--Nintendo WiFi Connection FAQ & Info-- *GAMES, help, routers, more!*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

meteorgun7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#201 meteorgun7
Member since 2003 • 25135 Posts

Just to make sure. I have dial up internet, Netscape. So this means that I cant play online with my DS even with that USB thing? meteorgun7

My question isnt answered yet. Can I or not?

luzer7072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 luzer7072
Member since 2003 • 2069 Posts

[QUOTE="meteorgun7"]Just to make sure. I have dial up internet, Netscape. So this means that I cant play online with my DS even with that USB thing? meteorgun7

nope, you can't. sorry. iwata said that the service would only be available through broadband internet like cable, dsl, fiberoptic, ect. dial up just won't cut it. here:

Q. What if I have 56k and/or don't have a wireless router?
A. You can go to www.wififreespot.com to seach your state for free WiFi
hotspots offered (US only)... Or you can go to a friend's house with WiFi and play.

i have a question too though: to cubedman990, i know you said that we could go online with either a 802.11g or 802.11b wireless router, but is there a difference between the two at all? what does the b and g stand for? sorry if you already answered the question, and thanks in advance.

sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 sp0inK
Member since 2005 • 18755 Posts
[QUOTE="meteorgun7"]

[QUOTE="meteorgun7"]Just to make sure. I have dial up internet, Netscape. So this means that I cant play online with my DS even with that USB thing? luzer7072

nope, you can't. sorry. iwata said that the service would only be available through broadband internet like cable, dsl, fiberoptic, ect. dial up just won't cut it. here:

hotspots offered (US only)... Or you can go to a friend's house with WiFi and play.

i have a question too though: to cubedman990, i know you said that we could go online with either a 802.11g or 802.11b wireless router, but is there a difference between the two at all? what does the b and g stand for? sorry if you already answered the question, and thanks in advance.

Wireless B transfers data at a rate of 24MBPS while Wireless G transfers at 54MBPS.
So that means, get wireless G :D
luzer7072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 luzer7072
Member since 2003 • 2069 Posts
[QUOTE="luzer7072"][QUOTE="meteorgun7"]

[QUOTE="meteorgun7"]Just to make sure. I have dial up internet, Netscape. So this means that I cant play online with my DS even with that USB thing? sp0inK

Wireless B transfers data at a rate of 24MBPS while Wireless G transfers at 54MBPS.
So that means, get wireless G :D

:lol: thanks

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#205 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts
Ok, well, my question is what exactly does the USB do?  I understand that if i only have dialup i cant use the ds online at home, but if i were to have dsl, would i still need a router if i had a usb?
Bartboy919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#206 Bartboy919
Member since 2004 • 160 Posts
i belevie you need it if you dont have a wireless router. exaple: Jimmy has a DS, MK: D S, and ultra fast FioS internet. but Jimmy doesnt have any sort of wireless connection to connect to his DS then he buy the USB wifi attachment and life is good for little jimmy

I also have a question. will i be able (some time in the futer obviously) download demos of games using wiFi?
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 sp0inK
i belevie you need it if you dont have a wireless router. exaple: Jimmy has a DS, MK: D S, and ultra fast FioS internet. but Jimmy doesnt have any sort of wireless connection to connect to his DS then he buy the USB wifi attachment and life is good for little jimmy

I also have a question. will i be able (some time in the futer obviously) download demos of games using wiFi?
Bartboy919

Maybe if Nintendo sets some kinda WiF site which you can acess via the DS or something.
Sinerster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#208 Sinerster
Member since 2005 • 590 Posts

