PC Gaming Is So Dead That 63% Of American Gamers Game on PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="CroidX"]

[QUOTE="lx_theo"] Given you're basing your entire argument on that one source that doesn't even give numbers for anything but one company, you are basically admitting to guessing.lx_theo

There are other sources I look up as well I don't feel like going to the website and posting those links its pretty much easy to find with a simple google search

Google Search 

If its that easy, then it should be easy to back up your own arguments and claims.

2010_video_game_revenue.jpg

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
So dead.
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="CroidX"]

:lol: lol people bringing up facebook games wonder how much of that made up the 20b revenue PC software sale made last year :roll: I guess fb gmes billions of dollars each year

CroidX

When you take out facebook games, PC revenue is still twice as much as *each console.  But it loses when you combine all 3+handhelds.

5vs1 ftl?

Except I highly doubt fb generate billions of dollars even big MMO like world of warcraft only generates a little bit over a billion people are just looking for excuses to downgrade pc gaming

fb games do generate billions in revenue, and that's by no means the only way to access casual/freemium games on PC.

http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2013/03/26/facebook-hits-250m-monthly-gamers-with-more-than-100-developers-generating-over-1m-in-2012/

(2bn paid out by fb to developers in 2012)

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]Okay, so it shouldn't be hard for you.R3FURBISHED

This really doesn't validate a single point, but just shows the discussion is a bit arbitrary.

[spoiler]

Leage of Legends has around 32 million active monthly accounts (as of Oct 12, 2012)
World of Warcrafts numbers have dropped since 2010, after Mists of Panderia launched, WoW was ~10 million subscribers 

As far as I can tell, we don't know "active" XBL and PSN numbers.

XBL is around 48 million accounts
PSN is around double that of XBL (but thats because people have multiple accounts)

---and we don't know how many PSN+ or XBL Gold accounts

R3FURBISHED

[/spoiler]

Of course its arbitrary, I'm just giving the hermits who are stupid enough to make grand claims a hard time since they base it on nothing but a few passing articles that don't prove it and their ego.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

Playing MineSweeper makes you a gamer now?

DrTrafalgarLaw

Get real. Do you think the Entertainment Software Association is going to count people who only play Solitaire that came free on their computers?

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

[QUOTE="CroidX"]

[QUOTE="lx_theo"] Given you're basing your entire argument on that one source that doesn't even give numbers for anything but one company, you are basically admitting to guessing.lx_theo

There are other sources I look up as well I don't feel like going to the website and posting those links its pretty much easy to find with a simple google search

Google Search 

If its that easy, then it should be easy to back up your own arguments and claims.

http://www.slashgear.com/facebook-game-developers-made-2-8b-in-2012-26275371/

Google Search  Google Translate  Wikipedia  Search YouTube  Search Amazon  Share Share:Google+FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditEmail  
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"][QUOTE="CroidX"]

Google Search Jankarcop

Old, and hurts his argument.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 lx_theo

Google Search CroidX

Google Search  Google Translate  Wikipedia  Search YouTube  Search Amazon  Share Share:Google+FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditEmail  

So you're own research show your guess is wrong. K.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

ITT: Hermits trying to get PC gaming acknowledged, how pathetic. Even moreso when nobody really cares about the state of PC gaming  gaming is dying.

:cry:

Jankarcop

More sales. 

More gamers.

More games.

More exclusives.

More developers.

Cry more :lol: 

How's that petition for GTA: V going? And the petition for RDR?
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Top concurrent users:

PC:

3million LOL

6million STEAM

1million WoW

Console:

2million PSN

3million XBL

9.png

I'm sure alot of people are logging in Steam to play Minesweeper.

Jankarcop

Steam for instance requires an online connection, so 6 million is their total user base.

But console gamers on wii, wiiu, ps3, xbox 360 that are currently playing but not online exponentially raises the console number. PS3 alone has sold 70+ million systems http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/16/playstation-3-sales-reach-70-million-units-worldwide/

Yeah thats great you have a combined total of 10 million people playing PC online at one time. Thats 10 million of how many billion people on the planet?

