Ouch - State of Decay 2 gets 5/10 on GS, AVOID rating on Eurogamer. Also 7.5 on IGN. Buggy mess by all accounts.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@_SWAG_ said:

<b>lulz lemz hyped this to be the best zombie game n better than god of war but it flopped!! lulz $500 for a console to play old games n flops. this is a xbox even if it’s on pc it’s a xbox flop!! ps4 da best imho facts</b>

Classic _SWAG_ comment

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#252  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@tgob89: True, what I’m saying is pretty factual. Other than the Forza games MS’ first party output this gen has been totally mediocre. It’s a fact, not my opinion. Sure, you could argue that some people like these games but the fact remains that most people thought they were mediocre.

When lems and butthurt hermits try to downplay critically and financially successful PS4 games they come in from the position of dismissing these games because they don’t fit into their limited and narrow scope of what a good game should be. Despite the fact millions enjoy these games and critics love them, these clowns will pick on one aspect of these games they dislike and try to blow it up to make the games look bad. This wouldn’t be a problem if they kept their opinions to themselves or admitted they are a minority but the problem is that they try to take their opinions, and claim that their opinions are a fact and that people that disagree with them are Sony shills or dumb casuals.

When you and a very small minority dislike a game it's important to realize you’re part of a minority, and not try to impose your beliefs and opinions as facts on the vast majority that disagree with you. It’s important to realize that you can dislike a game and it can still be good. I don’t like RTS games but I don’t go around insulting RTS games and the people that like them. I just accept that even though I don’t like these RTSs they are still good games but just not for me. These fanboys and clowns lack the ability to do that kind of self reflection.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#253 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

Why are the cows talking about this game *so* much?

Are you guys totally out of your own games to play?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3

Best games lineup in Xbox history?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#255 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Pedro said:
@cainetao11 said:

I'm 8 hours in and still none of these catastrophic bugs Eurogamer told me about. Its SoD, bigger, more content, better melee and shooting. I'll be co opping tonight with buddies for the first time after they get out of work. I'll capture my next 10 minutes and post it. I'm not getting the bugs.

I was playing the first game with Gamepass earlier this week. Judging by the look of SoD2 it looks like a visual downgrade to the first. Is that the case in the final version?

Not at all. I have both installed and already compared them. It is clearly an UPgrade. Is it a graphics showcase? Hell no, but it looks better than the first.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#256 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@kuu2: I don't know. All I know is what I am experiencing. I don't speak for anyone but myself. That's why I don't trust anyone's reviews on anything. I play games myself because nobody is me so experience is the truth. I haven't had any major bug as of yet. Has my hand clipped through a car door a time or two? Sure. In GoW the camera just continued to spin around Kratos on the second night I was playing. I restarted it and it was fine, I don't sweat this shit. But the way Eurogamer made it out to be it was a completely broken game. Well I guess I have a magic X1X then because it works

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#257  Edited By LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1856 Posts
@navyguy21 said:
@quadknight said:

@navyguy21: I enjoy trolling dumb lems. They constantly bash PS4 games and overhype their trash. I warned them about bashing PS4’s “movie games” and overhyping their trash since 2015 but they called me an idiot and continued away.

Left to MS and lems we’d be getting mediocre trash and loot box riddled MP games only. To them narrative driven high quality games should go the way of the dinosaurs and I’m glad when I see their trashy games flop. Every MS Studios overhyped MP game that flops is a message to MS that they should focus on making quality games first, whether they be SP or MP games, and stop chasing stupid trends. What happened to the days when MS cared about quality first before they cared about “engagement” and lootcrates?

I hear you, but dont you think Cows (including you and your admission) are the same?

I never understood people getting some kind of gratification from other's misery or perceived misery.

Thats crazy.

What you just said is extremely childish and just.........wrong.

MS is struggling this generation, no doubt.

Why not root for them to be better? I agree that the unveil of Xbox One and up until Spencer took over that it didnt look good.

Spencer has made all the right moves (to me).

A lot of this stuff has been in development for a while so he had no power to change it.

I was rooting for Sony during PS3 and did the same for Xbox.

Why cant you (and cows like you) do the same?

Why kick people when they are down?

Cant we have a console war without all of the bullying and belittling?

System Wars didnt use to be like that

Here's the thing...

