The gaming world moves with consoles, so why do I NEED a gaming PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#302 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

I cant wait to play the Kinect Mass Effect 3 version on my 360 and Fable JOurney, Ryse, Project Draco, when PC gets anything like those we can discuss it

loosingENDS

Ugh...too casual for me. The only thing on Kinect that intrests me is Steel Battallion and even that looks to be heavily CoD-ified unfortunately. Such a wasted opportunity.

I am mostly interested in Ryse, Project Draco and Fable Journey myself, Mass Effect 3 having Kinect suypport is a very nice perk though as well, a agree ME is a bit of a casual RPG too, especially after ME1

Steel Batallion could be good too, From is a great developer

I think you should be worried far more about Fable Journey being casual than about ME3

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#303 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]Ugh...too casual for me. The only thing on Kinect that intrests me is Steel Battallion and even that looks to be heavily CoD-ified unfortunately. Such a wasted opportunity.

AdrianWerner

I am mostly interested in Ryse, Project Draco and Fable Journey myself, Mass Effect 3 having Kinect suypport is a very nice perk though as well, a agree ME is a bit of a casual RPG too, especially after ME1

Steel Batallion could be good too, From is a great developer

I think you should be worried far more about Fable Journey being casual than about ME3

Trust me, i know what i get with Fable JOurney, i just love the art and feeling and is something fresh i want to try, that is all

It is not in any way, shape or form meant as a replacement for other RPGs of course

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts

[QUOTE="starjet905"]Your PC, if your specs are right, can't even run the game properly (by properly I mean with at least 20 to 25FPS, though optimally, 30FPS is required) at 1024x768.loosingENDS

It played fine and smooth on low settings and 1024, anything above had slowdowns though

By smooth, what kinda framerates?

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"][QUOTE="starjet905"]Your PC, if your specs are right, can't even run the game properly (by properly I mean with at least 20 to 25FPS, though optimally, 30FPS is required) at 1024x768.starjet905

It played fine and smooth on low settings and 1024, anything above had slowdowns though

By smooth, what kinda framerates?

I dont know, but was smooth, which mean it played fine

Definatly above 25fps is my guess

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

[QUOTE="starjet905"][QUOTE="wis3boi"] - plug PC into TV - plug controller into PC - argument invalidlowe0

Consolites will ALWAYS ignore this and come up with the OMG LIVING ROOM, OMG BIG TV, OMG COUCH, OMG CONTROLLER arguments no matter what we say and how many times we say it.

Plugging a PC into a TV is easy now, but that still doesn't get you a UI that can be navigated with just a controller or native controller support in 100% of games ("most" is not good enough). Just because you can plug something in doesn't mean it works the same way.

Of course you won't get gamepad support in all games but let me ask you who in the right mind wants to play RTS, Certain MMOs, non racing sims with a gamepad.

Just to name a few games that are out or upcoming that will support controllers

The Witcher 2

Hard Reset

Batman Arkham Asylum

Batman Arkham City

Bastion

Blur

Crysis 1

Crysis Warhead

Crysis 2

Call of Duty 4

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

Call of Duty Black Ops

Deus Ex Human Revolution

Darksiders

Devil May Cry 3

Devil May Cry 4

Dungeon Seige 3

Dark Sector

GTA IV

Trackmania 2

Trackmania Nations Forever

Metro 2033

Rage

BulletStorm

Serious Sam 3

Saint Rows Thid

NBA2k12

GRID

Dead Island

Sonic Generations

Dead Rising 2

The Haunted: Hells Reach

Portal

Portal 2

Tropico 4

LIMBO

Might & Magic Clash of Heroes

Left 4 Dead

Left 4 Dead 2

Duke Nukem Forever

Half-Life 2

Street Fighter

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition

Rusty Hearts

Call of Juarez: The Cartel

TeamFortress 2

Fallout 3

Fallout New Vegas

Super Meat boy

Bioshock

E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy

Fable 3

Chantelise

Jamestown

Magicka

Just Cause 2

FEAR 3

Monday Night Combat

Virtua Tennis 4

F1 2010

Resident Evil 5

Pyschonauts

Toebe's Vertical Adveture

Red Faction Armageddon

Tom Clany's Splinter Cell Conviction

Homefront

Reccettear: An Item shops tale

Spiral Knights

Lara Croft and The Guardian of light

MLB 2k11

StarWars the force unleashed II

Assassin's Creed

Tomb Raider Anniversary

The Ball

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#307 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="Maddie_Larkin"]

Id rather sya that they move in Tandem.