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 CroidX

[QUOTE="CroidX"]

[QUOTE="lx_theo"] If its that easy, then it should be easy to back up your own arguments and claims. lx_theo

So you're own research show your guess is wrong. K.

Ok what was my so called guess?

:lol:

&
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts

No I am not guessing because after looking at revenue on major facebook game publisher like Zynga http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-01-facebook-q1-game-revenue-up-12-percent-zynga-down-37-percent making it highly doubtful fb games make up huge percentage og pc gaming revenue like some people supposedly claim on system war

Jankarcop

Given you're basing your entire argument on that one source that doesn't even give numbers for anything but one company, you are basically admitting to guessing.

I posted a pie chart proving him right, would you stop making yourself look stupid?

You do realize that the pie chart you posted showed fb and other casual gaming portals accounted for $5.2 billion dollars (21% of total gaming revenue) in 2010 and that market has grown hugely since then. You actually proved him wrong, sorry.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="lx_theo"] If its that easy, then it should be easy to back up your own arguments and claims. lx_theo

PC makes more money than each console, when taking out social/casual games.

Alot of people in this thread are saying its solely due to social gaming, but its not.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="lx_theo"] Given you're basing your entire argument on that one source that doesn't even give numbers for anything but one company, you are basically admitting to guessing.JamDev

I posted a pie chart proving him right, would you stop making yourself look stupid?

You do realize that the pie chart you posted showed fb and other casual gaming portals accounted for $5.2 billion dollars (21% of total gaming revenue) in 2010 and that market has grown hugely since then. You actually proved him wrong, sorry.

PC makes more revenue than each console when not including social gaming.

The other fields grew too. By alot. 

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lx_theo

Ok what was my so called guess?

:lol:

&CroidX

You have quite a short attention span. This wasn't that long ago.
[QUOTE="CroidX"]

Except I highly doubt fb generate billions of dollars even big MMO like world of warcraft only generates a little bit over a billion people are just looking for excuses to downgrade pc gaming

lx_theo

"Highly doubt" just means you're guessing in the same way the guy you are criticizing did and admitted he was.

You just posted a link saying that are generating billions.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 kalipekona

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

You do realize the reason why it is 63% is because all of the people who play farmville while at work on their company computers count right? All the people who play solitare and minesweeper? All the people who play angry birds in their browser for free? All the free browser based kids games? Desktop tower defense? Bejeweled and other pop cap casual games that millions of moms play on their laptops also count. When a indie bundle of cheap little smart phone level games sells with like 5 or 10 games in it for a penny on humble indie bundle each of those games count.

Bottom line is the majority of "PC gamers" in statistics are people who play cany crush saga or games of thrones on facebook while at work, moms who play bookworm on their laptops, and kids who play angry birds or one of its million clones.

If you took away casual gaming PC gaming statistics would be under 10%.

How many games each year win game of the year awards and 100% completely PC exclusive games?

2013 http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/winners.html 1 pc exclusive

2012 http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/2012winners.html no pc exclusive games.

2011 http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/2011winners.html 1 pc exclusive

Well.....you get my point.

You are posting facts in the improper light. You take a very vauge and shadowed statistic with no break downs and you post it as absolute truth. The only fact is you wouldnt even be able to post your graph without middle aged housewives that are addicted to facebook and play chefville.

Jankarcop

PC = 30% (Take out mobile, casual, and social.)

Console = 43% (Including all consoles and handhelds, and all casual/social games for them)

PC beats out every single console. And thats with me taking out alot of actual PC games.

Jankarcop

Do you enjoy being proven wrong?

Oh and exclusives? PC has more good and above exclusives than all 3 consoles combined this gen...

:lol: I love how he made a bunch of unsupported assertions and then got proven wrong.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Jankarcop

Now that you guys are proven wrong, do you accept PC makes more revenue and has more gamers?

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lx_theo

Now that you guys are proven wrong, do you accept PC makes more revenue and has more gamers?

Jankarcop
And yet, one piece of old evidence is all you could get out of your sock drawer today. You do your hermits proud, lol. You'd think hermits would be good with computers... Who would have thought?
CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 CroidX

[QUOTE="CroidX"] You have quite a short attention span. This wasn't that long ago. [QUOTE="lx_theo"][QUOTE="CroidX"]

lx_theo

"Highly doubt" just means you're guessing in the same way the guy you are criticizing did and admitted he was.

