Metroid Prime Trilogy Poised for Wii U Re-Release
Digital edition coming Jan 29 following Mario Galaxy 2 and Punch-Out. Plus, enhanced compatibility for some Wii games.
Doom Eternal Gameplay Running On Google Stadia Google GDC Keynote Announces Stadia - GS News Update Top New Games Out On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week -- March 17-23 2019 Apex Legends Season 1 Battle Pass Arrives Today - GS News Update Apex Legends Octane 13 Kill Championship Gameplay James Gunn's Suicide Squad Movie Is A "Total Reboot," Not Called Suicide Squad 2 - GameSpot Universe News Update Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Official Teaser Trailer Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Boss Fight - Outsmarting Juzou The Drunkard In Combat Stranger Things - Season 3 Trailer Made In Abyss: Journey's Dawn Official English Trailer Hands On With Google Stadia: Doom 2016 Gameplay DOOM 2016 - Google Stadia Gameplay
Nintendo announced the digital re-release on Wednesday as part of a broader plan to offer downloadable versions of key Wii games on the Wii U. That begins now, with the release of Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the eShop, followed on January 22 with Punch-Out.
In Europe, the release schedule and line up is similar, only that instead of Punch-Out, players will be offered Donkey Kong Country Returns.
Each title will retail for $20 (£18), though will be reduced to $10 (£9) on the week of their release. More Wii re-releases are expected to follow.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is one of only seven games that GameSpot has awarded a 10/10 since it started reviewing games in 1996. Punch-Out was also received favourably, while GameSpot's Metroid Prime review said it was "not just one of the single most atmospheric games ever created, but it's also quite simply one of the best."
Meanwhile, Nintendo also announced on Wednesday that some Wii games will benefit from enhanced compatibility support on Wii U. Although all Wii games can be played on the Wii U, players need to enter into the system's emulator to play these. Nintendo is implementing a workaround whereby all that is required to play certain Wii games is that the disc is inserted.
In GameSpot's Year Two Wii U Review, its backward-compatibility function was cited as a major advantage.
The review wrote: "One should not underestimate the value presented here. There is no lost magic in games such as Wii Sports, or Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, or the Metroid Prime Trilogy (if you can still find it), or Zelda Twilight Princess. Nintendo has some of the most capable minds in the industry when it comes to creating content with long-term appeal. Furthermore, players can still access the Wii Shop channel and buy all its digital games, offering access to a vast library of retro content."
Nintendo Direct: All The News
- Re-watch the full Nintendo Direct video here
- New 3DS Release Date Confirmed -- Only XL version coming to the US
- Metroid Prime Trilogy Set for Wii U Re-release, along with Mario Galaxy 2 and more
- Take a Closer Look at This Gorgeous Majora's Mask 3DS XL
- New Fire Emblem for 3DS revealed
- Tekken Director Making Exclusive free-to-play Wii U Game
- New trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Trailer
- Next wave of Amiibo and the new Super Mario Amiibo series listed
- Majora's Mask on 3DS coming Feburary 13, has a gorgeous special edition
- Pokemon Shuffle is Nintendo's Next Free-to-Play 3DS Game
- Can't Find Marth Amiibo, Nintendo Say More are Coming
- How to Buy a New 3DS for $100
- Cross-Buy Begins for Select Wii U / 3DS Games
- Nintendo reveals Splatoon Release Date
- Majora's Mask 3DS video: Watch 20 Minutes of Gameplay
- Sin and Punishment Sequel Set for Wii U Re-Release
- Nintendo Explains Why Smaller New 3DS Isn't Coming to the US
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com