Is Piracy Stealing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

DON'T SAY YOU WOULDN'T, BECAUSE YOU REALLY WOULD

Bitter_Altmer

lol :)

But seriously, like I said (on page 3) stealing is not the same as piracy. I also asked for some opinions on different situations - I will repost here.

A few quick questions -
Is it stealing to use a vcr, tivo, or dvd recorder to capture a digital version of anything freely-aired on a televiision? Is this piracy?
Is it stealing to transfer a personally owned object into a digital format? Is this piracy?
Is it stealing to listen to commercial radio or commercial-free radio broadcasts without paying money to do so? Is this piracy?
Is it stealing to go to a freely available internet website to watch a movie that is still in a theater? Is this piracy?
Is it stealing to play a video game in a web browser? Is this piracy?
Is it stealing to use a digital camera to take a picture or record a video (with audio) of an object or event? Is this piracy?

To be more specific:
Is it stealing to watch a tv show episode on a site like tv.com? Is that piracy?
Is it stealing to watch a music video on youtube or listen to internet radio (sites like last.fm or pandora) commercial-free? Is that piracy?
If I play an NES game on NESCafe in my web browser (with Java) and use my keyboard to control a character - is that stealing? Is that piracy?

It all comes down to specific definitions - one person may say something is stealing, another says it's not, some say stealing is piracy, others say it's not? At what point do you draw the line? At what point are stealing and piracy the same thing?

If you want to stop people from downloading something deemed to have a copyright you MUST stop the original source from distributing the item.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#252 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts

But seriously, like I said (on page 3) stealing is not the same as piracy. I also asked for some opinions on different situations - I will repost here.

A few quick questions -
Is it stealing to use a vcr, tivo, or dvd recorder to capture a digital version of anything freely-aired on a televiision? Is this piracy?

"Freely aired" no

Is it stealing to transfer a personally owned object into a digital format? Is this piracy?

No, you own it (assuming you legally purchased it)

Is it stealing to listen to commercial radio or commercial-free radio broadcasts without paying money to do so? Is this piracy?

Is that even a serious question? Is it illegal to listen to the radio?

Is it stealing to go to a freely available internet website to watch a movie that is still in a theater? Is this piracy?

That depends if it was put on that site by the copyright owner or not.

Is it stealing to play a video game in a web browser? Is this piracy?

What do you mean? Yes, I can play the Helicopter Game legally.

Is it stealing to use a digital camera to take a picture or record a video (with audio) of an object or event? Is this piracy?

To be more specific:
Is it stealing to watch a tv show episode on a site like tv.com? Is that piracy?

No, the copyright owners allow the content to be put there.

Is it stealing to watch a music video on youtube or listen to internet radio (sites like last.fm or pandora) commercial-free? Is that piracy?

Not it it is put there with the copyright owners' permission (which it often is)

If I play an NES game on NESCafe in my web browser (with Java) and use my keyboard to control a character - is that stealing? Is that piracy?

Not really familiar with that service.

It all comes down to specific definitions - one person may say something is stealing, another says it's not, some say stealing is piracy, others say it's not? At what point do you draw the line? At what point are stealing and piracy the same thing?

Yes, they are the same thing.

If you want to stop people from downloading something deemed to have a copyright you MUST stop the original source from distributing the item.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#253 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

I'm not going to read 5 pages of this thread so it might of already been mentioned, but I doubt it.

Legally piracy only applies to those that distribute. Receiving/obtaining/owning pirated goods is in no way illegal as long as you are not distributing them to others in anyway. In downloading a pirated item you are not stealing, and you cannot be prosecuted for possession of stolen goods.

Hope this clears things up. Distributing = stealing, Receiving = nothing

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#254 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
[QUOTE="Assassin1349"]

It's copying not stealing. Stealing would be going into a store and stealing a cd from the shelf. Copying would be downloading the MP3 files that someone ripped off of their cd. Still illegal and probably just as wrong but not the same practice.

bobaban
Pretty much. Your not taking something, just duplicating it.

technically you are taking something that is not free for free...
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#255 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Piracy isn't stealing.. Its closer to plagerism.. That being said they are both illegal.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

I dont think so. How can intellectual property exist?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 deactivated-59d151f079814

danwallacefan

.. If it didn't exist, then every acedemic field would be in shambles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

I'm not going to read 5 pages of this thread so it might of already been mentioned, but I doubt it.

