Lesbian gets banned from Xbox Live

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts

http://consumerist.com/5160187/identifying-yourself-as-a-lesbian-gets-you-banned-on-xbox-live

What do you think? Was microsoft right for doing this?

LightColor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LightColor
Member since 2006 • 2709 Posts
wow poor girl, those ppl on live r such *********** n MS is dumb as hell but crazy story !!!!
black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
:( I'm so dissapointed right now I don't know what to say, except no that was not right at all
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
This is why i very rarely use a microphone on live. It's by far the worst community i've ever seen. Very few games have a decent community and only reason that's true is because they aren't very popular.
Avatar image for sharpshooter188
sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 sharpshooter188
Member since 2003 • 4368 Posts
typical half assed thinking on their part. Everyone preaches acceptance to gays etc but .... well hell the stories right there. Truth be told im not for gay activity but that doesnt mean im gonna judge someone for it. The people acted out of line and for microsoft to go after her just seems like a well we cant silence everyone so we'll just get rid of one person and solve the whole problem. Despite how wrong it may be.
ChrisGamer5757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ChrisGamer5757
Member since 2003 • 476 Posts
Right for doing it? They have NO right at all to banish someone based on their sexual preference. It's pure discrimination and it's sad that in this day and age things like that still occur.
Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts
Wow...um...way to go Microsoft! [/sarcasm] Seriously, do people take offense at knowing there are homosexual people on LIVE? I don't see how identifying yourself as such could cause inconvieniences to other people. It's not like they're going to track you down and be like that, so why even bother to raise the issue?
marioboy333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#8 marioboy333
Member since 2008 • 649 Posts
I guess they don't want inapporiate language
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#9 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Well, first off having the word gay in your gamer tag is kinda of inappropriate. Just like having any other sex related term. I doubt we're getting the full story here. Regardless why would this person be going around talking about their sexual orientation anyway? It is inappropriate. We'll never probably get a proper story. This is just going to be over blown and everyone will think of it as prejudice. Only looking at this in one angle.
perfect_chao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 perfect_chao
Member since 2005 • 2065 Posts
I say she should take MS to court, the obvious winner? her.

because even this story is total bs
cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cowgriller
Member since 2008 • 3153 Posts
i feel sorry for that girl but i feel worse for that guy. richard gaywood. also known as dick gaywood. either his parents have a really twisted sense of humor, or they must've hated him.
cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cowgriller
Member since 2008 • 3153 Posts
I guess they don't want inapporiate languagemarioboy333
too bad they never told the 12 year old halo/geow gamers.
Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
That's pretty dumb.
sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sourcerah
Member since 2003 • 1214 Posts
Ummm... well first of all to all of you that believe that this is not fair, you must not have read the fine print in the xbox360 terms and conditions.. It states that there cannot be anything offensive, rude, etc. in your gamertag. And it also says Microsoft is the final judge of what is and isn't offensive. #2. No where in the article did they say what her gamertag was, which I find a little odd. All of you are supporting a name that you have no clue what it is.. Microsoft has a list words that CANNOT be used anywhere in the gamertag and she probably violated this.. #3 Microsoft DID NOT KICK HER OFF FOR BEING GAY they kicked her off for the gamertag she used. Some of you need to learn to read accurately and with understanding. All she has to do is create a new one and problem solved.. NOT A BIG DEAL.. I don't feel like I have to express the fact that i'm straight in my gamertag. Why does she feel the NEED to express she is gay And evidently she doesn't have the right to either.
doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#15 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
well if my niece is going to play online I would prefer to have any sexual theme out of hte game, its also not fair to ban someone based on their sexual prefeence, but it would be best if she keep that for themself or her friends and all
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts
wtf that's the stupidest thing i have ever read guess i'm going ps next time i get a console unless they are the same
pauldaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pauldaddy
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts
weak!!!!!!!!!
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

She could turn this into a major lawsuit. Not that I would condone one.

It IS ridiculous though. Microsoft has no right to do that.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
I'm not going to jump on the sensitivity train here like so many others; I'll view this from another angle.

1. How does advertising you are gay in your bio relate to gaming in any way?
2. Knowing the level of immaturity on the Internet, how stupid can you be to actually post that information? You could state in your profile that you love tuna and sure enough some dolt will read it and call you out for liking tuna.
3. We don't even know what her bio said, as far as we know it could say "This lesbian goes down easy" and that was what peeved MS.

I really feel the response from MS was preventative rather than laced with hate. I mean what if they did nothing and then this girl turned around and killed herself or something? People need to stop overreacting and realize that it was likely done to spare her from the obvious immature comments. She should have known better than to advertise something she knew would incite a controversy.

Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Omni-Wrath
Member since 2008 • 1970 Posts

Good.

