Lesbian gets banned from Xbox Live

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jarvis008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#201 jarvis008
Member since 2008 • 518 Posts

I feel sorry for the girl, she shouldn't have to put up with crap like this from morons. At the same time, she should have realised that Xbox live is full of ignorant immature idiots and that something like this was bound to happen. I'm in no way condoning the actions of the people who harrassed her though, they are scum.

violent_spinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 violent_spinal
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts
If she was dumb enough to put that in her Bio, then she deserves it. Seriously, the majority of us don't put our sexual orientation in there, do we?Aaron89

I've seen profiles talking about their girlfriend.
Would this count?

While not going straight out, and saying, "I'M STRAIGHT, AND LOVE VAGINA ", it's indirectly saying the person is hetero.

Even after typing this, I think it's ridiculous.
Most people wouldn't find the above offensive at all.

But, if another lesbian had read her profile, she probably wouldn't have found that offensive either.
I really wish I knew what what said in her Bio, and how expressive it was. Simply stating you're a lesbian, or that she had a girlfriend, that is not a good reason to get banned. But, if she was going into sexual detail, then that would be reason enough. If it was the latter, I'm not surprised given the immaturity of XBox LIVE.

Why do people look at profiles?
I find it's either if they had a good game with you, or you bested them in the game. And, with her being female, they were probably going to mess with her anyways. It's pretty much a double, no...triple edged sword in her case. Gay , Female, and probably better than the people she was playing with.

The only way she could appease XBox LIVE, is to have her profile set to friends only, and not wear a mic, unless in a party.
It's kind of sad when it has to come to that.
twobad4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#203 twobad4u
Member since 2008 • 227 Posts
Wow ,nothing gathers a crowd more than to mention the word Lesbian or gay More people talk and debate about the state of homosexuality than war or politics.. It's silly nonsense.Being gay shouldn't be a factor for anything . Let people live.
JASM_600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 JASM_600
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Thats human beings for you. In my opinion Humans as a race fail so misserably its crazy.The entire world is going to **** and its humans fault. I mean look there is so much going on in the world and you still have idiots that are harassing gay people. I mean come on people if you are a homophobe you really need to get out more and quit being an ignorant fool. This just shows the pathetic nature of most of the human race.
Skullcandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#205 Skullcandy
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts

While I believe she SHOULD have the right to express her sexual orientation, it states plane as day in the Terms of Use that it's not allowed in ANY way.

It's just M$ covering their own a$$.

It's getting the proper attention it needs though. Hopefully ignorance caused by the lack of education people suffer from will one day be a thing of the past.

Xternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#206 Xternal
Member since 2005 • 530 Posts
[QUOTE="cupcake_JR"]What the hell? who goes around saying "oh by the way, im lesbian." on xbox live and doesn't expect any negative replies? just sounds stupid to me.hawaiiinsomniac
You just don't get it... That's the sad part about all of this... if someone says "I'm a lesbian" or "I am gay or "I am black" or "I am asian" or "I am Indian" it shouldn't be a big deal. The fact that people still have a stigma about minorities in every way shape or form is sad...

I agree :)
Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Unassigned
Member since 2004 • 1970 Posts
[QUOTE="cupcake_JR"]What the hell? who goes around saying "oh by the way, im lesbian." on xbox live and doesn't expect any negative replies? just sounds stupid to me.hawaiiinsomniac
You just don't get it... That's the sad part about all of this... if someone says "I'm a lesbian" or "I am gay or "I am black" or "I am asian" or "I am Indian" it shouldn't be a big deal. The fact that people still have a stigma about minorities in every way shape or form is sad...

The question is not WHAT she posted but WHY she felt she needed to post it. Would you walk into a public building like a library, church or town office and announce to everyone "I like it doggy style"? No, because it's not appropriate to subject others to your sexual preference and you would most likely be asked to leave. Freedom of speech is fine but be prepared to pay the price if you offend others with information they don't need or want. Not everyone in this country are sheep to the government, most of us have our own minds and can form our own opinions. We don't need the governemt telling us what we should accept or not. Remember, it's not called a "phobia" it's called an "opinion".
xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Well if the whole story was there it would probably say something like girl gets banned from live because she inappropriatly talked about sexual acts with other women on live and it offened the super conservative people on live. I for one wouldn't care but the rules are the rules don't break them and you wont get banned people go on live to play games not have people they like to have sex with this sex or that, to hear racial slurs, or offensive profanity.

