How long will it take for PC to catch up to Xbox One X?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I think PCs already have. And this is from someone who's pretty excited about the X1X.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 Antwan3K  Online
Member since 2005 • 8075 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@Antwan3K said:
@kuu2 said:

@Zero_epyon: The only ones I see taking bait are your fellow Bovine and it's delicious.

outside of maybe Ron, they seem to be the only ones on this forum that keep bringing up comparisons to GTX 1070s and talk of "4K/60fps on Ultra in all games".. seems hilariously ironic that they are also the only ones that fell for this troll bait..

I just repeated the arguments made by ARC Survival developer and DF.

I made X1X estimates from R9-390X's results with additional GPU improvements e.g. RBE with large cache, Polaris DCC, Polaris culling, higher clock speed for non-CU and 'etc'. Each improvements targets a particular weakness with Hawaii GPU.

Transistor count difference between X1X’s GPU and RX-480/RX-580

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview

RX-480/RX-580 has 5.7 billion transistors.

R9-290X/R9-390X has 6.2 billion transistors.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/microsofts-scorpio-system-on-chip/

Xbox One X GPU has 7 billion transistors which points to GPU design not being RX-480/RX-580. X1X's GPU is slightly fatter Hawaii GCN with Polaris/Vega updates i.e. it's effectively the missing RX-490.

oh, I realize that.. for the most part you've been quoting comments from developers or Digital Foundry.. cows don't seem to understand what "context" means these days though so, in fairness, I had to mention your name..

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#203 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Pc´s as already caught up.

The Xbox one X is nothing new , and while it´s a powerful console.

If you have a decent pc , there is no reason to get a Xbox one X.

Anything that comes on the xbox will come to the pc.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#204 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Pc´s as already caught up.

The Xbox one X is nothing new , and while it´s a powerful console.

If you have a decent pc , there is no reason to get a Xbox one X.

Anything that comes on the xbox will come to the pc.

No one's doubting that PC can be more powerful that the X1X

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#205 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@Jacanuk: So you have a $500 PC with comparable performance?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

:P

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@ronvalencia said:

Tormentos attacked me and started a poster war. I'm saying the opposite from Tormentos BS about me. It will NOT take 600 years for PC APUs to catch up to X1X.

NO i was joking but you are so into defending the xbox one X that you simply didn't get it..hahahahahaa

You really are a machine or simply lack the most basic knowledge about conversational English.

You actually took my 600 years joke as true and you refute it....Hahahahahaaha

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 tormentos

@ronvalencia said:

I made X1X estimates from R9-390X's results with additional GPU improvements e.g. RBE with large cache, Polaris DCC, Polaris culling, higher clock speed for non-CU and 'etc'. Each improvements targets a particular weakness with Hawaii GPU.

Xbox One X GPU has 7 billion transistors which points to GPU design not being RX-480/RX-580. X1X's GPU is slightly fatter Hawaii GCN with Polaris/Vega updates i.e. it's effectively the missing RX-490.

Hahahahaa transistors wars...lol

Last i remember there was a console with 5 billion transistor that got spanked by another console with much less transistors..lol

The RX580 is just a GPU the SOC for scorpio is 7 billion transistors they are not comparable,the same crap was say about the xbox one already with its 5 billion transistor crap...lol

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

There's no way there's a 1070 in the X1X that thing cost roughly 400 or more depending on where you shop. In order to put something like that in and make a profit Microsoft would have to charge roughly 800

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

@tormentos said:
@ronvalencia said:

Tormentos attacked me and started a poster war. I'm saying the opposite from Tormentos BS about me. It will NOT take 600 years for PC APUs to catch up to X1X.

NO i was joking but you are so into defending the xbox one X that you simply didn't get it..hahahahahaa

You really are a machine or simply lack the most basic knowledge about conversational English.

He's incapable of understanding that some things should not be taken literally. I understand now why he has so much trouble with human communication.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@drlostrib said:
@zaryia said:

Doesn't matter, I only have to upgrade my PC for $500, not buy a new one.

then you're in the wrong thread

You can't use the full extent of XB1X's hardware without XBL.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Zaryia

@drlostrib said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@drlostrib:

£450 in the UK.

for £700 you can build a PC with an i7 8 threads, 1070 GTX and a good size SSD...