Legally piracy only applies to those that distribute. Receiving/obtaining/owning pirated goods is in no way illegal as long as you are not distributing them to others in anyway. In downloading a pirated item you are not stealing, and you cannot be prosecuted for possession of stolen goods.

jrhawk42

I disagree. I want the new Assassins creed 2 that came out, but $60 is a bit more than I want to spend right now, I know! I'll just find some place to download it for free and completely bypass paying for it all together. I have their game and I still have my $60. The developers got nothing. I'm sorry but this is stealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

racer8dan

I disagree. I want the new Assassins creed 2 that came out, but $60 is a bit more than I want to spend right now, I know! I'll just find some place to download it for free and completely bypass paying for it all together. I have their game and I still have my $60. The developers got nothing. I'm sorry but this is stealing

This would be suggesting that you would even buy it int eh first place to begin with.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

sSubZerOo

.. If it didn't exist, then every acedemic field would be in shambles.

that's just an appeal to consequence.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

The argument against piracy seems, often, to revolve around 'potential sales" - a potential chance a company could make money.

Other than a transfer of digital content let's look at some real-world examples

- Every time an airplane takes off without selling a ticket for every single seat - Has the airline lost potential money? - Have they lost real money? It's the same situation for a motel/hotel with empty rooms.

- If I choose to pay $0.05 cents less for a gallon of gas at a station on one side of town as opposed to paying the extra and traveling the distance to go to another station - Has the other station lost potential money? - Have they lost real money?

- If I choose to shop at gamestop and buy a game (used or otherwise) for a cheaper price than wal-mart - Has wal-mart lost potential money? - Have they lost real money?

- If someone gets a pre-paid cell phone instead of paying the local phone company - Has the local phone company lost potential money? - Have they lost real money?

I think that anyone who could fly on that plane bought their ticket and is enjoying their flight.
I think some people are willing to pay more money for gas if it's more convenient to get to that particular station.
I think gamestop has the same right as a site like ebay, amazon, or half.com to re-sell copyrighted items. - Yet a lot of copyrighted material you buy, you are not supposed to re-sell.
I think any money my phone company loses on long distance I use my tracfone for is made up every month that I keep subscribing to their internet service.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

sSubZerOo

This would be suggesting that you would even buy it int eh first place to begin with.

That is beside the point, If they found a way to stop piracy entirely, would all of these gamers who acquire their games illegally, stop gaming because they can't get it for free? No, they would pay for the games they want.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 jrhawk42

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

racer8dan

Sorry but the law, and the definitions of the terms don't see it your way. The theft takes place in the distributing, not upon your actions. When you are dealing w/ non-physical goods the rules change. First there is no possession of said goods. Normally upon receiving a stolen good, you are required by law to return it, but since there is no physical good you can't return it because it's personal property, and copyright law doesn't fully extend to personal property (unless it's obvious that it's intended for distributed, IE 1,000 of the same copy of a cd).

So in your case, you did not steal, but the place where you "downloaded it" did steal. Does that make sense?

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]I disagree. I want the new Assassins creed 2 that came out, but $60 is a bit more than I want to spend right now, I know! I'll just find some place to download it for free and completely bypass paying for it all together. I have their game and I still have my $60. The developers got nothing. I'm sorry but this is stealing

racer8dan

That is beside the point, If they found a way to stop piracy entirely, would all of these gamers who acquire their games illegally, stop gaming because they can't get it for free? No, they would pay for the games they want.

In your own example you said $60 was more than you wanted to spend now.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

guynamedbilly

But I think the point he's trying to make is that if there was no alternative to buying it legally he would spend the money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

guynamedbilly

More than I wanted to spend RIGHT NOW, which is suggesting I want the game but don't have the funds to be splurging $60 on it so instead of waiting for a price drop or purchasing when I have the funds, I decided to just steal it.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
The short answer is "yes."
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178872 Posts

The argument against piracy seems, often, to revolve around 'potential sales" - a potential chance a company could make money.