PC usually have a steady evolution across several years, its not a jump but rather a constant, so it can be hard to see it, if you do no look for it specifically.

Then a Console comes out gathers what the last 5 (randum number) of years of PC development have yielded, and puts into a console finetuning the development, and it creates a leap from th last console generation, altho the PC would have similar looking games at that point.

Then consoles begin to stagnate, while the PC side of games keeps slowly evolving, just like now. We see the PC putting out that this gen of consoles are not at all capable off, then the next gen of consoels, will take this stuff it into thier next box, and make a leap again from the last console.

This cycle generally is how the industry seems to work. this is why consoles seem to move in "leaps" while the PC is seeminginglyalmost organically evolving.

The main problem becomes when you see something like this console generation, where most games are multiplat, and thus the PC can only evolve through exclusives. Since multiplats must be built so they can in some way or form scale back so it can fit on console. But that scaling comes at a huge expence.

If the industry continues to do this, the PC will stop evolving, because it is a prisoner of the consoles hardware, and the consoles will not be able to "leap a generation" because there has been no development on the PC, hardware AND software wise.

If that happens gaming really grind to a halt, there will be no next console, because it would be pointless, and hardwarewise, the PC industry would almost die out, since new hardware would not be sought after.

So basicly what we usually sees is this tandem development, but what we may see is that gaming will stop evolving entirely. Stagnate so hard that it will all crumble. I think this is part of why you see so many devs begin to work with PC as lead or exclusive again, to push tech, and what we think we are able to do.

wow... an intelligent response... thank you friend. I knew the rest would just get defensive, because thats what they do. in response, yeah, thats how I see it, a tandem development, but with emphasis placed upon console cycle as opposed to PC. As I said, if there is a separation in gameplay design from PC to console and the PC is trully offering the ''must have" experience, then yeah, im on board... In todays gaming climate however, the next big "change" or "evolution" in gaming will be the new consoles.

your last sentence is exactly what he was saying. baisicly everything else youre looking for is just a differentiation in the control as thats the only thing that doesnt really change much on the pc but even then, it now also supports motion based gaming. everything else, has been done before on the pc. everything that consoles are doing now. seriously what more do you need out of the pc? because if you read his statement carefully the changes in software change on a more constant level instead of by leaping from one gen to the next....the only other thing left is the controls. and like i said, the pc has that covered...and on a much wider range.
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 slvrraven9

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

modsTheEroica

Keep going, buddy.

um, mods? I personally would rather game with my feet than a mouse and keyboard, but thats a preference thing...

then use a controller. you know you can also do that on the PC and still have the superior experience on the pc in virtually ever other category

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 slvrraven9
[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

Consolites will ALWAYS ignore this and come up with the OMG LIVING ROOM, OMG BIG TV, OMG COUCH, OMG CONTROLLER arguments no matter what we say and how many times we say it. starjet905
Plugging a PC into a TV is easy now, but that still doesn't get you a UI that can be navigated with just a controller or native controller support in 100% of games ("most" is not good enough). Just because you can plug something in doesn't mean it works the same way.

Of course you won't get gamepad support in all games but let me ask you who in the right mind wants to play RTS, Certain MMOs, non racing sims with a gamepad.