So it's going to be a while before they're about the same price?

You will start saving money on a PC after 3-4 years (and every gen after that), due to being able to upgrade vs buying XB2X + XBL.

But yes, as a 100% brand new PC gamer it will be more costly at first.

Entirely new superior products cost more. Double the fps alone is worth it.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 DrLostRib

@zaryia said:
@drlostrib said:
@zaryia said:

Doesn't matter, I only have to upgrade my PC for $500, not buy a new one.

then you're in the wrong thread

You can't use the full extent of XB1X's hardware without XBL.

what part of its hardware is inaccessible?

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

@xboxiphoneps3: No, no, no, and no.

The market will readjust for miners. Either when supply meets demand, or when the inevitable amount of miner abused cards flood the second hand market. Or the mining industry becomes inaccessible to amateurs once again (as bitCoin did).

Even when AMD wasn't competitive the next generation x60 always out performed the last generation x70 cards, as far back as Kepler.

Volta might be delayed till late next year, but it will outperform the X1X on the cheap. As will the next gen i3's and Pentiums.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Maybe 1-3 years? I wonder how powerful some AMD ravenridge or its successors would be just for gaming performance.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@appariti0n said:

I do.

In fact i have an i7, i5, and a 980ti in the i5 and in total the two systems and the card were under 500 (systems were not complete, but mobo, processor, some ram, etc. the rest i had lying around). The i5, while i dont really give a shit about 4k gaming, i know it can do it. The average would probably be 28-34fps, but it can. If i put it in the i7 i'd probably get 3-5 extra frames.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

The thing is. Computers depreciate in value.

So even though I paid X amount for my computer 2 years ago and it would easily whip the shit out of an X1X, it does not mean it is worth the same value today as when I bought it.

Just proves this whole comparison is complete garbage.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By appariti0n

@kod said:
@appariti0n said:

I do.

In fact i have an i7, i5, and a 980ti in the i5 and in total the two systems and the card were under 500 (systems were not complete, but mobo, processor, some ram, etc. the rest i had lying around). The i5, while i dont really give a shit about 4k gaming, i know it can do it. The average would probably be 28-34fps, but it can. If i put it in the i7 i'd probably get 3-5 extra frames.

So when do you think you could build a new system without using "parts laying around"?

Also, the 980 would cry uncle very suddenly in 4K, 4 GB of vram isn't enough.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@xboxiphoneps3 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@xboxiphoneps3 said:
@wizard said:

@drlostrib: trololol

@xboxiphoneps3

You can load Windows 10 for free as a completely functioning OS. Not to mention the price varies wildly if you want to activate it.

Few modern PC cases have a 5.25" drive spot for Disc Drives. They are obsolete in the PC ecosystem because they can stream/load virtually any video codec, while the Xbox can't (because they want you to pay for overpriced physical media) I'm not adding unnecessary hardware to a PC build.

i3 = 115, budget chipset = 50, 8gb RAM = 50. Any rebates/combos/sales on Newegg will reduce the cost even further. Or you could use Ryzen 3.

8GB of RAM just ever barely cuts it for gaming now.

You're kidding right?

You do eventually have to activate it by buying a activation key

I agree that you most people are not opting for disc drives much nowadays in their PC's but this thread is about building a comparable PC to the X1X at the same price, it's included in the X1X (UHD Blu Ray drive)so you can't just disregard it like that

8GB is fine for majority of games actually (some games do go over 8GB though no problem)but what I really meant by that was, you can't really have much open in the background with just 8GB of system RAM while playing modern titles or it chugs with big dips while gaming, 16GB of RAM is considered the standard nowadays for a mid range gaming PC

I think your build could probably beat 1X but not entirely convinced, $199 1060 performance by next year? Maybe Volta does have a big jump in perf

Actually, I believe they changed that with Windows 10. You never have to activate it, but you will have that "Activate Windows" dialogue on the bottom right the whole time.

@wizard said:

@xboxiphoneps3:

You can run unactivated for as long as you want with little compromise.

