Obama says school year should be longer - States disagree

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#251 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
We need smaller schools where students can get more attention and thus better learning. Schools of a few thousand plus students simply don't work for intimate and in depth learning.
berserker2389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 berserker2389
Member since 2010 • 4627 Posts
[QUOTE="berserker2389"]would this apply to college as well?UT_Wrestler
Probably not. College isn't mandatory. Plus it would interfere with summer sessions.

Alright then he can do as he pleases :P
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#253 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
The biggest obstacle will be the teachers unions who care more about their comfortable work hours then the student's education.
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

[QUOTE="magicalclick"][QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"] Most Latin-American countries' schools do only the core curriculum. Anything extra-curricular such as sports, PE, music, etc is done on your own time outside the school setting.UT_Wrestler
In Taiwan, we have mandatory, PE, music, art, boyscott, wood works, and more. They are mandatory and have final exam.

Oh yeah I didn't agree with it, I was just stating a fact. I'd definitely support longer school years if it included more classes on making you a well-rounded individual. I think that class like auto-shop and home economics should be mandatory since they teach you valuable real-life skills.

Personal finance and civics too.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#255 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58557 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

How in the name of all that is good and holy would that help? I could be wrong, but teaching (particularly at the public-school level) has never struck me as a particularly well-compensated profession.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the US and Canada follow very similar school schedules, yet Canada generally does quite well in international education rankings (particularly when it comes to math and science). Obviously it isn't an apples to apples comparison (different demographics and such), but lengthening the school year seems like it should be more of an absolute last-resort (as others have said, spending more time in a broken system isn't necessarily going to improve the result).

airshocker

Because in my area(NY and NJ) teachers are given absolutely ridiculous benefits that they don't have to pay for. EVER. Ridiculous pensions and ridiculous healthcare and dental. It's a major drain on the state economy and is one of the major reasons why both states had to take chainsaws to their budgets.

The Teacher's union has a stranglehold on both of those states. They don't care about the students, only about themselves. We need to make it about the students.

OK each state has their own problem, so I will not argue with you on that aspect (please disregard my above post).

But as for the latter comment on your part, it is incredibly important for teachers to have a firm grip on their jobs. The performance of the students is directly related to the performance of their teacher; I would hope that any teacher worth their salt, that enjoys giving knowledge and inspiration to young people daily, would fight tooth and nail all the way to the state capital to keep their job.

My mom has done such numerous times in her career; she is currently working at a middle school in a fairly rich area of Northern California, and even there teachers, counselers, and other faculty are losing jobs and given notices daily.

My mom gives me both stories; she tells me as often about the teacher bolting for their car five minutes before schools gets out, as often as she tells me of the science teacher working 12+ hour days to ensure her students learn the material and get their results promptly.

Personally, in terms of funding, I would much rather err on the side of the good teachers and give them what they need than play it "safe" and pull funding, etc, from all of them.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 mrbojangles25

The biggest obstacle will be the teachers unions who care more about their comfortable work hours then the student's education.Diablo-B

yea I dont know how I feel about this

Part of me thinks teachers should be paid hourly

Part of me thinks enough good teachers exist to warrant salary for all

Part of me thinks they should be forced to clock in, earn salary, but if their work goes under 40 hours a week they sacrifice benefits.

Idunno man...I'd like to think teaching is a noble profession, but as I said earlier I hear enough stories about lazy teachers in it for the benefits and the summer vacation.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#258 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Yes I agree. Kids (and adults for that matter) lose a lot of knowledge if they aren't being constantly stimulated. I would be perfectly okay with extending school the same way other countries have. You get a few months of school then 3 weeks of vacation. That would have been much more desirable to me when I was younger rather than have 3 straight months of nothing and being forced to relearn a lot of information.

