The gaming world moves with consoles, so why do I NEED a gaming PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22787 Posts

Its a question I've often wondered... folks be very passionate about how epic it is being a PC gamer as opposed to being a console gamer and I can see the hotness in having a crystal clear resolution and 60fps etc etc etc... but when all is said and done, is the juice worth the squeeze? This industry does not move in cycles based on the PC, meaning games dont evolve from generation to generation based on PC only games, but rather by the consoles... so in short, while admittedly the PC offers a premium performance for a premium price, my gameplay experience moves with the console generation and filters through or along side what PC is doing.

Now Im sure this will all be misunderstood by the system wars ilk, but I stand by it. If PC offered a new style of gaming that was a must have experience, id be first to jump, but again console development is what moves te generation forward.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

"If PC offered a new style of gaming that was a must have experience..."

It doesn't, pure and simple. PC Gaming is the most conservative, traditional platform out there. 10 years ago the majority of us played with Keyboard and Mouse. Today, the majoirty of us play with Keyboard and Mouse. 10 Years from now, we will most likely be playing with Keyboard and Mouse.

Is that bad? No. We don't have to worry about motion controls being a hit and taking over how we control our games.

Consoles offer new experiences in gaming because companies have to market themselves as different than other compeitior consoles. Motion controlls being a hit? Yes.

Is that a bad thing? No, motion controls are pretty good when done properly.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Because the PC has so many good exclusives, the most out of any system in fact, and it has significantly superior multiplats. As well as mods to make games even better. And keyboard/mouse support.. etc.. And much better graphics than consoles...

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Another person who thinks the only benefit of PC gaming is the superior graphics... *sigh* :roll:
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Another person who thinks the only benefit of PC gaming is the superior graphics... *sigh* :roll:

yup... mods would be cool, but not a deal breaker for me. so explain.
starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
Aw, Jesus. Another one of these... **headdesk** You don't need a gaming PC. It's obvious that what you need is a console, just like what I and other PC gaming fans need is a PC.
kobedaGOAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kobedaGOAT
Member since 2006 • 293 Posts

Another person who thinks the only benefit of PC gaming is the superior graphics... *sigh* :roll:C_Rule

I hear that. If they only understood that everytime they act as if the line stops at visuals, they truly kill their own argument.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="C_Rule"]Another person who thinks the only benefit of PC gaming is the superior graphics... *sigh* :roll:

yup... mods would be cool, but not a deal breaker for me. so explain.

Read my post
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

The games.

Same with every other platform out there.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Another person who thinks the only benefit of PC gaming is the superior graphics...

*sigh* :roll:TheEroica

mods

Keep going, buddy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Id rather sya that they move in Tandem.

PC usually have a steady evolution across several years, its not a jump but rather a constant, so it can be hard to see it, if you do no look for it specifically.

Then a Console comes out gathers what the last 5 (randum number) of years of PC development have yielded, and puts into a console finetuning the development, and it creates a leap from th last console generation, altho the PC would have similar looking games at that point.

Then consoles begin to stagnate, while the PC side of games keeps slowly evolving, just like now. We see the PC putting out that this gen of consoles are not at all capable off, then the next gen of consoels, will take this stuff it into thier next box, and make a leap again from the last console.

This cycle generally is how the industry seems to work. this is why consoles seem to move in "leaps" while the PC is seeminginglyalmost organically evolving.

The main problem becomes when you see something like this console generation, where most games are multiplat, and thus the PC can only evolve through exclusives. Since multiplats must be built so they can in some way or form scale back so it can fit on console. But that scaling comes at a huge expence.

If the industry continues to do this, the PC will stop evolving, because it is a prisoner of the consoles hardware, and the consoles will not be able to "leap a generation" because there has been no development on the PC, hardware AND software wise.

If that happens gaming really grind to a halt, there will be no next console, because it would be pointless, and hardwarewise, the PC industry would almost die out, since new hardware would not be sought after.