Microsoft has shown their ass during the beginning of the Xbox One reveal. They see the same future that EA sees, multiplayer always online games riddled with micro-transactions and loot boxes. I can't get behind that future. Sure they're on good behavior NOW, but only because Sony is spanking them.

Also, Microsoft fans make fun of Sony games and Nintendo games/consoles. So excuse me if I don't feel bad for them. If the Xbox One were selling Microsoft's initial projection of 400 million consoles, we would never hear the end of them insulting Sony and Nintendo. Yet we're supposed to feel bad because they're the butt of the joke? LMAO!

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

Xbox One is a mess right now.

You could even forgive a couple bad scoring games, but they have nothing going on for the upcoming two years compared to what the PS4 has.

Jippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 Jippo
Member since 2018 • 183 Posts

@boycie said:

A dreary, buggy mess apparently.

'None of that's nearly enough to save the game, however, even if you're new to the series. State of Decay 2 is a poor return on the scruffy promise of its predecessor, which topped Xbox Live Arcade charts largely, I suspect, for its resemblance to DayZ. It tantalises with the thought of raggedy everyday heroes pooling their myriad talents to survive, only to quantify and busywork all that out of existence. Its resource and scavenging elements are as suffocating as its social elements are underplayed. It's saying quite a lot that the bugs, in the end, are the things I remember most strongly about it - accidental windows upon an experience that is less sluggish and dreary and, well, less of a zombie.'

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-16-state-of-decay-2-review-a-soggy-open-world-loot-em-up-with-catastrophic-bugs

7.5 from IGN that's beat a AAA MLB The show 6.5 Gameinformer gave it

Jippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 Jippo
Member since 2018 • 183 Posts

plus played 5 hrs haven't saw any bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#261  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69488 Posts

@quadknight said:

@Pedro: ???? Says the sensitive company cheerleader that claims he’s being “attacked” because people point out the flops his console of choice keeps getting.

I see that I struck a nerve again. Try not to cry this time. Be strong Quad, you can hold it in.

randomHALT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 randomHALT
Member since 2006 • 141 Posts

I have game pass for PC so I will be playing it on Tuesday. The first had a ton of bugs and it was still enjoyable.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@jippo said:

plus played 5 hrs haven't saw any bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah...just keep spreading that "no bugs" experience you're having, maybe you can convince more people to jump in....

Loading Video...

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3026 Posts

We are witnessing the greatest line-up in xbox history!

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By QuadKnight
@Pedro said:
@quadknight said:

@Pedro: ???? Says the sensitive company cheerleader that claims he’s being “attacked” because people point out the flops his console of choice keeps getting.

I see that I struck a nerve again. Try not to cry this time. Be strong Quad, you can hold it in.

^ ^ ? Look at him desperately trying not to cry State of Decay flopped harder than Sea of Turds.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

My wife and I played for a couple of hours, started a game on PC, then she started one on the launch Xbox One. We couldn’t play Xbox One and PC together without purchasing a second copy, but it works between Xbox consoles, so we switched to Xbox One X and launch Xbox One. The game ran OK. There is a good amount of jank, but I didn’t see any game ending bugs or anything. Let’s allow these Youtubers to get their clicks and then the hate will die down. SoD2 is a resource management sim set in the zombie apocalypse. Playstation fanboys acting like this was M$’s answer to TLOU are being ridiculous.

Now Laser League, there’s a real video game. Lets talk about that one!

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Does this game actually have the ridiculous amount of motion blur I’m seeing in videos?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#268 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69488 Posts

@quadknight said:
@Pedro said:
@quadknight said:

^ ^ ? Look at him desperately trying not to cry State of Decay flopped harder than Sea of Turds.

LOL. You try so hard that its sad. All of these antics to cover up the reality that I make you cry everytime. Keep talking about the Xbox because we all know you secretly play it more especially Sea of Thieves, your favorite game. :)

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#269 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

Kotaku's review is really appropriate :

State of Decay 2, to be released May 22 for Windows and Xbox One, is buggier than a hot summer night in Louisiana. Even after a 6 GB update that came in while I was mid-review, I experienced freezes, disappearing and invisible NPCs, and many moments where I had to restart or relaunch. Even so, I had a grand ol’ zombie-busting time. It’s engaging, challenging, terrifying, and just plain fun enough to mitigate the frustration.

https://kotaku.com/state-of-decay-2-the-kotaku-review-1826086560

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 QuadKnight
@mowgly1 said:

State of Decay 2, to be released May 22 for Windows and Xbox One, is buggier than a hot summer night in Louisiana. Even after a 6 GB update that came in while I was mid-review, I experienced freezes, disappearing and invisible NPCs, and many moments where I had to restart or relaunch. Even so, I had a grand ol’ zombie-busting time. It’s engaging, challenging, terrifying, and just plain fun enough to mitigate the frustration.

