Is Piracy Stealing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]Technically, you're actually "taking money" from the recording company.Velocitas8

Nope. Only the potential exists.

On the other end of the spectrum: you could also be making them money.

Example: say a kid burns a mixed music CD for his friend (which is an illegal reproduction and distribution of copyrighted music.) His friend likes a particular artist on the CD, and begins buying music from that artist on iTunes.

Wrong, you are taking money away from the industry, artist and the store that sell's them.

And your example is wrong as well, if you burned someone a cd, they will most likely pirate more songs of that artist.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]Technically, you're actually "taking money" from the recording company.Velocitas8

Example: say a kid burns a mixed music CD for his friend (which is an illegal reproduction and distribution of copyrighted music.) His friend likes a particular artist on the CD, and begins buying music from that artist on iTunes.

But say the kid doesn't buy anything from iTunes. He is then in possession of the music and nobody got paid. And even if he does buy the things from iTunes, he's got two copies and he only paid once.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

Coming from someone who works in the music industry, I think piracy is terrible and IS stealing. Piracy (whether it be games, movies, music...ect) has impacted many different industries and it's a shame to see people trying to justify it. I don't judge others who do it, but piracy is stealing and should not be tolerated.

MarcusAntonius

Who's justifying anything? If the content providers could work out an updated business model, none of this would be an issue.

They have provided an updated model. Tons of different ones, and personally I think its stupid. However, most people like them.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#55 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

You are maybe taking away a 'potential' profit. However, if you never had the intention of ever paying for it, then it was never a potential profit. I'm not saying it's right. But how could the company be loosing anything if you were never going to pay for their product in the first place? You will always have the audience that wants to pay for the product and then you will always have the audience who won't.

Assassin1349
Let's say piracy never existed. A new CD comes out, and you want to listen to it. You have no friends who own it yet, and the only way to listen to it is to physically go out and buy it. Now let's throw piracy back in. You want to listen to it, but since you can get it for free, why the hell bother paying for it? Piracy is too tempting for so many people, and since they partake in it, they are in essence stealing. Yes, some people have no intention of buying things either way, but piracy IS affecting a lot of people THINKING about buying something.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Indeed, just don't tell the music industry that. However there are alternatives such as Last.FM and Pandora, which I'd be remiss if I didn't bring that up. A consumer only directly supports the artist by purchasing tickets and band memorabilia anyway.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="Assassin1349"]

You are maybe taking away a 'potential' profit. However, if you never had the intention of ever paying for it, then it was never a potential profit. I'm not saying it's right. But how could the company be loosing anything if you were never going to pay for their product in the first place? You will always have the audience that wants to pay for the product and then you will always have the audience who won't.

JustPlainLucas

Let's say piracy never existed. A new CD comes out, and you want to listen to it. You have no friends who own it yet, and the only way to listen to it is to physically go out and buy it. Now let's throw piracy back in. You want to listen to it, but since you can get it for free, why the hell bother paying for it? Piracy is too tempting for so many people, and since they partake in it, they are in essence stealing. Yes, some people have no intention of buying things either way, but piracy IS affecting a lot of people THINKING about buying something.

Very well said Lucas. ;)

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Wrong, you are taking money away from the industry, artist and the store that sell's them.

And your example is wrong as well, if you burned someone a cd, they will most likely pirate more songs of that artist.mexicangordo

Lol, no. "Not giving profit" is not equivalent to "taking away profit."

As for the second line: lol generalizations. I'm sure that's the case with some people, but certainly not all.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 blackngold29

[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]Technically, you're actually "taking money" from the recording company.MarcusAntonius

Indeed, just don't tell the music industry that. However there are alternatives such as Last.FM and Pandora, which I'd be remiss if I didn't bring that up. A consumer only directly supports the artist by purchasing tickets and band memorabilia anyway.

It doesn't matter if it's the band or the record label, it's taking money from SOMEONE! If you want a free way to explore new artists look on YouTube, virtually every band out there has legally release a single on the site.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MarcusAntonius

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

Coming from someone who works in the music industry, I think piracy is terrible and IS stealing. Piracy (whether it be games, movies, music...ect) has impacted many different industries and it's a shame to see people trying to justify it. I don't judge others who do it, but piracy is stealing and should not be tolerated.

mexicangordo

Who's justifying anything? If the content providers could work out an updated business model, none of this would be an issue.

They have provided an updated model. Tons of different ones, and personally I think its stupid. However, most people like them.

They're getting there. Ditching DRM was a big step, digital sales, and lo and behold........music piracy has sharply declined! Amazing the things that happen when you treat your customers better!