She shouldn't post around " I am teh lesbian"

I don't see Straight people posting " I am straight."

She would lose against Microsoft too. They have the best lawyers ever. What was the need to put your sexual prefrence on it anyway?

Did we need to know she was Lesbian?

She deserved it.

Rainbow_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Rainbow_Lion
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts
Since when did sexuality have anything to do with games? She was obviously looking for a reaction and she got one
OhioKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 OhioKid
Member since 2007 • 164 Posts
I don't think it was fair to ban her based on sexual preference, but she should have known that if she put that kind of info in her bio that people would make fun of her.
Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Omni-Wrath

:( I'm so dissapointed right now I don't know what to say, except no that was not right at allblack_tempest

She should have read the rules before she signed up. Her being Lesbian has nothing to do with games. And I wonder what her full message was hmmm.

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sourcerah

"We don't even know what her bio said, as far as we know it could say "This lesbian goes down easy" and that was what peeved MS."

*applause* At least someone is reading with understanding.. Also, they did not ban her on the sole fact that she was gay Some of you people need to learn that reading is fundamental

RavageGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RavageGT
Member since 2008 • 989 Posts

Well, first off having the word gay in your gamer tag is kinda of inappropriate. Just like having any other sex related term. I doubt we're getting the full story here. Regardless why would this person be going around talking about their sexual orientation anyway? It is inappropriate. We'll never probably get a proper story. This is just going to be over blown and everyone will think of it as prejudice. Only looking at this in one angle.vashkey

Having the word "straight" in your gamer tag isn't inappropriate

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts
Are you sure you're hearing the full story?
Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Omni-Wrath

I don't think it was fair to ban her based on sexual preference, but she should have known that if she put that kind of info in her bio that people would make fun of her.OhioKid

You think she was banned for that. SHe never stated her full message. Not to mention she did not need to tell people she was Lesbian unless she was an attention whore.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

Looks like Microsoft must be ran by gay people. :evil: The rest of the world, however, should love lesbians. ;) :lol: :Dcodezer0

Why you think they call themselves "mircosoft' they want every video gamer to be a male

they cant handle hot sexy **** females :lol:

FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
ive lost faith in humanity now...but i did get enjoyment out of this quote "Today I received a message from another gamer calling me a f a g I am a lesbian, so they aren't too smart if they cant get their anti-gay slurs right. "
Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Omni-Wrath

ive lost faith in humanity now...but i did get enjoyment out of this quote "Today I received a message from another gamer calling me a f a g I am a lesbian, so they aren't too smart if they cant get their anti-gay slurs right. "FUBAR24

:roll: You lost you faith in humanity boo hoo. Oh well maybe some people should read the Terms of Use. Why did she put her sexual perefrence in a gamer tag.

And report the guy for the message he will enjoy his week suspension.

Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Omni-Wrath

[QUOTE="codezer0"]Looks like Microsoft must be ran by gay people. :evil: The rest of the world, however, should love lesbians. ;) :lol: :Drealistic44

Why you think they call themselves "mircosoft' they want every video gamer to be a male

they cant handle hot sexy **** females :lol:

:roll:Of course they can handle hot ans sexy females.

Your post show how well you know anything.

They can't handle it please. Use logic for **** sake. They really don't care if you are male or female as long as you pay for live. Now what makes you thing that female was hot and sexy just becasue she is a lesbian:roll:. Please. She shouldn't have put that in her Gamer Tag Bio any way.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
how is someone's sexual preferance offensive? you know if someone put that they were straight, then abolutley nothing would happen...
nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts
Aren't online interactions supposed to unrated? As in, you're expected to here 12 y/o swear and junk... hmm...
Avatar image for Un4givingAsault
Un4givingAsault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 Un4givingAsault
Member since 2008 • 1053 Posts
Just wait here, WHO THE HELL PUTS THERE SEXUAL ORIENTATION IN THEIR BIO.
whodeyzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 whodeyzach
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts
They shouldn't have banned her. I think a warning would have worked just fine. Still, I don't understand why she felt the need to put that on her profile. Xbox Live is not a place for finding singles. If she wants to mingle she should choose a singles website. I'm not bashing gays/lesbians in anyway, shape, or form. I voted for same sex marriage and will continue to do so. However, I don't think someones sexual orientation has any business being on Xbox live. As far as being worried about the kids, seeing the word lesbian should be the least of the parents worries. I don't have kids but if I did I would never let him/her play online. If I had a $1 for every F-bomb I heard on Xbox live I'd be rich.
Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Omni-Wrath

Aren't online interactions supposed to unrated? As in, you're expected to here 12 y/o swear and junk... hmm...nitsud_19

You can mute them plus you hear it there really is no proff unless you record it. SHe has it in her Bio.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
The system is based off reports: A ton of people must have reported her GT/profile as being offensive, and so MS ban the account. I'm surprised they didn't ask her to change it before hand. I wonder if the XBL TOS covers any of this stuff.
sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sourcerah
how is someone's sexual preferance offensive? you know if someone put that they were straight, then abolutley nothing would happen...Sword-Demon
Nobody would put that in the first place
nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

[QUOTE="nitsud_19"]Aren't online interactions supposed to unrated? As in, you're expected to here 12 y/o swear and junk... hmm...Omni-Wrath

You can mute them plus you hear it there really is no proff unless you record it. SHe has it in her Bio.

