--Nintendo WiFi Connection FAQ & Info-- *GAMES, help, routers, more!*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rodg7790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#101 Rodg7790
Member since 2004 • 10355 Posts
imma bit out of it right now, but are there veen any online games yet?
Freakish_beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Freakish_beast
Member since 2004 • 266 Posts
I have a wired router. I do not wanna go wireless because it will be a pain installing it, very expensive especially if i have more than 1 computer and i will have to buy Network cards for each computer. Do you know if there is an adpater for wired routers to get online with the DS? if there is no choice i guess i'll have to go wireless....:(
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 cubedman990
Member since 2004 • 5354 Posts
I know this sounds very stupid, but I have a connection through an ethernet cord and not usb... does that matter for the wireless router? Also, I see lots of routers in ads and stuff, and does it really matter what router you get? Can I just go and buy one... or do I have to buy a specific one according to my ISP or something? I read the first page, and I don't know what ADSL is, so not sure if I have that. I am kind of confused on the whole router thing.:(
RoyalAssassin78
The only guideline that everyone needs is that the router must be 802.11b or 802.11g compatible. This will be shown on the webpage, the box, etc.
Avatar image for RoyalAssassin78
RoyalAssassin78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#104 RoyalAssassin78
Member since 2005 • 4675 Posts
[QUOTE="RoyalAssassin78"]I know this sounds very stupid, but I have a connection through an ethernet cord and not usb... does that matter for the wireless router? Also, I see lots of routers in ads and stuff, and does it really matter what router you get? Can I just go and buy one... or do I have to buy a specific one according to my ISP or something? I read the first page, and I don't know what ADSL is, so not sure if I have that. I am kind of confused on the whole router thing.:(
cubedman990
The only guideline that everyone needs is that the router must be 802.11b or 802.11g compatible. This will be shown on the webpage, the box, etc.

Thank you. You have simplified things.
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 cubedman990

imma bit out of it right now, but are there veen any online games yet?Rodg7790
Nope, the first one out will be Mario Kart DS, which launches sometime in November.

I have a wired router. I do not wanna go wireless because it will be a pain installing it, very expensive especially if i have more than 1 computer and i will have to buy Network cards for each computer. Do you know if there is an adpater for wired routers to get online with the DS? if there is no choice i guess i'll have to go wireless....:(Freakish_beast
Sorry, there is nothing I know of like this.

Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
how many ghz does your router have to be
matthew_senn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 matthew_senn
Member since 2003 • 2350 Posts
how many ghz does your router have to beBig_player
ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#108 ShaneBeck
Member since 2005 • 10511 Posts
Well, I finally get my high speed internet tomorrow. I'll be checking everything as soon as i get it..
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 sp0inK
Member since 2005 • 18755 Posts
how many ghz does your router have to beBig_player

Any 802.11G/B router will do fine.
Avatar image for StreetFighter01
StreetFighter01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#110 StreetFighter01
Member since 2005 • 3379 Posts

imma bit out of it right now, but are there veen any online games yet?Rodg7790

None, but Mario Kart is own its way.

sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 sp0inK

[QUOTE="Rodg7790"]imma bit out of it right now, but are there veen any online games yet?StreetFighter01

None, but Mario Kart is own its way.

..in November
BoNeMaRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 BoNeMaRo
Member since 2005 • 237 Posts

Does anyone know if a Japanese DS would work normally on Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection here in the US?

cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 cubedman990

Does anyone know if a Japanese DS would work normally on Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection here in the US?

BoNeMaRo
I'm assuming it can, because the Nintendo WiFi Connection is a global network.
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 sp0inK

BoNeMaRo

Yes, DSs are all region free.
teej9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 teej9
Member since 2005 • 2681 Posts
will a netgear 802.11g router work
matthew_senn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 matthew_senn
will a netgear 802.11g router workteej9
Absolutely.
teej9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 teej9
will we need passwords for getting online for animal crossing wild world
matthew_senn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 matthew_senn
will we need passwords for getting online for animal crossing wild worldteej9
I'm fairly certain that you won't have to remember any passwords, but the DS will. In other words, you don't have to worry. I think.
Hydro_Dynamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Hydro_Dynamo
Member since 2005 • 4838 Posts

"Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has confirmed that the upcoming Revolution console will have the ability to download demos for the Nintendo DS... and then transfer them wirelessly onto your handheld!

More details are expected in October, when Iwata has promised the lid will be blown off the mysterious Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, ahead of such launches as Mario Kart DS, Tony Hawks American Sk8land and Animal Crossing: Wild World - all of which support the online service."