Stinger78

None of that matters. Piracy is illegal. And that is that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

jrhawk42

Sorry but the law, and the definitions of the terms don't see it your way. The theft takes place in the distributing, not upon your actions. When you are dealing w/ non-physical goods the rules change. First there is no possession of said goods. Normally upon receiving a stolen good, you are required by law to return it, but since there is no physical good you can't return it because it's personal property, and copyright law doesn't fully extend to personal property (unless it's obvious that it's intended for distributed, IE 1,000 of the same copy of a cd).

So in your case, you did not steal, but the place where you "downloaded it" did steal. Does that make sense?

Quick definition....says.

.....Copyright infringement (or copyright violation) is the unauthorized or prohibited use of works covered by copyright law, in a way that violates one of the copyright owner's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce or perform the copyrighted work, or to make derivative works.

And yes...copying can be copyright infringement.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#270 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Other than a transfer of digital content let's look at some real-world examples

- Every time an airplane takes off without selling a ticket for every single seat - Has the airline lost potential money? - Have they lost real money? It's the same situation for a motel/hotel with empty rooms.

- If I choose to pay $0.05 cents less for a gallon of gas at a station on one side of town as opposed to paying the extra and traveling the distance to go to another station - Has the other station lost potential money? - Have they lost real money?

- If I choose to shop at gamestop and buy a game (used or otherwise) for a cheaper price than wal-mart - Has wal-mart lost potential money? - Have they lost real money?

- If someone gets a pre-paid cell phone instead of paying the local phone company - Has the local phone company lost potential money? - Have they lost real money?

I think that anyone who could fly on that plane bought their ticket and is enjoying their flight.
I think some people are willing to pay more money for gas if it's more convenient to get to that particular station.
I think gamestop has the same right as a site like ebay, amazon, or half.com to re-sell copyrighted items. - Yet a lot of copyrighted material you buy, you are not supposed to re-sell.
I think any money my phone company loses on long distance I use my tracfone for is made up every month that I keep subscribing to their internet service.

Stinger78

Ah, but in every one of these cases you are not using the firm's product, whereas in the case of piracy you are.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Just because the laws are there doesn't mean they should be. The games industry has been trying for a while to kill rentals because they aren't making money there. It is entirely possible that they will have enough lobbyist in the right places to get that pushed through in the future. That doesn't mean that it is a universally moral position. Piracy is not stealing, just as vandalism is not stealing. In both cases you are taking something of value away from another person but he terms just don't directly translate. If you completely agree with the IP protection laws, more power to you. A person should absolutely follow the laws, but work on changing them if they are not just.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]Just because the laws are there doesn't mean they should be. The games industry has been trying for a while to kill rentals because they aren't making money there. It is entirely possible that they will have enough lobbyist in the right places to get that pushed through in the future. That doesn't mean that it is a universally moral position. Piracy is not stealing, just as vandalism is not stealing. In both cases you are taking something of value away from another person but he terms just don't directly translate. If you completely agree with the IP protection laws, more power to you. A person should absolutely follow the laws, but work on changing them if they are not just.

There is a difference between purchasing a used product and taking a product for free that requires payment. Not even the same....so this argument is moot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]Just because the laws are there doesn't mean they should be. The games industry has been trying for a while to kill rentals because they aren't making money there. It is entirely possible that they will have enough lobbyist in the right places to get that pushed through in the future. That doesn't mean that it is a universally moral position. Piracy is not stealing, just as vandalism is not stealing. In both cases you are taking something of value away from another person but he terms just don't directly translate. If you completely agree with the IP protection laws, more power to you. A person should absolutely follow the laws, but work on changing them if they are not just.

There is a difference between purchasing a used product and taking a product for free that requires payment. Not even the same....so this argument is moot.

