Is Piracy Stealing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#151 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
[QUOTE="Assassin1349"] No they didn't!!!!!!! Gawd.

So now it's becoming a shouting match? Ugh.. this is why threads like these just don't work. I've lost too much of my free time debating this to go around in circles.
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts
[QUOTE="Assassin1349"][QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"][QUOTE="Assassin1349"] Haha, not always. Assassins Creed 2 for example. The DRM on the retail version is absurd.

The console versions were amazing. If it wasn't priced at 60 dollars then they wouldn't have a huge piracy problem. 60 is too much for a PC game.

It isn't really the 60 dollar price tag that ruined it. No one wants to buy it strictly because of the DRM which requires you to have an active internet connection at all times so you can stay logged on to the ubi servers. Also the saves are stored on their servers and they have been having trouble keeping the servers up.

Actually I'm pretty sure you have to be connected is so you can't pirate it. AC1 was the most pirated game of all time because it was too expensive and that's exactly the same problem here.

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
[QUOTE="McJugga"]

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]:| That doesnt make any sense. MoonMarvel

Really? Let's put two of your quotes together and see what happens.

You: "Stealing is when you obtain something via illegal means."

You: "If I obtain a perscription dug via illegal means your saying I stole it?"

Hm...

Way to pass the buck and try to avoid explaining your comment. Which I already did with mine. *Sigh* Whatever, I am finished with this thread.

Eh...? I explained my comment with those quotes... You said that stealing was obtaining something via illegal means. You later told someone that obtaining prescription drugs via illegal means doesn't necessarily mean that you stole anything. How much more clear could the contradiction be?
Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 Assassin1349
Member since 2009 • 2798 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="Assassin1349"] No they didn't!!!!!!! Gawd.

So now it's becoming a shouting match? Ugh.. this is why threads like these just don't work. I've lost too much of my free time debating this to go around in circles.

Well that's because stealing is a physical concept. Always has been. You know like, you got an apple and I decided to steal it and eat it. That's stealing! I mean there's a reason grand/petty theft isn't branded as piracy.
Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Assassin1349
[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"][QUOTE="Assassin1349"][QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

The console versions were amazing. If it wasn't priced at 60 dollars then they wouldn't have a huge piracy problem. 60 is too much for a PC game.

It isn't really the 60 dollar price tag that ruined it. No one wants to buy it strictly because of the DRM which requires you to have an active internet connection at all times so you can stay logged on to the ubi servers. Also the saves are stored on their servers and they have been having trouble keeping the servers up.

Actually I'm pretty sure you have to be connected is so you can't pirate it. AC1 was the most pirated game of all time because it was too expensive and that's exactly the same problem here.

Heh, about that..
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="McJugga"]

Really? Let's put two of your quotes together and see what happens.

You: "Stealing is when you obtain something via illegal means."

You: "If I obtain a perscription dug via illegal means your saying I stole it?"

Hm...

McJugga

Way to pass the buck and try to avoid explaining your comment. Which I already did with mine. *Sigh* Whatever, I am finished with this thread.

Eh...? I explained my comment with those quotes... You said that stealing was obtaining something via illegal means. You later told someone that obtaining prescription drugs via illegal means doesn't necessarily mean that you stole anything. How much more clear could the contradiction be?

I was using a silly statment to come to a silly conclusion. I already clarified my other comment which you ignored and went on to troll me on a misquote. Last post in here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

I'm gonna go to best buy with my laptop, take a cd off the shelf, open it up, stick it in my laptops drive and rip it, put the cd back on the shelf and walk out. Was that stealing or not?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

It's not technically stealing, since nothing is actually physically taken.

However, it is morally equivalent to stealing since it is done for the exact same motives as physical theft of property: the person who does it wants to get something for nothing, while avoiding paying compensation to the "owner".

The effect on the victim might not be the same as with actual theft. However, morally speaking, it's exactly the same.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

However, it is morally equivalent to stealing since it is done for the exact same motives as physical theft of property: the person who does it wants to get something for nothing, while avoiding paying compensation to the "owner".

The effect on the victim might not be the same as with actual theft. However, morally speaking, it's exactly the same.

MrGeezer

Like I said before, the ONLY difference is, I'm not getting the 40 cent cd with my freely acquired media. The media is MORE valuable to the company than the physical cd.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

racer8dan

Like I said before, the ONLY difference is, I'm not getting the 40 cent cd with my freely acquired media. The media is MORE valuable to the company than the physical cd.