Wow, I hate that I just sounded like a douche that gets all bent out of shape about stupid things like that sorry I am definatly not like that nor do I care that people do that on live but some people do and they don't want to hear it. So people get banned, just like someone could get banned for talking about how much they love God, or if they were athiest it's all covered if you offend either way you get banned.

megahaloman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#209 megahaloman64
Member since 2006 • 2532 Posts
Thats rediculious, and being the person that i am, I can not stand for this censorship. It's not like someone would get banned for putting their strait. I say we boycott ms untill she gets an apology.
xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 xxyetixx

Thats human beings for you. In my opinion Humans as a race fail so misserably its crazy.The entire world is going to **** and its humans fault. I mean look there is so much going on in the world and you still have idiots that are harassing gay people. I mean come on people if you are a homophobe you really need to get out more and quit being an ignorant fool. This just shows the pathetic nature of most of the human race. JASM_600

LOL according to your logic your post fails being posted by a human and all.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 xxyetixx

Thats rediculious, and being the person that i am, I can not stand for this censorship. It's not like someone would get banned for putting their strait. I say we boycott ms untill she gets an apology.megahaloman64

Yes they would it's in the terms of service MS doesn't want anyone putting their sexual orientation in their profile if someone would complain MS would either delete the comment or ban the person if the problem persisted.

Also this girls gamertag was probably banned not her system since her gamertag was probably generating so much buzz she probably can make up another one and follow the rules and not get that gamertag banned. Its just someone wanting to get attention and get their payday and that is what wrong with people everyone just wants to get payed for nothing. Quit looking for the easy out in life and you'll be happier.

megahaloman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 megahaloman64
Member since 2006 • 2532 Posts
Btw, the gt that got banned was someone elses. If MS thinks this is inapropriate, then maybe they should put an age requirement for live.
ufcfan1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 ufcfan1987
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts
they must have found out that she had a mullet and a flannel jacket with the sleeves cut off. thst intimidating if your playing someone. in all seriousness though. my boss is a lesbian and i could care less dude it doesnt bother me. to each his or her own.
WardCleaver02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 WardCleaver02
Member since 2007 • 1559 Posts

Ummm... well first of all to all of you that believe that this is not fair, you must not have read the fine print in the xbox360 terms and conditions.. It states that there cannot be anything offensive, rude, etc. in your gamertag. And it also says Microsoft is the final judge of what is and isn't offensive. #2. No where in the article did they say what her gamertag was, which I find a little odd. All of you are supporting a name that you have no clue what it is.. Microsoft has a list words that CANNOT be used anywhere in the gamertag and she probably violated this.. #3 Microsoft DID NOT KICK HER OFF FOR BEING GAY they kicked her off for the gamertag she used. Some of you need to learn to read accurately and with understanding. All she has to do is create a new one and problem solved.. NOT A BIG DEAL.. I don't feel like I have to express the fact that i'm straight in my gamertag. Why does she feel the NEED to express she is gay And evidently she doesn't have the right to either.sourcerah

Judging by some of the posts made after yours, no one has bothered reading your post, which is spot on.