I can totally disregard the UHD/HDR Drive. PC can play UHD content from any digital source. X1X can play UHD/HDR content from the drive and a small amount of digital sources. It's a side grade. If you want to get chippy about the UHD/HDR drive and the value it presents I'd flip the argument on you to how much the PC can do that the Xbox can't. You'd lose. This is about gaming, not media content where the Xbox loses 99/100.

8gb is sufficient for console settings or above. 16gb isn't the standard. It's the performance maximum. No game that I know of sees any kind of tangible benefit with 32gb of RAM.

Before the miner craze the 1060 could be had for less than $250. The 1060 Pascal is more or less equivalent to the Maxwell 980. Volta is supposed to be a larger jump than Pascal so I have no doubt that the $200(ish) Volta card will supersede at least the 1070 and likely the 1080 as well. Far above the X1X.

Miner craze is here to stay, unless Nvidia neuters consumer Volta GPU's from mining(not likely), prices will be up, Nvidia has no reason at all to make a $200 dollar Volta GPU next year that is at on par with a 1070 or even faster, Pascal is still ridiculously good, they will take their time with Volta, Nvidia isn't sweating Vega 1 bit.

GTX 1160/2160, whoever you ask, will be at least on par with the 1070 and the 1170 will replace GTX 1080 and vice versa.

There are some rumors of a 1070 TI, which is quite strange tbh

Incoming RX-Vega 36/40/44(??) or RX-590 (Vega 11) to take on GTX 1070. Vega 11 is something faster than RX-580.

Vega 56 ~= GTX 1070 Ti

Vega 64 ~= GTX 1080

There's little need for NV to move towards Volta which is effectively Pascal with FP16 RPM.

GP102 already has double rate INT16 RPM.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 ronvalencia

@tormentos said:
@ronvalencia said:

Your post is a spam which has nothing to do with system wars but engages in poster wars.

@pinkanimal said:
@tormentos said:
@ronvalencia said:

He's incapable of understanding that some things should not be taken literally. I understand now why he has so much trouble with human communication.

Another knee-jerk reaction from a cow who engages in poster wars instead of system wars.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By ronvalencia

@appariti0n said:
@kod said:
@appariti0n said:

I do.

So when do you think you could build a new system without using "parts laying around"?

Stock 980 Ti has 6GB VRAM with 336 GB/s. Kod has GTX 980 TI not the lesser GTX 980. Super OC 980 Ti can beat super OC 1070 at 4K.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By ronvalencia

@tormentos said:
@ronvalencia said:

Last i remember there was a console with 5 billion transistor that got spanked by another console with much less transistors..lol

The RX580 is just a GPU the SOC for scorpio is 7 billion transistors they are not comparable,the same crap was say about the xbox one already with its 5 billion transistor crap...lol

Wrong. You didn't read the article.

A Custom AMD GPU

One of the biggest draws of the Scorpio is its graphical capabilities. The GPU was custom designed with AMD, featuring 40 compute units clocked at 1172MHz. With a reported 7 billion transistors, the GPU is capable of 6 Teraflops of processing. For comparison, the last generation of Xbox consoles had 1.32 Teraflops of power.

X1X's GPU has more CU, more hardware features and caches when compared to RX-580. (5.7 billion transistors / Polaris 36 CU) x retail X1X's 40 CU = 6.3 billion transistors.

X1X's GPU has more hardware features and caches when compared to R9-390X (6.2 billion transistors).

From http://www.anandtech.com/show/11740/hot-chips-microsoft-xbox-one-x-scorpio-engine-live-blog-930am-pt-430pm-utc#post0821123606

12:36PM EDT - 8x 256KB render caches

12:37PM EDT - 2MB L2 cache with bypass and index buffer access

12:38PM EDT - out of order rasterization, 1MB parameter cache, delta color compression, depth compression, compressed texture access

X1X's GPU's Render Back Ends (RBE) has 256KB cache each and there's 8 of them, hence 2 MB render cache.

X1X's GPU has 2 MB L2 cache, 1 MB parameter cache and 2MB render cache. That's 5 MB of cache.

https://www.amd.com/Documents/GCN_Architecture_whitepaper.pdf

The old GCN's render back end (RBE) cache. Page 13 of 18.