It's funny how you describe the value of the CD as being 40 cents, when it has the media on it.

Yes, the media is more valuable to the company than the actual disc. This is why you can buy blank discs for around 50 cents, while a disc with the media on it costs about $10. The media is more valuable to MOST PEOPLE than the actual disc. That's why people illegally obtain the media while ignoring the disc entirely. The media really IS more valuable than the actual disc.

The problem is, when people illegally obtain media and then don't pay for it, they aren't paying for the media either.

EDIT: Yes, you're entirely right that in spirit, it's just the same as stealing. The actual loss of a CD costs very little to anyone. The REAL loss is in the illegal acquisition of the media on the disc.

waffle57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 waffle57
Member since 2008 • 1307 Posts
In terms of the law, piracy ISN'T stealing. It's copyright infringement. And I'm inclined to just go with the law's definition of piracy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

lets throw another example out there. Lets say I made a movie, and I was selling it on my website for $100, this movie is ONLY available on my website via pay and download, no dvd's no other place to get except for my website and my website only. Now someone wants my movie but $100 is way to much to pay so he finds away around paying via hack and downloads it for free. Is this an act of theft?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#166 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Technically no. Stealing requires the taking of an object away from its owner. In the case of piracy nothing is actually taken away from the creator of said content, they still possess the content that they created. Darth-Caedus

Well it is copyright infringement. And in some sense it could be considered stealing, because you are essentially stealing the expected profits they would have gotten from your buying whatever you pirated.

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts

lets throw another example out there. Lets say I made a movie, and I was selling it on my website for $100, this movie is ONLY available on my website via pay and download, no dvd's no other place to get except for my website and my website only. Now someone wants my movie but $100 is way to much to pay so he finds away around paying via hack and downloads it for free. Is this an act of theft?

racer8dan
You just basically described what piracy is :|
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 McJugga

racer8dan
Why the hell are you selling a movie for $100? :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

It's funny how you describe the value of the CD as being 40 cents, when it has the media on it.

Yes, the media is more valuable to the company than the actual disc. This is why you can buy blank discs for around 50 cents, while a disc with the media on it costs about $10. The media is more valuable to MOST PEOPLE than the actual disc. That's why people illegally obtain the media while ignoring the disc entirely. The media really IS more valuable than the actual disc.

The problem is, when people illegally obtain media and then don't pay for it, they aren't paying for the media either.

EDIT: Yes, you're entirely right that in spirit, it's just the same as stealing. The actual loss of a CD costs very little to anyone. The REAL loss is in the illegal acquisition of the media on the disc.

Ok, we both agree it IS stealing. When you separate the cd from the media its only worth 40 cents. If I already have the media, the media filled disc loses its value.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

Juggernaut140

EXACTLY, theft:|

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 McJugga

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]

racer8dan

EXACTLEY, theft:|

I also thought it would be important for you to know that I am going to add this :|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

McJugga

Why the hell are you selling a movie for $100? :P

I'm that good8)

xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

I think a better question to ask would be whether copyright infringement is stealing.

compost-mentis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 compost-mentis
Member since 2009 • 631 Posts

Sharing is caring. The printing press was considered the work of the Devil when it first appeared. Silent movies were ostracized when they first appeared on the grounds that they would ruin public performances. Xerox was condemned for screwing narrow-minded selfish information Nazis out of money. VHS video was attacked for the same reason. Humanity does not need to change, models of Capitalism need to change. Feel free to keep acknowledging intellectual property, just don't shun the dissemination of its content. Information should not be distributed in discrete packages only to those that can afford to pay for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"] You just basically described what piracy is :|McJugga

EXACTLEY, theft:|

I also thought it would be important for you to know that I am going to add this :|

I tried to simplify it for you, eliminating dvd's eliminates the phisical media. Now this man is sitting on his cheap ass, watching the movie that I paid to produce, HE stole from me, its as simple as that.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 MrGeezer

Sharing is caring. The printing press was considered the work of the Devil when it first appeared. Silent movies were ostracized when they first appeared on the grounds that they would ruin public performances. Xerox was condemned for screwing narrow-minded selfish information Nazis out of money. VHS video was attacked for the same reason. Humanity does not need to change, models of Capitalism need to change. Feel free to keep acknowledging intellectual property, just don't shun the dissemination of its content. Information should not be distributed in discrete packages to those that can afford to pay for it.

compost-mentis

If you want to share content that YOU made, then go right ahead.

