Obama says school year should be longer - States disagree

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bruinfan617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 bruinfan617
Member since 2010 • 3767 Posts

Seems like students would have even less motivation if the days were longer.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 TBoogy
Member since 2007 • 4382 Posts
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Can he focus on one thing before moving on to the other. he already ruined healthcare, don't screw up education too especially while i'm at school.magicalclick
I know. Insurrance gone up again. :cry:

It's also better than it was. Years past, it would just go up every year with nothing to show for it. That said, my new job has the best insurance I have ever received from a job, and is cheaper than I have ever paid too (but I know that is just cause the job is not being cheap).
l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#204 l0ve
Member since 2005 • 3178 Posts

I say we let all the kids vote on it. After all, it's them being affected and it's a perfect exercise in democracy for the youth of America.

SgtKevali
The result would be extremely predictable. So that's a no no.
warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 warownslife
Member since 2010 • 5289 Posts

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

I say we let all the kids vote on it. After all, it's them being affected and it's a perfect exercise in democracy for the youth of America.

l0ve

Maybe just the seniors? Or honor roll?

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#206 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

So how much longer does Obama want to increase school hours by? I never got an answer.

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#207 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

That is a stupid idea. I think they should fire the crappy teachers and give the good teachers raises. That would actually do something. Many students who go to my high school only take classes with teachers that give them 100's and dont make them do ****. I literally would change my teachers around so I got the most out of my time in school. I'm not going to waste my time and play around in school like those other lazy kids. I motivate myself to live a future where I don't have to worry about money. And I have to deal with MASSIVE ADHD, with no pills. And I got a 4.1 in high school from just studying and doing all my homework from about 4 to 11 every weekday night. I wanted to be ready for college and to go where I wanted to.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#208 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

He doesn't really explain why he thinks it should be longer...

I don't think it will help...also, whoever said it was "almost a month"..way to exaggerate...i don't know any months that are ALMOST 17 days long...

Xx_Hopeless_xX

If you're going by working days, that's 3.4 schoolweeks. A month is about 4 weeks.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 UT_Wrestler
People have to realize that if they support this, they have to also be willing to pony up the extra tax money. Teachers and other school personnel are paid based on the number of days they work. Plus, that's 17 more days that you have to run the buses and run the lights and air conditioners in the buildings.
warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 warownslife

People have to realize that if they support this, they have to also be willing to pony up the extra tax money. Teachers and other school personnel are paid based on the number of days they work. Plus, that's 17 more days that you have to run the buses and run the lights and air conditioners in the buildings.UT_Wrestler
I agree. A lot of people like obama for example want change but don't say anything about them money. Does he even have a plan for getting the money he needs?

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 UT_Wrestler

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]People have to realize that if they support this, they have to also be willing to pony up the extra tax money. Teachers and other school personnel are paid based on the number of days they work. Plus, that's 17 more days that you have to run the buses and run the lights and air conditioners in the buildings.warownslife

I agree. A lot of people like obama for example want change but don't say anything about them money. Does he even have a plan for getting the money he needs?

Good question. I know that in here Texas, a lot of teachers are going to get laid off at the end of this school year due to budget shortfalls; so I'd like to see where the money for that is going to come from to plug that hole before we talk about adding more expenses.
warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 warownslife

[QUOTE="warownslife"]

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]People have to realize that if they support this, they have to also be willing to pony up the extra tax money. Teachers and other school personnel are paid based on the number of days they work. Plus, that's 17 more days that you have to run the buses and run the lights and air conditioners in the buildings.magicalclick

As result of existing budget cut, we can cut the class avalibilitywithout cutting the class hours. So, yes, it can be done, and we are already doing it.

I'm sorry but i read that wrong. I read that he wants to take away our amount of choices. I'm a bit slow today due to my amount of sleep.

berserker2389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 berserker2389
Member since 2010 • 4627 Posts
would this apply to college as well?
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 UT_Wrestler
would this apply to college as well?berserker2389
Probably not. College isn't mandatory. Plus it would interfere with summer sessions.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Because in my area(NY and NJ) teachers are given absolutely ridiculous benefits that they don't have to pay for. EVER. Ridiculous pensions and ridiculous healthcare and dental. It's a major drain on the state economy and is one of the major reasons why both states had to take chainsaws to their budgets.

The Teacher's union has a stranglehold on both of those states. They don't care about the students, only about themselves. We need to make it about the students.

airshocker

Do you know how much that works out to in total yearly compensation?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Well most of the western world has no summer vacation, spend less days per year in school, and have better test scores. Maybe the US should think of restructuring our school system in some way. Summer vacation for thing isn't needed anymore, at least not three months of it.
hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

IF students actually learned something it would be great but they should worry more about making the system better instead of making the year longer

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
US schools don't need longer school years. Our kids already spend longer in school than in most other countries as it is. What our schools need is better management. Anyone who's gone through the US school system can attest to how much waste there is. The vast majority of time is spent doing pointless assignments that have little to no educational value (eg: doing art projects in classes like history, doing word searches, crossword puzzles, games with, at best, a vague relation to the subject matter, etc). Even more time gets wasted watching videos that have no educational value whatsoever. Money gets wasted on expensive, unnecessary equipment like laptops for students or new computers for the school's computer lab that only gets used for web searches and word processing. If you look at countries with top ranked schools like Japan and compare them to the US's schools the main difference you see is in efficiency, not length of schooling (well, except for the fact that in many countries students attend school for an entire year less than American students yet come out better educated).
warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 warownslife

Well most of the western world has no summer vacation, spend less days per year in school, and have better test scores. Maybe the US should think of restructuring our school system in some way. Summer vacation for thing isn't needed anymore, at least not three months of it. HoolaHoopMan
ehh. SOME of it could be gone. A month at most. (complete 30 days.) If i was learning something useful and the teachers would stop sayng "your going to use this later in life" then it would be good. I'm learning ****. All the good stuff I'm learning i had to make sure i took myself.