Supertramp20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Supertramp20
Member since 2008 • 350 Posts
im seriously considering swithching to ps3 because of these incidents like getiing banned just because of what sex your atracted to
l337_A55A55IN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 l337_A55A55IN
Member since 2009 • 56 Posts
it was wrong for microsoft to ban her, but what i dont understand is that if she hates being made fun of for being a lesbain, why would she put that she was a lesbian in her gamertag/gamer profile? doesnt make sense to me.
InjuredNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#217 InjuredNoodle
Member since 2006 • 1077 Posts
They shouldn't ban her, just make her edit her profile. Nobody goes around saying hey I'm heterosexual! or bi or I like animals!! We have to remember there are children playing these games and some parents would not like to see some of this stuff. XBOX Live is not Myspace or facebook, thank God! .
skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#219 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts
This seriously seems like a sick joke. I mean honestly, in what mindset is Microsoft in the right by saying that someone's sexual orientation is offensive to others in the online community? This is quite atrocious and is actually infringing on that girl's rights. I'm surprised this isn't making bigger news
InjuredNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 InjuredNoodle
Terms of Service violation, topic closed. .
soshootme77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 soshootme77
Member since 2003 • 48 Posts
Honestly, the woman should sue. Unless of course, its some 17 year old chick or younger. At 18 you're considered an adult in this country, and that is when your "sexual orientation" can be taken seriously, and most of the times it won't be until you're a woman 25 years of age or older. So, if she is an "Adult", she should go ahead and sue, and she would win, and Microsoft would need to make certain changes. It IS discrimination. As for adults wanting to "shield" their children from things of that nature, don't allow them to play online, the online community is absolutely offensive, no matter what video game your playing almost. There is no stopping ignorant people hopping online and using all sorts of offensive language. Being gay whether your a man or a woman, is perfectly fine, there is nothing wrong with it. You'll still be a MAN, you'll still be a WOMAN. All that changes is to who you're attracted to, and punishing someone for writing out their sexual orientation is ridiculous. That policy needs to either change or be taken out.
InjuredNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 InjuredNoodle
5. How You May Not Use the Service. In using the Service, you may not:Create a Gamertag , avatar or use text in other profile fields that may offend other members. This includes comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate or relate to any of the following: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities; What part of this do you not understand. It's a private service and they have every right to run it like they want.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#223 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

So, if she is an "Adult", she should go ahead and sue, and she would win, and Microsoft would need to make certain changes. It IS discrimination.

soshootme77

This has already been discussed in the thread. First off, fellow Deus Ex fan, you don't know exactly why she was banned. If she had explicit material in her bio, she should be penalized, just like anyone else. Secondly, what makes you think she would win a lawsuit? Aside from Microsoft's vast legal team, there's also the principle of the thing. I know this is a shock to a lot of people, but private organizations are allowed to discriminate in their membership, on whatever grounds they choose. Examples: Girls' colleges, veterans' clubs, your local church.

DK_Razgriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 DK_Razgriz
Member since 2008 • 96 Posts

[QUOTE="sourcerah"]Ummm... well first of all to all of you that believe that this is not fair, you must not have read the fine print in the xbox360 terms and conditions.. It states that there cannot be anything offensive, rude, etc. in your gamertag. And it also says Microsoft is the final judge of what is and isn't offensive. #2. No where in the article did they say what her gamertag was, which I find a little odd. All of you are supporting a name that you have no clue what it is.. Microsoft has a list words that CANNOT be used anywhere in the gamertag and she probably violated this.. #3 Microsoft DID NOT KICK HER OFF FOR BEING GAY they kicked her off for the gamertag she used. Some of you need to learn to read accurately and with understanding. All she has to do is create a new one and problem solved.. NOT A BIG DEAL.. I don't feel like I have to express the fact that i'm straight in my gamertag. Why does she feel the NEED to express she is gay And evidently she doesn't have the right to either.WardCleaver02

Judging by some of the posts made after yours, no one has bothered reading your post, which is spot on.

People are quick to jump to the defence of an apparent innocent, esp if it means they fit in with their peers. By this i mean, yes, i agree, poor girl. Descrimintion of any form is terrible and above all, immature. However, see quote above...

6555fdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 6555fdv
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
omg she should be allowed to bee online:)
therapyhiccup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 therapyhiccup
Member since 2005 • 1800 Posts
how are the words gay and lesbian offensive...?what's next, banning people based on their religion? cuz some people are offended by other ideals.*rolls eyes at world*
RobNBankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 RobNBankz
Member since 2008 • 483 Posts

There was no reason to say that she was lesbian anyway. I don't put in my bio that i'm straight, it's Xbox Live, not E-Harmony.

However, doesn't mean MS was right but there's a rep system and once you get a certain number of negative reps, you get suspended/banned. It's not like they played a game with her and looked at her bio and saw she was lesbian and banned her.

Today I received a message from another gamer calling me a **** I am a lesbian, so they aren't too smart if they cant get their anti-gayslurs right.

