New Nintendo 3DS Release Date Confirmed--Only XL Version Coming to US
Enlarged handheld available in two standard colours; Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter 4 versions revealed.
The New Nintendo 3DS XL will ship in North America and across Europe on February 13, Nintendo announced on Wednesday.
Nintendo's enhanced handheld is available at $200 in the US in either black or red, while two special editions have also been announced.
However, there appears to be no existing plan to release the regular-sized, non-XL systems in North America. These smaller models, which come with the same hardware spec, are unique insofar as they support custom faceplates. Back in October, these smaller versions shipped alongside the New Nintendo 3DS XL in Japan, but Nintendo has not mentioned any plan to launch them in the US.
Europe will be getting the regular sized models, along with 12 custom face plates also available at launch. In the UK, the regular model will be available in black or white, while the XL comes in black or blue.
Meanwhile, two special launch units have been revealed for both North America and Europe. A Majora's Mask edition, which you can see in the video above, comes with the 3D reboot of the N64 classic pre-installed.
However, in the US the game will not come pre-installed.. Along with this, Nintendo also announced a Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Edition that will come packaged with the game.
The New Nintendo 3DS comes with various hardware improvements over the original model, which first launched in March 2011. It features a small C-Stick next to its face buttons, which effectively works as a second analog stick.
Also added in are two new shoulder buttons--ZL and ZR--along with what Nintendo is calling "Super-Stable 3D," which will broaden the viewing field of the stereoscopic 3D.
Upgraded hardware will allow the system to run faster, while the in-built NFC technology will enable the use of Nintendo's amiibo figurines.
These systems will not come bundled with an AC adapter.
Nintendo Direct: All The News
- Re-watch the full Nintendo Direct video here
- New 3DS Release Date Confirmed -- Only XL version coming to the US
- Metroid Prime Trilogy Set for Wii U Re-release, along with Mario Galaxy 2 and more
- Take a Closer Look at This Gorgeous Majora's Mask 3DS XL
- New Fire Emblem for 3DS revealed
- Tekken Director Making Exclusive free-to-play Wii U Game
- New trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Trailer
- Next wave of Amiibo and the new Super Mario Amiibo series listed
- Majora's Mask on 3DS coming Feburary 13, has a gorgeous special edition
- Pokemon Shuffle is Nintendo's Next Free-to-Play 3DS Game
- Can't Find Marth Amiibo, Nintendo Say More are Coming
- How to Buy a New 3DS for $100
- Cross-Buy Begins for Select Wii U / 3DS Games
- Nintendo reveals Splatoon Release Date
- Majora's Mask 3DS video: Watch 20 Minutes of Gameplay
- Sin and Punishment Sequel Set for Wii U Re-Release
- Nintendo Explains Why Smaller New 3DS Isn't Coming to the US
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com