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 metroidprime55

You know what I have always wondered, how much longer does Obama want to make the school day, just asking.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#222 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

l0ve

I know, but shouldn't we instill democratic values into our children?

warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 warownslife

You know what I have always wondered, how much longer does Obama want to make the school day, just asking.

metroidprime55

I think it was 15 days to a month. Or he doesn't know and is just saying " i want school to be longer"

warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 warownslife

[QUOTE="l0ve"][QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

SgtKevali

Also i think if senoirs that are about to graduate vote it would be good.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="l0ve"][QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

SgtKevali

This really shouldn't be the way to go about doing so.

hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

Also, at least in Mexico we have a lot of stupid classes and I'm guessing it's the same in the US, so why not remove stupid classes and replace them with interesting classes

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#227 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Also, at least in Mexico we have a lot of stupid classes and I'm guessing it's the same in the US, so why not remove stupid classes and replace them with interesting classes

hyrueprince11

Or make all classes interesting?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

hyrueprince11

What do you consider "stupid cIasses"?

warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 warownslife

[QUOTE="hyrueprince11"]

Teenaged

What do you consider "stupid cIasses"?

spanish. :P

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="l0ve"] The result would be extremely predictable. So that's a no no.coolbeans90

I'm mainly just joking :P

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 metroidprime55

[QUOTE="metroidprime55"]

warownslife

I think it was 15 days to a month. Or he doesn't know and is just saying " i want school to be longer"

15 days is OK, but one month is too much because that would make summer reading REALLY difficult.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

SgtKevali

I'm mainly just joking :P

I was hoping so :P

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

:shock:

I think I just had a coronary.

topsemag55

:lol: i think i just fell off my chair..

I had to wipe my eyes so I could see my monitor.:lol:

Guys... I think you're trying a bit too hard.

jaqulle999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 jaqulle999
Member since 2009 • 2897 Posts

Most of the stuff learned in school won't stick for very long.. to actually learn the day should be shorter and should take away one/two electives and language as a required class. this gives kids more time to focus on stuff that might be needed later in life.

rowzzr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#235 rowzzr
Member since 2005 • 2375 Posts
no. what people need is to find a way to make the lessons interesting, so the students will be more enthusiastic in learning them.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
"If you extend the school year for, say, five days, you're paying for another week of salaries, another week of utilities and another week of fuel for, in South Carolina, 5,700 school buses," said Jim Fostertopsemag55
I tend to think yes, but I'm not rock solid in my stance. As for that quote, you could easily go the other way and say we could save the money by shaving another week off the school year. It's a useless point in my opinion. If what we are doing isn't working, we need to do something different. I'd rather pay a little extra in taxes if it meant a significantly better result.
Sscnum21mvp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Sscnum21mvp
Member since 2009 • 111 Posts

I'm in high school now and I can easily see that half of the teachers are horrible and don't teach well at all. In a lot of my classes I don't learn anything that is important in a lot of classes. I also think that the school day should start later and end later. I sleep through a lot of classes and my teachers don't care. The sad thing is that even though I'm sleeping through AP and honors classes I'm still getting A's in those classes, that's how easy the schools are.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 UT_Wrestler

Most of the stuff learned in school won't stick for very long.. to actually learn the day should be shorter and should take away one/two electives and language as a required class. this gives kids more time to focus on stuff that might be needed later in life.

jaqulle999
Most Latin-American countries' schools do only the core curriculum. Anything extra-curricular such as sports, PE, music, etc is done on your own time outside the school setting.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

Getting rid of useless classes would be a better start. Why the hell do I have to have 2 elective classes that i have no interest in.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 UT_Wrestler
[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"][QUOTE="jaqulle999"]

magicalclick
Most Latin-American countries' schools do only the core curriculum. Anything extra-curricular such as sports, PE, music, etc is done on your own time outside the school setting.

In Taiwan, we have mandatory, PE, music, art, boyscott, wood works, and more. They are mandatory and have final exam.

Oh yeah I didn't agree with it, I was just stating a fact. I'd definitely support longer school years if it included more classes on making you a well-rounded individual. I think that class like auto-shop and home economics should be mandatory since they teach you valuable real-life skills.
cs45F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 cs45F
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts
good thing im done with this bs after this year.
Arsephixiation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Arsephixiation
Member since 2010 • 379 Posts

States disagree because they know their schools SUCK at teaching.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 UT_Wrestler

States disagree because they know their schools SUCK at teaching.

Arsephixiation
And how did you reach this conclusion?
Rckstrchik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#247 Rckstrchik
Member since 2010 • 1271 Posts

No, I think they need to develop better ways a of teaching. If it's a s^%#^ way of teaching in the first place, then 17 days isn't gonna do much of a difference. I doubt it would even it there was better teaching. I think 9/12 months for 12 years straight is enough time to learn what a child needs to learn. The schooling system just sucks, the teachers don't care about the children, they just care about passing them and getting a paycheck.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Oh obama as I said earlier in the thread.. move away from standardized testing and not only save money, which can be put back into the education sector but also encourage teachers to actually teach more freely and patiently instead of trying to teach everyone to pass the standardized test every semester or however often they are.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
No, they should simply refine the teaching methods. The problem isn't that kids aren't at school enough, it's that they aren't being taught effectively during that time.