--Nintendo WiFi Connection FAQ & Info-- *GAMES, help, routers, more!*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sarconi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 sarconi
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts
my modem has an ethernet port but my pc dosnt
Ghosty_Square

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Ghosty_Square
Member since 2005 • 90 Posts
If my computer has wirelesss LAN (802.11 b/g) and it can connect to the internet will it be possible to use it to connect to the internet with the DS or do I need a router?

Another thing: While I understand that current games will not be able to get online in the usual way, couldn't we see some software that lets a computer similate a DS to DS wireless connection and can thus allow current games to be played over the internet?
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153 sp0inK
Member since 2005 • 18755 Posts

If my computer has wirelesss LAN (802.11 b/g) and it can connect to the internet will it be possible to use it to connect to the internet with the DS or do I need a router?

Another thing: While I understand that current games will not be able to get online in the usual way, couldn't we see some software that lets a computer similate a DS to DS wireless connection and can thus allow current games to be played over the internet?
Ghosty_Square

Wireless LAN for your PC means that it is able to pick up signals from Routers enabling it to go online.
Your PC has nothing to do with the DS WiFi Online, and yes you will need a wireless router.

No, we will not see games going online all of a sudden unless a new version of the game is released.

Ghosty_Square

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Ghosty_Square
Ok thanks for the answer about the router.

Did you read what I said? No new version of the game would be needed, it sounds doable to me.
Ghosty_Square

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Ghosty_Square
Let me make clear what I mean:

I have a DS with a game that plays wirelessly (le'ts assume 1 card play). I am in my house. A friend of mine with a DS is in his house. I start the game and host a multiplayer game. My friend selects download play. Now of course we aren't able to play because we are out of range. However I 've got a PC that has wireless lan. With proper software it connects to my DS as though it was a DS itself and downloads the game data. The data is then send over the net to my friend's PC. In a similar way, his PC connects to his DS as though it was a DS itself and transmits the game data. The same process is repeated while the game is played.

I believe we could see something like that.

cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 cubedman990
Member since 2004 • 5354 Posts
[QUOTE="andrewrivas"][QUOTE="-WhiteSnake-"][QUOTE="yoshi_64"]

[QUOTE="-WhiteSnake-"]I have one last question, I remember my friend mentioning that you could download other games onto your ds from someone elses...? is this true?matthew_senn

DS has what's called "Download Play". Your friend is right, you can download demos, onto your DS, or if you live in Japan, you could use the Download Service, which let you play demos, donwload content, patches, etc...however you don't and most of us here dont..:( I have no clue if Nintendo will even bother bringing it here, for now, because Japan is a much smaller country, where the US and other parts of the world are much larger.

Well it's a good thing still, because you can play multiplayer on DS games, with one game pak, and it offers more options, than the GBA did. It depends on the game,however Meteos, Bomberman DS and Advance Wars DS, are some of the best multiplayer games so far. IMO.

Thats cool how many demos can you store?

You cant store them, their temporary

The DS has 4 KB of RAM built in, so unless they want to release an actually hardware expansion in the form of a GBA cart, I just don't see it happening kid. Don't think GBA expansion paks aren't being thought through though. Daigasso! Band Brothers has a song expansion pak in the form of a GBA cart. Metroid Prime Pinball won't be completely worthless because it will have a rumble pak built in. I don't see extra RAM being built for the DS, but who knows.

It's 4MBs of RAM.

The game will last until you shut it off.

cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 cubedman990
Let me make clear what I mean:

I have a DS with a game that plays wirelessly (le'ts assume 1 card play). I am in my house. A friend of mine with a DS is in his house. I start the game and host a multiplayer game. My friend selects download play. Now of course we aren't able to play because we are out of range. However I 've got a PC that has wireless lan. With proper software it connects to my DS as though it was a DS itself and downloads the game data. The data is then send over the net to my friend's PC. In a similar way, his PC connects to his DS as though it was a DS itself and transmits the game data. The same process is repeated while the game is played.