? Butthurt lems still living in denial that they got a buggy turd.

@Pedro said:
@quadknight said:
@Pedro said:
@quadknight said:

LOL. You try so hard that its sad. All of these antics to cover up the reality that I make you cry everytime. Keep talking about the Xbox because we all know you secretly play it more especially Sea of Thieves, your favorite game. :)

? Weak comeback.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts
@goldenelementxl said:

My wife and I played for a couple of hours, started a game on PC, then she started one on the launch Xbox One. We couldn’t play Xbox One and PC together without purchasing a second copy, but it works between Xbox consoles, so we switched to Xbox One X and launch Xbox One. The game ran OK. There is a good amount of jank, but I didn’t see any game ending bugs or anything. Let’s allow these Youtubers to get their clicks and then the hate will die down. SoD2 is a resource management sim set in the zombie apocalypse. Playstation fanboys acting like this was M$’s answer to TLOU are being ridiculous.

Is it really just hate though or legitimate bugs that most will experience but not everyone will. It can be a bitch to invest on this type of game for hours and hours only to loose your shit, your best characters, that vehicle that you invest a lot to upgrade. Worse of it all losing your hours of save completely and having to start over. Should one wait for hate to die down or a legitimate fix is needed. There is a goal to the game nothing annoying like hitting your stride and get hit with a bug forcing you to start over. Is this Drive Club situation were yeah a few where able to play and enjoy it fine but real fundamental problem were there and needed fixing.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By tgob89

@ellos said:
@goldenelementxl said:

... Is this Drive Club situation were yeah a few where able to play and enjoy it fine but real fundamental problem were there and needed fixing.

Really really bad comparison bro. Say what you will about Drive Club but it didn't have any game breaking bugs.

In fact being buggy/broken had nothing to do with Drive Clubs lows scores, it had more to do with the lack of content and servers not being ready, Drive club was still a highly polished game even at release.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#273 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

Played if for about 3 hours last night on my Xbox one which is an original 1TB model and it's buggy but certainly not a completely buggy mess, i had one wall materialize in front of me, no crashes, no NPC's dissappeared and i did not get stuck on the Geometry once.

don't know about the flying zombies because i have not driven anywhere really, trying to build up fuel reserves

However, it has the same Janky charm as the original and the Pop in is quit bad with grass only appearing when you are mere meters away from it, reminds of Oblivion on that front and it isn't the Prettiest game.

they have also removed the ability to unload a whole vehicle just by parking which means lugging each rucksack from the car into your base and you can't vault over things or through windows like in the first so in a few ways itt's actually a step back.

Overall though i am pleased because it's what i wanted, a Better version of the first gam

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#274 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I played the game for several hours with 2 other people, not 1 game-breaking bug was encountered. I did encounter minor glitches here and there, similar to the first game I would say, I feel the engine is more polished than the first game overall but not by much. The jankiness is still there.

Some clipping here and there, and the most annoying bug sometimes was the flashlight that would flicker. Overall compared to the first game I'm satisfied, coop worked very well for me and one of the way I can say it worked well, is that for about 3 hours we played co-op 3 people and not 1 single crash. Many games I played in the past would crash at launch.

The easiest way to describe this game, it's really State of Decay with added co-op. The base works differently it seems, in terms of building stuff, but I was not the host so I don't know how it worked specifically(only the host can build). The graphics are a little improved, better color palette, and I thought it has a cool soundtrack actually. But overall it feels very similar to the first game.

I like how they approached certain mechanics for co-op. For example, you find containers that are different colors and the colors match one of the players, and only that player can open it....it's a different approach to loot sharing but I felt it kept players engaged. I think if you are a huge fan of the first game and want to play with people, you will probably get what you want out of this game. It doesn't feel like a big improvement from the first game, no....it's more of the same but it's fun playing coop now for me I'm enjoying it.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By tgob89

@mowgly1 said:

I'm not surprised xbox fans are saying they don't see any game breaking bugs, they seem to have the lowest standards for games than any other gamers today.

