PC Gaming Is So Dead That 63% Of American Gamers Game on PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#551 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] 1. Historically? Usually cost ("too poor for $599?") or occasionally cultural stereotypes (MS being the quintessential "'Murican" console). Nowadays? Not much, as the fight is extremely one-sided this far. 2. Again, that a bunch of hypothetical opportunities to draw distinctions go unused does not mean that no distinctions exist. 3. What the hell are you going on about? You're the one who's been attempting to redefine the argument this entire time.lowe0

1. So that's the only thing that makes console divided ? Or it's the only way you chose to see ?

2. Indeed, still doesn't explain why Alienware or Mac are more or less subject to scorn... there's a huge selection of what one can nitpick to scorn.

3. Really, what's the original argument about ?

1. The quoted poster stated that console gamers are divided. If you'd like to argue against that, take it up with him. 2. Are they scorned or not? It's still a yes-or-no question. 3. Whether the PC community is 100% unified in a way that console gamers aren't.

1. He also mention it was due because their a seperate platforme themselfs.

2. It's the same answer applied to any PC.

3. I don't think anyone said PC is a 100% unified. But they are way more unified then console.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#552 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

1. So that's the only thing that makes console divided ? Or it's the only way you chose to see ?

2. Indeed, still doesn't explain why Alienware or Mac are more or less subject to scorn... there's a huge selection of what one can nitpick to scorn.

3. Really, what's the original argument about ?

Bebi_vegeta

1. The quoted poster stated that console gamers are divided. If you'd like to argue against that, take it up with him. 2. Are they scorned or not? It's still a yes-or-no question. 3. Whether the PC community is 100% unified in a way that console gamers aren't.

3. I don't think anyone said PC is a 100% unified. But they are way more unified then console.

1. But he didn't insist that only divisions for that reason would count. If he had, it'd require a good explanation of why that should be the case. 2. Yes or no, please. 3. So it's not a problem, because they're a minority instead of an equal split? Wow.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#553 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Minesweeper and Solitaire are too advanced for console gamers anyway.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#554 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

[QUOTE="menes777"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

why do you continue this crap?

lostrib

I'm still trying to figure out WTF does it matter if he PC gamers are divided or not.  Console gamers right now have three factions, Cows, Lems and Sheep.  PC gamers are just hermits.  Yeah there is a bitter rivalry between PC and Mac but it's mostly in the non-gaming arena.  And Alienware users get a lot of crap from the PC community but it's not the same type of rivalry as between Cows and Lems.

here's what you need to know: Lowe hates the pc gaming community. The End

Pretty much, he got kicked from some servers for being a noob and hasn't let it go since.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#555 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

kraken2109

Sad thing is those are more of games than recent ps3 movie-titles have been.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#556 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
This irrelevant thread is still alive. LOL!! Please run the same poll and see what the % of American are gaming on consoles? lol!! What 88%? Stupid polls.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#557 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] 1. The quoted poster stated that console gamers are divided. If you'd like to argue against that, take it up with him. 2. Are they scorned or not? It's still a yes-or-no question. 3. Whether the PC community is 100% unified in a way that console gamers aren't.lowe0

1. But he didn't insist that only divisions for that reason would count. If he had, it'd require a good explanation of why that should be the case. 2. Yes or no, please. 3. So it's not a problem, because they're a minority instead of an equal split? Wow.

1. He didn't insist, but he sure damn mentionned... which you can't ignore.

2. Yes if this is in a general view, it will also applie to every other PC. No if this is about gaming.

3. Again nobody said it's not a problem, but atleast it's a single platform making things compatible with each other.

Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#558 Aidenfury19
Member since 2007 • 2488 Posts

How do they define 'gaming on PC'? Stats can be misleading, if they're including Facebook/Flash type games or people who just purchase the occasional game on PC then it makes the stats almost worthless.

Out of that figure, how many have a PC as their primary or sole gaming platform?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#559 lowe0

Bebi_vegeta

2. Yes if this is in a general view, it will also applie to every other PC. No if this is about gaming.

3. Again nobody said it's not a problem, but atleast it's a single platform making things compatible with each other.

1. It's not the sole way a community can be divided. It's certainly one inherent to the console market, but if the constraint is "only divisions that apply to the console market count", then that's a pretty transparent attempt to limit the scope of discussion not because it makes sense to, but because it benefits one party.

2. You haven't explained why something that applies to the general set (PC owners) doesn't apply to a specific subset (PC gamers). It's possible, but just saying it doesn't make it so, particularly in the face of contradictory examples (remember how Mac users were "welcomed" to the TF2 community?).