So basicly what we usually sees is this tandem development, but what we may see is that gaming will stop evolving entirely. Stagnate so hard that it will all crumble. I think this is part of why you see so many devs begin to work with PC as lead or exclusive again, to push tech, and what we think we are able to do.

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
im not a fan of baseball, so we dont need the MLB???....what?
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

The games.

Same with every other platform out there.

Lto_thaG

exactly that. I dont see any decent RTS games on consoles there hence why i play only on pc ( which also covers nicely my RPG, FPS and driving needs ) Also alot of niche and indie games like galactic civilizations and space rangers are among the best games i played

Mods an Graphics are also a very nice bonus especially mods

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica  Moderator

Id rather sya that they move in Tandem.

PC usually have a steady evolution across several years, its not a jump but rather a constant, so it can be hard to see it, if you do no look for it specifically.

Then a Console comes out gathers what the last 5 (randum number) of years of PC development have yielded, and puts into a console finetuning the development, and it creates a leap from th last console generation, altho the PC would have similar looking games at that point.

Then consoles begin to stagnate, while the PC side of games keeps slowly evolving, just like now. We see the PC putting out that this gen of consoles are not at all capable off, then the next gen of consoels, will take this stuff it into thier next box, and make a leap again from the last console.

This cycle generally is how the industry seems to work. this is why consoles seem to move in "leaps" while the PC is seeminginglyalmost organically evolving.

The main problem becomes when you see something like this console generation, where most games are multiplat, and thus the PC can only evolve through exclusives. Since multiplats must be built so they can in some way or form scale back so it can fit on console. But that scaling comes at a huge expence.

If the industry continues to do this, the PC will stop evolving, because it is a prisoner of the consoles hardware, and the consoles will not be able to "leap a generation" because there has been no development on the PC, hardware AND software wise.

If that happens gaming really grind to a halt, there will be no next console, because it would be pointless, and hardwarewise, the PC industry would almost die out, since new hardware would not be sought after.

So basicly what we usually sees is this tandem development, but what we may see is that gaming will stop evolving entirely. Stagnate so hard that it will all crumble. I think this is part of why you see so many devs begin to work with PC as lead or exclusive again, to push tech, and what we think we are able to do.

Maddie_Larkin
wow... an intelligent response... thank you friend. I knew the rest would just get defensive, because thats what they do. in response, yeah, thats how I see it, a tandem development, but with emphasis placed upon console cycle as opposed to PC. As I said, if there is a separation in gameplay design from PC to console and the PC is trully offering the ''must have" experience, then yeah, im on board... In todays gaming climate however, the next big "change" or "evolution" in gaming will be the new consoles.
TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

You don't NEED one. You never NEEDED one.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Depends on the person I guess. My computer is more convenient for me and the games run better (which is important to me).

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator
im not a fan of baseball, so we dont need the MLB???....what?TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
I.. um... wha? I dont get it... I think you are implying that the world doesnt need to PC game because I dont? is that right? What I am really stating is that while I can see a small percentage of folks want to have the very very best in performance, the development of the industry moves with the consoles, thus negating a NEED to go crazy on a rig when the gameplay and design are found equally in the consoles. I thought I was pretty clear... ps, I love baseball.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Its a question I've often wondered... folks be very passionate about how epic it is being a PC gamer as opposed to being a console gamer and I can see the hotness in having a crystal clear resolution and 60fps etc etc etc... but when all is said and done, is the juice worth the squeeze? This industry does not move in cycles based on the PC, meaning games dont evolve from generation to generation based on PC only games, but rather by the consoles... so in short, while admittedly the PC offers a premium performance for a premium price, my gameplay experience moves with the console generation and filters through or along side what PC is doing.

Now Im sure this will all be misunderstood by the system wars ilk, but I stand by it. If PC offered a new style of gaming that was a must have experience, id be first to jump, but again console development is what moves te generation forward.

