Obama says school year should be longer - States disagree

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

NEW YORK — President Barack Obama's call for a longer school day and year for America's kids echoes a similar call he made a year ago to little effect, illustrating just how deeply entrenched the traditional school calendar is and how little power the federal government has to change it.

Education reformers have long called for U.S. kids to log more time in the classroom so they can catch up with their peers elsewhere in the world, but resistance from leisure-loving teenagers isn't the only reason there is no mass movement to keep schoolchildren in their seats.

"If you extend the school year for, say, five days, you're paying for another week of salaries, another week of utilities and another week of fuel for, in South Carolina, 5,700 school buses," said Jim Foster, a spokesman for the South Carolina Department of Education.

Obama told NBC's Matt Lauer on the "Today" show Monday that the U.S. school year is too short.

"The idea of a longer school year, I think, makes sense,"Obama said.

Story here

Countries with the best student achievement levels, including Japan, South Korea, Germany and New Zealand, average 197 days of instruction vs. 180 in the U.S. Thoughts?

rockerbikie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 rockerbikie
Member since 2010 • 10027 Posts
I agree we need more hours a week.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
Yes, it should be longer. Longer year = more learning.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

i don't think we need more time in schools, i think we need BETTER time in schools. You have to get kids into what they're needing to learn. If you can get people to see that the things they're being taught relate to them directly and indirectly in different ways then i think the students would have more desire to learn.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

I attended a year-round school in Hawaii and I have to say, it kind of kicked ass.

Although longer school hours aren't exactly what we need to do FIRST, what we need to do first is make schools BETTER so that students can actually learn something in any given stretch of time before we worry about how long those stretches are.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

No. I don't think 17 days would make much of a difference, if any at all. And kids don't need to be in school all day either.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

No. We don't need to work our children to death. I think school is too hard as it is these days.

Some schools around here are year round. I dislike year round as it really screws the kids out of having a summer. Yeah they get vacation time but their friends likely will not have the same vacation time they do. So instead of a couple months of fun with friends, you get a month of nothing to do because only you're out of school.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
I think we should abolish weekends, summer vacation, Christmas vacation and any other holidays! :x I say that as a student who just finished school this past June.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#10 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

No. Half the losers in my school already want to drop out. Why should we give them another reason?

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

I'm not a U.S Citizien but the U.S school year is shorter then the Canadian one by about 10-15 days and has a higher percentage of graduates per capita by about 10-15% Increasing the school year isn't going to make the students any smarter. Infact there was a study showing that the average U.S IQ trumps the Canadian one by 1 point and we go to school longer (190 day school year compared to the 175-180 day U.S school year). Kind of hard to believe seeing as how some Americans can't even point there own country on a map.

I speak against the education system in general by saying class times are to long and weekends are to short. Spending 7-8 hours a day (+ a hour or two of homework) at school for 5/7 days of the week is simply to long. What they need to do is make classes shorter and give a extra day to the weekend. I think you would find smarter students if the education systems stopped putting so much pressure and work on the students and started school at 12pm and went to around 5pm (with a 1 hour break around 3pm) instead of so early in the morning. There are many studies that indicate a vast majority of teenagers go to school sleep deprived and it effects there learning capacity quite a bit. There is other studies indicating high amounts of stress and anxiety on high school students to.

I'm not saying to make the work any easier but to make the day a hour shorter and to start the day a bit later. This would lower the money the government needs to spend on education and up the learning capacity of teens who go to school by quite a bit.

My opinion anyways feel free to go all "IN MY DAY WHEN I WAS A YOUNG KID WE HAD TO____________" World is a lot harder now then it was back thirty years ago....hell you need post secondary education now unless you want to live with your parents for the rest of your life or in a crappy runned down apartment.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

He doesn't really explain why he thinks it should be longer...

I don't think it will help...also, whoever said it was "almost a month"..way to exaggerate...i don't know any months that are ALMOST 17 days long...

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

He's right. While the system needs other serious overhauls, students will need to spend more time in school in order to increase the quality of education.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

He's right. While the system needs other serious overhauls, students will need to spend more time in school in order to increase the quality of education.