Though iTunes can still go to hell.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]Technically, you're actually "taking money" from the recording company.MarcusAntonius

That is very wrong my friend.... The music industry does get hurt when the "potential" is taken away.

And there is no way pirating music will help any industry make money, that is just a very far fetched thought process.

Also, a consumer supports artists through sales of cd's, cd's and music are the ones that tie touring, merchandise, clothing...ect together. And artists get paid a lot of money extra for records sold.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MarcusAntonius

If you want a free way to explore new artists look on YouTube, virtually every band out there has legally release a single on the site.blackngold29

Until it get hits with a takedown notice.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Velocitas8

And even if he does buy the things from iTunes, he's got two copies and he only paid once.blackngold29

So? I have 3 copies of much of my music. One on the original CD, one on my computer ripped to lossless (computer listening+backup+quick access for transcoding), and one on my Cowon D2+ transcoded to aoTuV Vorbis..

I only paid for the orignal CD, yet this is all completely legal.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 JustPlainLucas

I don't see how this post supports your argument of the two of them being identical.

McJugga

Guy A: "I want the new Gorillaz album. I'm going to Best Buy and stealing it."
Guy B: "I want the new Gorillaz album. I'm going to download it on the Internet illegally."

Things Guy A and B have in common:

• Both have 10 dollars in their pocket
  • Both want the same album
  • Both obtained album illegally
  • Both still have 10 dollars in their pocket

Gorillaz did not see a cent out of a potential 20 dollars.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MarcusAntonius

That is very wrong my friend.... The music industry does get hurt when the "potential" is taken away.

And there is no way pirating music will help any industry make money, that is just a very far fetched thought process.

Also, a consumer supports artists through sales of cd's, cd's and music are the ones that tie touring, merchandise, clothing...ect together. And artists get paid a lot of money extra for records sold.

mexicangordo

You're the first person I've ever known who works in the music industry who has ever made that claim.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 blackngold29

[QUOTE="blackngold29"]If you want a free way to explore new artists look on YouTube, virtually every band out there has legally release a single on the site.MarcusAntonius

Until it get hits with a takedown notice.

"Virtually every band out there has LEGALLY released a single..."
Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Assassin1349
Member since 2009 • 2798 Posts
[QUOTE="Assassin1349"]

JustPlainLucas

Wouldn't it be nice if piracy didn't exist? Too bad you can't get rid of piracy.That's why there are those who partake in piracy and will probably never stop unless you eliminate piracy once and for all. Once again, you can't get rid of it. So, it's best to not include the folks who choose to pirate as a part of potential sales. They won't pay for it. Forget it. What businesses need to do is focus on making better products for the legitimate customers. Fight piracy with the law - not by imposing crippling DRM.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

To those saying piracy isn't stealing, stop justifying it for your particular needs, because it IS most definitely theft. Lets pretend I hacked itunes and downloaded all something million tracks, would you consider this "sharing" or stealing? Because its the same thing as going to any site and downloading something.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]Wrong, you are taking money away from the industry, artist and the store that sell's them.

And your example is wrong as well, if you burned someone a cd, they will most likely pirate more songs of that artist.Velocitas8

Lol, no. "Not giving profit" is not equivalent to "taking away profit."

As for the second line: lol generalizations. I'm sure that's the case with some people, but certainly not all.

lol? im glad you find something funny.

You still don't understand how sales go back to the artist. Even through legal downloading (i.e itunes) But I suppose because you download something you "wouldnt buy" (very silly argument) in the first place then its not "taking away profit" :roll:

And im not generalizing anything. If you give someone a c.d that you burned yourself without paying, why wouldn't they go on do it as well...:|

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#70 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
It's pretty much like sneaking into a movie.
Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Assassin1349

To those saying piracy isn't stealing, stop justifying it for your particular needs, because it IS most definitely theft. Lets pretend I hacked itunes and downloaded all something million tracks, would you consider this "sharing" or stealing? Because its the same thing as going to any site and downloading something.

racer8dan
I don't justify piracy but it isn't stealing.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts

[QUOTE="McJugga"]

I don't see how this post supports your argument of the two of them being identical.

JustPlainLucas

Guy B: "I want the new Gorillaz album. I'm going to download it on the Internet illegally."

• Both have 10 dollars in their pocket
  • Both want the same album
  • Both obtained album illegally
  • Both still have 10 dollars in their pocket

And yet, one steals a physical object that costs money to produce.

Guy B: "I kind of want the Gorillaz album, but I don't think it's worth paying for. I'm not going to do anything v_v."

* Both have 10 dollars in their pocket

* Both want the same album

* Both still have 10 dollars in their pocket

Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Yes. And all you pirates are thieves.