TheEroica
Well a clear majoirty of the "evolutions" that happen and move genres forward happen on PC or have been around on pc for a very long time before consoles do them ;). And tbh there is no cycle of the PC generations are counted because of consoles as the PC (so far) is timeless. We can play the first PC games released or the new ones. Anyway a new style of gaming? Like what? Motion controls? Voice commands? They have all been done on the pc way before consoles ever did them. Just for your information. Unless ofc you are talking about something else but i think i covered that already. Anyway a 5-6 years old pc is stronger then a console.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
The games, it has more exclusives this gen than all 3 consoles combined.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="C_Rule"]Another person who thinks the only benefit of PC gaming is the superior graphics...

*sigh* :roll:C_Rule

mods

Keep going, buddy.

um, mods? I personally would rather game with my feet than a mouse and keyboard, but thats a preference thing...

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

modsTheEroica

Keep going, buddy.

um, mods? I personally would rather game with my feet than a mouse and keyboard, but thats a preference thing...

Good thing you have every control options for the PC :>

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 adamosmaki
[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]im not a fan of baseball, so we dont need the MLB???....what?TheEroica
I.. um... wha? I dont get it... I think you are implying that the world doesnt need to PC game because I dont? is that right? What I am really stating is that while I can see a small percentage of folks want to have the very very best in performance, the development of the industry moves with the consoles, thus negating a NEED to go crazy on a rig when the gameplay and design are found equally in the consoles. I thought I was pretty clear... ps, I love baseball.

Can you find something similar to sins of solar empires on consoles? Can you find something as niche as Galactic civiliztions? Can you find something as massive as Arma? Can you find mods ? There are alot of developers that release their games only on PC because its either the only platform that has an audience for certain types of games while some games work only well on Pc ( try playing something like sins of a solar empire on consoles )
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#23 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
No one NEEDS a PC, ever.
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

I was a PC gamers since early 90s and it actually sucks lately, thats why I bought a PS3 two years ago. Too many great games are console only or the PC ports suck.

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#25 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

The FPS and the resolution are for me a major factor, purely because I'm used to 1080p in every game and 60FPS+. It's hard to play a blurry/jagged looking game at 30FPS or less. It's like eating scraps of beef leftover when you've been used to eating fillet steak.

Aside from that, the PC has the most games, the most highly rated games and the best versions of any multiplatform game.

On top of that the modding community has created endless enjoyable hours out of my favourite games. The Stalker games for instance, one of my favourite games/franchises ever has endless mods all 3 games. These drastically improve an already excellent game and in all sorts of ways. There are entire mods that create entirely new experiences/stories for the game you can play through. Imagine being able to play your favourite game over and over again with free new content and additional extras that people make randomly.

Another prime modding example are the Fallout or Oblivion games. People create huge mods, adding characters fully voiced, entire stories, campaigns etc etc. It just goes on and on.

Honestly the advantages are so endless, it is for me in a different league. However as with anything, it depends of course upon the individual. The PC is at the forefront of gaming and it always will be. The advancement of technology in gaming is driven by the PC, not the consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

PC gaming is not what it once was. Before, it was consoles trying to mimic the pc experience. The xbox was full of half baked pc experiences. Considering how powerful the pc format has become, it is rather baffling that games are actually LESS advanced than they were in the early 2000s.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Lol, what?

Seriously, you have to be pretty ignorant about the gaming biz to say something like this.

HD gaming, FPS, Western RPG's, Mods, Digital distribution, Online gaming, the entire model of game development in the indie scene, AND with the big guys too.

ALL of that started on the PC.

Heck many of the developers you know in the console scene either grew up playign PC games, or started out making games on the PC. And they continue to influences most modern game play.

Last generation, if you wanted to know what console gaming was going to be for this gen, everyone said - just look at PC for a glimpse of the console future. And that 100% correct.

About the only thing that is innovated on the consoles are JRPG's, 2D platformers and motion controls.

And even that latter isn't without it's PC counterpart. Razers motion control might not be that popular, but it uses a unique method of achivieng pretty much 1:1 motion control on the PC. And of cours,e we just recently got official drivers for Kinect.

