Is Piracy Stealing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#201 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

In no way shape or form, of the idea of theft, is piracy even remotly related to stealing. Piracy is stealing in the same sense that walking is stealing from car companies...

Thankfully I live in Canada where I don't have to hear about this debate often since piracy is legal.

dhyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 dhyce
Member since 2003 • 5609 Posts

If a man steals an item from somebody's home, then sells it, is that buyer a thief? Obviously not. The thieves are those who take the property and offer it for others to download.

tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts

Yes

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
Hypothetically Speaking: If I kill somebody by stealing his/her head you should call me a thief and not a murderer.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
No, it's not stealing or theft. That doesn't make it ok, though.
NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
Hypothetically Speaking: If I kill somebody by stealing his/her head you should call me a thief and not a murderer. NerubianWeaver
Anyone wants to address my Post.
Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#207 Crimtmp
Member since 2006 • 2432 Posts

Honestly I dont think so. I mean sure for some artists it could be worse than others but there is more ways for them to get revenue than album sales.

I want to add that I think its ridiculous how big a deal we make of piracy in the States, but then again we make a big deal about every little thing.

"Hey lets have some 13 yr girl pay 12 Million for 10 songs she illegally downloaded!"

Thanks Lars, you sparked the most moronic thing ever.

ex-mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 ex-mortis
Member since 2009 • 1599 Posts

It's not stealing, it's copyright infringement. Sharing that with your friends on the other hand is unauthorized distribution of said material, which is illegal. Many European countries think of it like this: You can not be potentially prosecuted for accepting unauthorized copies of something, but making more copies of that and giving them to all of your friends is illegal. Selling them to friends is even worse.

But the fact remains that the company has not lost a dime. You do not own the money gained from a sale until it is sold. If you stole a physical copy of the CD from a store, then you are robbing the companies of the jewel case costs, printing of the booklets, buying and burning of the discs and various other costs. That's money the company had to pay to get the CD released. Now that's theft. Someone buying the CD, ripping the data off it and then uploading it to the internet and millions of people downloading it has actually gained the company whatever money it cost to make the CD. Potential sales are gone, but the sales aren't technically theirs yet.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts

Its called piracy. So yeah. /thread

kidsmelly

Uh what? it's called piracy because it's piracy, if it was stealing it would be called stealing.

Stealing is taking something, piracy is making a copy of it.

There's a massive difference between me stealing your television and getting the blueprint and making an exact replica.

Though obviously piracy isn't right, I'm just saying it's not stealing.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Depends actual piracy can include stealing, though it is not the same as piracy can be just violence and must occur at sea. However the modern use of the word (technically it should be copy right infringement) is not stealing as the owner is still left with the original, nothing is actually taken.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

It's clearly not stealing but it's still wrong.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
Though piracy would be a lot more fun if it actually was stealing :lol: stealing mp3s from peoples computers would be fun
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 markop2003

Its called piracy. So yeah. /thread

kidsmelly
Theft - the act of stealing; the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods or property of another Piracy - practice of a pirate; robbery or illegal violence at sea Copyright infringement - the unauthorized or prohibited use of works covered by copyright law, in a way that violates one of the copyright owner's exclusive rights
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
Well you are taking someone's labor without compensation. If your boss didn't pay you for your labor....what would you consider that?
Heretix_Aevum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Heretix_Aevum
Member since 2005 • 4105 Posts

I don't think so.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#216 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts
You steal value from a company, so yes it is stealing.
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

Well you are taking someone's labor without compensation. If your boss didn't pay you for your labor....what would you consider that?LJS9502_basic
That's a contractual dispute, not theft or stealing at all.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
You steal value from a company, so yes it is stealing.horgen123
Or rather give value to the wrong company... Free stuff for the punters is often the only reason that broadband internet providers make so much money, and that, in turn, is the reason they have the funding to upgrade telecommunications infrastructure as fast as they are doing. It's the huge companies like Google, who turned a blind eye to copyright infringement in Youtube, effectively condoning piracy on a grand scale, who should be penalised.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 markop2003
You steal value from a company, so yes it is stealing.horgen123
You reduce the value of the company if you write a bad review of one of its products too, is that stealing as well then?
Well you are taking someone's labor without compensation. If your boss didn't pay you for your labor....what would you consider that?LJS9502_basic
That's breach of contract
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Well you are taking someone's labor without compensation. If your boss didn't pay you for your labor....what would you consider that?T_P_O

Ever hear of theft of service?
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

It's clearly not stealing but it's still wrong.