And yes, information SHOULD be distributed in discrete packages to those that can afford to pay for it, since it costs money and time to make that "information". If someone else is investing resources into making it in the first place, then they should be compensated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Your're all just trying to justify your actions, because it makes you feel better about taking what isn't yours. I'm not judging you, I have pirated a couple music tracks as well in my younger days, But the facts of the matter remain. If you can't use a little logic and some good old fashioned common sense, then you are in denial or uneducated, in which I hope youv'e gotton your education from this thread.

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 McJugga

Your're all just trying to justify your actions, because it makes you feel better about taking what isn't yours. I'm not judging you, I have pirated a couple music tracks as well in my younger days, But the facts of the matter remain. If you can't use a little logic and some good old fashioned common sense, then you are in denial or uneducated, in which I hope youv'e gotton your education from this thread.

racer8dan
Well now I just feel terrible. :(
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
no it isnt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

McJugga

Well now I just feel terrible. :(

Hah, I bet!:lol:

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#181 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
One of the greatest questions of our time for someone who like philosophy. How do you count something as stealing, if nothing physical have been lost? If someone were to take a picture of a car, is that stealing?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 MrGeezer

racer8dan

Bottom line is that in a capitalistic society, pure greed is going to run rampant. At least here in the USA, we live in a society that's largely built on maximizing personal gain at the expense of everyone else. That attitude is absolutely going to seep into a huge segment of the general population.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 MrGeezer

If someone were to take a picture of a car, is that stealing?Jd1680a

It certainly might be, if "a picture of a car" performed the same function as "an actual car".

compost-mentis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 compost-mentis

[QUOTE="compost-mentis"]

Sharing is caring. The printing press was considered the work of the Devil when it first appeared. Silent movies were ostracized when they first appeared on the grounds that they would ruin public performances. Xerox was condemned for screwing narrow-minded selfish information Nazis out of money. VHS video was attacked for the same reason. Humanity does not need to change, models of Capitalism need to change. Feel free to keep acknowledging intellectual property, just don't shun the dissemination of its content. Information should not be distributed in discrete packages to those that can afford to pay for it.

MrGeezer

If you want to share content that YOU made, then go right ahead.

And yes, information SHOULD be distributed in discrete packages to those that can afford to pay for it, since it costs money and time to make that "information". If someone else is investing resources into making it in the first place, then they should be compensated.

As far as I am concerned, all art and other information is public domain. Make your money through sale of physical media or live performance. I am a Post-Marxist Anti-Capitalist anyway, so no point arguing with me...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

One of the greatest questions of our time for someone who like philosophy. How do you count something as stealing, if nothing physical have been lost? If someone were to take a picture of a car, is that stealing?Jd1680a
Physical money has been lost by the company due to pircay.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 MrGeezer

As far as I am concerned, all art and other information is public domain. Make your money through sale of physical media or live performance. I am a Post-Marxist Anti-Capitalist anyway, so no point arguing with me...

compost-mentis

So I take it that you work for free?

And if you don't work for free, why would you expect an artist to work for free?

compost-mentis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 compost-mentis

[QUOTE="compost-mentis"]

MrGeezer

And if you don't work for free, why would you expect an artist to work for free?

If one creates with money in mind, one is not an artist, one is a business person, and you can guarantee it will be reflected in the poor quality of their art.

Take Salvador Dali for instance- his work was great right up until the 50's when he thought he could make a fortune doing crap illustrations and paintings for serious cash- the value of his work bottomed out at that point on the antique/art scene.

Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Assassin1349

racer8dan
I hope you realize that I don't pirate. My argument was that it's not the same as stealing. That is all..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

Assassin1349

I hope you realize that I don't pirate. My argument was that it's not the same as stealing. That is all..

I never said you pirated, whats your point?I know what you're arguing. My argument is that your wrong and that it IS stealing.

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 McJugga
[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

Assassin1349

Yeah... Uh... Same here. ^_^
Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Assassin1349

[QUOTE="Assassin1349"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]

racer8dan

I never said you pirated, whats your point?I know what you're arguing. My argument is that your wrong and that it IS stealing.

Sir, that assertion is absolutely false. Technicality is what counts here.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="compost-mentis"]

compost-mentis

If one creates with money in mind, one is not an artist, one is a business person, and you can guarantee it will be reflected in the poor quality of their art.

Well then...people making this intellectual property obviously suck.