Nintendo wifi set up revealed

{
show_notes_initially()
}" />

{
show_notes_initially()
}" />

{
show_notes_initially()
}" />

{
show_notes_initially()
}" />

{
show_notes_initially()
}" />

{
show_notes_initially()
}" />

once u have router/adapter this is how u will set up ur connection

http://www.flickr.com/photos/apreche/52551310/in/set-1139761/

thegamernl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 thegamernl
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts
Those pictures ... are they from the MKDS game? So you make your conenction adjustments through game menus it self. Hmm that worries me liek loads of fureture DS games get wifi and al those times u need to make options/adjustments through the games menu, not through a future firmware update?
ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#210 ShaneBeck
Member since 2005 • 10511 Posts
Buying a D-Link Wireless G router tomorrow!:D Fifty bucks Canadian.
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 cubedman990
Member since 2004 • 5354 Posts
Ok, well, my question is what exactly does the USB do?  I understand that if i only have dialup i cant use the ds online at home, but if i were to have dsl, would i still need a router if i had a usb?REVOLUTIONfreak
The USB device actually takes your computer's internet connection and turns it into a wireless signal the DS (and possibly Revolution) can use to connect to it to go online. No, if you have a USB adapter, then you won't need a router, at least for the DS. I would doubt that it would work as a standard wireless router for computers.
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 cubedman990
[QUOTE="Bartboy919"] i belevie you need it if you dont have a wireless router. exaple: Jimmy has a DS, MK: D S, and ultra fast FioS internet. but Jimmy doesnt have any sort of wireless connection to connect to his DS then he buy the USB wifi attachment and life is good for little jimmy

sp0inK

Maybe if Nintendo sets some kinda WiF site which you can acess via the DS or something.

I'm positive it's possible (like download play). [old rumor:]But it's also possible that Nintendo may sell memory cards in the form of a GBA Cartridge to keep downloaded games...[/old rumor]
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 cubedman990

Nintendo wifi set up revealed

{
show_notes_initially()
}" />

{
show_notes_initially()
}" />

{
show_notes_initially()
}" />

{
show_notes_initially()
}" />

{
show_notes_initially()
}" />

{
show_notes_initially()
}" />

once u have router/adapter this is how u will set up ur connection

http://www.flickr.com/photos/apreche/52551310/in/set-1139761/

Sinerster
Before I post it, I need a source. Who uploaded the pictures to flickr? How did they get the? Something like that. Thanks!
guisepppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 guisepppe
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts
Man this is great news :), I just bought a DS today and didnt know any of this. :D
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 sp0inK
Man this is great news :), I just bought a DS today and didnt know any of this. :D guisepppe

Congrats on your purchase :)
And if you ever need help with buying DS games/accesories, check out the DS Recommendation Thread as well.
ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 ShaneBeck

I need advice... should I get a router for 50 dollars that I can't take back if it doesn't work or get the Nintendo USB thingy? What are you doing? Will Nintendo make their own router?
Thanks in advance...

robertodaura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 robertodaura
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts
WOW man!! thanks a lot for that information i have clear a lot of things because of that information
TheMotive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 TheMotive
Member since 2004 • 1713 Posts
Will the adapter work like a regular wireless router in terms of how far you can be away from it with it still functioning?
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 cubedman990

I need advice... should I get a router for 50 dollars that I can't take back if it doesn't work or get the Nintendo USB thingy? What are you doing? Will Nintendo make their own router?
Thanks in advance...

ShaneBeck
Yes they are making a device for the DS to connect online without a router. Check out the first page for all the info!
guisepppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 guisepppe
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts
Will we able to do anything else with the DS besides play games ? I mean, theoretically couldn't the WiFi allow us to somehow download themes and such for the DS ? Then again I don't really know that much about the DS hardware, so I might be way off on this.
role_model4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#221 role_model4
Member since 2005 • 1359 Posts

This may be old but here's what the USB connector looks like...

Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector

Guitarfreak673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Guitarfreak673
Member since 2004 • 225 Posts
Wi-fi is gonna rule!
ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 ShaneBeck
[QUOTE="ShaneBeck"]

Thanks in advance...

cubedman990
Yes they are making a device for the DS to connect online without a router. Check out the first page for all the info!