And the PC continues to be a source of innovaiton in the business, and a windows to the future of consoles.

Digital distribution, the phenomenom of MMO's, the free to play model, the social aspect of the online world coming together with gaming, the technology that drives modern graphics, AI, physics, it's ALL on the PC first, and it's all tested on the PC first, and it continues to evolve on the PC, and eventually, sometime down the line, it makes it to consoles.

And then people like the TC can pretend that it was consoles that brought all of this stuff about.

The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The__Havoc
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts

Because I don't enjoy the framerates and resolutions getting lower and lower each passing year on a console. Because I actually like play games with decent framerates.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
I personally would rather game with my feet than a mouse and keyboard, but thats a preference thing...TheEroica
With a PC, you have many options to control the gameplay, so you're in luck there.
iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#30 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

PC gaming is not what it once was. Before, it was consoles trying to mimic the pc experience. The xbox was full of half baked pc experiences. Considering how powerful the pc format has become, it is rather baffling that games are actually LESS advanced than they were in the early 2000s.

Heirren

It's not baffling at all, PC games i.e. multiplaform games at least, were dumbed down in order to run or be suitable for consoles and the younger console gaming generation. This is because console gaming took over PC gaming economically. However with the popularity of DD games growing exponentially in the last couple of years this is now changing. The console market is now contracting and the PC market is growing. Right now in 2011 the PC game sales market is larger than any single console and that is excluding MMO games and social/casual games. If you include MMO and casual/social games the PC gaming market is actually larger than all the consoles combined. If this trend continues, as is expected. over the next five years you will see game developers/publishers catering to PC gamers more. This will lead to greater complexity, openness and maturity in games.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#31 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

You need a PC to play WoW

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheEroica  Moderator

Lol, what?

Seriously, you have to be pretty ignorant about the gaming biz to say something like this.

HD gaming, FPS, Western RPG's, Mods, Digital distribution, Online gaming, the entire model of game development in the indie scene, AND with the big guys too.

Heck many of the developers you know in the console scene either grew up playign PC gmaing, or started out on the PC. And their gaming influences most modern game play.

Last generation, if ou wanted to know what console gmaign was going to be for this gen, everyone said - just look at PC for a glimpse of the console future. And that 100% correct.

About the only thing that is innovated on the consoles are JRPG's, 2D platformers and motion controls.

And even that latter isn't without it's PC counterpart. Razers motion control might not be that popular, but it uses a unique method of achivieng pretty much 1:1 motion control on the PC. And of cours,e we just recently got official drivers for Kinect.

Kinthalis

not saying that PC didnt usher in a lot of fantastic standards in the current video game climate, but what I am saying is that the eb and flow of the industry follows the consoles (which now also do online, DD, HD, FPS, WRPG etc etc etc etc...) and to this end, it limits the overall value of making the investment into the high priced rig...

edit, wow, on the final dig... when did you start gaming? how old are you out of curiosity?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="TheEroica"]I personally would rather game with my feet than a mouse and keyboard, but thats a preference thing...Heil68
With a PC, you have many options to control the gameplay, so you're in luck there.

this is true, but that doesnt necesserily improve the overall quality of the game, just manipulate the rules.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Lol, what?

Heck many of the developers you know in the console scene either grew up playign PC gmaing, or started out on the PC. And their gaming influences most modern game play.

Last generation, if ou wanted to know what console gmaign was going to be for this gen, everyone said - just look at PC for a glimpse of the console future. And that 100% correct.

TheEroica

not saying that PC didnt usher in a lot of fantastic standards in the current video game climate, but what I am saying is that the eb and flow of the industry follows the consoles (which now also do online, DD, HD, FPS, WRPG etc etc etc etc...) and to this end, it limits the overall value of making the investment into the high priced rig...

edit, wow, on the final dig... when did you start gaming? how old are you out of curiosity?

You're being very vague.

What exactly is this ebb and flow? And how exactly are console controllign it?

As I mentioned, the PC was the innovator of most things people associate with consoles now a days. And it's the innovator of the things that will eventuall find their way to the console.