Once the pixels fragments in a tile have been shaded, they flow to the Render Back-Ends (RBEs). The RBEs apply depth, stencil and alpha tests to determine whether pixel fragments are visible in the final frame. The visible pixels fragments are then sampled for coverage and color to construct the final output pixels. The RBEs in GCN can access up to 8 color samples (i.e. 8x MSAA) from the 16KB color caches and 16 coverage samples (i.e. for up to 16x EQAA) from the 4KB depth caches per pixel. The color samples are blended using weights determined by the coverage samples to generate a final anti-aliased pixel color. The results are written out to the frame buffer, through the memory controllers

GCN version 1.0's RBE cache size is just 20 KB. 8x RBE = 160 KB render cache (for 7970)

AMD R9-290X/R9-390X's aging RBE/ROPS comparison. https://www.slideshare.net/DevCentralAMD/gs4106-the-amd-gcn-architecture-a-crash-course-by-layla-mah

Render Back Ends includes it's own math operations i.e. "Logic Operations" and Blending.

16 RBE with each RBE contains 4 ROPS. Each RBE has 24 KB cache.

24 bytes x 16 = 384 KB.

X1X's RBE/ROPS has 2048 KB or 2 MB render cache.

X1X's RBE has 256 KB. 8x RBE = 2048 KB (or 2 MB) render cache. X1X has hold more rendering data on the chip when compared to Radeon HD 7970.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-tech-revealed

We quadrupled the GPU L2 cache size, again for targeting the 4K performance."

X1X GPU's 2MB L2 cache can be used for rendering in addition to X1X's 2 MB render cache.

RX-480's RBE (Render Back Ends)

It seems RX-480's RBEs doesn't have any improvements.

The following block diagram shows RX-480/RX-580's RBE(Pixel Engine) bottleneck!

X1X's RBE/Pixel Engine has 2MB render cache and it's located next 2MB L2 cache!

When X1X's L2 cache (for TMU) and render cache (for ROPS) is combined, the total cache size is 4MB which is similar VEGA's shared 4MB L2 cache for RBE/ROPS and TMUs.

X1X GPU also has new workload distribution and "conservation occlusion query".

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn914594(v=vs.85).aspx

Conservative Rasterization

Overview

Conservative rasterization means that all pixels that are at least partially covered by a rendered primitive are rasterized, which means that the pixel shader is invoked. Normal behavior is sampling, which is not used if conservative rasterization is enabled.

Conservative rasterization is useful in a number of situations, including for certainty in collision detection, occlusion culling, and visibility detection.

X1X's version got the core functionality from Conservative Rasterization.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 DrLostRib

Chill out, ron

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

@ronvalencia: "Another knee-jerk reaction from a cow who engages in poster wars instead of system wars."

If you can't communicate like a human being it's difficult to argue about subjects. Your robotic-spamming style creates the "personality wars".

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By KOD

@appariti0n said:
@kod said:
@appariti0n said:

I do.

Never. Im always buying computer shit and have tons of it laying around. But the cpu, gpu and mobo are the most expensive parts. Even if i didnt have those other parts, in total it might have cost an extra 100-150 bucks for both systems.

980ti's have no problems running 4k at 30fps. Yes, if you want to go above that you will have problems, but whatever. 4k is a silly benchmark for consoles or PCs to be honest.

Oh, and Ron already addressed the 6gb thing. But i'd be willing to bet 4gb is enough for 4k and it would probably be on par with consoles.

EDIT - https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/213069-is-4gb-of-vram-enough-amds-fury-x-faces-off-with-nvidias-gtx-980-ti-titan-x

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@kod said:
@appariti0n said:
@kod said:
@appariti0n said:

I do.

mobo are the most expensive parts.

but I spent 94$ on mine. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128988

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 appariti0n

@kod: Right, but you originally said 980, not 980 ti. You can only run 4K on 4GB of ram with really crappy texture settings.

The X1X will match PC ultra settings, and 30 fps is ok with that level of image quality. Pretty sure the human eye can't see more than that anyhow, which is why videos are recorded at 24 fps.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By KOD
@appariti0n said:

@kod: Right, but you originally said 980, not 980 ti. You can only run 4K on 4GB of ram with really crappy texture settings.