I believe we could see something like that.

Ghosty_Square
I believe that's tunneling. It's illegal, but a great idea!
sarconi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 sarconi
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts
so the information for the ds to go online with that game is it the ds cgame card it self so could they not make gba cart expansion packs for the other games to go online?
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 sp0inK

so the information for the ds to go online with that game is it the ds cgame card it self so could they not make gba cart expansion packs for the other games to go online?sarconi

Doubt that it'll happen..

_ChrisMichael_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 _ChrisMichael_
Member since 2005 • 463 Posts
Wait, so if I have 56k internet then I can't play DS wifi AT ALL?! That SUCKS.
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 sp0inK
Wait, so if I have 56k internet then I can't play DS wifi AT ALL?! That SUCKS._ChrisMichael_

It'll proably work, but it will be real laggy.
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#162 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts

Wait, so if I have 56k internet then I can't play DS wifi AT ALL?! That SUCKS._ChrisMichael_

upgrade to dsl if you have to or broadband for more money. If you cant just warn me that you are about to play mario kart so i can play with different people

cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 cubedman990
I;m in the same boat as you, man. :evil:
dgroundwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 dgroundwater
Member since 2005 • 924 Posts
Get DSL, its not that much more expensive...
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 cubedman990

Get DSL, its not that much more expensive...dgroundwater
OK when your parents are putting someone through college at $35,000 a year without a full loan, you just bought 4 acres of land adjacent to your house (property around here where I live is VERY expensive), and you still need to pay off your mortgage, add to that gas prices, taxes, taxes on our small cottage up north, then DSL's extra $10/$15 is a lot of money.

EDIT- New Hampshire has such a high quality of life that our taxes have been skyrocketing up each year, so it's no cakewalk.

ColorblindMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 ColorblindMonk
Member since 2004 • 2851 Posts
Okay. Lemme get all this straitened out. I have a cable modem with 10.0 Mbps. If I go to the nearest Radio Shack and get myself a Linksys Wireless router and connect it to the cable modem I can play DS WiFi?
Barkclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Barkclan
Member since 2004 • 86 Posts
Will i be able to use pictochat to talk to my friends over the internet?
Avatar image for Viewtiful-GaMeR
Viewtiful-GaMeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#168 Viewtiful-GaMeR
Member since 2005 • 10789 Posts

Will i be able to use pictochat to talk to my friends over the internet?Barkclan

That has not been confirmed yet, but I would be surprised if it was possible to do that.

cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 cubedman990
Okay. Lemme get all this straitened out. I have a cable modem with 10.0 Mbps. If I go to the nearest Radio Shack and get myself a Linksys Wireless router and connect it to the cable modem I can play DS WiFi?ColorblindMonk
I have no idea if you can hook it up directly to your router. :|
ColorblindMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 ColorblindMonk
[QUOTE="ColorblindMonk"]Okay. Lemme get all this straitened out. I have a cable modem with 10.0 Mbps. If I go to the nearest Radio Shack and get myself a Linksys Wireless router and connect it to the cable modem I can play DS WiFi?cubedman990
I have no idea if you can hook it up directly to your router. :|

It has a USB port.
Barkclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Barkclan
Member since 2004 • 86 Posts

i read somewhere on the internet something about game invites. are there going to be game invites or am i going to have to call my friend to play with him? also about the buddy list thing, will I have a list for my DS or one for each of my games? will it say if they're online?

sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 sp0inK

i read somewhere on the internet something about game invites. are there going to be game invites or am i going to have to call my friend to play with him? also about the buddy list thing, will I have a list for my DS or one for each of my games? will it say if they're online?

Barkclan

Nothing is known at the moment.
Avatar image for Viewtiful-GaMeR
Viewtiful-GaMeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#173 Viewtiful-GaMeR
Member since 2005 • 10789 Posts

Barkclan

Ws still don't know but I hope so.

