Is Piracy Stealing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
Is Piracy Stealing? Can it be classified as Theft. Discuss
kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

Its called piracy. So yeah. /thread

Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Assassin1349
Member since 2009 • 2798 Posts

It's copying not stealing. Stealing would be going into a store and stealing a cd from the shelf. Copying would be downloading the MP3 files that someone ripped off of their cd. Still illegal and probably just as wrong but not the same practice.

Aft3rBurn3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Aft3rBurn3r
Member since 2007 • 668 Posts
Absolutely. I don't think your gonna get in a whole lotta trouble though, unless you did major stuff.
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Technically no. Stealing requires the taking of an object away from its owner. In the case of piracy nothing is actually taken away from the creator of said content, they still possess the content that they created.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

theft is theft and piracy is piracy. Both steal the potential for profit, but piracy doesn't take an item or good and leave a person or company with less than before.

now end thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
it fits the definition of squatting more than stealing
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

It's copying not stealing. Stealing would be going into a store and stealing a cd from the shelf. Copying would be downloading the MP3 files that someone ripped off of their cd. Still illegal and probably just as wrong but not the same practice.

Assassin1349
Pretty much. Your not taking something, just duplicating it.
Lethargika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lethargika
Member since 2009 • 1666 Posts

I would say it IS stealing. I kind of look at it similar to a street merchant with his inventory all laid out on a table, each with a pricetag. The items are there for everyone to see, but there always is a pricetag. You can of course just take the item without paying for it quite easily, and not get caught, or you can be honest and pay for it. It's very similar if you think about it, don't let the digital format fool you. The originator should be getting money for every copy distributed.

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts

Though it technically a(nd legally) is not stealing, the effect to the owner of the object is the same.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

It depends on what you consider piracy. Tape recording shows off TV and recording songs off the radio as a kid was considered OK. If I download that stuff nowadays I'm called a thief.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Well, you're essentially taking money out of a company's pocket, because you aren't paying for it, just as if you lifted a CD or DVD off a shelf. Exact same thing, except the former is digital.
Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Assassin1349

Though it technically a(nd legally) is not stealing, the effect to the owner of the object is the same.

daqua_99
Not necessarily. Many people who are pirating have no intention of ever paying for the product and since it isn't a direct loss from a store shelf it isn't considered the same type of loss.
Avatar image for batman_is_aweso
batman_is_aweso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 batman_is_aweso
Member since 2009 • 2762 Posts

Technically no. Stealing requires the taking of an object away from its owner. In the case of piracy nothing is actually taken away from the creator of said content, they still possess the content that they created. Darth-Caedus

thisstealing is taking from the owner and piracy is copying

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MarcusAntonius

Well, you're essentially taking money out of a company's pocket, because you aren't paying for it, just as if you lifted a CD or DVD off a shelf. Exact same thing, except the former is digital.JustPlainLucas

So if I have a cable subscription and I record content from premium channels, am I stealing?

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Of course it is stealing. You are getting something illegally for free without permission.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JustPlainLucas
In My Opinion, Piracy Is Not Stealing. Why? Because No Object Is Lost There For Nothing Is Stolen :)NerubianWeaver
Faulty logic. What's lost is the potential sale. Like I said earlier, it's the exact same thing as going into a store and taking a CD without purchasing it. You still obtained an album, you didn't pay for it, the company didn't earn a sale from you. If 150,000 people would like to buy a CD, but they find out they can pirate it instead, then that's 1,500,000 dollars lost, assuming the album is 10 dollars. Make sense now?
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]In My Opinion, Piracy Is Not Stealing. Why? Because No Object Is Lost There For Nothing Is Stolen :)JustPlainLucas
Faulty logic. What's lost is the potential sale. Like I said earlier, it's the exact same thing as going into a store and taking a CD without purchasing it. You still obtained an album, you didn't pay for it, the company didn't earn a sale from you. If 150,000 people would like to buy a CD, but they find out they can pirate it instead, then that's 1,500,000 dollars lost, assuming the album is 10 dollars. Make sense now?