You're right but it is still an online interaction of sorts. Indirectly that is.

M4Ntan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 M4Ntan
Member since 2009 • 1438 Posts
I'm dissapointed in microsoft, but still, xbox live isn't a place to advertise your preferences for sexes, Also, xbox live has like 20 million subscribers, im sure like 5% of them are also complaining they got banned, microsoft just can't help all of them, neither can customer service, if you try to get help from them, your a freaking retard Still, this was wrong, I'm not as mad as i am to Microsoft as i am to the players who harrassed her, and others who harrass people because they have nothing else to do, mabye the people who harrass are actually the F@gs. F@gs meaning stupid and bad not homosexual.
violent_spinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 violent_spinal
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts
Just wait here, WHO THE HELL PUTS THERE SEXUAL ORIENTATION IN THEIR BIO. Un4givingAsault

Who would get banned for it?
I mean, why wouldn't she just get the regular old treatment of getting "CODE OF CONDUCT" put where the offensive content was.
Why a straight out ban?

Either there's something else here we don't know, or it's complete BS why she would have been banned for that.
Not even mentioning getting chased through games and getting harassed. God, I hate XBox LIVE.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#44 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
The story would be tragic if it weren't for the fact that it's a complete load of crap. I can't believe how many of you think that story is actually true.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
that is great. u hear a lot of 12 year olds swearing but a person can't have lesbian in her profile. xbox live is so great because it is a nice family place..... i know a chick on steam and her header thing says "sorry guys i'm lezbo XD" i don't take offense to that and i find it a bit funny.

xbox people should take a look at their banning thing because a person can be ban for doing nothing. the person just needs enough reports to get it ban.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
I bet you Microsoft did that because of religious reasons.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#47 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

if she followed up on geting microsoft on this she can win agaist it. saying she's a lesbian is not offensive u.s allowes any rellgion to taken by anyone as long as it harms no one and every one as a free will as long as it harms no one. if a person/ rellgion haress someone because of who they are they will be taken down.

calling someone else a lesbain in a ofensive way by someone knows nothing about them thats ofensive. and thats what need's be tooken care of. people needs learn how to use right meanings for words words before they take action on anything.

~i'am nor gay or agaist it

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#48 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
I bet you Microsoft did that because of religious reasons. Legendaryscmt
and if they did and the girl sues microsoft she can prove it case over laws buddy this is just like fireing someone just because there race or rellgion
creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

Good.

She shouldn't post around " I am teh lesbian"

I don't see Straight people posting " I am straight."

She would lose against Microsoft too. They have the best lawyers ever. What was the need to put your sexual prefrence on it anyway?

Did we need to know she was Lesbian?

She deserved it.

Omni-Wrath

Actually, you probably make mention your sexual orientation all the time without realizing it. Ever made a casual reference to your girlfriend/wife, or that you find a particular woman attractive? My profile on live mentions that I'm married and that I live in California, which in light of a recent tyranny of the majority, I'm ashamed to say, directly implies that I'm straight.

The reason we heterosexuals don't notice these things is because we make up the social and political majority (not to be confused with homophobic heterosexuals, who will likely be marginalized to the neo-nazi fringe where they belong within a generation or two). Homosexuals tend to be more vocal about their sexuality because they're a minority, which in turn makes their orientation a greater part of their identity that it does ours.

As one poster in that article's comments section pointed out, nobody would find it offensive if someone's gamer tag said "ladies man".

FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts

[QUOTE="FUBAR24"]ive lost faith in humanity now...but i did get enjoyment out of this quote "Today I received a message from another gamer calling me a f a g I am a lesbian, so they aren't too smart if they cant get their anti-gay slurs right. "Omni-Wrath

:roll: You lost you faith in humanity boo hoo. Oh well maybe some people should read the Terms of Use. Why did she put her sexual perefrence in a gamer tag.

And report the guy for the message he will enjoy his week suspension.

i have read the terms of use. nowhere does it state that putting your sexual preference in your BIO which is where she put it is a suspendable let alone bannable offense