PC Gaming Is So Dead That 63% Of American Gamers Game on PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Proof needed. This industry has a history of drastic changes so a assumption based on a 2010 piechart is a folly.clyde46

Drastic change? Like what?

The explosion of the F2P model for example have drastically changed the way games make money.

I don't think "drastic" is the proper word to use there.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Fine there is no exact proof, I'm good with just saying PC has more games, sales, and games....without indicating exactly what kind of games.

I'm cool with that. Afterall, you guys get to count shitty yearly sports rehashes right?

lx_theo

Well, there could be proof. I can't say I know the data out there that is available. Like I said, I just wanted you to prove it. I didn't care if you were right or wrong, I just wanted you to back your claims because you made them and you made them grand with a lot of ego injected into it.

But I proved PC has more gamers, exclusives, devs, sales. So I wasn't able to say with or without "casual" shit because a lack of evidence after 2010 .....

9/10, not bad.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#203 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

More games and exclusives:

www.gamespot.com

More gamers:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/14/pc-gaming-is-so-dead-that-63-of-american-gamers-game-on-pc-beating-smartphones-and-handhelds/

More Sales and developers:

http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/1cdb17dd-05bb-453b-8cdc-b1f0eb5e9dc4.jpg

http://www.gamepur.com/files/images/2010/2010_video_game_revenue.jpg

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/03/06/gdc-2012-pc-games-raked-in-18-6-billion-in-2011/

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-03-28-pc-software-hit-record-USD20b-revenue-in-2012

Anything else?

lx_theo

First source isn't evidenceSecond source says console gamers are more Third source brings me to some random website. Fourth source is old. Fifth source established out of date data, with no mention of consoles or how they compare Sixth source establishes up to date information, but also makes no mention of how it compares to competition.

You are making a claim here. Now back it up.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#204 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

The explosion of the F2P model for example have drastically changed the way games make money.

What word would you use then? In the last year alone we have seen the rise of F2P, more and more games are turning to that model plus we are seeing old IP's as well as new ones using the F2P model from day one compared to the traditional $60 price point.
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 kalipekona

lol 'muricans :lol:themajormayor

:roll:

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

Yeah, they play farmville.  That's not a game.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts
Do not be mistaken that all these pc gamer are high end gamer, only very few. League of legend is not game that require monster rig, and it has record players. The blockbuster big game always do better on console however, because require stronger rig and average pc gamer does not fuss with swapping part. Red Dead Redemption doesn't even come yet, GTA5 maybe comes late, gears come late and never get sequel, developer treat with poor ports of other game. Developer concentrate so much on optimize of outdate console, that pc optimize suffer and then require stronger rig to run well. COD game, sports game sell a ton on console. Average PC gamer and average console gamer play different game. Asia is now huge in pc gaming, and pc Asia interest are much different to American console gamer especially.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

[QUOTE="lx_theo"] First source isn't evidenceSecond source says console gamers are more Third source brings me to some random website. Fourth source is old. Fifth source established out of date data, with no mention of consoles or how they compare Sixth source establishes up to date information, but also makes no mention of how it compares to competition.kalipekona

You are making a claim here. Now back it up.

Man, calm down. Like I said, the only claims I have made are in accordance with the showing the sources http://www.thefreedictionary.com/evidence There is nothing on the link provided that says anything about how many games, exclusives and such there are for each. Giving a general website does nothing to provide evidence.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"][QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Fine there is no exact proof, I'm good with just saying PC has more games, sales, and games....without indicating exactly what kind of games.

I'm cool with that. Afterall, you guys get to count shitty yearly sports rehashes right?

Jankarcop

Well, there could be proof. I can't say I know the data out there that is available. Like I said, I just wanted you to prove it. I didn't care if you were right or wrong, I just wanted you to back your claims because you made them and you made them grand with a lot of ego injected into it.

But I proved PC has more gamers, exclusives, devs, sales. So I wasn't able to say with or without "casual" shit because a lack of evidence after 2010 .....

9/10, not bad.

No, you didn't. You provided some links that provided no evidence, or half the evidence required to make a logical conclusion.
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 kalipekona

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Debunked because you don't like them?

What sources has the otherside come up with? Not even one yet...and not a WORD from you :|

You're getting trolled bad dude :lol: 

lx_theo

There are no "other sides" to any of your claims but the one involving social gaming, which would be trafalgar. He's also guilty of not providing sources.

And you didn't jump on him, nitpick him, nor ask him to provide evidence to back up his claims. This shows your clear bias. But we already knew that. Just looking at the stupid gif in your sig reveals how biased you are. 