Dark_Knight6
I don't think quantity will automatically make quality better..
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
It's not the quantity of the education...it's the quality. And if it's not working now at 180 days...extending it won't do anything but increase cost. But he did prove me right when I said in the other thread all politicians want to to is throw money at it. As if that's a miracle cure.
p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 p2250
Member since 2003 • 1520 Posts

Longer year, more dropouts.

ihateaynrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ihateaynrand
Member since 2010 • 202 Posts
Would all of the people trotting out this meaningless 'quality, not quantity' platitude be happy for the school year to be halved?
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dark_Knight6

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

I don't think quantity will automatically make quality better..

I'm pretty sure I never used the word "automatically".

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic

Dark_Knight6
How is he right? It's not working now...so keep kids there longer? How does sitting more days at a desk increase the education? The days...yes. The actual education...no. Seems to me he doesn't know how to fix it so he latched on to more days.....
gatorteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gatorteen
Member since 2005 • 2760 Posts

I don't believe the school year needs to be longer, but I do believe it should be year round. As a person who has just got out of the public school system, I can tell you that you lose so much knowledge over the summer. With a 180 day year round system I believe that students will be less likely to forget what they learned.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dark_Knight6

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

LJS9502_basic

How is he right? It's not working now...so keep kids there longer? How does sitting more days at a desk increase the education? The days...yes. The actual education...no. Seems to me he doesn't know how to fix it so he latched on to more days.....

Did you read anything in my post beyond the first sentence?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic

I don't believe the school year needs to be longer, but I do believe it should be year round. As a person who has just got out of the public school system, I can tell you that you lose so much knowledge over the summer. With a 180 day year round system I believe that students will be less likely to forget what they learned.

gatorteen
Hmm...if they forget what they learned over the summer....how can we expect anyone to be educated since eventually they leave school behind. Does that mean they forget everything? And if they forgot over the summer....they didn't really learn it...they memorized it for tests. I had no problem with summer vacations. I did not forget what I learned the past school year.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Dark_Knight6

Yeah...but I still don't see the need for more days. The system would be better spent with tax deductions for private education. When you have government involved...it's always substandard.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dark_Knight6

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] How is he right? It's not working now...so keep kids there longer? How does sitting more days at a desk increase the education? The days...yes. The actual education...no. Seems to me he doesn't know how to fix it so he latched on to more days.....LJS9502_basic

Yeah...but I still don't see the need for more days. The system would be better spent with tax deductions for private education. When you have government involved...it's always substandard.

A full year with a strong system will be more beneficial than nine months with a strong system.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic

Dark_Knight6

A full year with a strong system will be more beneficial than nine months with a strong system.

And the tax burden incurred means the education will still lag behind due to lack of funding in many areas of the country. A 9 month quality education is achievable.
ihateaynrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ihateaynrand
When you have government involved...it's always substandard.LJS9502_basic
Do you have anything to back up that absurd generalisation?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]When you have government involved...it's always substandard.ihateaynrand

Education, medicare, social security, home loans, etc...
ihateaynrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ihateaynrand
[QUOTE="ihateaynrand"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]When you have government involved...it's always substandard.LJS9502_basic

So that's a no then. Funny that you mention the US' healthcare system as if it were an example in your favour, by the way.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dark_Knight6

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Yeah...but I still don't see the need for more days. The system would be better spent with tax deductions for private education. When you have government involved...it's always substandard.LJS9502_basic

And the tax burden incurred means the education will still lag behind due to lack of funding in many areas of the country. A 9 month quality education is achievable.

Relocate funding from defense to education. And 12 months will still offer a superior education. Over the course of high school, students will have gained an additional year over what they have now.

QuetzaIcoatl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 QuetzaIcoatl
Member since 2010 • 314 Posts

I think when you have to start limiting education on a massive scale (both in this example and in another sense with the massive cost of college) it is time to rethink how you are running your society...

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 topsemag55

Relocate funding from defense to education. And 12 months will still offer a superior education. Over the course of high school, students will have gained an additional year over what they have now.

Dark_Knight6

Why defense? We only spend 6% of GDP on defense, whereas total gov't spending is 45% of GDP.

Let's take out of other social programs first, and maneuver those funds into education.

Better yet, let's lower foreign aid - for a change - and put money in education.

gohan2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gohan2710
Member since 2005 • 4315 Posts
No, longer school year wont solve anything. The school curriculum in the US is a total mess. Well at least Florida is on the right track by getting new standards that actually make more sense.
ihateaynrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ihateaynrand

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

topsemag55

Why defense? We only spend 6% of GDP on defense, whereas total gov't spending is 45% of GDP.

Let's take out of other social programs first, and maneuver those funds into education.