The Pc is the playground of developers, publishers, engineers. It's where ideas are tested, developed, evolved.

PC IS the driver of many of the things we associate with gaming. Just because console then embraces them (they would be stupid not to), doesn't mean the consoles are somehow the ones who desrve credit.

On the PC you cna enjoy a multitude of AMZAING free games, a ton of MMO's to please just about any gaming taste. It's the only place you can pre-download a game and have i digitially ready to go at midnight, day of release. It's the only place where you ca see mods turn into franchises. It's the only place you cna see what cutting edge technology can pull off.

There are MANY reasons why it's a fun, egaging, and interesting gmaing platform over consoles. I relaly don't see your point.

By the way I'm 30, started gaming on a super nintendo back in the late 80's.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NoodleFighter  Online
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Lol, what?

TheEroica

And what is this high price PC to you?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Lol, what?

Kinthalis

You're being very vague.

As I mentioned, the PC was the innovator of most things people associate with consoles now a days. And it's the innovator of the things that will eventuall find their way to the console.

The Pc is the playground of developers, publishers, engineers. It's where ideas are tested, developed, evolved.

PC IS the driver of many of the things we associate with gaming. Just because console then embraces them (they would be stupid not to), doesn't mean the consoles are somehow the ones who desrve credit.

On the PC you cna enjoy a multitude of AMZAING free games, a ton of MMO's to please just about any gaming taste. It's the only place you can pre-download a game and have i digitially ready to go at midnight, day of release. It's the only place where you ca see mods turn into franchises. It's the only place you cna see what cutting edge technology can pull off.

There are MANY reasons why it's a fun, egaging, and interesting gmaing platform over consoles. I relaly don't see your point.

The "eb and flow" is just a term i used to describe the development of games within the industry... for example, the same genres and designs are present in both platforms and my point is that besides a few features like mods and super high performance the development of video games follows the consoles or maybe its better to say as a recent poster said, they are developed in tandem. So to the everyday gamer, where is the draw to go top end when the experience of gaming is at an equilibrium across all platforms. The reason I asked is that I am 33, started in the early 80's when my folks bought my brother and I an atari 2600 in 82'... I've followed this hobby very close over the years and I'm not ignorant to the importance of the PC and what its added to this hobby. Im also not ignorant to the state of consoles becoming much more "PC like" over the past 5-10 years and that is where my thoughts about this thread come from... It was highly off putting to read that comment about me claiming something that just isnt true. Id rather discuss than sling mud, thanks.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Lol, what?

NoodleFighter

And what is this high price PC to you?

$500 plus for a gaming machine, consoles included is my breaking point. Dont care what the machine can do... I've got a career, make plenty of money, kids a mortgage etc, but I have a breaking point.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

You don't 'need' a gaming pc, it, just like the consoles, offers other exclusives that you may or may not like. No matter how much anyone wants, unless you have m/kb, you can't play certain button/percision heavy games on console, and you'll never see them on consoles.

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]im not a fan of baseball, so we dont need the MLB???....what?TheEroica

I like Sparta's thinking, get rid of the NFL, NHL, NHRA, NASCAR, NBA, PGA, What ever baseball/football(the rest of the world) is as an acronym and all the other worthless 'physical' sports! Yes, perfect world achieved. Replace it all with good e-sports (not CoD though)

It's sarcasm.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

my problem with pc is that game play wise it never changes. Its always keyboard and mouse with better graphics. Yes i know you can add a controller if you want to. But unless the game is made with custom controls in mind it wont be that innovative.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

my problem with pc is that game play wise it never changes. Its always keyboard and mouse with better graphics. Yes i know you can add a controller if you want to. But unless the game is made with custom controls in mind it wont be that innovative.

dontshackzmii
I don't think controls need much innovation, the games them self should innovate instead. :D
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 adamosmaki
[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"] not saying that PC didnt usher in a lot of fantastic standards in the current video game climate, but what I am saying is that the eb and flow of the industry follows the consoles (which now also do online, DD, HD, FPS, WRPG etc etc etc etc...) and to this end, it limits the overall value of making the investment into the high priced rig...