^^ Lulz.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 xxyetixx

5. How You May Not Use the Service. In using the Service, you may not:Create a Gamertag , avatar or use text in other profile fields that may offend other members. This includes comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate or relate to any of the following: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities; What part of this do you not understand. It's a private service and they have every right to run it like they want.InjuredNoodle

There everyone goes the rule right there. If you come across anyone doing any of these things you can file a complaint against them and MS will take care of it i.e. deleting gamertags, messages or whatever. This person did not get kicked off LIVE for ever they just need to change/create a new gamertag and follow the rules. Also there are a lot of people with things in their profiles and gamertag that breaks the rules but some people are more tolerant of certain things or this person came across someone that they upset if you want LIVE to be equal across the board file a complaint about everything you see on LIVE that breaks this rule. I wonder how many gamertags are something 420 there would be a lot of people changing tags if people complained about everything

DK_Razgriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 DK_Razgriz

how are the words gay and lesbian offensive...?what's next, banning people based on their religion? cuz some people are offended by other ideals.*rolls eyes at world*therapyhiccup

Ain't that the truth. Trouble is, these days, pretty much anything can be seen as offensive. All it takes is for someone to say that they're offended... maybe i'll complain to MS because i feel that my "virtual me" is not a true representation of myself because the options are limted... therefore i'm offended. I know how stupid that sounds but it really seems like the way things are going. Dam this PC culture... i may as well complain about milk because it's white and i'm white so when i see it on my doorstep i feel it mocking me for being short and white.... jeeze... a step too far

SHplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 SHplayer
Actually Microsoft should just have them take the post down. Come on kids are on xbox live and do we want little Jane or Billy asking,"Dad, what is a Lesbian?" We don't want our kids or anybody else kids to see that.
DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#231 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts

Well, first off having the word gay in your gamer tag is kinda of inappropriate. Just like having any other sex related term. I doubt we're getting the full story here. Regardless why would this person be going around talking about their sexual orientation anyway? It is inappropriate. We'll never probably get a proper story. This is just going to be over blown and everyone will think of it as prejudice. Only looking at this in one angle.vashkey
No it's not. It's inappropiate when people say the word, acting as if it is a offensive word.

And btw i do agree that we are not hearing the whole story and do not know what was actually writen on it. And i do not know why she would have that in her tag, but whatever.

But i do think that most of xbox live community is filled with idiots.

DK_Razgriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 DK_Razgriz

Actually Microsoft should just have them take the post down. Come on kids are on xbox live and do we want little Jane or Billy asking,"Dad, what is a Lesbian?" We don't want our kids or anybody else kids to see that. SHplayer

A couple of nights ago there was this report on the news regarding introducing homosexual relationships to children as young as 5 in schools. In fact, there are a number of books for children with stories of same sex weddings and so on. People say not to wrap kids up in cotton wool but i do believe this is a step too far. I don't see the need for anyone to post their sexuality on XLive unless they're looking for the attention.

"Dad, what is a Lesbian?" - would you rather tell your child yourself or have your child find out from somewhere else? Some place where the wrong impression may be painted in their mind.I'd rather answer my kids questions myself so i'd welcome questions like that one.

It's not like she was being vulgar about her sexuality (at least not to my knowledge). As far i i know is the word "lesbian" was involved with her profile in some way.. no big issue.. but against the terms of service - oh well.

MikeK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#233 MikeK47
Member since 2004 • 181 Posts

5. How You May Not Use the Service. In using the Service, you may not:Create a Gamertag , avatar or use text in other profile fields that may offend other members. This includes comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate or relate to any of the following: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities; What part of this do you not understand. It's a private service and they have every right to run it like they want.InjuredNoodle

This seems pretty clear to me. She agreed to the terms of the service and is at fault. It is unfortunate that she got banned, but she should not have had that in her profile. Just create a new profile and don't put that in there. Simple

Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Unassigned
how are the words gay and lesbian offensive...?what's next, banning people based on their religion? cuz some people are offended by other ideals.*rolls eyes at world*therapyhiccup
Yes many of us do find it offensive, it's called an "opinion" which is not illegal.
zintarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#235 zintarr
Member since 2004 • 2212 Posts

I am so sick of this sort of crap. Why is it gay people feel the need to post, announce, advertise that THEY ARE GAY Who cares if your gay straight, bi or date goats. Just live your life and stop causing problems for yourselves!

DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts
[QUOTE="therapyhiccup"]how are the words gay and lesbian offensive...?what's next, banning people based on their religion? cuz some people are offended by other ideals.*rolls eyes at world*Unassigned
Yes many of us do find it offensive, it's called an "opinion" which is not illegal.