Better yet, let's lower foreign aid - for a change - and put money in education.

Great idea! Why sap funds from the Ministry of Killing People when you can take from the poor and the downtrodden who really need it?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ihateaynrand"]Do you have anything to back up that absurd generalisation?ihateaynrand

So that's a no then. Funny that you mention the US' healthcare system as if it were an example in your favour, by the way.

I mentioned medicare....a government medical program for the retired.:| And none of the programs I mentioned are healthy.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
The school day dosn't have to be longer it just needs to be adapted. Personally i'ld keep the school day about the same length or perhaps shorten it but make it more like college earlier so you aren't having to pay a teacher to watch over people working which they can do by themselves. If you cut out all the pointless reading in class and practice questions you could easily shorten the day by an hour or two.
QuetzaIcoatl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 QuetzaIcoatl
Member since 2010 • 314 Posts
[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

ihateaynrand

Great idea! Why sap funds from the Ministry of Killing People when you can take from the poor and the downtrodden who really need it?

Do you guys really think we have to choose between money for the military, money for helping the lower classes, and money for education?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

Dark_Knight6

We don't spend that much on defense when compared to the rest of the budget...and I'm not for shortchanging the defense of this country. If you want another year of school....and most children start at 3 or 4 now.....then add a year. Though I don't think it's necessary. It is not the amount of days that is the problem. It's the broken system.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

topsemag55
Defense is easier to cut without creating problems. You could simply make a couple regiments redundent.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

markop2003
Defense is easier to cut without creating problems. You could simply make a couple regiments redundent.

Which increases unemployment.....
ihateaynrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ihateaynrand

[QUOTE="ihateaynrand"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Education, medicare, social security, home loans, etc...LJS9502_basic

I mentioned medicare....a government medical program for the retired.:| And none of the programs I mentioned are healthy.

As is to be expected when the US government tries to fund a welfare state with some of the lowest taxes in the industrial world.
ihateaynrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ihateaynrand
[QUOTE="markop2003"][QUOTE="topsemag55"]

LJS9502_basic

Which increases unemployment.....

Oh boy you don't say
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

markop2003

Cutting foreign aid is an even better idea...we need to funnel more tax dollars into our own nation instead of out.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="ihateaynrand"]So that's a no then. Funny that you mention the US' healthcare system as if it were an example in your favour, by the way.ihateaynrand

As is to be expected when the US government tries to fund a welfare state with some of the lowest taxes in the industrial world.

So now you have contradicted your prior post to me.:lol:
ihateaynrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ihateaynrand
[QUOTE="QuetzaIcoatl"] Do you guys really think we have to choose between money for the military, money for helping the lower classes, and money for education?

To a degree, yes. You have to strike a balance.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dark_Knight6

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]And the tax burden incurred means the education will still lag behind due to lack of funding in many areas of the country. A 9 month quality education is achievable. LJS9502_basic

We don't spend that much on defense when compared to the rest of the budget...and I'm not for shortchanging the defense of this country. If you want another year of school....and most children start at 3 or 4 now.....then add a year. Though I don't think it's necessary. It is not the amount of days that is the problem. It's the broken system.

The system needs a major overhaul. This has to be the third time I am clarifying this in this thread. Increasing the duration of school after that overhaul will only serve to benefit students.

ihateaynrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ihateaynrand
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] So now you have contradicted your prior post to me.:lol:

How?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic

Dark_Knight6

The system needs a major overhaul. This has to be the third time I am clarifying this in this thread. Increasing the duration of school after that overhaul will only serve to benefit students.

And? I'm clarifying that I don't agree with your opinion to cut defense....which was the point of your last post was it not?
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

I recall a lot of time being wasted while sitting in class in High School. I don't really think making school years longer would do anything.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic

I recall a lot of time being wasted while sitting in class in High School. I don't really think making school years longer would do anything.

ImaPirate0202
Increase cost and absenteeism.....
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dark_Knight6

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] We don't spend that much on defense when compared to the rest of the budget...and I'm not for shortchanging the defense of this country. If you want another year of school....and most children start at 3 or 4 now.....then add a year. Though I don't think it's necessary. It is not the amount of days that is the problem. It's the broken system.LJS9502_basic

And? I'm clarifying that I don't agree with your opinion to cut defense....which was the point of your last post was it not?

And? You keep repeating the same rhetoric over and over again, ignoring fundamental parts of my point.