They defended Sea of Thieves for heavens sake.

I wouldn't take the accounts of any of these known xbox loyalist seriously when they make these comments about having bug free experiences.

Sony and Nintendo fans are used to games being complete and highly polished and are much less forgiving of technical issues in games.

To xbox fans a glitchy broken game like SoD from MS is an 8.0, to everyone else it's around a 5.0 because we have higher expectations for games and expect them to be competent and playable at the very least.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

The problem ms created for themselves is calling this a AAA title. There was never going to be a huge improvement over the first one. I wish they gave SOD 2 the budget and attention sea of thieves had.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

Can we all agree that gamepass is good for consumers but terrible to developers? I mean, with what budget will devs work to develop to the game when they'll receive almost nothing in return?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I agree 100% with this statement it's good for us but awful for the Devs who put in work to deliver the experience.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 delta3074

@tgob89:

@tgob89 said:

I'm not surprised xbox fans are saying they don't see any game breaking bugs, they seem to have the lowest standards for games than any other gamers today.

They defended Sea of Thieves for heavens sake.

I wouldn't take the accounts of any of these known xbox loyalist seriously when they make these comments about having bug free experiences.

Sony and Nintendo fans are used to games being complete and highly polished and are much less forgiving of technical issues in games.

To xbox fans a glitchy broken game like SoD from MS is an 8.0, to everyone else it's around a 5.0 because we have higher expectations for games and expect them to be competent and playable at the very least.

'I wouldn't take the accounts of any of these known xbox loyalist seriously when they make these comments about having bug free experiences.'

Except no one has said they have had a bug free experience at all so you are just being disingenuous, they are just saying they have not encountered any game breaking bugs and i have been playing it for 3 hours and i have not had a Game breaking bug either.

The Pop in is terrible, iffy draw distance and it's very Janky at times but i have not had a single Crash or Freeze.

If you don't want to Believe that thats your problem really, it's a budget game and as it satnds it's well worth it's Budget price.

If it was full price you would have a point but it isn't.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By ReCloud

If anything, this and battlefront 2 fiasco destroy Phil Spencer and Lems narratives and I am so glad that happened. Imagine if they succeeded in showing the world that, in fact, MP microtransactions fest really were the future of gaming as they were trying to prove to us? The public backlash is enough to show them that we'll not settle to these predatory practices, Nintendo and Sony Exclusives came in a VERY GOOD TIME and succeeded, showing those two companies that we want our games to be polished, well developed and microtransaction free.

You can do a MP game, but do it in overwatch or DotA fashion, don't do it like shitty SoD2 and battlefront

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 delta3074
@quadknight said:

@tgob89: True, what I’m saying is pretty factual. Other than the Forza games MS’ first party output this gen has been totally mediocre. It’s a fact, not my opinion. Sure, you could argue that some people like these games but the fact remains that most people thought they were mediocre.

When lems and butthurt hermits try to downplay critically and financially successful PS4 games they come in from the position of dismissing these games because they don’t fit into their limited and narrow scope of what a good game should be. Despite the fact millions enjoy these games and critics love them, these clowns will pick on one aspect of these games they dislike and try to blow it up to make the games look bad. This wouldn’t be a problem if they kept their opinions to themselves or admitted they are a minority but the problem is that they try to take their opinions, and claim that their opinions are a fact and that people that disagree with them are Sony shills or dumb casuals.

When you and a very small minority dislike a game it's important to realize you’re part of a minority, and not try to impose your beliefs and opinions as facts on the vast majority that disagree with you. It’s important to realize that you can dislike a game and it can still be good. I don’t like RTS games but I don’t go around insulting RTS games and the people that like them. I just accept that even though I don’t like these RTSs they are still good games but just not for me. These fanboys and clowns lack the ability to do that kind of self reflection.

'but the fact remains that most people thought they were mediocre.'

thats not a fact, it's an assumption and just your opinion, on what grounds do you claim this as a fact?

'When you and a very small minority dislike a game it's important to realize you’re part of a minority, and not try to impose your beliefs and opinions as facts on the vast majority that disagree with you.'