But it's funny to see the excuses they come up with nonetheless.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 JustPlainLucas

MarcusAntonius
:lol: I'll never support iTunes. I'm too stubborn in my ways with physical CDs. :P
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

MarcusAntonius

You're the first person I've ever known who works in the music industry who has ever made that claim.

Thats a surprise or shal I say a darn shame. Many who have worked in the industry, despise illegal downloading unless its promoted by the artist (i.e Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, tons of indie bands)

However there is two sides of the spectrum, and I don't judge the other. All i can say is downloading in general changed the entire industry for the worse imo.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

JustPlainLucas

:lol: I'll never support iTunes. I'm too stubborn in my ways with physical CDs. :P

Awesome! I give lots of kudos for people who don't download music (as much of course) and those who still buy c.d's/records.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 JustPlainLucas
Wouldn't it be nice if piracy didn't exist? Too bad you can't get rid of piracy.That's why there are those who partake in piracy and will probably never stop unless you eliminate piracy once and for all. Once again, you can't get rid of it. So, it's best to not include the folks who choose to pirate as a part of potential sales. They won't pay for it. Forget it. What businesses need to do is focus on making better products for the legitimate customers. Fight piracy with the law - not by imposing crippling DRM. Assassin1349
Which is why I included the part of it influencing the ones who WOULD buy CDs had piracy not been around for so long. My previous post still supports the fact that piracy still IS affecting sales.
Adrianstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Adrianstalker
Member since 2008 • 1467 Posts

There is a great article on a portuguese scientific magazine to which explains how piracy is helping shapping the trade market of this digital era. In a good way that is

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 MarcusAntonius

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

JustPlainLucas

Amazon for me.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
Yes.. but it's worse than stealing.. because not only do you steal.. you sell/buy aswell.. making more profit and taking more money..
Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Assassin1349
[QUOTE="Assassin1349"]Wouldn't it be nice if piracy didn't exist? Too bad you can't get rid of piracy.That's why there are those who partake in piracy and will probably never stop unless you eliminate piracy once and for all. Once again, you can't get rid of it. So, it's best to not include the folks who choose to pirate as a part of potential sales. They won't pay for it. Forget it. What businesses need to do is focus on making better products for the legitimate customers. Fight piracy with the law - not by imposing crippling DRM. JustPlainLucas
Which is why I included the part of it influencing the ones who WOULD buy CDs had piracy not been around for so long. My previous post still supports the fact that piracy still IS affecting sales.

But it's not the same as stealing as the company isn't loosing any of their products.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 blackngold29

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

mexicangordo

Awesome! I give lots of kudos for people who don't download music (as much of course) and those who still buy c.d's/records.

CDs are better quality anyway, and they can't crash like your computer. I always buy CDs.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 mexicangordo

There is a great article on a portuguese scientific magazine to which explains how piracy is helping shapping the trade market of this digital era. In a good way that is

Adrianstalker

Yea, tons of people are saying that as well. But define "what's" good?

I guess Im just one of those old fashion thinkers of the industry. :P

However I will say that I still hate how fast everything has gotten. Its become a singles game now. A big shame indeed.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]:lol: I'll never support iTunes. I'm too stubborn in my ways with physical CDs. :Pblackngold29

CDs are better quality anyway, and they can't crash like your computer. I always buy CDs.

Yea way better quality, and you actually own the songs as well plus artwork. :P

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 blackngold29

[QUOTE="blackngold29"]And even if he does buy the things from iTunes, he's got two copies and he only paid once.Velocitas8

So? I have 3 copies of much of my music. One on the original CD, one on my computer ripped to lossless (computer listening+backup+quick access for transcoding), and one on my Cowon D2+ transcoded to aoTuV Vorbis..

It's not actually having the copies, it's how they are acquired. You legally purchased music on a disc, your friend did not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="Assassin1349"]Wouldn't it be nice if piracy didn't exist? Too bad you can't get rid of piracy.That's why there are those who partake in piracy and will probably never stop unless you eliminate piracy once and for all. Once again, you can't get rid of it. So, it's best to not include the folks who choose to pirate as a part of potential sales. They won't pay for it. Forget it. What businesses need to do is focus on making better products for the legitimate customers. Fight piracy with the law - not by imposing crippling DRM. Assassin1349

But it's not the same as stealing as the company isn't loosing any of their products.

They don't make money on cd's they make money on the content that's on the cd, when your taking content that otherwise would have been on the cd, your stealing directly from the company.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Velocitas8

[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

[QUOTE="blackngold29"]And even if he does buy the things from iTunes, he's got two copies and he only paid once.blackngold29

It's not actually having the copies, it's how they are acquired. You legally purchased music on a disc, your friend did not.