I was refering to the 20billion dollars of revenue that was for pc gaming on 2012 on my first comment which he answered that would make it a small portion assuming it was counted on the data the pc gaming alliance collected

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

[QUOTE="CroidX"] "Highly doubt" just means you're guessing in the same way the guy you are criticizing did and admitted he was.CroidX

When I meant with billions of dollars I was refering to the 20billion dollars of revenue that was for pc gaming on 2012 on my first comment which he answered that would make it a small portion assuming it was counted on the data the pc gaming alliance collected

K. Say what you mean to say then. Because you literally said something different.
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 kalipekona

ITT: Hermits trying to get PC gaming acknowledged, how pathetic. Even moreso when nobody really cares about the state of PC gaming and nobody says PC gaming is dying. Dig up the last thread saying that PC gaming is dying, I dare you.

Hermits fighting imaginary foes again. And yes Steam has a lot of users, as a matter of fact...I have three seperate Steam accounts, mainly for trading purposes.

DrTrafalgarLaw

How contradictory. It's morons like you that even make it necessary to set the record straight. 

Oh, and I have 4 PSN accounts...your point? Comparing overall numbers of accounts is pointless. Comparing things like concurrent users is more useful. 

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

lx_theo

And yet, one piece of old evidence is all you could get out of your sock drawer today. You do your hermits proud, lol. You'd think hermits would be good with computers... Who would have thought?

But I present one peice of evidence which proved me right.

What did you present? Isn't it your turn now?  I've shown the obvious that social gaming doesn't make up a large % of PC revenue with a factual pie-chart, you have yet to show the opposite with any data.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#73 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Jankarcop
How about some sources, supported by links and not random charts, that aren't three years old?
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"][QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Jankarcop

But I present one peice of evidence which proved me right.

What did you present? Isn't it your turn now?  I've shown the obvious that social gaming doesn't make up a large % of PC revenue with a factual pie-chart, you have yet to show the opposite with any data.

You presented one piece of data that is 3 years old. It proved none of your claims. Try again, little hermit.

And I'll provide evidence when I make a claim of my own. Don't recall doing that so far. You're the one making grand claims without a shread of proof.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Jankarcop

Oh you're trolling. 

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 kalipekona

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

This really doesn't validate a single point, but just shows the discussion is a bit arbitrary.

[spoiler]

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

Leage of Legends has around 32 million active monthly accounts (as of Oct 12, 2012)
World of Warcrafts numbers have dropped since 2010, after Mists of Panderia launched, WoW was ~10 million subscribers 

As far as I can tell, we don't know "active" XBL and PSN numbers.

XBL is around 48 million accounts
PSN is around double that of XBL (but thats because people have multiple accounts)

---and we don't know how many PSN+ or XBL Gold accounts

lx_theo

[/spoiler]

Of course its arbitrary, I'm just giving the hermits who are stupid enough to make grand claims a hard time since they base it on nothing but a few passing articles that don't prove it and their ego.

And yet you haven't said a damn thing of value or proven anything in this thread. 

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 lx_theo

Oh you're trolling. 

Jankarcop
Nope. Just making stupid people prove their grand claims.
TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

http://www.shacknews.com/article/78421/report-pc-gaming-software-sales-reached-20-billion-in-2012

Good game :cool:

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"] [/spoiler]

kalipekona

And yet you haven't said a damn thing of value or proven anything in this thread. 

I haven't made any claims besides pointing out issues with other's claims, what would I have to prove? I haven't even said they're wrong. Just making stupid people prove their claims.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

R3FURBISHED

How about some sources, supported by links and not random charts, that aren't three years old?

The burden of proof is on you actually.  To both prove Social gaming is what puts PC ahead of each console (Which simply is impossible), and that the pie-chart I used was not a valid source.