:lol: Yeah I've read the first page I guess I just dindt see that part. Nintendo better send a picture soon...
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 cubedman990
Will we able to do anything else with the DS besides play games ? I mean, theoretically couldn't the WiFi allow us to somehow download themes and such for the DS ? Then again I don't really know that much about the DS hardware, so I might be way off on this. guisepppe
In theory, yes, that's possible. Firmware updates, including saving other content on a [heavily-rumored-but-not-confirmed-but-still-makes-sense] GBA Cartridge used as a Memory Card. Remember, the DS is the testing ground for the Revolution, and Nintendo usually listens to us consumers. So I'm sure they will do many things with the WiFi Connection besides enabling us to play games.
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 sp0inK
[QUOTE="sp0inK"][QUOTE="Barkclan"]

i read somewhere on the internet something about game invites. are there going to be game invites or am i going to have to call my friend to play with him? also about the buddy list thing, will I have a list for my DS or one for each of my games? will it say if they're online?

cubedman990

Nothing is known at the moment.

Yeah, Satoru Iwata guaranteed, however, that we will know all about the Nintendo WiFi Connection in October.

I'll be sure to update this thread ASA that happens!! ;)

You better spend more time on your thread once Mario Kart DS is out, it's gonna be real busy :P
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 cubedman990

This may be old but here's what the USB connector looks like...

Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector

role_model4

Thanks, I thought I had that in the first page...my stupidity. Now the whole world can see it here!

[QUOTE="cubedman990"]
[QUOTE="ShaneBeck"]
Thanks in advance...ShaneBeck

Yeah I've read the first page I guess I just dindt see that part. Nintendo better send a picture soon... 

:roll: Uuh....yeah....about that.... Read it again ;)

teej9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 teej9
Member since 2005 • 2681 Posts
will the usb thing work with dial up?????
ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 ShaneBeck

cubedman990
wtf? That thing is the router? I thought it was an adapter for people with dial-up.
teej9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 teej9
Member since 2005 • 2681 Posts
[QUOTE="cubedman990"]

ShaneBeck
wtf? That thing is the router? I thought it was an adapter for people with dial-up.

me too
ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 ShaneBeck
will the usb thing work with dial up?????teej9
Yep, but it will probably be slow...
ddrbenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 ddrbenny
Member since 2005 • 36 Posts
ok i didn't bother 2 read through all these pages cause there are so many but just in case people didn't know nintendo made a deal with mcdonalds where there will be nintendo wifi hotspots in every restraunt this is awsome for me cause i hav a mcdonalds really close 2 my house i got this at nintendo.com
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 sp0inK
ok i didn't bother 2 read through all these pages cause there are so many but just in case people didn't know nintendo made a deal with mcdonalds where there will be nintendo wifi hotspots in every restraunt this is awsome for me cause i hav a mcdonalds really close 2 my house i got this at nintendo.comddrbenny

Old :o
YuriaTayde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#233 YuriaTayde
Member since 2004 • 268 Posts

*twitch twitch* .... *twitch*....... OMG!!! This could meen MMORPGs on a gameboy?! I'm getting one, this is the final shove that's gunna talk me into getting a DS, just the POSSABILITY of that will be worth it! My mind is already swimming with the possabilities...

*daydream sequence begins with waving screen and unoriginal fadeout*
[1:20pm]
Me: Time to get ready for work, but first! *pops open DS* Hmmm. my castle is still doing fine, better buy a few more archers though just to be sure. *spend spend*
[4:42pm]
Me: (at work) *pops open DS* Omg! I've been robbed! *hires assassins to hunt down whoever did this to her before returning from break*
[8:11pm] (at home) *types on computer, blink blinks* oh yeah, *pops open DS* Heheh, that'll teach 'em...

sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 sp0inK

*twitch twitch* .... *twitch*....... OMG!!! This could meen MMORPGs on a gameboy?! I'm getting one, this is the final shove that's gunna talk me into getting a DS, just the POSSABILITY of that will be worth it! My mind is already swimming with the possabilities...

*daydream sequence begins with waving screen and unoriginal fadeout*
[1:20pm]
Me: Time to get ready for work, but first! *pops open DS* Hmmm. my castle is still doing fine, better buy a few more archers though just to be sure. *spend spend*
[4:42pm]
Me: (at work) *pops open DS* Omg! I've been robbed! *hires assassins to hunt down whoever did this to her before returning from break*
[8:11pm] (at home) *types on computer, blink blinks* oh yeah, *pops open DS* Heheh, that'll teach 'em...

YuriaTayde

Well, the DS isn't a Gameboy, don't get them mixed up.