Yet, as i pointed out above, you appear to be fond of passing your opinions and assumptions off as fact quite often.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Played for 45 minutes so far and havent experienced any game breaking bugs. Just a bit janky controls. Im sure i'll experience some glitches as i get further but game environment is awesome, just starting with my first community and excited and mind racing on where i want to go and what to build.

I know Undead has patches/updates coming so not really concerned, only gripe is MS/Undead not using azure/dedicated servers as most of the glaring issues seem to be in Co-op, unless these patches can fix it, i hope MS and Undead look at Azure/Dedicated especially for being MS published Title, would think they do it justice like Sea of Thieves. MS backbone is xbl and cloud services so a bit mind boggling State Of decay 2 didnt get this from the start.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 tgob89

@delta3074 said:

If you don't want to Believe that thats your problem really, it's a budget game and as it satnds it's well worth it's Budget price.

If it was full price you would have a point but it isn't.

Eh The Lost Legacy and Ratcht n Clank weren't full price games either but they didn't have any of the above glitches or technical issues SOD has...so what now?

Like I said different standards and expectations for games.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Sooo, I've been playing it all this morning on my computer. It runs like butter on my i5 6500 and a GTX970. Not exactly a top of the line setup. Doesn't look great, though, so that helps. Only bug I've run into so far is the doors-looking-open-but-actually-closed thing.

Definitely kind of "meh" but we're having fun with the MP (which is how my friends convinced me to buy it)

Larsa_Ferrinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 Larsa_Ferrinas
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts

@Planeforger: "Why are the cows talking about this game *so* much?

Are you guys totally out of your own games to play?". Cuz it's so bad lol. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#286 deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

This game's concept looks very very cool, it has so much potential. I mean the criticism points are all valid, but nothing that can be fixed over time and added in with dlc. I hope the developers take notice on the game's faults, improve upon them and that enough copies sell so they can release a third iteratio. I will probably pick this game up as it's only 30$ and looks like a very original cool concept even if flawed.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@xantufrog: fake news!

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@tgob89: The comparisons may not be exactly the same but Drive Club issues forced the major part of the game to be closed for repairs. The selling point of the game was not about you could complete races offline. The major component was you joining up with your buddies creating a club then repping that club in online races. Those online races presenting different challenges opportunity for you to collect points during the races. Becoming a specialist of different challenges. The hammer came down for that game because of issues preventing most from enjoying that. If everything worked out a new solid arcade racer series with interesting MP would have been born for this gen. At the end it was sad sony sent the studio parking.

My point is that is there a risk for eventually most people will run into those progress stopping bugs for SoD2 or is just the usual janky bugs. Are people just hating on the game because they don't understand it as he was implying. Did the hammer come down for the game because people had to cope with these severe bugs.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#289 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

So ive played for a few hours and here are my thoughts.

1. Mentioning the motion blur as a negative seemed petty but it is absolutely warranted. Worst implementation ive ever seen. Maybe it works on a 30fps console but it is almost vomit inducing on PC. And there's no option to disable! I had to turn off in the config file.

2. There are some bugs, but honestly ive run into more with fallout 3/4 than i have with this. Gameplay loop is addictive and fun and introduction of factions mixes up the gameplay.

3. Upgrades and rpg mechanics are improved.

4. Still janky af!

Overall id give it a 7.5. A 5 seems crazy. MS missed an opportunity here. This game with its new world and faction mechanics and base building is screaming for a last of us/walking dead kind of story complete with cutscenes and betrayal. Would've been a system seller.

As it stands, it seems like they were content with just improving on the previous game and thats it in order to rush out the door. Sometimes a delay is good. Game could've used another 6 months but whats here is fun

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By ReCloud

@tgob89: I agree and being low budget doesn't excuse for lack of polishing, the lems just want to give it a pass because it's a MS published game.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@navyguy21: I agree. After playing it all day, I'd give it a 6 if it was only a single player game, because it's just not refined enough (and I'm not talking bugs) to have huge staying power. The narrative framework basically exists only to nag you into harvesting another building. If it was deeper... could be something really special.