Just to name a few games that are out or upcoming that will support controllers

The Witcher 2

Hard Reset

Batman Arkham Asylum

Batman Arkham City

Bastion

Blur

Crysis 1

Crysis Warhead

Crysis 2

Call of Duty 4

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

Call of Duty Black Ops

Deus Ex Human Revolution

Darksiders

Devil May Cry 3

Devil May Cry 4

Dungeon Seige 3

Dark Sector

GTA IV

Trackmania 2

Trackmania Nations Forever

Metro 2033

Rage

BulletStorm

Serious Sam 3

Saint Rows Thid

NBA2k12

GRID

Dead Island

Sonic Generations

Dead Rising 2

The Haunted: Hells Reach

Portal

Portal 2

Tropico 4

LIMBO

Might & Magic Clash of Heroes

Left 4 Dead

Left 4 Dead 2

Duke Nukem Forever

Half-Life 2

Street Fighter

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition

Rusty Hearts

Call of Juarez: The Cartel

TeamFortress 2

Fallout 3

Fallout New Vegas

Super Meat boy

Bioshock

E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy

Fable 3

Chantelise

Jamestown

Magicka

Just Cause 2

FEAR 3

Monday Night Combat

Virtua Tennis 4

F1 2010

Resident Evil 5

Pyschonauts

Toebe's Vertical Adveture

Red Faction Armageddon

Tom Clany's Splinter Cell Conviction

Homefront

Reccettear: An Item shops tale

Spiral Knights

Lara Croft and The Guardian of light

MLB 2k11

StarWars the force unleashed II

Assassin's Creed

Tomb Raider Anniversary

The Ball

my question to the guy would be, why in the hell would you want to use a controller on a game that wasnt built with control pad input in mind. :lol: even some console games dont have 100% controller support FYI. anyway, hence why RTS games are more popular on pc than console. same with MMO's because of the massive selection of key inputs. so no, controller support isnt required, or even wanted in 100% of games on the pc because thats not the way it was designed for use. while on consoles, the main focus (in most cases, is a controller)
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#310 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

It's like those big T.Vs. Most people buy 32" and lower, but there are those interested in the higher-end.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#311 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
PC games are higher risk of glitches..... even a mini flash games have lag...... eg: spider solitaire
starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
PC games are higher risk of glitches..... even a mini flash games have lag...... eg: spider solitairehippiesanta
Woah, you must be havng a really archaic computer. :?
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#313 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

If PC offered a new style of gaming that was a must have experience, id be first to jump, but again console development is what moves te generation forward.

TheEroica

PC does offer a new style of gaming that is a MUST have experience imo.

I have own consoles since atari and NES and own ps3 and 360 this gen, but to me PC is just in a world of its own, depsite what your thread says.

I might enjoy some exclusives on console but once its done its back to PC for 80% of my gaming.

Just because you dislike PC gaming or think its not doing so well does not mean others share your views, to me and amny others PC is a totally differnet experience from consoles.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#314 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
I really just wish games these days had mod tools released with them. I mean really. Just because consoles are unable to extend the fun, doesn't mean that the devs have to be lazy and restrain the goodness that can be expressed on the PC platform. I'm looking at you, Activision, EA and Ubisoft.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#315 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Its a question I've often wondered... folks be very passionate about how epic it is being a PC gamer as opposed to being a console gamer and I can see the hotness in having a crystal clear resolution and 60fps etc etc etc... but when all is said and done, is the juice worth the squeeze? This industry does not move in cycles based on the PC, meaning games dont evolve from generation to generation based on PC only games, but rather by the consoles... so in short, while admittedly the PC offers a premium performance for a premium price, my gameplay experience moves with the console generation and filters through or along side what PC is doing.

Now Im sure this will all be misunderstood by the system wars ilk, but I stand by it. If PC offered a new style of gaming that was a must have experience, id be first to jump, but again console development is what moves te generation forward.

TheEroica
Just for starters, the pic in your sig wouldn't be blurred like it is on a PC.:o
Skiveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#316 Skiveron
Member since 2003 • 211 Posts

You do NOT NEED it, but pc gaming has many advantages that consoles lack, and if you can afford it its definately recommended.

1) The indie scene is much better on the pc, other then trenched(which technically isnt indie) and explosion man I can't think of any indie game I like that isn't on pc.

2)PC scene has a mod community, Games like Just Cause 2 and GTA4(already a great game on consoles) are way way better with modding

3)I prefer the mouse and keyboard setup for many games, such as RTS. for games where controller is required, both the xbox360 and the PS3 controller(with custom drivers) can be plugged into PC. A great example is Dragon Age Origins, where the game due to over the top view tactical combat(and increased difficulty to compensate) was amazing on the pc due to controls and well, not so great on consoles.

4)Emulation : yeah you can debate all you like about the legality of it, But due to emulation almost the entire history of gaming can be played on pc and in many cases with better graphics and presentation and features.