The X1X will match PC ultra settings, and 30 fps is ok with that level of image quality. Pretty sure the human eye can't see more than that anyhow, which is why videos are recorded at 24 fps.

@kod said:

I do.

In fact i have an i7, i5, and a 980ti in the i5and in total the two systems and the card were under 500 (systems were not complete, but mobo, processor, some ram, etc. the rest i had lying around). The i5, while i dont really give a shit about 4k gaming, i know it can do it. The average would probably be 28-34fps, but it can. If i put it in the i7 i'd probably get 3-5 extra frames.

Nah, looks like i did say 980ti.

The human eye caps out at 120fps (its actually like 105 or 110 but we just go with 120 since its an even fps measurement) and IMO, fps is far more important to the gaming experience than doing 4k over 1080. The difference between the two for most gaming set ups is negligible. Where-as increased fps affects graphics, controls, even sound (sync). Im not quite sure what videos you are referencing as you can choose what fps you record at with most digital cameras.... i suspect you're referencing streaming, probably a base youtube setting? I dont know, but camera's can record up to like 40,000 fps if you get a special one, a normal one will do at least 60.

There is no reason for any gaming system to be attempting anything less than 60fps right now. I can almost guarantee you that if you played a game at 4k 30fps and then played the same game at 1080 but 60fps, you'd never go back to the 4k. Because of the split second responses, i feel this is especially true when it comes to fighting games. But once you realize how important at least 60fps is to controls and smoothness of a game, going with something less (even if 4k... hell 8k.... shit 100,000k) is like trying to go back to 56k modems from cable modems.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 tormentos

@ronvalencia said:
@tormentos said:

Wrong. You didn't read the article.

X1X's GPU has more CU, more hardware features and caches when compared to RX-580. (5.7 billion transistors / Polaris 36 CU) x retail X1X's 40 CU = 6.3 billion transistors.

X1X's GPU has more hardware features and caches when compared to R9-390X (6.2 billion transistors).

You are not READING...

The xbox one X 7 billion transistors is from its complete SOC not just for the GPU,so making comparison is stupid,is clear the GPU has more transistors than the RX480 and 580 but the comparison are lame The RX580 is 6+TF with 36CU because of its speed regardless of having less transistors.

The Scorpio Engine is the new system on chip (SoC) that lies at the heart of the machine- it is a 16nm FinFET chip produced by TSMC, with seven billion transistors containing a custom CPU cluster and 40 customized Radeon compute units- among other things.

http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-scorpio-internal-motherboard-architecture-revealed-16nm-finfet-chip-7-billion-transistors-vapour-chamber-cooling-and-more#3VpeqMb74RcaARDQ.99

And yes i am right.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#233  Edited By gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

@ronvalencia:

That's a lot of extra cache. Looks like they're using tile based rendering and have direct pixel engine to L2 access. Nothing else would really explain the need for that amount.

So a game like DOOM should have decent performance on 6TF RX 480 in comparison, while traditional Nvidia stronghold/gimpworks titles should be much faster on X1X. This is explains why some titles scale much better on X1X than PS4 Pro, up to 100% better, as opposed to the 43% you'd expect.

---

X1X is shaping up to the be the greatest console hardware ever assembled.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

How long will it take for PC to match the Xbox One X in power, features, performance at the same price point? Not today, not today!

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Zaryia

@xhawk27 said:

How long will it take for PC to match the Xbox One X in power, features, performance at the same price point? Not today, not today!

The issue is XB1X already can't reach PC. 30 fps Destiny 2 and XBL which is far worse than PC online.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Two to three(2 years) more GPU generations... You will get a RX760/GTX3050Ti with similar performance to a RX 580(590ish) for $200 but by then the X1X will probably be sold for $399.

The X1X in terms of price/performance is probably the best console in a long time.

That being said PC will always be more powerful, its no win battle. You guys get consoles built for price/performance where the manufactures make deals and lots of cost cutting is done its to meet the desired performance... PC can never compete directly since components are sold individually.