TheEroica

You're being very vague.

The "eb and flow" is just a term i used to describe the development of games within the industry... for example, the same genres and designs are present in both platforms and my point is that besides a few features like mods and super high performance the development of video games follows the consoles or maybe its better to say as a recent poster said, they are developed in tandem. So to the everyday gamer, where is the draw to go top end when the experience of gaming is at an equilibrium across all platforms. The reason I asked is that I am 33, started in the early 80's when my folks bought my brother and I an atari 2600 in 82'... I've followed this hobby very close over the years and I'm not ignorant to the importance of the PC and what its added to this hobby. Im also not ignorant to the state of consoles becoming much more "PC like" over the past 5-10 years and that is where my thoughts about this thread come from... It was highly off putting to read that comment about me claiming something that just isnt true. Id rather discuss than sling mud, thanks.

Pc is the only platform that trully offers something different than the same old shooter and sports games of consoles. Find me something Magicka or Amnesia on consoles Besides if anything the driving force of the industry is the pc platform . What has seen the biggest improvements this generation ? DD with services like Steam and D2D and consoles are following and when in 4-5 years when DD will be as popular on consoles as its on pc now you will all think that DD is consoles doing
The_Pacific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The_Pacific
Member since 2011 • 1804 Posts
To get the best looking and performing games possible ? And the best RTS's & MMO's.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Another person who thinks the only benefit of PC gaming is the superior graphics... *sigh* :roll:

Considering I don't like keyboard/mouse for gaming what else is there
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 adamosmaki
[QUOTE="p4s2p0"][QUOTE="C_Rule"]Another person who thinks the only benefit of PC gaming is the superior graphics... *sigh* :roll:

Considering I don't like keyboard/mouse for gaming what else is there

i can give you alot of reasons. What else is there for consoles ?
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Lots of these threads recently :roll: we get it you don't have a gaming pc because its a personal choice... why the need to justify it though?

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

No one NEEDS a PC, ever.siLVURcross
Just like no one needs any systems they are not necessities they are just for fun.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#47 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Lots of these threads recently :roll: we get it you don't have a gaming pc because its a personal choice... why the need to justify it though?

SapSacPrime

you have to remember... this is system wars. Folks are fairly hilarious here. A person can state objective things they enjoy about the PC but i've noticed there threads also come up stating either Pc has no X game, PC is too expensive, PC does not innovate, mystery statement now of "ebb and flow", all pc games are "niche" therefore they are worthless, PC gamers are elitist. Every weekend these threads appear lol..

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Actually it's PC that drives the changes in the industry. Most trends and gameplay ideas are born there. Console gaming is always couple steps behind PC, instead focusing on mainstream and generally being averse to taking chances.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="SapSacPrime"]

jedikevin2

you have to remember... this is system wars. Folks are fairly hilarious here. A person can state objective things they enjoy about the PC but i've noticed there threads also come up stating either Pc has no X game, PC is too expensive, PC does not innovate, mystery statement now of "ebb and flow", all pc games are "niche" therefore they are worthless, PC gamers are elitist. Every weekend these threads appear lol..

I dont read every thread and I come here to discuss with equally passionate people as me... funny, I dont seem to remember bashing the PC and in fact praised its high performance. I was stating a curiosity about the currant climate of gaming, but apparently its easier to write the topic off and act like I pi$$ed in your morning cereal...
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

The "eb and flow" is just a term i used to describe the development of games within the industry... for example, the same genres and designs are present in both platforms and my point is that besides a few features like mods and super high performance the development of video games follows the consolesTheEroica
Except majority of titles released on PC are either PC exclusives or are designed primarly with PC in mind. So if you want something different PC would seem to be exactly what you're lookign forward to. I can understand that some people do not like what PC has to offer and that's fine, but there's no denying that PCgaming offers vastly different experience when compared to console gaming.