Go.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Jankarcop

Just making stupid people prove their claims.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 kalipekona

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Not that old. And considering that every source we have seen states that PC gaming revenue has been going up each year, it only supports his argument more. Even without FB games the PC is a bigger revenue generator than any console.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 TheFadeForever

Jankarcop

http://www.shacknews.com/article/78421/report-pc-gaming-software-sales-reached-20-billion-in-2012

software sales :lol: I'm sure people start making up excuses

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Jankarcop

1cdb17dd-05bb-453b-8cdc-b1f0eb5e9dc4.jpgf

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 kalipekona

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

ITT: Hermits trying to get PC gaming acknowledged, how pathetic. Even moreso when nobody really cares about the state of PC gaming  gaming is dying.

DrTrafalgarLaw

More sales. 

More gamers.

More games.

More exclusives.

More developers.

How is it playing The Witcher 2, Alan Wake and Left 4 Dead on your PS3? Oh wait, you can't.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"][QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

kalipekona

Not that old. And considering that every source we have seen states that PC gaming revenue has been going up each year, it only supports his argument more. Even without FB games the PC is a bigger revenue generator than any console.

The point I was refuting was that he said facebook games don't make billions. Last I checked, that's billions. A more recent link (from him) was at an even high number. He also went onto say that he intended it to mean something that he ever said, so that conversation is over.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

DrTrafalgarLaw

More sales. 

More gamers.

More games.

More exclusives.

More developers.

Hows having far less games, 1/3rd the xclusives, worse gfx, 1/3rd the fps, worse everything jesus christ 

going?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#88 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"][QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Jankarcop

The burden of proof is on you actually.  To both prove Social gaming is what puts PC ahead of each console (Which simply is impossible), and that the pie-chart I used was not a valid source.

Go.

Attempting to convince you is like attempting to teach an elephant to fly.

Someone who still thinks Destiny is a MMO even when vehemently shown otherwise
Someone who will ignore points to the contrary regarding his remarks - your whole more people play LoL and WoW than use PSN and XBL (the point I brought up is that there is just insignificant evidence to support the claim)

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 lx_theo

Jankarcop
I see that you are mad. Now, can you please provide proof to your many claims in this thread so far?
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Top concurrent users:

PC:

3million LOL

6million STEAM

1million WoW

Console:

2million PSN

3million XBL

9.png

Gargus

Steam for instance requires an online connection, so 6 million is their total user base.

Are you a moron?

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#92 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

I think a better test is to look at the displays in stores like Walmart and Gamestop.

No disrespect to the PC but it's game section in most stores comes off as an afterthought.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#93 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59481 Posts

Like rats on a sinking ship they come over to the winning side, hoping to be accepted by the superior pc people.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 TheFadeForever

PC makes more revenue than any other platform :lol: but teh facebook games :cry:

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"] How about some sources, supported by links and not random charts, that aren't three years old?R3FURBISHED

Go.

Attempting to convince you is like attempting to teach an elephant to fly.

Are you saying PC does not have more gamers and revenue than consoles?

Because If you are, in a thread with several sources linked saying otherwise, you must like self-punihsment.

Do you sodomize yourself? 

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 TheFadeForever

I think a better test is to look at the displays in stores like Walmart and Gamestop.

No disrespect to the PC but it's game section in most stores comes off as an afterthought.

d_parker

many do not buy retail copies of pc games anymore its mostly digital like steam

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Jankarcop

PC makes more revenue than any other platform :lol: but teh facebook games :cry:

TheFadeForever

Actually, it makes more revenue than all consoles and handhelds combined. 

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 lx_theo

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Top concurrent users:

PC:

3million LOL

6million STEAM

1million WoW

Console:

2million PSN

3million XBL

9.png

Jankarcop

Are you a moron?

He makes a fair point. Even single player users will be counted for steam when that is not the case for Xbox, PSN, and Wii. Not to mention, it may count people who simply have the application open and are not playing as well for Steam. Many variables to consider. By the way, you have yet to provide any sources for any of those, so it hardly matters.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Jankarcop

d_parker

PC is digital now, and your "test" is stupid as these research groups do actual research and not sit at some stupid Gamespot.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 lx_theo

[QUOTE="TheFadeForever"]

Jankarcop

Actually, it makes more revenue than all consoles and handhelds combined. 

Source?