Okay, but that doesn't relate at all to what I just said/what I quoted.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 JustPlainLucas

Guy B: "I kind of want the Gorillaz album, but I don't think it's worth paying for. I'm not going to do anything v_v."

McJugga

In terms of stealing, as in acquiring something that isn't yours without paying for it, in an illegal fashion, lifting a CD from a shop, and pirating the album on the Internet is the same thing. *pinches nose* I do'nt know of any other way to put it...

Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Assassin1349

[QUOTE="Assassin1349"][QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"] Which is why I included the part of it influencing the ones who WOULD buy CDs had piracy not been around for so long. My previous post still supports the fact that piracy still IS affecting sales.racer8dan

They don't make money on cd's they make money on the content that's on the cd, when your taking content that otherwise would have been on the cd, your stealing directly from the company.

Actually I think stealing would be going to itunes.com, hacking it and taking the songs from the site for free. If my source isn't the company or a retailer, I'm not directly taking it from them.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts

[QUOTE="McJugga"]

JustPlainLucas

In terms of stealing, as in acquiring something that isn't yours without paying for it, in an illegal fashion, lifting a CD from a shop, and pirating the album on the Internet is the same thing. *pinches nose* I do'nt know of any other way to put it...

Similarities exist, that doesn't make them "exactly" the same, as you previously stated. My shoes and my hat are both smooth, red and have a blue bottom. Yet they are still not exactly the same thing.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Velocitas8

I also don't see the difference between buying second hand cd's (legal) and pirating CD's (illegal). Either way the artists and the labels they are slaves of don't see a dime.brutal_one88

Aye, buying second-hand is equivalent to piracy in my eyes.

This also happens in the video game industry with the used games market. It affects the games industry financially to an even higher degree than it does the recording industry. It's getting to the point that publishers are having to provide additonal incentives to those who buy games new (EA has been doing this lately.)

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 JustPlainLucas

mexicangordo
Never been a fan of DD anyway. The only DD I do are for titles I can't get anywhere else, like XBLA games.
Yes.. but it's worse than stealing.. because not only do you steal.. you sell/buy aswell.. making more profit and taking more money..Strider_91
Good point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="Assassin1349"]But it's not the same as stealing as the company isn't loosing any of their products. Assassin1349

Actually I think stealing would be going to itunes.com, hacking it and taking the songs from the site for free. If my source isn't the company or a retailer, I'm not directly taking it from them.

Why? I wasn't planning on buying the music from itunes anyways so whats the difference if I hack it and download the music for free, they weren't getting a sale from me anyways, right? Your proving my point.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 JustPlainLucas
But it's not the same as stealing as the company isn't loosing any of their products. Assassin1349
Which is very cheap to make. The fact that they still aren't seeing a return for making the actual music itself (studio sessions, artist salaries, promoting, etc) still stands. And a product is still obtained by the pirater, even if it just a bunch of 0s and 1s, and no cost to the consumer.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

[QUOTE="Adrianstalker"]

mexicangordo

However I will say that I still hate how fast everything has gotten. Its become a singles game now. A big shame indeed.

It could induce a competition effect?

Company has to make their official copy worth more and better to deal with the free illegal copies (competition).

Just speculating.:P

Adrianstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Adrianstalker
Member since 2008 • 1467 Posts

[QUOTE="Adrianstalker"]

mexicangordo

Its "good" because a practice of those who makes the products put inside the price that is called intellectual property. In historical terms intellectual property was basically the greatest economy scam ever. It is the reason why you canpay U$10.000 for a Gucci purse that the production cost didn't even reached 100 bucks. Now a talented pirate could imitate exactly the same purse with the same materials and sell for 200 bucks for ex. In that form the piracy act is helping shaping (pushing) a more just price for the original and forgetting the price indication that the brand does. On terms of digital piracy same is happening but on a much more larger scale to the point that freeaware and shareware are now a huge deal.

Nothing is purely black and white there is a huge grey area for everything, so saying that piracy can cause nothing but negative effect is wrong, same saying that would only make it good

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
I don't consider it stealing but I'm not going to try and justify myself, I know its wrong.
Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Assassin1349

[QUOTE="Assassin1349"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]They don't make money on cd's they make money on the content that's on the cd, when your taking content that otherwise would have been on the cd, your stealing directly from the company.

racer8dan

Why? I wasn't planning on buying the music from itunes anyways so whats the difference if I hack it and download the music for free, they weren't getting a sale from me anyways, right? Your proving my point.

I guess you don't understand the concept of stealing. Any bank robber would agree with me.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts

Yes it is, sad so many said it isnt. Stealing is is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent, so yes it is stealing.