3. How does that make it any better to look down on people because of their choice of computer?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#560 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] 1. But he didn't insist that only divisions for that reason would count. If he had, it'd require a good explanation of why that should be the case. 2. Yes or no, please. 3. So it's not a problem, because they're a minority instead of an equal split? Wow.lowe0

1. It's not the sole way a community can be divided. It's certainly one inherent to the console market, but if the constraint is "only divisions that apply to the console market count", then that's a pretty transparent attempt to limit the scope of discussion not because it makes sense to, but because it benefits one party.

2. You haven't explained why something that applies to the general set (PC owners) doesn't apply to a specific subset (PC gamers). It's possible, but just saying it doesn't make it so, particularly in the face of contradictory examples (remember how Mac users were "welcomed" to the TF2 community?).

3. How does that make it any better to look down on people because of their choice of computer?

Please stop. You're making the baby jesus cry

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#561 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

lostrib

This is the part where you fantasize that I'm getting all, how did you put it, "flustered"?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#562 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] 1. It's not the sole way a community can be divided. It's certainly one inherent to the console market, but if the constraint is "only divisions that apply to the console market count", then that's a pretty transparent attempt to limit the scope of discussion not because it makes sense to, but because it benefits one party.

lowe0

This is the part where you fantasize that I'm getting all, how did you put it, "flustered"?

Just stop. You're hurting America

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#563 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Yep, thought so. Whatever does it for you, I guess.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#564 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] This is the part where you fantasize that I'm getting all, how did you put it, "flustered"?lowe0

Come at me, bro

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#565 lowe0

lostrib

Come at me, bro

LOL. Now who's getting all worked up?
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#566 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

This irrelevant thread is still alive. LOL!! Please run the same poll and see what the % of American are gaming on consoles? lol!! What 88%? Stupid polls. blackace

Just because you don't like the results? 

The ESA has a vested interest in understanding gaming trends and demographics. They aren't fanboys like you trying to skew things in favor of a particular platform or gaming segment. Their methodology is going to be as accurate as they can make it.

They polled American gamers to find out what platforms they are gaming on. Gamers are very very unlikely to say they game on the PC if all they do is play the occassional game of Solitaire or whatever. In fact, I am willing to bet their methodology took that into consideration and already screened for such things.

Should we take these results as the gospel truth? No, but they are evidence. When we have evidence coming from many different sources that all points to relatively the same conclusion we can take that conclusion with a fairly high degree of certainty.

The PC is a very healthy gaming platform. The numbers of gamers gaming on the PC and revenue generated on the PC outstrip any one console. These conclusions are supported by a multitude of different reports coming from diverse sources.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#567 kalipekona

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] 1. But he didn't insist that only divisions for that reason would count. If he had, it'd require a good explanation of why that should be the case. 2. Yes or no, please. 3. So it's not a problem, because they're a minority instead of an equal split? Wow.lowe0

I don't care about the kind of division you are talking about. It isn't relevant to the topic of this thread. 

I only brought up the kind of fierce rivalries that exist between fanboys of each console because someone (I think it was you) was acting like the divisions that exist in PC gaming somehow negate its status as a gaming platform.

My main point was that the term "consoles" doesn't refer to a single game platform in the way that the PC is a single game platform. When I see an advertisement for a multiplatform game like Assassin's Creed 4, I see it listed for PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Wii U. That's because each of those devices is a unique platform that requires its own software. You can't play the Xbox One version on a Playstation 4. Hell, you can't even play the PS3 version on the PS4.

This is the only kind of division that has any relevance to what we are talking about. Console gamers aren't united in some kind of brotherhood anyway. Even if we were talking about emotional rivalries that create the kind of division you are talking about, the console camps are just as divided from each other as the PC is from any one console. They are all separate platforms.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#568 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

kalipekona

I don't care about the kind of division you are talking about. It isn't relevant to the topic of this thread. 

I only brought up the kind of fierce rivalries that exist between fanboys of each console because someone (I think it was you) was acting like the divisions that exist in PC gaming somehow negate its status as a gaming platform.

My main point was that the term "consoles" doesn't refer to a single game platform in the way that the PC is a single game platform. When I see an advertisement for a multiplatform game like Assassin's Creed 4, I see it listed for PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Wii U. That's because each of those devices is a unique platform that requires its own software. You can't play the Xbox One version on a Playstation 4. Hell, you can't even play the PS3 version on the PS4.

This is the only kind of division that has any relevance to what we are talking about. Console gamers aren't united in some kind of brotherhood anyway. Even if we were talking about emotional rivalries that create the kind of division you are talking about, the console camps are just as divided from each other as the PC is from any one console. They are all separate platforms.

But the Mac is also a separate platform from Windows, and yet both fall under "PC gaming", as does Linux, and as did other platforms before MS' market share fully took hold. Likewise, when we discuss mobile or smartphone gamers, are they broken out as iPhone and Android every single time?
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#569 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

Not surprising!