NickMach9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#174 NickMach9
Member since 2005 • 74 Posts
everybody knows that Metroid will be Wi-Fi ready right? i mean, i jsut read the first post in this forum and it said its only LAN but thts been changed. so yeah...
ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 ShaneBeck
Member since 2005 • 10511 Posts
Okay, I just got my new cable internet. It is 10.0 Mbps. Will I be able to go online?
ColorblindMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 ColorblindMonk
Okay, I just got my new cable internet. It is 10.0 Mbps. Will I be able to go online?ShaneBeck
That's what I want to know too.
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 cubedman990

everybody knows that Metroid will be Wi-Fi ready right? i mean, i jsut read the first post in this forum and it said its only LAN but thts been changed. so yeah...NickMach9
Whoops! Sorry, I must have missed that change! I know I took it out of the FAQ thoguh...I think...:roll:

Thanks again!

cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 cubedman990

[QUOTE="NickMach9"]everybody knows that Metroid will be Wi-Fi ready right? i mean, i jsut read the first post in this forum and it said its only LAN but thts been changed. so yeah...cubedman990

Whoops! Sorry, I must have missed that change! I know I took it out of the FAQ thoguh...I think...:roll:

Thanks again!

Wow, I'm pretty stupid :roll:! I had it the opposite way up there (^)! All fixed!
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 cubedman990
[QUOTE="ShaneBeck"]Okay, I just got my new cable internet. It is 10.0 Mbps. Will I be able to go online?ColorblindMonk

Yeah, 10Mbps is plenty! All you need is a 802.11b or 802.11g wireless router to hook up!
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 cubedman990
[QUOTE="Barkclan"]

sp0inK

Nothing is known at the moment.

Yeah, Satoru Iwata guaranteed, however, that we will know all about the Nintendo WiFi Connection in October.

I'll be sure to update this thread ASA that happens!! ;)

ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 ShaneBeck
[QUOTE="ColorblindMonk"][QUOTE="ShaneBeck"]Okay, I just got my new cable internet. It is 10.0 Mbps. Will I be able to go online?cubedman990

Yeah, 10Mbps is plenty! All you need is a 802.11b or 802.11g wireless router to hook up!

You just made my day man:)
ColorblindMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 ColorblindMonk
Great, my dad mentioned going back to dial up, but I told him we stay on cable or go to DSL. Will DSL work? My dad's friend says it sucks. I don't believe that guy.:(
ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 ShaneBeck
Great, my dad mentioned going back to dial up, but I told him we stay on cable or go to DSL. Will DSL work? My dad's friend says it sucks. I don't believe that guy.:(ColorblindMonk
Yeah, it says on the first page that DSL works.
The_loser15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#184 The_loser15
Member since 2005 • 303 Posts

I only have a wired network and at the monemt i dont have a router, will this USB device solve my problems as I do have a 1mb broadband

teej9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 teej9
Member since 2005 • 2681 Posts

I only have a wired network and at the monemt i dont have a router, will this USB device solve my problems as I do have a 1mb broadband

The_loser15
i believe so
-Uzi7-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 -Uzi7-
Member since 2005 • 3833 Posts
Im happy i dont have to buy a router and all i need is the USB thing.
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 cubedman990

[QUOTE="ColorblindMonk"]Great, my dad mentioned going back to dial up, but I told him we stay on cable or go to DSL. Will DSL work? My dad's friend says it sucks. I don't believe that guy.:(ShaneBeck
Yeah, it says on the first page that DSL works.

Yes, DSL will work.

As for speed comparisons, it all depends on where you are and who your ISP is. I know around here, Comcast (cable) is 4Mbps, and Verizon DSL is 4Mbps. But it always changes, because Comcast used to be 1.5Mbps. It's all about the competition!