MushroomWig

I'm gonna go to best buy with my laptop, take a cd off the shelf, open it up, stick it in my laptops drive and rip it, put the cd back on the shelf and walk out. Was that stealing or not?

racer8dan

lets throw another example out there. Lets say I made a movie, and I was selling it on my website for $100, this movie is ONLY available on my website via pay and download, no dvd's no other place to get except for my website and my website only. Now someone wants my movie but $100 is way to much to pay so he finds away around paying via hack and downloads it for free. Is this an act of theft?

racer8dan

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 LJS9502_basic

That's breach of contractmarkop2003
Not necessarily....

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
The intentions behind the two are the exact same, so the only context in which I pay any attention to differences is the legal context.
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 T_P_O
[QUOTE="T_P_O"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Well you are taking someone's labor without compensation. If your boss didn't pay you for your labor....what would you consider that?LJS9502_basic

What you described previously was a breach of contract, not theft of service.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="T_P_O"] That's a contractual dispute, not theft or stealing at all.

T_P_O

No actually I asked if the users would like to not be paid for their labor. Thus far, I haven't seen anyone respond that they would work without compensation.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 LJS9502_basic

The intentions behind the two are the exact same, so the only context in which I pay any attention to differences is the legal context.Theokhoth
The difference in wording is actually insofar as the courts want to differentiate physical theft from non physical theft....in the US anyway. But that does not mean that it's moral, ethical, nor legal to pirate. And no....I'm not disagreeing with you ....just elaborating.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="T_P_O"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Ever hear of theft of service?LJS9502_basic

No actually I asked if the users would like to not be paid for their labor. Thus far, I haven't seen anyone respond that they would work without compensation.

I might, depending on what I'm working on. >.>
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 T_P_O

[QUOTE="T_P_O"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Ever hear of theft of service?LJS9502_basic

Yes, and you said "if your boss did not pay you", implying that it was a legally binding contract where both parties have agreed to an employment contract. If he did not pay you, it is a breach of a legally binding contract, which you can take to court. Otherwise, this really doesn't belong in this thread.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="T_P_O"] What you described previously was a breach of contract, not theft of service.T_P_O

Yes, and you said "if your boss did not pay you", implying that it was a legally binding contract where both parties have agreed to an employment contract. If he did not pay you, it is a breach of a legally binding contract, which you can take to court. Otherwise, this really doesn't belong in this thread.

It was a question.....that said....if you mowed one hundred yards in one day....and 15 didn't pay you...would you want compensation for what is legally yours? Yes or no?
Bitter_Altmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Bitter_Altmer
Member since 2010 • 356 Posts

It was a question.....that said....if you mowed one hundred yards in one day....LJS9502_basic

Dude, he's not a mexican.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

In no way shape or form, of the idea of theft, is piracy even remotly related to stealing. Piracy is stealing in the same sense that walking is stealing from car companies...

Thankfully I live in Canada where I don't have to hear about this debate often since piracy is legal.

htekemerald

:lol: .

Not laughing at you, but with you as you brought up a good debate.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]It was a question.....that said....if you mowed one hundred yards in one day....Bitter_Altmer

Yeah....kids around here mow lawns for money. I don't stereotype people based on ethnic background dude.:|
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

dercoo

:lol: .

Not laughing at you, but with you as you brought up a good debate.

How is that a good debate? Copyrights are protected by law. Car companies have no legal rights to modes of transportation. They only own the vehicles until they sell them to a dealer.

