Is Piracy Stealing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#851 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts
[QUOTE="optiow"]Yes it is stealing.jimmyjammer69
Aren't you supposed to believe all property is theft or something?

Lol :lol: In all honesty I think it is.
reyad-u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#852 reyad-u
Member since 2006 • 6960 Posts

It could be considered stealing I suppose. Although just because someone downloads something doesn't mean they were going to buy the software/game/song in the first place, one thing most companies seem to misunderstand.

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#853 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"][QUOTE="T_P_O"]

Oh, there is a lot of doubt in the matter. Let's see, piracy is just a sensationalized term for "copyright infringement", right? Or at least, it's another term for it. Theft is the criminal offence, of well, theft (obviousness). You can't charge copyright infringement under theft, you treat "piracy" as copyright infringement and theft as theft, they are not equal. Otherwise, I think the legal system would reflect if they were.

edit: messed up my quotation marks, drat.

T_P_O

Did you bother reading my other post >_>

Nope, but when you just assert it as "no doubt", you shouldn't expect someone to not contest it. I just sought to remind you of the legal boundaries between theft and copyright infringement which you tried to conflate oh so easily. Alright, I've just read it, and to be honest, it seems like you're kind of mistaking what the picture intends to mean. The point is that the original is not removed/taken from the creator, it's just copied. Stealing would be depriving someone of the item, in copyright infringement, you're copying a copy of the original which someone has a copyright on. Just because someone's tampered with the copy doesn't make it stealing or theft, it remains copyright infringement. In terms of music/movies on CD's/DVD's/Blu-rays, I could make this analogy: If I go to a concert or a cinema, that would be like eating in McDonalds and purchasing the food there. However, a CD/DVD is like going to McDonalds and buying a recipe (obviously assuming you've bought the disc, otherwise you have obviously stolen the disk and have committed theft) and having a machine at home to follow the recipe, since the DVD/CD is essentially a formula that tells your PC/player how to generate the movie/music using your own resources (power &computer). You eliminate the need to go to McDonalds for that particular item of food. If I download a copy of the files of a disk that someone ripped and uploaded to a P2P network or wherever, I'm not exactly depriving/taking anything off of the copyright holder, I'm just copying the instructions from the copy of the recipe that someone's put onto the internet without permission to do so (illegally, violating copyright), no deprivation occurs. Then you get to that argument of the creator losing potential income, which has been circular in this thread too many times for me to bother going into it, because I'm sure someone will just ignore what I've written and quote this sentence regardless, bringing us back to that issue for the 9001st time.

Are you having a hard time to understand the image that i posted. Look at the pictures again and read my explanation one more time