So...no use illegally downloading an album or a movie. Since the quality is poor, you've obviously got no reason to want it.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say "this is art, I should be able to experience it without paying for it", and then turn around and say "that artist doesn't like working for free?! That makes his art garbage!"

If his art is garbage, then you don't need to watch/play/listen to it. In which case, you've just destroyed your own argument for piracy.

compost-mentis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 compost-mentis

[QUOTE="compost-mentis"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

Well then...people making this intellectual property obviously suck.

So...no use illegally downloading an album or a movie. Since the quality is poor, you've obviously got no reason to want it.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say "this is art, I should be able to experience it without paying for it", and then turn around and say "that artist doesn't like working for free?! That makes his art garbage!"

If his art is garbage, then you don't need to watch/play/listen to it. In which case, you've just destroyed your own argument for piracy.

Many do what they do not for financial gain, but because they believe in what they are doing, and if riches come their way under the Capitalistic model of Western society, then great, they can live an easier and more decadent life, but this is not what motivates them. There are FAR too many clowns in the entertainment industry that are in it for the money, and some that just think that their cheezy contributions are actually "good" (Uwe Boll; Mike Bay). Capitalism, money, and greed are counterproductive to society, and only serve to isolate, segregate, and increase paranoia.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 RobboElRobbo
[QUOTE="Assassin1349"][QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"][QUOTE="Assassin1349"] It isn't really the 60 dollar price tag that ruined it. No one wants to buy it strictly because of the DRM which requires you to have an active internet connection at all times so you can stay logged on to the ubi servers. Also the saves are stored on their servers and they have been having trouble keeping the servers up.

Heh, about that..

I don't get it. I was waiting for a picture to load or something but that's all there is to your post. I'm guessing you're implying I pirated it?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 MrGeezer

Many do what they do not for financial gain, but because they believe in what they are doing, and if riches come their way under the Capitalistic model of Western society, then great, they can live an easier and more decadent life, but this is not what motivates them. There are FAR too many clowns in the entertainment industry that are in it for the money, and some that just think that their cheezy contributions are actually "good" (Uwe Boll; Mike Bay). Capitalism, money, and greed are counterproductive to society, and only serve to isolate, segregate, and increase paranoia.

compost-mentis

Great. This rant against capitalism is irrelevant.

We've already established that YOU aren't willing to work for free. But that you think that artists SHOULD work for free, since "they're ARTISTS, not BUSINESSMEN".

What makes "screwing someone over by enjoying the fruits of their labor and not compensating them" okay when we're talking about artists? Instead, for the sake of argument, let's suppose that some dude works at a company that makes windows. Let's assume that this dude polishes the windows, or does a final quality inspection. Let's assume that the company goes broke, and immediately fires everyone and tries to avoid paying them money that they were owed.

Is THAT okay? If it's okay to enjoy the fruits of the artist's labors without paying him, then what makes it any different to enjoy the fruits of a window polisher's labors and then denying paying him for the work that he already did?

Both the artist and the window polisher could not have done that work in the first place, without monetary compensation. You know, seeing as how both artists and window polishers need to eat, and food costs money. What makes it okay to enjoy the artist's work without paying, while it's wrong to benefit from any other service worker's work without paying?

Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Assassin1349

[QUOTE="Assassin1349"][QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

RobboElRobbo

Heh, about that..

I don't get it. I was waiting for a picture to load or something but that's all there is to your post. I'm guessing you're implying I pirated it?

No, I'm implying that the pirates have successfully cracked that game too. Meaning that Ubisoft made everything really inconvenient for people who actually payed for the game for no good reason.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 RobboElRobbo

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"][QUOTE="Assassin1349"]Heh, about that.. Assassin1349

No, I'm implying that the pirates have successfully cracked that game too. Meaning that Ubisoft made everything really inconvenient for people who actually payed for the game for no good reason.

Yeah. All they had to do was lower the price.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="Assassin1349"]

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

RobboElRobbo

Yeah. All they had to do was lower the price.

In the minds of most pirates, paying nothing is always preferable to paying a fair price. Everyone who makes media could make a significant loss on every single thing they produce, and pirates would still illegally obtain it for free. Because paying nothing > paying anything.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#199 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Yeah, pretty much. Just in a digital way.

foxtrot4239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 foxtrot4239
Member since 2009 • 145 Posts

Piracy or to promote a non violent product to a willing worldwide community under the word piracy. Let me slap your wrist. It works both ways.