Bitter_Altmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Bitter_Altmer
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Bitter_Altmer"]

It was a question.....that said....if you mowed one hundred yards in one day....LJS9502_basic

Yeah....kids around here mow lawns for money. I don't stereotype people based on ethnic background dude.:|

Yeah. But I do.
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 T_P_O

It was a question.....that said....if you mowed one hundred yards in one day....and 15 didn't pay you...would you want compensation for what is legally yours? Yes or no?LJS9502_basic

Yeah, but I'd try to go through the civil courts for damages (breach of contract, implied, verbal, written, etc. They're employing me) firstly and not the criminal courts for theft of services.

I don't think theft of services would work with piracy either.

InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 InterpolWilco
Member since 2005 • 2487 Posts
Funny, I had this same conversation with a good friend friday night, and we reached the same conclusion (we're both composers). Its not technically stealing, but its pretty damn unethical.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
No its not stealing, its breaching copy write laws which is against the law... They both are illegal, but its not the same thing.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]It was a question.....that said....if you mowed one hundred yards in one day....and 15 didn't pay you...would you want compensation for what is legally yours? Yes or no?T_P_O

Yeah, but I'd try to go through the civil courts for damages (breach of contract, implied, verbal, written, etc. They're employing me) firstly and not the criminal courts for theft of services.

Okay. So you agree that someone not compensating your for what you are legally entitled to would be wrong. Copyrights are legal protections under the law as to remuneration. How do you use a double standard to justify piracy then? Both cases are only legal in nature.
Bitter_Altmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Bitter_Altmer

[QUOTE="T_P_O"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]It was a question.....that said....if you mowed one hundred yards in one day....and 15 didn't pay you...would you want compensation for what is legally yours? Yes or no?LJS9502_basic

Okay. So you agree that someone not compensating your for what you are legally entitled to would be wrong. Copyrights are legal protections under the law as to remuneration. How do you use a double standard to justify piracy then? Both cases are only legal in nature.

DON'T SAY YOU WOULDN'T, BECAUSE YOU REALLY WOULD

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 T_P_O

Okay. So you agree that someone not compensating your for what you are legally entitled to would be wrong. Copyrights are legal protections under the law as to remuneration. How do you use a double standard to justify piracy then? Both cases are only legal in nature.LJS9502_basic

I'm not justifying it at all, just saying that piracy (ie, copyright infringement) probably isn't going to be a theft/theft of service case. Where on earth have I tried to justify it? Because I think it's not legally stealing or theft?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Okay. So you agree that someone not compensating your for what you are legally entitled to would be wrong. Copyrights are legal protections under the law as to remuneration. How do you use a double standard to justify piracy then? Both cases are only legal in nature.T_P_O

I'm not justifying it at all, just saying that piracy (ie, copyright infringement) probably isn't going to be a theft/theft of service case. Where on earth have I tried to justify it? Because I think it's not legally stealing or theft?

Then why would you engage in an argument when I asked users that are pro piracy if they would like to not be compensated?
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 T_P_O

[QUOTE="T_P_O"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Okay. So you agree that someone not compensating your for what you are legally entitled to would be wrong. Copyrights are legal protections under the law as to remuneration. How do you use a double standard to justify piracy then? Both cases are only legal in nature.LJS9502_basic

Then why would you engage in an argument when I asked users that are pro piracy if they would like to not be compensated?

I did it because you firstly gave an example that would be a contractual dispute between employee-employer, then you said it could be theft of service. I'm just trying to clarify the law within those examples.

I didn't see the relation to piracy either with your first example. So I said what was on my mind.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="T_P_O"]

I'm not justifying it at all, just saying that piracy (ie, copyright infringement) probably isn't going to be a theft/theft of service case. Where on earth have I tried to justify it? Because I think it's not legally stealing or theft?T_P_O

I did it because you firstly gave an example that would be a contractual dispute between employee-employer, then you said it could be theft of service. I'm just trying to clarify the law within those examples.