I didn't use one point to defend the other. I used it to illustrate how laws can be manipulated...
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]Just because the laws are there doesn't mean they should be. The games industry has been trying for a while to kill rentals because they aren't making money there. It is entirely possible that they will have enough lobbyist in the right places to get that pushed through in the future. That doesn't mean that it is a universally moral position. Piracy is not stealing, just as vandalism is not stealing. In both cases you are taking something of value away from another person but he terms just don't directly translate. If you completely agree with the IP protection laws, more power to you. A person should absolutely follow the laws, but work on changing them if they are not just.

I didn't use one point to defend the other. I used it to illustrate how laws can be manipulated...

The former is not a law though....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Just because the laws are there doesn't mean they should be. The games industry has been trying for a while to kill rentals because they aren't making money there. It is entirely possible that they will have enough lobbyist in the right places to get that pushed through in the future. That doesn't mean that it is a universally moral position. Piracy is not stealing, just as vandalism is not stealing. In both cases you are taking something of value away from another person but he terms just don't directly translate. If you completely agree with the IP protection laws, more power to you. A person should absolutely follow the laws, but work on changing them if they are not just.guynamedbilly
Eh taking, stealing what the difference.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]There is a difference between purchasing a used product and taking a product for free that requires payment. Not even the same....so this argument is moot.LJS9502_basic

Absolutely...I just didn't feel like typing out paragraphs illustrating the changes to IP laws in the past that brought previously open materials into the dominating arms of the previous copyright holders, such as in the Copyright Term Extenstion Act. I though it would be easier to reference something that I thought more people would be familiar with...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]Just because the laws are there doesn't mean they should be. The games industry has been trying for a while to kill rentals because they aren't making money there. It is entirely possible that they will have enough lobbyist in the right places to get that pushed through in the future. That doesn't mean that it is a universally moral position. Piracy is not stealing, just as vandalism is not stealing. In both cases you are taking something of value away from another person but he terms just don't directly translate. If you completely agree with the IP protection laws, more power to you. A person should absolutely follow the laws, but work on changing them if they are not just.racer8dan

Eh taking, stealing what the difference.

Clearly, you didn't read what I was referring to in that highlighted section.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"] I didn't use one point to defend the other. I used it to illustrate how laws can be manipulated...

Absolutely...I just didn't feel like typing out paragraphs illustrating the changes to IP laws in the past that brought previously open materials into the dominating arms of the previous copyright holders, such as in the Copyright Term Extenstion Act. I though it would be easier to reference something that I thought more people would be familiar with...

What they want as law does not necessarily mean will become law. Used products are big business now as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]The former is not a law though....LJS9502_basic

What they want as law does not necessarily mean will become law. Used products are big business now as well.

That is true. Gamestop and others can afford to fight back against any change like that. I agree with you completely that if it is a law, it should be followed, but copyright of IP is a fight that doesn't have any real opponents. There's no monetary gain to be had, that I have heard of, from someone taking the fight to the RIAA, MPAA, etc. That's why people just denounce the laws on forums and such. Hopefully, someday, lawmakers will take into consideration the rights of the buyer. They have to hear that argument somewhere.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 LJS9502_basic  Online

That is true. Gamestop and others can afford to fight back against any change like that. I agree with you completely that if it is a law, it should be followed, but copyright of IP is a fight that doesn't have any real opponents. There's no monetary gain to be had, that I have heard of, from someone taking the fight to the RIAA, MPAA, etc. That's why people just denounce the laws on forums and such. Hopefully, someday, lawmakers will take into consideration the rights of the buyer. They have to hear that argument somewhere.guynamedbilly
But one who pirates isn't a buyer and has no rights. You don't get to own something for nothing just because you want it.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 jrhawk42

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]I disagree. I want the new Assassins creed 2 that came out, but $60 is a bit more than I want to spend right now, I know! I'll just find some place to download it for free and completely bypass paying for it all together. I have their game and I still have my $60. The developers got nothing. I'm sorry but this is stealing

LJS9502_basic

Quick definition....says.

.....Copyright infringement (or copyright violation) is the unauthorized or prohibited use of works covered by copyright law, in a way that violates one of the copyright owner's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce or perform the copyrighted work, or to make derivative works.