8)

teej9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 teej9

is a ds signal picker uppers range equivelent to a laptops

(my friend lives 6 houses a way and can use his laptop to go online from my router)

jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#121 jfkunrendered
Member since 2005 • 8298 Posts
Oh I just cant wait to play Mariokart online. I own all.
teej9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 teej9

(my friend lives 6 houses a way and can use his laptop to go online from my router)

teej9
jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#124 jfkunrendered
Member since 2005 • 8298 Posts

WWWWWoooooooooooo

Nintendo DS wi-fi

matthew_senn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 matthew_senn

teej9
It won't be able to reach that far. Maybe your next door neighbor could hijack your router, but not your friend. A laptop has more firepower than a DS.
Zeldas_Destiny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Zeldas_Destiny
Member since 2005 • 515 Posts

well i dont know if anyone asked but since i'm new here i wanted to know...up to how many ppl can play in mulitplayer on Mario Kart DS? is it going to be 4 or more since there is Wi-Fi

12qazx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 12qazx
Member since 2005 • 1435 Posts
What Wireless G router do you guys recommened for the DS and other online gaming?
StreetFighter01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 StreetFighter01

Oh I just cant wait to play Mariokart online. I own all.jfkunrendered

:roll:

cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 cubedman990

teej9
The DS's local RF signal reaches anywhere up to 100 feet, depending on the situation: obstacles, cell phone interference, other interference, etc.
cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 cubedman990

well i dont know if anyone asked but since i'm new here i wanted to know...up to how many ppl can play in mulitplayer on Mario Kart DS? is it going to be 4 or more since there is Wi-Fi

Zeldas_Destiny

It's 1 to eight players, online or off.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/driving/mariokartds/index.html

cubedman990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 cubedman990
Oh I just cant wait to play Mariokart online. I own all.jfkunrendered
That's what you think....8)
stiker71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#132 stiker71
Member since 2005 • 4737 Posts

[QUOTE="jfkunrendered"]Oh I just cant wait to play Mariokart online. I own all.cubedman990

and u can be on the list of owning right affter the 672 thats aqlreaddy there (spoinks going down first)

sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 sp0inK

[QUOTE="cubedman990"][QUOTE="jfkunrendered"]Oh I just cant wait to play Mariokart online. I own all.stiker71

and u can be on the list of owning right affter the 672 thats aqlreaddy there (spoinks going down first)

:o

Mastachief2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#134 Mastachief2552
Member since 2004 • 1903 Posts
i dont know if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know if the ds is capiable of a firmware update like the psp?i love being able to browse on the psp but ds with internet would be cool, to use the touch screen as a mouse or something like that
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 sp0inK

i dont know if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know if the ds is capiable of a firmware update like the psp?i love being able to browse on the psp but ds with internet would be cool, to use the touch screen as a mouse or something like thatMastachief2552

At the moment.. No.

But maybe there'll be wireless DS booths the the future where we'll be able to download game demos.. patches etc.
Japan already has this going on btw.

StreetFighter01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 StreetFighter01
[QUOTE="stiker71"]

[QUOTE="cubedman990"][QUOTE="jfkunrendered"]Oh I just cant wait to play Mariokart online. I own all.sp0inK

:o

I'm taking everyone down even myself. :shock:

-WhiteSnake-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 -WhiteSnake-
Member since 2005 • 3870 Posts
Wow, so the ds online is free...and you don't have to hook up the router or anything to your phoneline or computer?
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#138 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

Wow, so the ds online is free...and you don't have to hook up the router or anything to your phoneline or computer?-WhiteSnake-
Someone sounds excited about the DS, despite not being the owner of one. :P

To answer your question, DS online will be free of charge, HOWEVER it's only for Nintendo made games, and Developers who choose NOT to charge. This means that 3rd party developers like Capcom, Konami, etc can charge for online game use on the DS, if they have you using THEIR servers. It's kind of like the PS2's online service. However Nintendo has made hints, that this one will be a lot better.

Also, I digress, back to your other question, you DO need a wireless router. In order for the DS to go online it needs to hook up to a hotspot, which can be found in homes, coffee shops, airports, and other places. This is what will enable your DS to go online, but you don't connect it with wires or anything. This is WIRELESS. So as long as you are in range, you will be just fine.

-WhiteSnake-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 -WhiteSnake-

[QUOTE="-WhiteSnake-"]Wow, so the ds online is free...and you don't have to hook up the router or anything to your phoneline or computer?yoshi_64

To answer your question, DS online will be free of charge, HOWEVER it's only for Nintendo made games, and Developers who choose NOT to charge. This means that 3rd party developers like Capcom, Konami, etc can charge for online game use on the DS, if they have you using THEIR servers. It's kind of like the PS2's online service. However Nintendo has made hints, that this one will be a lot better.

Also, I digress, back to your other question, you DO need a wireless router. In order for the DS to go online it needs to hook up to a hotspot, which can be found in homes, coffee shops, airports, and other places. This is what will enable your DS to go online, but you don't connect it with wires or anything. This is WIRELESS. So as long as you are in range, you will be just fine.