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] The explosion of the F2P model for example have drastically changed the way games make money.clyde46

What word would you use then? In the last year alone we have seen the rise of F2P, more and more games are turning to that model plus we are seeing old IP's as well as new ones using the F2P model from day one compared to the traditional $60 price point.

How many devs have switched to using the F2P model for their library of titles?

How many platforms (consoles/PC/handhelds) have changed to support the F2P model for the vast majority of their titles?

I can't think of a single one.

F2P is just an additional market. One that devs support in addition to the retail market, the downloadable market, social/casual, etc etc. 

The only thing F2P drastically changed is the MMO landscape. It used to be dominated by subscription games, and now subscriptions are a dying concept.

As long as the retail, and digital market continue THRIVING, then it's a bit absurd to say that the F2P drastically altered the way games (outside of MMOs) make money.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 lx_theo

What sources has the otherside come up with? Not even one yet...and not a WORD from you :|

kalipekona

There are no "other sides" to any of your claims but the one involving social gaming, which would be trafalgar. He's also guilty of not providing sources.

And you didn't jump on him, nitpick him, nor ask him to provide evidence to back up his claims. This shows your clear bias. But we already knew that. Just looking at the stupid gif in your sig reveals how biased you are. 

I did. And he quickly stated that he meant something different than what was posted. As I did with the Hermit before him, I dropped it. The gif in my sig shows one bias of mine... I hate Microsoft, as a company. I avoid buying their products as much as I can. I grew up playing Sony and Nintendo games. I never got a lot into the genres that are generally exclusive to PC, but I use Steam regularly and respect the service immensely.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

kalipekona

Concluding bias as a result of a gif in a signature? :lol: Are you serious? :lol:
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 lx_theo
[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

[QUOTE="lx_theo"] There are no "other sides" to any of your claims but the one involving social gaming, which would be trafalgar. He's also guilty of not providing sources.DrTrafalgarLaw

Concluding bias as a result of a gif in a signature? :lol: Are you serious? :lol:

I didn't even have a signature for FOREVER. This is my first, I got early this year when I saw it and found it funny enough to place it as my sig. I've kept it because of how accurate it has been.
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 kalipekona

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] From a piechart from 2010..... Keep trying, you might get it eventually.clyde46

You act like 2010 was ages ago. We have seen reports from different sources that console revenue has been down these past few years. We have also seen reports that PC game revenue has seen growth year over year. We also know that Zynga revenue has been way down. Do we have a single reason to believe that FB games have grown as a percentage of that pie chart? No. In fact, we have several good reasons to believe that it has probably shrunk. It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to make a rational inference about where things approximately stand now.

http://gigaom.com/2013/07/14/candy-crush-is-a-huge-hit-but-whats-next-for-its-developer/ The mobile and social gaming market is highly volatile. While companies like Zynga are crashing, others are booming.

Zynga is one of the biggest players.

You still didn't answer my question. Do we have any reason to believe that FB games have significantly grown as a percentage of that pie-chart?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Jankarcop

GOGOGOGURT

Waitin for a source, until then PC has more gamers than each console as that article states.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 lx_theo

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

Jankarcop

Waitin for a source, until then PC has more gamers than each console as that article states.

It doesn't say that
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 kalipekona

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

Haha I don't either. You would think that a majority of games are now free-to-play based on a comment like that.

Even on PC, F2P is simply one relatively small subset of games.

Most games still make money the old fashioned way.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

lx_theo

It doesn't say that

I know it doens't saythat, it shows it.

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts

A study carried out by the Entertainment Software Association found that even in the US the PC nearly matches all home consoles combined in terms of gaming use. Other studies have shown that overall revenue generated on the PC in 2013 is on track to outpace all consoles combined.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/14/pc-gaming-is-so-dead-that-63-of-american-gamers-game-on-pc-beating-smartphones-and-handhelds/

The fact that the PC is a highly thriving game platform isn't news to most of us, but for those of you still in doubt...well, there you go.

kalipekona
More people playing games than ever before! What's not to love? PC vs Console is the dumbest debate in gaming.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 lx_theo

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] The explosion of the F2P model for example have drastically changed the way games make money.kalipekona

Haha I don't either. You would think that a majority of games are now free-to-play based on a comment like that.