And yes...copying can be copyright infringement.

the term of "copying" in copyright infringement is plural, and intendedas copying for distribution (ie 1,000s of copies of the same material). Copying (singular) for personal use has repeatedly been deemed legal. Another example is breaking copyright encryption. It's legal to break copyright encryption for yourself, but you can't help anybody else do it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]That is true. Gamestop and others can afford to fight back against any change like that. I agree with you completely that if it is a law, it should be followed, but copyright of IP is a fight that doesn't have any real opponents. There's no monetary gain to be had, that I have heard of, from someone taking the fight to the RIAA, MPAA, etc. That's why people just denounce the laws on forums and such. Hopefully, someday, lawmakers will take into consideration the rights of the buyer. They have to hear that argument somewhere.LJS9502_basic

But one who pirates isn't a buyer and has no rights. You don't get to own something for nothing just because you want it.

In the current law, if a person buys a cd and broadcasts it in their restaurant, they owe the copyright holder royalties. This is one example that doesn't seem just to me.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 LJS9502_basic  Online

the term of "copying" in copyright infringement is plural, and intendedas copying for distribution (ie 1,000s of copies of the same material). Copying (singular) for personal use has repeatedly been deemed legal. Another example is breaking copyright encryption. It's legal to break copyright encryption for yourself, but you can't help anybody else do it.

jrhawk42

No. That is not correct. Depending on the law it's as simple as copying a CD.

Quote....Duplication of a CD or other recorded media containing copyright material without permission of the copyright holder may be a form of copyright infringement, dependent on local laws.

Unquote.

JonnyEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 JonnyEagle
Member since 2009 • 1196 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]That is true. Gamestop and others can afford to fight back against any change like that. I agree with you completely that if it is a law, it should be followed, but copyright of IP is a fight that doesn't have any real opponents. There's no monetary gain to be had, that I have heard of, from someone taking the fight to the RIAA, MPAA, etc. That's why people just denounce the laws on forums and such. Hopefully, someday, lawmakers will take into consideration the rights of the buyer. They have to hear that argument somewhere.guynamedbilly

In the current law, if a person buys a cd and broadcasts it in their restaurant, they owe the copyright holder royalties. This is one example that doesn't seem just to me.

In that case, the restaurant pays a monthly fee through something like ASCAP, which gives royalties to the artists......
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

If you're taking something without someone's permission, then yes, that is stealing. Pirates try to justify their crime, but it's a crime and it's stealing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 LJS9502_basic  Online

In the current law, if a person buys a cd and broadcasts it in their restaurant, they owe the copyright holder royalties. This is one example that doesn't seem just to me.guynamedbilly
That depends on how many speakers they have. At a certain number of speakers....yes. But then look at it this way....they are using it to entertain the patrons and part of the cost of their meal is atmosphere as well. Thus, they are making money off the entertainment but not paying compensation.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#287 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Technically piracy isn't stealing because you just multiply something without taking away the original, so this whole 'you wouldn't steal a car' campaign is based on a logical fallacy.

Of course there are other ways of declaring it illegal, such as pointing out the damage to potential sales, which is quite obviously decreasing profits for major record companies and artists. While this may be true juridically, I'm actually having no trouble with the sales lost by major record companies who have poisoned music as an art with heavily commercialised drivel. From a moral point of view I think it's quite amusing that big labels are losing big bucks over this, and the same basically goes for all the fake artists out there. It is the unwanted result of a consumer society they helped create, and I can't help but laugh when they launch their pathetic pleas to moral behaviour.

I personally buy pretty much all of my music as I experience music better when I actually have a physical copy that has been designed with care, instead of simply downloading some MP3s onto my computer, which turns music into a disposable product. Some music needs a lot of time to get into, and odds of that happening when you can download another 1000 albums if you don't like the first song of the one you're listening to, are rather dim. I also like the idea that I'm financially supporting small record labels and artists so that they can keep producing worthwhile music.

So to sum it up, I really don't care.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"] In the current law, if a person buys a cd and broadcasts it in their restaurant, they owe the copyright holder royalties. This is one example that doesn't seem just to me.LJS9502_basic

That depends on how many speakers they have. At a certain number of speakers....yes. But then look at it this way....they are using it to entertain the patrons and part of the cost of their meal is atmosphere as well. Thus, they are making money off the entertainment but not paying compensation.