[9.27pm] (at home) *sp0inK has pwned your Castle*
tessmctessy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 tessmctessy
Member since 2005 • 218 Posts
OK, this kind of bothers me.  I'm sorry if this is old, but I read this, and I just can't believe how bad this is...  I hope it's wrong.  Anyway, I went to the Wayport site to read about their deal with Nintendo and McDonalds, to see how it works, and it was the pretty standard information I've read other places, but then towards the end I read this:

"Finally, Nintendo DS owners who want to play games at Wi-Fi locations outside McDonald's or their home can use a laptop computer and the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector to access Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector enables the Nintendo DS to share an Internet connection established by a PC, providing a conduit to play games via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection."

You can read the full article here:

http://www.wayport.com/press/212

So... if we want to play away from home anywhere other than mcdonalds, we have to bring a laptop with us?  Is that only pay places like Starbucks?  Because if this is even free wifi hotspots, what's even the point?

sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 sp0inK
OK, this kind of bothers me.  I'm sorry if this is old, but I read this, and I just can't believe how bad this is...  I hope it's wrong.  Anyway, I went to the Wayport site to read about their deal with Nintendo and McDonalds, to see how it works, and it was the pretty standard information I've read other places, but then towards the end I read this:

"Finally, Nintendo DS owners who want to play games at Wi-Fi locations outside McDonald's or their home can use a laptop computer and the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector to access Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector enables the Nintendo DS to share an Internet connection established by a PC, providing a conduit to play games via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection."

You can read the full article here:

http://www.wayport.com/press/212

So... if we want to play away from home anywhere other than mcdonalds, we have to bring a laptop with us?  Is that only pay places like Starbucks?  Because if this is even free wifi hotspots, what's even the point?

tessmctessy

Like, of course you do.
In other words, if you want to play your DS online, BUY A FREAKIN' ROUTER/NINTENDO Wi-Fi USB DEVICE.
or play at McDonalds :lol:
tessmctessy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 tessmctessy

Like, of course you do.
In other words, if you want to play your DS online, BUY A FREAKIN' ROUTER/NINTENDO Wi-Fi USB DEVICE.
or play at McDonalds :lol:sp0inK

Well, for one thing, I don't eat at McDonalds.  I fully respect Nintendo for getting a deal to help out its customers have a definite place to play, but this is just limiting.  My city has many places with free wifi available, I work at one.  But can I just turn on my DS during my break where WiFi is available?  No... I would need to go out and buy a laptop.  Why even bother?  It's not so much mobility, it's home or Mcdonald's.  Wonderful.
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 sp0inK
[QUOTE="sp0inK"]
Like, of course you do.
or play at McDonalds :lol:tessmctessy

Well, for one thing, I don't eat at McDonalds.  I fully respect Nintendo for getting a deal to help out its customers have a definite place to play, but this is just limiting.  My city has many places with free wifi available, I work at one.  But can I just turn on my DS during my break where WiFi is available?  No... I would need to go out and buy a laptop.  Why even bother?  It's not so much mobility, it's home or Mcdonald's.  Wonderful.

You DO realize that the DS can connect online via wireless routers as well right?
The USB device is just an altnernative method for those who don't have wireless routers.
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 cubedman990
[QUOTE="tessmctessy"] [QUOTE="sp0inK"]
Like, of course you do.

You DO realize that the DS can connect online via wireless routers as well right?
The USB device is just an altnernative method for those who don't have wireless routers.

Thanks for explaining that to me...I didn't understand what they meant with that buying a laptop. I'll go clarify that upi and I think I will need to add the Mickey-D's deal too :roll:
DanxNad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 DanxNad
Member since 2005 • 929 Posts
hey, where do you plug that DS adapter thingie? On the recharger port?
AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#241 AlexandriaZ
Member since 2002 • 25107 Posts
I am still peeved that it can't be WPA encrypted.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf52f06a2581
deactivated-5cf52f06a2581

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 deactivated-5cf52f06a2581
Member since 2003 • 237 Posts
hey, where do you plug that DS adapter thingie? On the recharger port?DanxNad

No. You put it in a USB port on your computer.
DanxNad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 DanxNad
Member since 2005 • 929 Posts
[QUOTE="DanxNad"]hey, where do you plug that DS adapter thingie? On the recharger port?thecreepingmess

No. You put it in a USB port on your computer.

ohh alright I get it
usb, wow im such an idiot
tessmctessy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 tessmctessy
[QUOTE="tessmctessy"] [QUOTE="sp0inK"]
Like, of course you do.