People forget the meaning of the word and call it to people acting as if its an offensive word. It's not an offensive word and people are looking at it at a wrong way because of society. And it means very happy btw, so i can write gayman, which actually means happy man, but because of society it means homosexual man, which still isnt offensive, but then people would harrass me. If you think people who are gay or lesbians is offensive, then you have the right for an opinion, but shouldn't push it onto others. Because you are the one that is making it effect yourself.
sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#237 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

I say she should take MS to court, the obvious winner? her.

because even this story is total bsperfect_chao

The second you agree to that Service agreement the window opens and out flies your rights of free speech etc.

violent_spinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 violent_spinal
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts
Actually Microsoft should just have them take the post down. Come on kids are on xbox live and do we want little Jane or Billy asking,"Dad, what is a Lesbian?" We don't want our kids or anybody else kids to see that. SHplayer

I'm willing to bet any kid would hear far worse things out in public chat, then they would read in someones profile.
If having offensive content thrown at their children is problem, they shouldn't be on XBox LIVE in the first place.

All the words one could learn on XBox LIVE would make a sailor blush.

There are also options.
You can set your child to not be able to read other profiles, or you can also set your profile to private.
Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Unassigned
im seriously considering swithching to ps3 because of these incidents like getiing banned just because of what sex your atracted toSupertramp20
You people need to get a clue. It's not WHAT her preference is, it's the fact she posted it which is against the Terms of Agreement. Period.
Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Unassigned
Honestly, the woman should sue. Unless of course, its some 17 year old chick or younger. At 18 you're considered an adult in this country, and that is when your "sexual orientation" can be taken seriously, and most of the times it won't be until you're a woman 25 years of age or older. So, if she is an "Adult", she should go ahead and sue, and she would win, and Microsoft would need to make certain changes. It IS discrimination. As for adults wanting to "shield" their children from things of that nature, don't allow them to play online, the online community is absolutely offensive, no matter what video game your playing almost. There is no stopping ignorant people hopping online and using all sorts of offensive language. Being gay whether your a man or a woman, is perfectly fine, there is nothing wrong with it. You'll still be a MAN, you'll still be a WOMAN. All that changes is to who you're attracted to, and punishing someone for writing out their sexual orientation is ridiculous. That policy needs to either change or be taken out.soshootme77
So you're saying it's alright if people get online with a private service which includes minors and state in their public bios "I like sex doggy style"?
Rottenberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Rottenberry
Member since 2004 • 4908 Posts
LOL
K3lv1n25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 K3lv1n25
iNDEED. theres no need to state sexual prefrence on xbox live
sammyt555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 sammyt555
Member since 2008 • 220 Posts
dude, i bet its just a protocol thing. so many kids probably put gay in their profile in an offensive way so microsoft banned it. probably a stupid misunderstanding
SlayerX13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 SlayerX13
Member since 2004 • 248 Posts
She was not banned for her sexual disposition. She was band for having a term to describe her sexual preference in her gamertag. It would be like having a gamer tag named "Vag1naLover". Neither word is offensive but in an all ages enviroment who you choose to ?#*! isn't acceptable.
BlackKobra94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 BlackKobra94
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts
Well, Microsoft is retarded for banning someone like that, it was in her bio not her gamertag. If microsoft thinks this is worse, look at all of the racism is out there. Microsoft needs to grow a pair.
Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Unassigned
Well, Microsoft is retarded for banning someone like that, it was in her bio not her gamertag. If microsoft thinks this is worse, look at all of the racism is out there. Microsoft needs to grow a pair.BlackKobra94
It's MS's network, their rules, deal with it. Kudos for MS for banning users who violate the Terms of Service agreement which they agreed to abide by.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#248 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I say she should take MS to court, the obvious winner? her.

perfect_chao

Oh yes, very obvious. :roll: You don't even know what she wrote.

The second you agree to that Service agreement the window opens and out flies your rights of free speech etc.

sensfanVone

I want you to describe how signing an agreement to abide by certain restrictions to join a private club is violating your right to free speech.

buddy_head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 buddy_head
Member since 2008 • 110 Posts
The heck?
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts
I don't see why sexuality should be included in profiles for a non-sexuality based service. That includes gay/straight/bi/trans/etc... But, if she felt like putting it there, that's fine, she shouldn't have been banned. She also shouldn't have been shocked when people took offense.