I can see that argument, but I can also see that they did pay compensation of $16 give or take to buy the original CD. This is a situation in which people can understandably find a defense for either side. I just happen to fall on the side of the person who bought the CD because I can see that this kind of law creates momentum for more similar laws in the future. That is the only point I am trying to make here.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Most things being pirated are video games, movies, and music. None of these items are neccessary for life. Yet, people somehow feel entitled to them. You can say that whatever company charges too much, but why is having this product neccessary? If you don't want to pay for it, then don't get it.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 jrhawk42

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

LJS9502_basic

Quote....Duplication of a CD or other recorded media containing copyright material without permission of the copyright holder may be a form of copyright infringement, dependent on local laws.

Unquote.

I don't know where you got this quote, but it's obviously not any legally standing document. Also copyright infringement is not under the jurisdiction of local laws.

quote....what you posted was misinterpreted, made up, or taken out of context. unquote

Combii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 Combii
Member since 2009 • 755 Posts

I think piracy is called piracy because it stand for pirate, duh? :P

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

If a man steals an item from somebody's home, then sells it, is that buyer a thief? Obviously not. The thieves are those who take the property and offer it for others to download.

dhyce

That person would not be charged with theft, but he could very well be charged with possession of stolen property. When a person KNOWINGLY obtains stolen property - even if nothing is paid for it - that person can be charged.

Personally, I don't think it matters whether or not piracy is technically stealing. What matters is the morality of the act. And since MrGeezer and LJS are doing a fine job of defending my position, I'll let them handle it this time around.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#294 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I didn't see this brought up yet, but a UK poll found that people who file-share also spend the most legitimately purchasing music. Interesting finding.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

In no way shape or form, of the idea of theft, is piracy even remotly related to stealing. Piracy is stealing in the same sense that walking is stealing from car companies...

Thankfully I live in Canada where I don't have to hear about this debate often since piracy is legal.

LJS9502_basic

:lol: .

Not laughing at you, but with you as you brought up a good debate.

How is that a good debate? Copyrights are protected by law. Car companies have no legal rights to modes of transportation. They only own the vehicles until they sell them to a dealer.

You and the anti piracy people are saying that piracy is theft because it takes profit away from them (assuing anyone who pirates would buy the material)

I'm saying walking is theft by that logics because it takes profit away from the car companies (assuming everyone who walks would have bought a car if they couldn't walk)

And if tomorrow some government came out with a law that said it is illegal to walk, you must drive a car I am pretty sure you would say "thats a stupid law" not "walking is theft"

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

If you're taking something without someone's permission, then yes, that is stealing. Pirates try to justify their crime, but it's a crime and it's stealing.

sonicare

You mean copying something...

JonnyEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 JonnyEagle
Member since 2009 • 1196 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

:lol: .

Not laughing at you, but with you as you brought up a good debate.

htekemerald

How is that a good debate? Copyrights are protected by law. Car companies have no legal rights to modes of transportation. They only own the vehicles until they sell them to a dealer.

You and the anti piracy people are saying that piracy is theft because it takes profit away from them (assuing anyone who pirates would buy the material)

I'm saying walking is theft by that logics because it takes profit away from the car companies (assuming everyone who walks would have bought a car if they couldn't walk)

And if tomorrow some government came out with a law that said it is illegal to walk, you must drive a car I am pretty sure you would say "thats a stupid law" not "walking is theft"

You see, I don't get that comparison, you can't really compare walking to driving a car because not only is walking unlike driving a car, it's a lot less efficient, where as illegally downloading music, games, or movies, you get a product that you're supposed to pay for, but for free....

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

jrhawk42

Unquote.

I don't know where you got this quote, but it's obviously not any legally standing document. Also copyright infringement is not under the jurisdiction of local laws.

quote....what you posted was misinterpreted, made up, or taken out of context. unquote

Actually dude....local laws mean country laws....which differ.;)
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#299 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

The title thread is literally asking: "Wanna play semantics? :D"

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts

The title thread is literally asking: "Wanna play semantics? :D"

Teenaged

Well, I wouldn't say it is literally asking that.