Can't wait intill next week
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 yoshi_64
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]

[QUOTE="-WhiteSnake-"]Wow, so the ds online is free...and you don't have to hook up the router or anything to your phoneline or computer?-WhiteSnake-

Can't wait intill next week

lol, enjoy. I'm sure you'll love it. Just make sure you look at the recommendation thread that's floated on the top, to see what games are coming out, and what kind of games could interest you.
ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#141 ShaneBeck
Member since 2005 • 10511 Posts

[QUOTE="Mastachief2552"]i dont know if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know if the ds is capiable of a firmware update like the psp?i love being able to browse on the psp but ds with internet would be cool, to use the touch screen as a mouse or something like thatsp0inK

At the moment.. No.

But maybe there'll be wireless DS booths the the future where we'll be able to download game demos.. patches etc.
Japan already has this going on btw.

I hear you can download DS demos onto your DS via the revolution.
-WhiteSnake-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 -WhiteSnake-
I have one last question, I remember my friend mentioning that you could download other games onto your ds from someone elses...? is this true?
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 yoshi_64

I have one last question, I remember my friend mentioning that you could download other games onto your ds from someone elses...? is this true?-WhiteSnake-
DS has what's called "Download Play". Your friend is right, you can download demos, onto your DS, or if you live in Japan, you could use the Download Service, which let you play demos, donwload content, patches, etc...however you don't and most of us here dont..:( I have no clue if Nintendo will even bother bringing it here, for now, because Japan is a much smaller country, where the US and other parts of the world are much larger.

Well it's a good thing still, because you can play multiplayer on DS games, with one game pak, and it offers more options, than the GBA did. It depends on the game,however Meteos, Bomberman DS and Advance Wars DS, are some of the best multiplayer games so far. IMO.

-WhiteSnake-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 -WhiteSnake-

[QUOTE="-WhiteSnake-"]I have one last question, I remember my friend mentioning that you could download other games onto your ds from someone elses...? is this true?yoshi_64

DS has what's called "Download Play". Your friend is right, you can download demos, onto your DS, or if you live in Japan, you could use the Download Service, which let you play demos, donwload content, patches, etc...however you don't and most of us here dont..:( I have no clue if Nintendo will even bother bringing it here, for now, because Japan is a much smaller country, where the US and other parts of the world are much larger.

Well it's a good thing still, because you can play multiplayer on DS games, with one game pak, and it offers more options, than the GBA did. It depends on the game,however Meteos, Bomberman DS and Advance Wars DS, are some of the best multiplayer games so far. IMO.

Thats cool how many demos can you store?
andrewrivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 andrewrivas
Member since 2004 • 2737 Posts
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]

[QUOTE="-WhiteSnake-"]I have one last question, I remember my friend mentioning that you could download other games onto your ds from someone elses...? is this true?-WhiteSnake-

You cant store them, their temporary
matthew_senn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 matthew_senn
[QUOTE="-WhiteSnake-"][QUOTE="yoshi_64"]

[QUOTE="-WhiteSnake-"]I have one last question, I remember my friend mentioning that you could download other games onto your ds from someone elses...? is this true?andrewrivas

You cant store them, their temporary

The DS has 4 KB of RAM built in, so unless they want to release an actually hardware expansion in the form of a GBA cart, I just don't see it happening kid. Don't think GBA expansion paks aren't being thought through though. Daigasso! Band Brothers has a song expansion pak in the form of a GBA cart. Metroid Prime Pinball won't be completely worthless because it will have a rumble pak built in. I don't see extra RAM being built for the DS, but who knows.
davwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 davwade
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

hi

this is david I want to know if there is going to be a usb cord for the nintendo ds wi-fi. Also how much is the router. Also do you know any links about a usb. Thanks also will there be a possibilty that metroid prime hunters will be pushed up.

sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 sp0inK

hi

this is david I want to know if there is going to be a usb cord for the nintendo ds wi-fi. Also how much is the router. Also do you know any links about a usb. Thanks also will there be a possibilty that metroid prime hunters will be pushed up.

davwade

I don't think you've read the first page yet..

sarconi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 sarconi
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts
hello all i was wondering if youre pc has to be up to scratch becuse my pc is not of this generation
dont laugh at this guys iam getting a new one at xmas but i have
900mhz amd athlon
496mb of ram
and a 1mb internet connection

can i use a wirless routour??
sp0inK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 sp0inK
hello all i was wondering if youre pc has to be up to scratch becuse my pc is not of this generation
dont laugh at this guys iam getting a new one at xmas but i have
900mhz amd athlon
496mb of ram
and a 1mb internet connection

can i use a wirless routour??
sarconi

Your PC specs have nothing to do with the router.
Just make sure that your mobo has an ethernet cable slot so that you can configure your network.