If you want price/perfomance and dont care about framerate get a X1X... If you care about framerates get a PC with a high end GPU, its simple as.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 DrLostRib

@zaryia said:
@xhawk27 said:

The issue is XB1X already can't reach PC. 30 fps Destiny 2 and XBL which is far worse than PC online.

Everyone knows PC can surpass xbox

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Zaryia

@drlostrib said:
@zaryia said:
@xhawk27 said:

Xhawk never stated price, and he mentioned features, in which PC is better even if it runs worse. Also online is a huge feature - meaning XBL charges are part of his post meaning PC is cheaper.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 DrLostRib

@zaryia said:
@drlostrib said:
@zaryia said:
@xhawk27 said:

Xhawk never stated price, and he mentioned features, in which PC is better even if it runs worse. Also online is a huge feature - meaning XBL charges are part of his post meaning PC is cheaper.

"performance at the same price point?"

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 tormentos

@gamecubepad said:

@ronvalencia:

That's a lot of extra cache. Looks like they're using tile based rendering and have direct pixel engine to L2 access. Nothing else would really explain the need for that amount.

So a game like DOOM should have decent performance on 6TF RX 480 in comparison, while traditional Nvidia stronghold/gimpworks titles should be much faster on X1X. This is explains why some titles scale much better on X1X than PS4 Pro, up to 100% better, as opposed to the 43% you'd expect.

---

Yeah like the PS4 didn't have gaps over 100% with just 40% more power..Boy how fast they forget resolution gate..lol

IN fact doom on PS4 is almost always 1080p and almost always 60FPS,on xbox one drop to 40's frame wise and resolution drops to lower than 828p which combined does make for a bigger than 100% gap.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 KOD

@drlostrib said:
@zaryia said:
@drlostrib said:
@zaryia said:
@xhawk27 said:

"performance at the same price point?"

Meh... was going to adjust this but whatever.

So to add to Zaryia, a lot of people never consider these extra costs when it comes to consoles. Now, ive been a console and PC gamer most of my life, the only time i stopped caring about consoles was with this 8th generation when they decided to do nothing aside from being low grade gaming PCs. And i have bought plenty of systems at launch and the things people tend to leave out when mentioning price are all the other things youll need. So with this XBX1 or whatever it is, its not just 499 and you're good. Its 499+tax, + paying the unnecessary pimp that is xbox live + another controller (or some other peripheral that youll regularly use) + 2 or 3 games = You're easily looking at 750. So at this price point, i would be able to build a PC that consoles most likely wouldnt even be able to touch.

I really hate to say it given that ive been a gamer for over 30 years, but these new consoles are nothing but a practice in bad consumerism.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By gamecubepad

@tormentos:

Who the **** is "they" and why are you bringing the PS4 into this?

---

The difference here is that X1X is not only demonstrating a larger resolution gap in relation to the Pro, but it's also increasing the settings at the same time.

Digital Foundry did benchmarks on a batch of faceoff games and they found the relative gap between the PS4 and XO was lower than the theoretical gap. It won't be like this with PS4 Pro vs X1X because MS has addressed memory bandwidth limitations while Sony has not.

The compute gap(i.e. TFLOPS) will mimic theoretical percentage on games with compute path optimization like DOOM(2016), but in titles that favor Nvidia(i.e. most titles), the X1X will likely have some form of tile based rendering paired with a ton of cache and direct pixel to L2 cache connection, with 6-7GB VRAM at 326GB/s on a 384-bit bus. Pro is locked behind old GCN memory bandwidth limitations and memory controller bottleneck. The gap will be larger than the theoretical amount, as opposed to PS4 vs XO. This is more Nvidia vs AMD general performance relative to TFLOPS than it is XO to PS4.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 xhawk27

@zaryia said:
@drlostrib said:
@zaryia said:
@xhawk27 said:

Nope. Bungie made a deal with Sony so that is the reason for 30fps on X1X. Second features like dolby atmos and 4k 60fps hdr caputure on the Xbox One X plus 4k UHD blu-ray drive.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Zaryia

@xhawk27 said:
@zaryia said:
@drlostrib said:
@zaryia said:
@xhawk27 said:

Nope. Bungie made a deal with Sony so that is the reason for 30fps on X1X. Second features like dolby atmos and 4k 60fps hdr caputure on the Xbox One X plus 4k UHD blu-ray drive.