But playing all day with some friends is a very different (better) experience. I think I'm at a "7" based on the solid framework for that. If it had richer base building mechanics (if this was a voxel-based world like 7DtD that allowed for proper construction!) it would be pretty insane, actually. But alas no.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts
@navyguy21 said:

MS missed an opportunity here. This game with its new world and faction mechanics and base building is screaming for a last of us/walking dead kind of story complete with cutscenes and betrayal. Would've been a system seller.

This is exactly what I thought after playing the first one. It's almost like they started to make a really good game then changed their minds and just put the bare bones mechanics in that were enough for it to just work and that's that.

Disappointing really that the sequel has no real narrative or direction to speak of and is just something for people to mess around in.

Nowhere near as bad as Sea of Thieves obviously but very similar in the sense it seems to be a game engine without an actual game behind it. I'll still buy it a few months down the road when the worst of the bugs have been patched out because I really liked the first one but it could have been so much more.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Xbox fannies railed against narrative driven gameplay and look what they get for their troubles. Lol! Couldn't happen to a better group of idiots.

Crazy thought. Try raising the bar rather than just making it easier to "achieve". People will take your platform more seriously.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By ReCloud

@Shewgenja: I don't think people will take the box seriously, I think they never did outside the US.

And everybody knows that the 360 was "successful" only because the ps3 sucked at the beginning and the box had one year ahead of advantage.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts
@Shewgenja said:

Xbox fannies railed against narrative driven gameplay and look what they get for their troubles. Lol! Couldn't happen to a better group of idiots.

Crazy thought. Try raising the bar rather than just making it easier to "achieve". People will take your platform more seriously.

You mean narrative and movie driven like Halo and Gears of War? Both are 'movie' games if they were released on PS4, but pure action games if they are on Xbox One.

Hilarious hypocrisy. State of Decay is a really good game 'idea' that was never realised. I still really like the first one, or the idea of what it was and so I'll play the second eventually.

I honestly think the dev team thought a zombie apocalypse playground was enough, no story or motivation or narrative required which is absolutely bizarre when you think about it.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11098 Posts
@recloud said:

@tgob89: I agree and being low budget doesn't excuse for lack of polishing, the lems just want to give it a pass because it's a MS published game.

The top scores from the Xbox fan sites on Metacritic shows how crazy and dishonest this fandom is. A game with gamebreaking and progression-killing bugs has no business being above a 50 on Metacritic. There are games that are technically sound that have scored worse than this game, and that's some bullshit. I'm honestly going to say that the Xbox fandom is the objectively worst of the console fandoms at this point.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 ReCloud

@BenjaminBanklin: I agree, that's the main reason M$ and Phil Spencer keep doing what they do, their fandom lacks self criticism and allow them to be ripped off.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 Shewgenja

@blueinheaven said:
@Shewgenja said:

You mean narrative and movie driven like Halo and Gears of War? Both are 'movie' games if they were released on PS4, but pure action games if they are on Xbox One.

Hilarious hypocrisy. State of Decay is a really good game 'idea' that was never realised. I still really like the first one, or the idea of what it was and so I'll play the second eventually.

I honestly think the dev team thought a zombie apocalypse playground was enough, no story or motivation or narrative required which is absolutely bizarre when you think about it.

Actually, you raise a damn good point. According to a good number of reviews I have watched/read, the game has good mechanics (bugs, notwithstanding). A story could really fit in this world. All things considered, with a lot more polish and a budget to flesh out a campaign, this could be a great property for the XBox... It's just... They don't invest. I'd be happy to pay full retail price for a game like this that was pushed to its conclusion. This COULD be a really great game. Why isn't it?

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 ReCloud

@Shewgenja: why would they? It's pretty clear that Lems don't like SP story driven games.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By Shewgenja

@recloud said:

@Shewgenja: why would they? It's pretty clear that Lems don't like SP story driven games.

Now, take this as some constructive criticism, but like I would like to think that Xbox leadership has grown weary of what they can leverage on the sycophantic. If their business model is just to strip mine the weak of mind, they will eventually face the pitchforks and torches. I have faith that they are at least aware of that. Being a single market console for all intents and purposes has to make me think that they have a mind to expand. Americans are the prototypical dummies to fall prey to marketing and razzle dazzle. That makes them too easy a target for the PS5 and the Switch. Both Sony and Nintendo could very well focus their marketing efforts on the US and that would be endgame. Xbox leadership, I certainly pray, is aware of this reality.