoogy

[QUOTE="TBoogy"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"]i support this idea. or make the days longer.sSubZerOo

I honestly don't think a longer school day helps.. In the end one of the most important things a student needs to learn is independent studies with out a teacher over your shoulder the entire time..

At first I thought i had my first "disagreement" with you, as I did not like the idea of longer years when I read you say that I think. But I can see the benefit now. I also think slightly longer dys could be useful to students and parents both. I know a lady that has to leave work early every day to get her child. She is already PAYING for after school care, but then she has to leave early to get him by checkout time. Her take home pay would be much greater without these two expenses.
TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 TBoogy
[QUOTE="TBoogy"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"]i support this idea. or make the days longer.Stanley09

LOL. A little over dramatic maybe? No one is trying to be cruel to you. Sometimes when people try to help you, it just seems that way. There is also a point, even if you don't agree with it. And it's SURELY not destructive. Those who feel "tortured" every day in school as is probably need some need that needs to be addressed. School is not the problem, it's where the issue manifests itself.
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Stanley09
[QUOTE="TBoogy"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

As I just posted, why not both? :)TBoogy

At first I thought i had my first "disagreement" with you, as I did not like the idea of longer years when I read you say that I think. But I can see the benefit now. I also think slightly longer dys could be useful to students and parents both. I know a lady that has to leave work early every day to get her child. She is already PAYING for after school care, but then she has to leave early to get him by checkout time. Her take home pay would be much greater without these two expenses.

Parents availability to kids should not be considered in school time hours. The vast majority of students have the capability to get picked up/bus/walk/get ride from friend home

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="TBoogy"] As I just posted, why not both? :)TBoogy

I am discussing more along the lines of high school.. Then Elementry school.. Which seems to be the example of that.. I personally think they need to be more efficent and not longer lasting.. In just about everything I see the longer it is, the less efficent it is.. Take for instance American workers.. They have at best a week off a year on average, worker longer days, more hours a week then their European counterparts on average.. But studies have shown that European workers are far more efficient and less stressed.. Thats why often times I see in college this freshmen overwhelmed out of their minds after 4 years of college in which they have had the stuff shoveled to them instead of doing independent studies..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 deactivated-59d151f079814

Stanley09

Parents availability to kids should not be considered in school time hours. The vast majority of students have the capability to get picked up/bus/walk/get ride from friend home

.. I disagree.. The poor have numerous problems in this area, furthermore this excludes kids who are below high school that need to have some one watch them.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Stanley09
[QUOTE="Stanley09"][QUOTE="TBoogy"] As I just posted, why not both? :)TBoogy

LOL. A little over dramatic maybe? No one is trying to be cruel to you. Sometimes when people try to help you, it just seems that way. There is also a point, even if you don't agree with it. And it's SURELY not destructive. Those who feel "tortured" every day in school as is probably need some need that needs to be addressed. School is not the problem, it's where the issue manifests itself.

If I was in school for even an hour longer than i already am, I would really stop trying as much and pay less attention. How is more school helpful anyways? Not to mention at the end of the school day my face is greasy and gross as a frying pan. I can only imagine how bad I would look if I had to stay in that oven for another few hours
TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 TBoogy

Stanley09

I accept your point. I just thought it an interesting "bonus" point. But even without that consideration, another hour or two in school working on homework after classes with people nearby that can assist students could not be a bad thing. The only real difference is homework is done before leaving. Students would then have their evenings free after that.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Stanley09

[QUOTE="Stanley09"][QUOTE="TBoogy"] At first I thought i had my first "disagreement" with you, as I did not like the idea of longer years when I read you say that I think. But I can see the benefit now. I also think slightly longer dys could be useful to students and parents both. I know a lady that has to leave work early every day to get her child. She is already PAYING for after school care, but then she has to leave early to get him by checkout time. Her take home pay would be much greater without these two expenses.sSubZerOo

.. I disagree.. The poor have numerous problems in this area, furthermore this excludes kids who are below high school that need to have some one watch them.

I assume they dont have any after school programs/day care/ etc? what other "problems" do they have?
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#144 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts

I'm unsurprised that the states are opposed, considering that it would cost a lot more. I think that the government is only a relatively small part of the solution to US education woes. To me, the real problem is the attitude of disdain toward education that is so deeply embedded in our culture.xaos
i was in a roundtable discussion not too long ago with one of the high level executives where i work ( a large international corporation ) and this was one of the things he actually spoke about. in other countries it is considered an honor to be educated. in this country it is viewed by many as a burden and the approach taken it to get by with minimal effort.... what will we end up with when we have a generations of people doing the bare minimum and just "putting in their time"?

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

i think it is fine right now.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Stanley09

[QUOTE="Stanley09"][QUOTE="TBoogy"] At first I thought i had my first "disagreement" with you, as I did not like the idea of longer years when I read you say that I think. But I can see the benefit now. I also think slightly longer dys could be useful to students and parents both. I know a lady that has to leave work early every day to get her child. She is already PAYING for after school care, but then she has to leave early to get him by checkout time. Her take home pay would be much greater without these two expenses.TBoogy

I accept your point. I just thought it an interesting "bonus" point. But even without that consideration, another hour or two in school working on homework after classes with people nearby that can assist students could not be a bad thing. The only real difference is homework is done before leaving. Students would then have their evenings free after that.

True, if there was no homework after school I wouldnt be so against it, but I would still rather do homework in my own home than at school
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Yeah, more days.

I only see this as benefitting kids in the long-run. Kinda' transcends liberal and conservative ideology.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 TBoogy
[QUOTE="TBoogy"][QUOTE="Stanley09"] because its cruel, pointless, and destructive?Stanley09

If I was in school for even an hour longer than i already am, I would really stop trying as much and pay less attention. How is more school helpful anyways? Not to mention at the end of the school day my face is greasy and gross as a frying pan. I can only imagine how bad I would look if I had to stay in that oven for another few hours

I am guessing your school is hot? I had that problem. My school had no air conditioning. They do now though (spoiled kids!) :) So that is one problem then. Proper funding. Any school not in the far north needs air conditioning. Kids need to be comfortable to learn. Something also needs to be done about bullying.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

The quality of education needs to go up before the quantity does. If you add on another month, you're still going to be stuck with over burdened teachers with not enough resources, very limited creative freedom and bad textbooks.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Stanley09
[QUOTE="Stanley09"][QUOTE="TBoogy"] LOL. A little over dramatic maybe? No one is trying to be cruel to you. Sometimes when people try to help you, it just seems that way. There is also a point, even if you don't agree with it. And it's SURELY not destructive. Those who feel "tortured" every day in school as is probably need some need that needs to be addressed. School is not the problem, it's where the issue manifests itself.TBoogy

I am guessing your school is hot? I had that problem. My school had no air conditioning. They do now though (spoiled kids!) :) So that is one problem then. Proper funding. Any school not in the far north needs air conditioning. Kids need to be comfortable to learn. Something also needs to be done about bullying.

Well I actually do live in new england lol, I think money is wasted on heating and lights. I would much prefer to have all the lights off during the day. I hate it when teachers think if one light is off that everyone goes blind. You can easily adjust to the dark. I prefer cold because well, Im not really sure but Id rather be cold than warm. Bullying doesnt seem to be that much of a problem in highschool, but there is only so much authorities can do really.