Amount of games =/= The issue of revenue being discussed Your counter to him as no logical followthrough Though, he would have to provide the evidence that F2P provided a drastic change as he noted in revenue within the section to legitimize his argument.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 lx_theo

Jankarcop

It doesn't say that

Nor does it do that. In fact, it shows consoles (with no distinction for either) being more than PC. It is not more than both combined. And in the case you are meaning each by itself... With no distinction for either, it does nothing to prove it has more than both since at least one can be more.
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#223 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

A study carried out by the Entertainment Software Association found that even in the US the PC nearly matches all home consoles combined in terms of gaming use. Other studies have shown that overall revenue generated on the PC in 2013 is on track to outpace all consoles combined.

The fact that the PC is a highly thriving game platform isn't news to most of us, but for those of you still in doubt...well, there you go.

LordOfPoms

More people playing games than ever before! What's not to love? PC vs Console is the dumbest debate in gaming.

Some people just gotta feel they have the best thing.  If it makes them happy to argue with others, who are we to deny them their happiness?

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts
Only jelly consolites think PC gaming is dead.
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 kalipekona

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

[QUOTE="lx_theo"] There are no "other sides" to any of your claims but the one involving social gaming, which would be trafalgar. He's also guilty of not providing sources.DrTrafalgarLaw

Yes, absolutely. It's the same as if I said, "I hate white people". It would be a clear indication of bias.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="lx_theo"] It doesn't say thatlx_theo

Nor does it do that. In fact, it shows consoles (with no distinction for either) being more than PC. It is not more than both combined. And in the case you are meaning each by itself... With no distinction for either, it does nothing to prove it has more than both since at least one can be more.

Horseshit. That graph shows PC has more than EACH console.

ESAGraph-670x407.jpg

One of the consoles would have to have a 85% lead for what you are saying to be true.  Now we know that is not true from console sales and xbl/psn users.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

Jankarcop

Hey it actually says there are more gamers on consoles fakeboy, and it doesn't state what kind of games they play.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

GOGOGOGURT

Waitin for a source, until then PC has more gamers than eachconsole as that article states.

Hey it actually says there are more gamers on consoles fakeboy, and it doesn't state what kind of games they play.

You have to prove that those games do not count. Until then PC has more gamers than EACH console in USA.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 kalipekona

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

lx_theo

It doesn't say that

Yes, it does. The PC percentage is almost as high as the percentage for all consoles combined. It would literally be impossible, given what we know about the relative market shares of each console, for the PC not to be higher than any one console.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 lx_theo

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="kalipekona"]

kalipekona

Yes, absolutely. It's the same as if I said, "I hate white people". It would be a clear indication of bias.

Except that the assumptions to gain from mine are well beyond the reality or what it even implies. Though, I'm surprised that you act so angrily against it. You even called it stupid without a second thought. It makes no mention of PCs or hermits, so it should hurt you. Perhaps you have other allegiances? Like Microsoft? Or maybe you hate Nintendo or Sony? Not enough evidence to say.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Waitin for a source, until then PC has more gamers than eachconsole as that article states.

Jankarcop

You have to prove that those games do not count. Until then PC has more gamers than EACH console in USA.

Okay that's true, but it doesn't prove much.  Bottome line: there are more console gamers than PC gamers, according to that graph.

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts
dead_computer.gif.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 lx_theo

Jankarcop

ESAGraph-670x407.jpg

One of the consoles would have to have a 85% lead for what you are saying to be true.  Now we know that is not true from console sales and xbl/psn users.

No, it doesn't show or say that. Prove that there is no overlap between consoles for those people. Prove that, with or without overlap, that one single one cannot be higher. Then your statement will had a shred of validity.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Jankarcop

For you slow people

866q.png

No, it doesn't show or say that. Prove that there is no overlap between consoles for those people. Prove that, with or without overlap, that one single one cannot be higher. Then your statement will had a shred of validity.

For this to be true, one of the consoles would have to have a 90% higher users in USA than the others.  This is basically impossible given USA console sales. You know this. You have to show me facts proving that, because your claim is simply wild and practically impossible.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 kalipekona

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

LordOfPoms

My point wasn't to down consoles. It was only to show what a thriving gaming platform the PC is.

I will argue what I believe to be the advantages of the PC, but I also believe the consoles have certain advantages. It really comes down to your needs. But that isn't what is being discussed here. We'll leave that for other threads.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 lx_theo

For you slow people

866q.png

Jankarcop
Again... Prove there is no overlap in consoles (as in, people who play bmultiple, so you're not splitting that percentage between just one console)... Prove that with, or without, that overlap, that there's no way a single console can be enough to top PC.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

GOGOGOGURT

Okay that's true, but it doesn't prove much.  Bottome line: there are more console gamers than PC gamers, according to that graph.