I didn't see the relation to piracy either with your first example. So I said what was on my mind.

It wasn't an example. It was a question. When you break piracy down....you are avoiding paying the individual(s) the share of the roayalties they earned as you have their work now without compensation. As far as the terms go....the law differentiates copyright infringement from theft ONLY due to the difference between a physical verse non physical item...in the US. Other countries don't all necessrily differentiate. Thus I'd say arguing semantics is not the important part of the piracy issue. It IS illegal.

I don't recall the word piracy being in my initial post dude. So the assumption would have been on your part. I'm careful of the words I choose.;)

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#245 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Nah, you are copying just something that someone created. Of course, that is bad but we can't do anything about that with the pirates on the internet.
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts
Is Piracy Stealing? Can it be classified as Theft. DiscussNerubianWeaver
Piracy is stealing, yes. you are prohibiting royalties of said product to the individual who has rights to said royalties, therefore you are stealing. Now, the practice of copying something you have already paid for PURELY for back-up reasons (just in case the original gets scratched to hell :( ) is not Piracy, and you are not planning on profiting from it yourself, just making a back- up. So in essence, if you are copying something for personal gains, it is wrong. If you are copying something just for your individual use for a back up of a product you have already purchased, it is ok.
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 T_P_O

[QUOTE="T_P_O"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Then why would you engage in an argument when I asked users that are pro piracy if they would like to not be compensated?LJS9502_basic

It wasn't an example. It was a question. When you break piracy down....you are avoiding paying the individual(s) the share of the roayalties they earned as you have their work now without compensation. As far as the terms go....the law differentiates copyright infringement from theft ONLY due to the difference between a physical verse non physical item...in the US. Other countries don't all necessrily differentiate. Thus I'd say arguing semantics is not the important part of the piracy issue. It IS illegal.

I don't recall the word piracy being in my initial post dude. So the assumption would have been on your part. I'm careful of the words I choose.;)

Yeah, I never disputed the illegality of copyright infringement though, did I? I've only sought to clarify the law within your examples or if you want to call it a question, then I was seeking to clarify the law within your question.

And well, it's a thread about piracy, I'm obviously assuming your post is to do with piracy, otherwise it's off-topic and carries the possibility of derailing the thread (ie, now.)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="T_P_O"] I did it because you firstly gave an example that would be a contractual dispute between employee-employer, then you said it could be theft of service. I'm just trying to clarify the law within those examples.

T_P_O

Yeah, I never disputed the illegality of copyright infringement though, did I? I've only sought to clarify the law within your examples or if you want to call it a question, then I was seeking to clarify the law within your question.

And well, it's a thread about piracy, I'm obviously assuming your post is to do with piracy, otherwise it's off-topic and carries the possibility of derailing the thread (ie, now.)

But that does not mean my question was equating the example to piracy. It was simply to get people to think about their actions in a different light. One justification for piracy is the fact that it's not explicitly called theft. However, there is term called theft of intellectual property which has it's basis in something. Nonetheless, I was looking for the double standard of people that think it's okay to take the work of another while they'd be outraged if they weren't compensated for their own work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

To those saying it doesn't hurt the company's, lets say they found a magic way to stop piracy %100 and that the only way to get the media was to get it legitimately, would the company's sales drop, remain the same or go up? It has no choice but to go up, which means if there was no more piracy and someone figures out a way to bring piracy back, the company profits have no choice but to go down. Which means piracy IS costing the company's.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts

To those saying it doesn't hurt the company's, lets say they found a magic way to stop piracy %100 and that the only way to get the media was to get it legitimately, would the company's sales drop, remain the same or go up? It has no choice but to go up, which means if there was no more piracy and someone figures out a way to bring piracy back, the company profits have no choice but to go down. Which means piracy IS costing the company's.

racer8dan
Exactly, the companies wouldn't make a big deal about it if it wasn't negatively effecting their profits. If it were helping their profits they would be giving stuff away all the time.