5)MMORPGS so far as been mostly successful on pcs, and PCs have also amazing free to play games like League of Legends, which is an 9/10 game where you don't have to pay a single cent if you dont want to. PC also has decent library of 100% free games.

6)PC games in many cases have better game menus and features such as quicksaving.

7)For games that support it, and if you have the requried hardware, the graphics are much much better, like Bf3.

8)PC gaming due to digital distribution is actually cheaper in many cases compared to console gaming. Steam and likewise delivery system regularly features sales.

These are the reasons I can think of,If you are only interested in playing the latest games with a controller on a big tv I guess you do not really need a pc. but that would be very obvious and if you ignore the pc you are missing out on some great games.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#317 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

You don't need one, TC. You don't NEED to game at all, and there are loads of gaming devices out there. But the PC has advantages over other systems that make it attractive to some gaming enthusiasts, and you're surrounded by gaming enthusiasts here. In a Forum where the smallest differences between PS3/360 multiplats spawns hundreds of posts almost daily, it's fair to acknowledge the sizeable advantage a PC can give in graphics, performance, customization, and library selection (for starters) over its SW competition.If none of those things matter to you and if you're not one of those that obsesses about minor console differences and then tries to ignore the much larger differences between the HD Twins and PC then maybe the system of your choice is good enough for you, so be happy. :)

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

If PC offered a new style of gaming that was a must have experience, id be first to jump, but again console development is what moves te generation forward.

kozzy1234

PC does offer a new style of gaming that is a MUST have experience imo.

I have own consoles since atari and NES and own ps3 and 360 this gen, but to me PC is just in a world of its own, depsite what your thread says.

I might enjoy some exclusives on console but once its done its back to PC for 80% of my gaming.

Just because you dislike PC gaming or think its not doing so well does not mean others share your views, to me and amny others PC is a totally differnet experience from consoles.

What new style of gaming does PC offer ?

For one i prefer native pad controls in all my games and hate keyboard/mouse setup

Then 360 is getting Kinect that enables new ways in immersion and interaction in game worlds with its 3D full body scanner

If i had to choose the best style of gaming, that would be on 360, that also gets super hardcore games like Dark Souls and Witcher 2

Plus Mass Effect 3 with Kinect support

For me xbox 360 gaming is a huge step above PC gaming right now

with far more games i want to play, all PC games i want beeing on 360, console only games like Dark Souls, Halo, GEars, Alan Wake, JRPGs and the controls i prefer by a million times plus new inovative Kinect controls and immersion

madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#319 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts

The answer is simple. PC offers WAY more genres. We have point 'n click to RPG, RTS to city building, god games to tycoons, TB empire builders to RT empire builders, Simulators to squad based strategy, open source games to free to play. It's basically endless... We maybe lack a couple of unique casual games but 1000's of unique PC games way more then up to that.

PCalso have KB&mouse who pretty much anyone who tried both, for aconsiderable time, find superior... And if you still dissagree with it i have one word for you "hotkeys". How the f i'm supposed to play starcraft, civilization, diablo, total war, homm, xcom, etc, etcwith a controler? Even gta plays way better with KB&M imo, and i used to have a contoller in my hand 8 hours a day. And if you really want a controller buy one, any one, you have PS,XBOX, and much more controllers on the market.

PC expansive? Everybody has a PC you just need to invest a little more each year to play the games you play on high settings. Console gaming is more expensive, and thats a fact.

The thing is, the games i like to play, the games where you have to use your brain, are PC exclusive. Yep the games you never heard off because you like your couch to sit on it and relax while playing games. I like to sweat and work my brain.

nadersalem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 nadersalem
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts
coz consoles are made for video games and pc made for everything
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#321 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

PC games are higher risk of glitches..... even a mini flash games have lag...... eg: spider solitairehippiesanta
Computer must be beyond garbage...

The_Djoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 The_Djoker
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts
To play the masterpiece that is Witcher 2....oh wait.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

To play the masterpiece that is Witcher 2....oh wait.The_Djoker

Well, to play it the way it's meant to be played, yes.

The developers had a gameplay and artistic vision of Witcher 2, and the PC is it.

The consoles will get a bastardized version.

Enjoy!

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#324 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
To play the masterpiece that is Witcher 2....oh wait.The_Djoker
You're gonna need it if you want Witcher 2 in all it's full glory.