This isn't 3vs1 Wars. Nice try though.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

For you slow people

866q.png

lx_theo

Again... Prove there is no overlap in consoles (as in, people who play bmultiple, so you're not splitting that percentage between just one console)... Prove that with, or without, that overlap, that there's no way a single console can be enough to top PC.

What you are suggesting has to be proven. That overlap idea is your claim.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 kalipekona

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

lx_theo

Amount of games =/= The issue of revenue being discussed Your counter to him as no logical followthrough Though, he would have to provide the evidence that F2P provided a drastic change as he noted in revenue within the section to legitimize his argument.

No, we would first have to define "drastic change". Then we would have to follow up with data showing that the free-to-play model's impact on gaming fits that definition.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 lx_theo

For this to be true, one of the consoles would have to have a 90% higher users in USA than the others.  This is basically impossible given USA console sales. You know this. You have to show me facts proving that, because your claim is simply wild and practically impossible.

Given overlap of ownership and playing, it is very possible. There's no logical way to say its not.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 lx_theo

For you slow people

866q.png

Jankarcop

What you are suggesting has to be proven. That overlap idea is your claim.

No, the overlap is not my claim. Its imply something you are ignoring in your claim that you cannot ignore in order to show it is true.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Jankarcop

That is your claim, you'll have to prove it.  

What I am saying is not a claim, it is merely shown on the graph.  The article has no mention of overlap, it is completel YOUR idea.

PC has more users than each Console, until you show more evidence.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

PC is just dying backwards.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"][QUOTE="kalipekona"]

kalipekona

No, we would first have to define "drastic change". Then we would have to follow up with data showing that the free-to-play model's impact on gaming fits that definition.

Drastic change obviously means something that causes significant changes to the trending behavior of the market. Its been established already. Sorry if you missed it. Like I already said, all would be needed is data one way or the other now.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 lx_theo

That is your claim, you'll have to prove it.  

What I am saying is not a claim, it is merely shown on the graph.  The article has no mention of overlap, it is completel YOUR idea.

PC has more users than each Console, until you show more evidence.

Jankarcop
My claim is that people are capable of owning and playing multiple consoles. I can prove it through first hand experience. Your claim is not shown on the graph. You are making assumptions based on it. Circumstantial evidence again. You;re just doing the exact same thing again with your never ending lack of any logical capability.
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 kalipekona

Jankarcop

ESAGraph-670x407.jpg

Actually one console would have to have more like a 93% market share for the PC percentage not to be greater than any one console. I know you were just estimating. I'm just pointing out that it's even more impossible.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Jankarcop

There is no mention of overlap in that chart or article.

It is completley your theory, idea, or claim.  It is your duty to prove it exists in that particular data set.

Until then, only the presented data counts, and that data shows PC has more Gamers than each console.  

So this thread proves PC has more : Sales, Gamers, Devs, Games, Exclusives. I'm loving it.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 lx_theo

It is completley your theory, idea, or claim.  It is your duty to prove it exists in that particular data set.

Until then, only the presented data counts, and that data shows PC has more Gamers than each console.  

Jankarcop
No, its not my duty. My duty is to prove my claim, which I already did. People are capable of owning and playing multiple consoles, proven by first hand experience. And since the data asks about consoles only, those people who do are counted in that group. Now its your turn to account for all variables that apply to your statement. It cannot be proven without accounting for those variables. Right now, you just sit on circumstantial evidence, and a large assumption. Like you did before. I recall that ending in saying you can't prove it.
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 kalipekona

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"] Concluding bias as a result of a gif in a signature? :lol: Are you serious? :lol:lx_theo

Except that the assumptions to gain from mine are well beyond the reality or what it even implies. Though, I'm surprised that you act so angrily against it. You even called it stupid without a second thought. It makes no mention of PCs or hermits, so it should hurt you. Perhaps you have other allegiances? Like Microsoft? Or maybe you hate Nintendo or Sony? Not enough evidence to say.

I think hating any gaming company or platform outright is irrational. They offer products and services and we can choose to buy them or not. 

I understand having preferences and even arguing the merits of one over the others, but I don't hate any of them. I think they all add something positive to gaming.

I don't plan to buy a Wii U or an Xbox One at this point based on my needs and what has been shown so far, but I don't begrudge them or the people that choose to game on them. Because my main platform is the PC, a console simply needs to offer enough exclusive games to make it worth my while. So far, I believe the PS4 will be the best bet. 

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

lx_theo

No, its not my duty. My duty is to prove my claim,  .

You havn't proven your claim.  You must show that source is including overlap.

Until then, you have no place in this arguement. And until then, PC has more gamers than each console, as the chart declares.