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#571 kalipekona

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] 1. It's not the sole way a community can be divided. It's certainly one inherent to the console market, but if the constraint is "only divisions that apply to the console market count", then that's a pretty transparent attempt to limit the scope of discussion not because it makes sense to, but because it benefits one party.

lowe0

But the Mac is also a separate platform from Windows, and yet both fall under "PC gaming", as does Linux, and as did other platforms before MS' market share fully took hold. Likewise, when we discuss mobile or smartphone gamers, are they broken out as iPhone and Android every single time?

You're right, and Mac software is incompatible with Window's PCs so it does represent a different platform. But the Mac comprises a small segment of the market relative to Windows PCs. 

I'd be all for getting separate numbers for all individual platforms, including Mac computers and iPhone and Android phones.

Based on all evidence we have seen over the past few years, gaming PCs (non-Mac) represent a larger market than any single console.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#572 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

1. It's probably the main factor and you know it, you just won't admit it. Yes there's other reason, no denying that. How often do you see people making topics about how this PS3 is better then that PS3 ?

2. No... I`m saying it either applies to all, or applies to none (when talking about alienware vs other PC)

3. Choice of computers ? To me this is a none issue... because all computers are customizable. Even though it comes from Alienware or Dell, it`s still the same PC that could of been ordered in custome hardware PC store. If we`re talking on a hardware or software basis, then yes, there`s people who look down on others.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#573 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

1. It's probably the main factor and you know it, you just won't admit it. Yes there's other reason, no denying that. How often do you see people making topics about how this PS3 is better then that PS3 ?

2. No... I`m saying it either applies to all, or applies to none (when talking about alienware vs other PC)

3. Choice of computers ? To me this is a none issue... because all computers are customizable. Even though it comes from Alienware or Dell, it`s still the same PC that could of been ordered in custome hardware PC store. If we`re talking on a hardware or software basis, then yes, there`s people who look down on others.

1. So? I mean, really, so what? What impact whatsoever does how the console community is divided have on whether the PC community is divided? 2. I've already shown a couple of examples of these bitter divisions. Got any examples of the ones you're going on about? 3. And is it okay to look down on others just because of their choice of hardware?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#574 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Yep, thought so. Whatever does it for you, I guess.lowe0

Come at me, bro

seriously, bro? Come at me!

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#575 lowe0

Come at me, bro

lostrib

Can't be bothered. Already have my feet up.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] LOL. Now who's getting all worked up?lowe0

do you even lift, brah!

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#577 lowe0

lostrib

do you even lift, brah!

Not since college. As a tip, do not lift after arguing with your girlfriend. Unless you'd like to remember her for the next decade every time your rotator cuff starts grinding.
Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#578 Aidenfury19
Member since 2007 • 2488 Posts

[QUOTE="blackace"]This irrelevant thread is still alive. LOL!! Please run the same poll and see what the % of American are gaming on consoles? lol!! What 88%? Stupid polls. kalipekona

Just because you don't like the results? 

The ESA has a vested interest in understanding gaming trends and demographics. They aren't fanboys like you trying to skew things in favor of a particular platform or gaming segment. Their methodology is going to be as accurate as they can make it.

They polled American gamers to find out what platforms they are gaming on. Gamers are very very unlikely to say they game on the PC if all they do is play the occassional game of Solitaire or whatever. In fact, I am willing to bet their methodology took that into consideration and already screened for such things.

Should we take these results as the gospel truth? No, but they are evidence. When we have evidence coming from many different sources that all points to relatively the same conclusion we can take that conclusion with a fairly high degree of certainty.

The PC is a very healthy gaming platform. The numbers of gamers gaming on the PC and revenue generated on the PC outstrip any one console. These conclusions are supported by a multitude of different reports coming from diverse sources.

The thing is that without knowing the methodology the ESA used the statistic is almost worthless. Small differences in wording and methodology can result in HUGE differences in results.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#579 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

lowe0

1. So? I mean, really, so what? What impact whatsoever does how the console community is divided have on whether the PC community is divided? 2. I've already shown a couple of examples of these bitter divisions. Got any examples of the ones you're going on about? 3. And is it okay to look down on others just because of their choice of hardware?

1. Nobody said the PC community wasn`t divided, we`re just saying console is more divided for obvious reasons. And what you`re comparing are on very different levels.

2. The same examples can be applied to my PC vs a Alienware... or even Vs yours.

3. No, it`s not okay... nobody is saying that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#580 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Jankarcop

Sad thing is those are more of games than recent ps3 movie-titles have been.

For once, I actually agree with Janka on something...

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#581 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="kalipekona"]

kalipekona

Based on all evidence we have seen over the past few years, gaming PCs (non-Mac) represent a larger market than any single console.