Nope. 60 fps > 30 fps

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 xhawk27

@gamecubepad said:

@tormentos:

Who the **** is "they" and why are you bringing the PS4 into this?

---

The difference here is that X1X is not only demonstrating a larger resolution gap in relation to the Pro, but it's also increasing the settings at the same time.

Digital Foundry did benchmarks on a batch of faceoff games and they found the relative gap between the PS4 and XO was lower than the theoretical gap. It won't be like this with PS4 Pro vs X1X because MS has addressed memory bandwidth limitations while Sony has not.

The compute gap(i.e. TFLOPS) will mimic theoretical percentage on games with compute path optimization like DOOM(2016), but in titles that favor Nvidia(i.e. most titles), the X1X will likely have some form of tile based rendering paired with a ton of cache and direct pixel to L2 cache connection, with 6-7GB VRAM at 326GB/s on a 384-bit bus. Pro is locked behind old GCN memory bandwidth limitations and memory controller bottleneck. The gap will be larger than the theoretical amount, as opposed to PS4 vs XO. This is more Nvidia vs AMD general performance relative to TFLOPS than it is XO to PS4.

http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-xps4-pro-graphical-differences-will-be-visible-in-big-aaa-games-betadwarf

Yeah there is going to be a big difference on AAA games.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 gamecubepad

@xhawk27:

TW3 is a game that will be a good benchmark since even though it's a gameworks title, it's got pretty even performance at the GTX 1060/RX 480 price point. I've spent a decent amount of time benchmarking it and I expect X1X to beat my GTX 1060 and RX 480 at max OC by around 18%.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 ronvalencia

@gamecubepad said:

@ronvalencia:

---

Vega 11 arrives when X1X drops in...

Vega 11 to replace RX-580 (36 CU) and NV placing GTX 1070 Ti (18 SM) into 1070 (15 SM)'s slot hence moving 1070 downwards. AMD could keep RX-580 for the miners (they don't need RBE updates) while Vega 11 for the gamers.

PC world is moving again.

DOOM used heavy Compute Shader based rendering hence enables RX-480's TFLOPS to work better with Polaris 10/20's 2MB L2 cache. Significant amount of NV Gimpworks uses Pixel Shader path.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56109 Posts

I'd settle for Xbox One S over X if you wanna get yourself a cheap ass 4K/HDR movie set.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By ronvalencia

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Two to three(2 years) more GPU generations... You will get a RX760/GTX3050Ti with similar performance to a RX 580(590ish) for $200 but by then the X1X will probably be sold for $399.

The X1X in terms of price/performance is probably the best console in a long time.

That being said PC will always be more powerful, its no win battle. You guys get consoles built for price/performance where the manufactures make deals and lots of cost cutting is done its to meet the desired performance... PC can never compete directly since components are sold individually.

If you want price/perfomance and dont care about framerate get a X1X... If you care about framerates get a PC with a high end GPU, its simple as.

Nope, not even a single generation.

Vega 11 has RBE updates like X1X's RBE updates. Think of RX-580 with Vega 64 era clock speed e.g. 1.6 Ghz (7.3 TFLOPS with 36 CU) and RBE with mulit-MB of cache (copies GP104's L2 cache layout). RX-580 already has comparable triangle rate as GTX 1070's 5G and it's just missing RBE updates and DX12 Feature 12_1(rasterization feature updates, Pascal feature level).

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-vega-11-production

"AMD’s Vega isn't finished yet, Vega 11 goes into production to replace Polaris".

AMD has two Vega generations and these are 14 nm FinFET and 14 nm FinFET+ updates before 7 nm FinFET Navi arrives.

Vega 11 is needed for Raven Ridge SoC's Vega based IGP partnering e.g. a gaming laptop with Vega 11 (~36 CU) dGPU + SoC's Vega based IGP (11 CU) hybrid setup. Laptop market is about half of X86 market..

The problem is the miners and hopefully AMD keeps RX-580s for the miners while gamers has Vega 11.