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts
I plan on getting a wireless router just to have the connection for my cable modem. My question is, can you connect a wireless router to a wired router? Or a simplified question, can you connect two routers (any type) together? The modem and my room are on opposite ends of the house, the 3rd floor to the basement.
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 cubedman990

Well, FINALLY GameSpot is back...I reformatted the thread so it fits w/o a horizontal scrollbar...It's really annoying, because the editor's BG is white but GS's bg (default) is gray. I need to go complain. And I want Arial back as the default!!!

Anyways, I'm EXTREMELY happy about the USB adapter, it helps me!

davwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 davwade
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hi

I want to know if you can chat with people through the wi-fi connection. Also I asked in september if their would be a usb connector and you said  i didn't read the first page but now im right.

The_Nintendawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 The_Nintendawg
Member since 2005 • 1993 Posts

So let me get this straight:

If I buy the USB thing that Nintendo has recently announced and plug the DS with the USB to my computer, I then will be able to play anyone in the world with the DS.

Is it really that simple?

Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Angelbabe531
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts

2 questions about the usb connector that nintendo is releasing, I realize that they haven't given out more info on it, but what do you think will most likely be the answer to these questions:

1.  Will you be able to use it on any computer besides my own?  Say if I carry it around with my DS and then I go to a friends house who doesn't have a wireless router, could I just plop it into their computer?  This will make a difference between me getting a wireless router and the wifi connector (as of now I have no more wireless devices).

2.  Do you actually have to have your compter on?  I mean, does it plug into your computer's usb port, or the modem's usb port (I have an external DSL modem)?

cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 cubedman990

Hi

I want to know if you can chat with people through the wi-fi connection. Also I asked in september if their would be a usb connector and you said  i didn't read the first page but now im right.

davwade
Yup, it turns out you were right ;) But back then it was still a rumor...
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 cubedman990

So let me get this straight:

If I buy the USB thing that Nintendo has recently announced and plug the DS with the USB to my computer, I then will be able to play anyone in the world with the DS.

Is it really that simple?

The_Nintendawg

Yes and no :P

You can plug it in whenn you're online and play anyone else in the world whi is also online then too.

cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 cubedman990

2 questions about the usb connector that nintendo is releasing, I realize that they haven't given out more info on it, but what do you think will most likely be the answer to these questions:

1.  Will you be able to use it on any computer besides my own?  Say if I carry it around with my DS and then I go to a friends house who doesn't have a wireless router, could I just plop it into their computer?  This will make a difference between me getting a wireless router and the wifi connector (as of now I have no more wireless devices).

2.  Do you actually have to have your compter on?  I mean, does it plug into your computer's usb port, or the modem's usb port (I have an external DSL modem)?

Angelbabe531

1.Yes. It can be used on any computer, I presume, as most computers nowadays have preloaded software to support practically every USB device.

2. Yes, your computer must be on and connected to the internet. I assume, for compatibility (and price issues), that it just goes into your computer and not modems.

meteorgun7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#196 meteorgun7
Member since 2003 • 25135 Posts
Just to make sure. I have dial up internet, Netscape. So this means that I cant play online with my DS even with that USB thing?
role_model4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#197 role_model4
Member since 2005 • 1359 Posts
I'm confused, can u only play online when you're plugged into your computer or can u get something so u can play wirelessly in hotspots????
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 cubedman990
Just to make sure. I have dial up internet, Netscape. So this means that I cant play online with my DS even with that USB thing? meteorgun7
You know, I read somewhere that 56k can connect. But I have no link. It's worth a try! (I'm 56k too...and I hate the new GS to death)
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 cubedman990
I'm confused, can u only play online when you're plugged into your computer or can u get something so u can play wirelessly in hotspots????role_model4
Both, you can play in any hotspot and/or the USB adapter's 'WiFi'
role_model4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#200 role_model4
Member since 2005 • 1359 Posts

[QUOTE="role_model4"]I'm confused, can u only play online when you're plugged into your computer or can u get something so u can play wirelessly in hotspots????cubedman990
Both, you can play in any hotspot and/or the USB adapter's 'WiFi'

okay, thanks man