...and what are they basing this evidence off of? graphics cards sold? help me out here.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#582 lowe0

Bebi_vegeta

1. Nobody said the PC community wasn`t divided, we`re just saying console is more divided for obvious reasons. And what you`re comparing are on very different levels.

2. The same examples can be applied to my PC vs a Alienware... or even Vs yours.

1. Did I say how much? No. I said that you were divided as well. Please place the goal post back where it was. 2. Then you should have no trouble coming up with a couple of examples. Hell, since you're saying it could apply, show me a case where you were treated the same way as an Alienware owner just because of your choice of hardware. 3. Given the nature of this forum, you'll certainly understand if I just flat-out don't believe you on that one.
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#583 kalipekona

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] 1. So? I mean, really, so what? What impact whatsoever does how the console community is divided have on whether the PC community is divided? 2. I've already shown a couple of examples of these bitter divisions. Got any examples of the ones you're going on about? 3. And is it okay to look down on others just because of their choice of hardware?lowe0

1. Did I say how much? No. I said that you were divided as well. Please place the goal post back where it was. 2. Then you should have no trouble coming up with a couple of examples. Hell, since you're saying it could apply, show me a case where you were treated the same way as an Alienware owner just because of your choice of hardware. 3. Given the nature of this forum, you'll certainly understand if I just flat-out don't believe you on that one.

I'm sorry, lowe, but the rivalries among PC gamers are nowhere near being comparable to the rivalries we see, say, between the Playstation and Xbox fanboys.

I own an AMD card right now, but I have owned Nvidia cards in the past and I don't care in the slightest if someone uses a different brand of graphics card than I do. Most PC gamers don't. Even the ones that argue about which brand has the superior cards at the end of the day still see owners of the other brand as PC gamers. The scale of the feuding between AMD/ATI and Nvidia proponents is miniscule compared to the fighting between Xbox and Playstation fanboys.

Put it this way, if you put a group of Playstation fanboys and a group of Xbox fanboys in the same room there is a pretty good chance that it would result in an actual physical brawl between the two camps. PC gamers have their opinions about which brands of PC parts are the best, and about building vs pre-built PCs, but these debates usually stay fairly civil. There are a few extremists, but they are a very small minority.

If I say I own an AMD card on a PC gaming forum, nothing almost ever happens at all. If you try to say you prefer an Xbox over a Playstation or vice versa on a game forum, you are nearly guaranteed to have a wall of hate come down on you from fanboys of the opposing camp. In fact, I have never had a single person bash my choice of video card on these forums, even though my system specs are in my sig and I openly bring it up in discussions. On the other hand I have been bashed many times from both console camps simply for defending a console that they hate.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#584 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] 1. So? I mean, really, so what? What impact whatsoever does how the console community is divided have on whether the PC community is divided? 2. I've already shown a couple of examples of these bitter divisions. Got any examples of the ones you're going on about? 3. And is it okay to look down on others just because of their choice of hardware?lowe0

1. Yes if you want to be as general as possible and not listen to the argument to which we started all this then, yes. But the rivalries are still not on the same level.

2. Well that Alienware user here seems to think all our PC cases look like shit because it's not alienware design.

3. Beleive me or not, that's not the point.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#585 lostrib

Bebi_vegeta

1. Yes if you want to be as general as possible and not listen to the argument to which we started all this then, yes.

2. Well that Alienware user here seems to think all our PC cases look like shit because it's not alienware design.

let it die!

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#586 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] 1. Did I say how much? No. I said that you were divided as well. Please place the goal post back where it was. 2. Then you should have no trouble coming up with a couple of examples. Hell, since you're saying it could apply, show me a case where you were treated the same way as an Alienware owner just because of your choice of hardware. 3. Given the nature of this forum, you'll certainly understand if I just flat-out don't believe you on that one.lostrib

1. Yes if you want to be as general as possible and not listen to the argument to which we started all this then, yes.

let it die!

Why ?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#587 lowe0

Bebi_vegeta

1. Yes if you want to be as general as possible and not listen to the argument to which we started all this then, yes. But the rivalries are still not on the same level.

1. So, yes. Got it. 2. That's about your case. Conversely, you didn't ask if there were any smart Alienware cases here. You asked about the intelligence of their owners.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#588 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] 1. Did I say how much? No. I said that you were divided as well. Please place the goal post back where it was. 2. Then you should have no trouble coming up with a couple of examples. Hell, since you're saying it could apply, show me a case where you were treated the same way as an Alienware owner just because of your choice of hardware. 3. Given the nature of this forum, you'll certainly understand if I just flat-out don't believe you on that one.lowe0

1. So, yes. Got it. 2. That's about your case. Conversely, you didn't ask if there were any smart Alienware cases here. You asked about the intelligence of their owners.

1. Sure if you ignore everything else.

2. Yes, and I'm sure there's some intelligent one out there aswell. Just like how theirs fanboys right ?