Wait... You think they are the "exact" same thing?
Lethargika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lethargika
Member since 2009 • 1666 Posts

You are getting a product that costs money for free.............:?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JustPlainLucas

subscription

MarcusAntonius
You just answered your own question. If you weren't allowed to record TV shows, then Tivos would be illegal.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="McJugga"] Wait... You think they are the "exact" same thing?

Yes. Didn't I explain myself well enough?
Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Assassin1349
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="McJugga"] Wait... You think they are the "exact" same thing?

Well, no offense, but they are not. They are both illegal but different branches.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MarcusAntonius

What's lost is the potential sale. Like I said earlier, it's the exact same thing as going into a store and taking a CD without purchasing it. You still obtained an album, you didn't pay for it,JustPlainLucas

Lucas, I like you, but I think you're dead wrong on this. Can you say that you have never in your entire life ever received a burned disk of copyrighted content or had a friend copy files onto your portable media player or computer?

If you have, then that would also be stealing I suppose.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MarcusAntonius

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

subscription

JustPlainLucas

You just answered your own question. If you weren't allowed to record TV shows, then Tivos would be illegal.

Yes, but I'm still holding the content for later use. That would be an unauthorized reproduction.

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 McJugga

[QUOTE="McJugga"]
Wait... You think they are the "exact" same thing?JustPlainLucas

In one scenario, the potential for a sale is lost.
In the other, an actual, physical product (that costs money to produce) is lost.

How can they be exactly the same when clear differences exist...? :|

If you spent weeks on a really nice painting, would you rather have me take the painting, or would you rather have me photocopy it?

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
Piracy - the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc. Steal - to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right Yes, same thing.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MarcusAntonius

Piracy - the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc. blackngold29

Which 9 out of 10 people have done at some point.

ced121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ced121
Member since 2009 • 222 Posts

Technically no. Stealing requires the taking of an object away from its owner. In the case of piracy nothing is actually taken away from the creator of said content, they still possess the content that they created. Darth-Caedus

You're taking away the profit that an artist makes by downloading his/her music so therefore it's stealing.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Serraph105
[QUOTE="blackngold29"]Piracy - the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc. Steal - to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right Yes, same thing.

wrong. if you take something from somebody they no longer have it. if you reproduce something both you and somebody else has it. It's a fine line, but then that's why the law classifies them as different acts.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

No. Contrary to popular belief, stealing is stealing. Piracy, on the other hand, is piracy.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="Assassin1349"] You're still taking what isn't yours, right?

Lucas, I like you, but I think you're dead wrong on this. Can you say that you have never in your entire life ever received a burned disk of copyrighted content or had a friend copy files onto your portable media player or computer?

If you have, then that would also be stealing I suppose.

MarcusAntonius
I plead the fifth, to avoid possible moderation. :P

You just answered your own question. If you weren't allowed to record TV shows, then Tivos would be illegal.MarcusAntonius

Yes, but I'm still holding the content for later use. That would be an unauthorized reproduction.

I would think the cable companies would expect that to happen, because not everyone would be home to watch the shows when they aired. Do'nt think there's any way around that.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MarcusAntonius

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Technically no. Stealing requires the taking of an object away from its owner. In the case of piracy nothing is actually taken away from the creator of said content, they still possess the content that they created. ced121

You're taking away the profit that an artist makes by downloading his/her music so therefore it's stealing.

Technically, you're actually "taking money" from the recording company.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blackngold29

[QUOTE="blackngold29"]Piracy - the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc. MarcusAntonius

How so? Fair use takes up a big chunk. You can use things, you just can't sell them.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Serraph105

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Technically no. Stealing requires the taking of an object away from its owner. In the case of piracy nothing is actually taken away from the creator of said content, they still possess the content that they created. ced121

once again wrong. There is no way of knowing for sure that they would ever get that profit. thus you take away potential profit.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
by law it is, but I don't consider it stealing. I consider it sharing.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

It's a form of stealing, but it's not equivalent to physical theft.

Radiatedrich91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Radiatedrich91
Member since 2009 • 707 Posts

Maybe it is stealing, maybe it isn't. Who cares, I have no morals anyway.

Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Assassin1349

You are maybe taking away a 'potential' profit. However, if you never had the intention of ever paying for it, then it was never a potential profit. I'm not saying it's right. But how could the company be loosing anything if you were never going to pay for their product in the first place? You will always have the audience that wants to pay for the product and then you will always have the audience who won't.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blackngold29
[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="blackngold29"]Piracy - the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc. Steal - to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right Yes, same thing.

wrong. if you take something from somebody they no longer have it. if you reproduce something both you and somebody else has it. It's a fine line, but then that's why the law classifies them as different acts.

Just because it's not a physical object doesn't mean you can't take it. If you take a picture, and I use it in a book and don't credit you and it makes a ton of money, you still have a copy of that picture, but I have still taken money away from you.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Serraph105

[QUOTE="blackngold29"]Piracy - the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc. MarcusAntonius

but that doesn't make it right. All I'm saying is there is a difference (if only a small one) between the two.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JustPlainLucas

In the other, an actual, physical product (that costs money to produce) is lost.

If you spent weeks on a really nice painting, would you rather have me take the painting, or would you rather have me photocopy it?

McJugga

I'd rather you pay me for the painting. In a business sense, you just stole from me, because I didn't make squat on my painting. If you physically stole the painting from me, I'd just paint another painting, just as a publisher would just press another disc. Now, a potential sale is lost whether a disc is pirated, or a disc is sitting on a shelf for months, but someone comes along and steals it for themselves. Piracy is the same as stealing from stores, and is more preferable because it's harder to get caught doing it.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MarcusAntonius

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

[QUOTE="blackngold29"]Piracy - the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc. blackngold29

How so? Fair use takes up a big chunk. You can use things, you just can't sell them.

Fair use? No, the DMCA already made that illegal.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blackngold29

[QUOTE="blackngold29"][QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

MarcusAntonius

Fair use? No, the DMCA already made that illegal.

Fair use applies to anything, not just internet stuff.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Coming from someone who works in the music industry, I think piracy is terrible and IS stealing. Piracy (whether it be games, movies, music...ect) has impacted many different industries and it's a shame to see people trying to justify it. I don't judge others who do it, but piracy is stealing and should not be tolerated.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MarcusAntonius

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

[QUOTE="blackngold29"]Piracy - the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc. Serraph105

but that doesn't make it right. All I'm saying is there is a difference (if only a small one) between the two.

Is it right that Big Content can slap on copy protection and then lobby Congress for the DMCA so that my Fair Use rights have been effectively eliminated?

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Technically, you're actually "taking money" from the recording company.MarcusAntonius

Nope. Only the potential exists.

On the other end of the spectrum: you could also be making them money.

Example: say a kid burns a mixed music CD for his friend (which is an illegal reproduction and distribution of copyrighted music.) His friend likes a particular artist on the CD, and begins buying music from that artist on iTunes.

edit: Not that I'm trying to justify it. I'm sure the profit lost vastly outweighs any potentially-gained sales. Still, the music & movie industries are doing just fine despite piracy..so this seems like a pretty pointless argument regardless. It's more of an issue for video game devs/publishers, imo.

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 McJugga

[QUOTE="McJugga"]

JustPlainLucas

I'd rather you pay me for the painting. In a business sense, you just stole from me, because I didn't make squat on my painting. If you physically stole the painting from me, I'd just paint another painting, just as a publisher would just press another disc. Now, a potential sale is lost whether a disc is pirated, or a disc is sitting on a shelf for months, but someone comes along and steals it for themselves. Piracy is the same as stealing from stores, and is more preferable because it's harder to get caught doing it.

I don't see how this post supports your argument of the two of them being identical.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MarcusAntonius

Coming from someone who works in the music industry, I think piracy is terrible and IS stealing. Piracy (whether it be games, movies, music...ect) has impacted many different industries and it's a shame to see people trying to justify it. I don't judge others who do it, but piracy is stealing and should not be tolerated.

mexicangordo

Who's justifying anything? If the content providers could work out an updated business model, none of this would be an issue.