I think this model works and I would like to see the US at least TRY something like this and see if it works. I truly think it would benefit our youth.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#259 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

We need smaller schools where students can get more attention and thus better learning. Schools of a few thousand plus students simply don't work for intimate and in depth learning. ferrari2001

How the heck would we pay for that and set up the infrastructure? Some places are thinking about merging highschools, not making them smaller.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#260 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts
Hell no, who's going to clean my house if my sisters are staying longer in school.
rolfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 rolfboy
Member since 2006 • 1137 Posts
No, keep the amount of school days (I do advocate allocating vacation time more evenly throughout the year though). I beleive that school needs to be less restrictive on kids. There will always be a need to maintain a safe and orderly enviroment, but make school more appealing to kids: -no need for the egregiously excessive zero tolerance protocal. Precaution about weapons and drugs is absolutely justified; getting anal about crap like friendly roughhousing is stupid. -time for classroom debate/discussion among students and teachers about various matters. I loved the time one of my history teachers gave us to discuss about current cultural events; shame it only lasted like five damn minutes each day. -promote regular activities of friendly classroom competition among students. Boys (who make up the majority of droupouts and delinquints) respond better to group activity in terms of participation. -Reach out to men to apply for elemantary teaching jobs. Females seem very incapable of understanding the difference between mere rough play among boys and outright violence (My mom was way too alarmed about me wrestling with the neighboorhood boys for starters).
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
I know that length of time is not the problem with the public education system in the United States of America. and I don't really think anyone knows what they're talking about if they think it is. quality is the most important thing, not length of time.
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#263 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
Hell no, anyone who says yes is a nerdo.
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#264 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
You know, now that I think of it, I don't even live in America. So I don't care.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#265 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Hell no, who's going to clean my house if my sisters are staying longer in school. Kruiz_Bathory

You have to clean it.:P:lol:

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#266 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

So glad, I'm done with that. Lets torture the kids, more.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
I think it is a terrible idea. Kids need time to be kids.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#268 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

No. We don't need to work our children to death. I think school is too hard as it is these days.

Some schools around here are year round. I dislike year round as it really screws the kids out of having a summer. Yeah they get vacation time but their friends likely will not have the same vacation time they do. So instead of a couple months of fun with friends, you get a month of nothing to do because only you're out of school.

Pixel-Pirate
school is not too hard. When I was growing up, the public school system here in Cali was a joke.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#269 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

school is not too hard. When I was growing up, the public school system here in Cali was a joke.Allicrombie

I agree, it wasn't hard. My system was strict - you either learned or failed, so I studied my tail off.:P

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#270 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Quality >>> Quantity

What American children need is better schooling... not more crappy schooling.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#271 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
The biggest obstacle will be the teachers unions who care more about their comfortable work hours then the student's education.Diablo-B
I don't know where you get this "comforatable work hours" idea from. I typically bring home hours of work with me and spend most of my sundays planning and grading. Anyhow, most teacher unions support a longer school year under the condition that we get paid for the extra work days; we only get paid for the days we work, so if they want to add 17 more school days, the pay should reflect that.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#272 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
[QUOTE="Rez89x"]Longer school days and years won't improve education. If anything. it'll make it worse. It's such a chore going to school for 40 hours a week and having to do homework everyday. Teaching methods aren't effective anymore. The way the American school system works is you get taught a lot of material within a certain time period for the test and then afterward, the material is irrelevant and never used again. We don't learn, we memorize until the test and then forget about it.

Don't forget sports. Also, what you said is true. Fortunately, I have good memory.
Avatar image for moonlightcharm6
moonlightcharm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#273 moonlightcharm6
Member since 2009 • 1581 Posts
oh heck nah school is already tooooo long :x
XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#274 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts
Why do we need to waste more time in School anyways? It's just people that acts like class clowns in classes. More and more crappy teachers that can't teach worth a crap, basically Core class teachers, other then my U.S. History teacher. The only thing I like are my friends, and maybe the people at my school. Otherwise, whats the point in crap like this when half the time, Im asleep.
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
no, of course not. We need better teachers and curriculum to teach the students better.. This is such an American stereotype thing to say, More = Better. when in reality its really Quality > Quantity.. 17 extra days of school isn't gonna change that.. A good student is such because they have a good family/support system at home, not because they didn't clock enough hours in school..
optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#276 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts

The American kids need more school. From what have heard, many are very uneducated, without knowledge of basic geography, history, mathematics and cooking skills.

America also needs to put more money into its schooling system, so the children learn more effectively.