Well, for one thing, I don't eat at McDonalds. I fully respect Nintendo for getting a deal to help out its customers have a definite place to play, but this is just limiting. My city has many places with free wifi available, I work at one. But can I just turn on my DS during my break where WiFi is available? No... I would need to go out and buy a laptop. Why even bother? It's not so much mobility, it's home or Mcdonald's. Wonderful.

Yes, I do know that, BUT if you read what I had originally posted, you'd see, that the article which is ALSO at Nintendo.com stated that if you wanted to play at other places aside from your home and mcdonalds that offer a wifi hotspot, you will need to use a laptop with the USB connector to play. It can't get much clearer than that. Here, go read the whole thing. Here is the address.

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=ZRzLtQZgFZiOvHfsAvXKUDxYUloypXJv&page=newsmain

That is what I am worried about.
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 sp0inK
hey, where do you plug that DS adapter thingie? On the recharger port?DanxNad

Its a USB device, go figure.
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 cubedman990
[QUOTE="sp0inK"][QUOTE="tessmctessy"] [QUOTE="sp0inK"]
Like, of course you do.
or play at McDonalds :lol:tessmctessy

Well, for one thing, I don't eat at McDonalds. I fully respect Nintendo for getting a deal to help out its customers have a definite place to play, but this is just limiting. My city has many places with free wifi available, I work at one. But can I just turn on my DS during my break where WiFi is available? No... I would need to go out and buy a laptop. Why even bother? It's not so much mobility, it's home or Mcdonald's. Wonderful.

Yes, I do know that, BUT if you read what I had originally posted, you'd see, that the article which is ALSO at Nintendo.com stated that if you wanted to play at other places aside from your home and mcdonalds that offer a wifi hotspot, you will need to use a laptop with the USB connector to play. It can't get much clearer than that. Here, go read the whole thing. Here is the address.

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=ZRzLtQZgFZiOvHfsAvXKUDxYUloypXJv&page=newsmain

Hmm. That sucks. I'll contact Nintendo for further clarification... Because what's the difference from a home WiFi -enabled network and one in a store or hotel? There can't be much...
matthew_senn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 matthew_senn
Member since 2003 • 2350 Posts

[QUOTE="tessmctessy"] [QUOTE="sp0inK"][QUOTE="tessmctessy"] [QUOTE="sp0inK"]
Like, of course you do.
or play at McDonalds :lol:cubedman990

Hmm. That sucks. I'll contact Nintendo for further clarification... Because what's the difference from a home WiFi -enabled network and one in a store or hotel? There can't be much...

Well I'm a bit of a techie (not a big one, but i know my way around a pc) and I seriously doubt that you would not be able to connect to wireless routers.  They just don't work like that.  If a DS can connect to Nintendo's USB device then by all rights, it should be able to connect to the previously specified routers.  The only exceptions would be if the router had disabled its signal that let everyone connect to it and only specific machines could connect to it, and maybe if Nintendo made the USB device give off a signal that current routers didn't and Nintendo's USB device would be the only thing that the DS could connect to.
You see, simply because it is USB means nothing.  It being USB only implies that connects to the USB on a computer.  I've seen very many USB devices ranging from mice to coffee warmers to memory cards to wireless routers.
And eventually, if Nintendo did design the USB device so that the DS would connect only to it, some tech junkie would take it apart, build a normal wireless router (adding this signal), manufacture mass quantities, and sell it.

xerrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 xerrak
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

does the deal with madconalds hotspots include canada? i read an article on nintendo.com and they only mentioned the U.S.

ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 ShaneBeck

does the deal with madconalds hotspots include canada? i read an article on nintendo.com and they only mentioned the U.S.

xerrak
Yeah I'd like to know too. Go Canada!