Battlefield 3 Official Discussion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="mitu123"] Looks like they're replacing it with squad leader, notice the star next to your name? In the Game Informer issue they say they want to make commanding more accessible.

Wasdie

Nope didn't notice the star but that's intriguing.

The problem with commanders they are so damn hit or miss. You're entire team shouldn't suffer because of a bad commander. Giving the squad leaders more power will balance that power and give a much better chance for the team.

That's a good point, the veto system didn't work terribly well either as half the players ignored it during pub games, and there really wasn't any leaning into it - it was trial by fire for commanders. I just hope the squad leader has flexible abilities like the commander, vehicle drops, artillery - and sabotage-able infrastructure (I'll be mortified if there isn't that).
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#103 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
I have no experience with main series Battlefield, but if this game is something similar to what BC2 promised at the time of the beta/demo, I can't wait for it. Hopefully my next build will handle it on medium, because I'm not getting the inferior versions.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="ghostwarrior786"]

where are these people playing the game?

ghostwarrior786

It was a multiplayer area in the DICE booth. They all got to go in and play a full match against each other and then another group came in

its so unfair in the UK we get nothing. there should be atleast 1 big gaming convention here so we get to check out all the new games.

I know I live in Ireland and I wish something was in Europe :(

2scoopsofempty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 2scoopsofempty
Member since 2005 • 923 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="mitu123"] Looks like they're replacing it with squad leader, notice the star next to your name? In the Game Informer issue they say they want to make commanding more accessible.

Wasdie

Nope didn't notice the star but that's intriguing.

The problem with commanders they are so damn hit or miss. You're entire team shouldn't suffer because of a bad commander. Giving the squad leaders more power will balance that power and give a much better chance for the team.

exactly... this was a huge problem in BF2, useless commanders. Or worse, commanders flying jets. I was a great idea, but it didn't exactly work well in practice. however on the flip side, those few matches when you actually had a good commander the experience was extremely rewarding.

I remember being so freakin pumped when i won the commander spot, i really felt like my team depended on me and if we failed i actually felt responsible. I was a great experience.

I think that giving squad leaders commander-like powers is the best compromise.

smokingsbad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 smokingsbad
Member since 2004 • 38455 Posts
hmmm hope by the time game releases squads would be of six. For PC atleast.
Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Bus-A-Bus
Member since 2009 • 5089 Posts

[QUOTE="ghostwarrior786"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

It was a multiplayer area in the DICE booth. They all got to go in and play a full match against each other and then another group came in

seanmcloughlin

its so unfair in the UK we get nothing. there should be atleast 1 big gaming convention here so we get to check out all the new games.

I know I live in Ireland and I wish something was in Europe :(

How come?There is EG games convention and there is Gamescom(best IMO in the world).One in UK,one in Germany.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Still no PS3 footage? I heard they are showing the PC/PS3 version atE3 and I just want to see how it looks.

finalfantasy94
They showed a tiny bit.
Medic_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Medic_B
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

WOW seems EA is going to milk BF and MOH to death each year.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37956/EA-Battlefield-and-MOH-games-in-annual-rotation

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#110 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37956/EA-Battlefield-and-MOH-games-in-annual-rotation

Medic_B

Since my other thread got locked, I'll just put in what I think of it here:

You have got to be kidding me...I can't believe that we're going to have MoH and Battlefield yearly releases now. Well it's not necessarily the same game every year like CoD, it's MoH one year, Battlefield the next, then MoH, then Battlefield, but I hope this doesn't get out of hand. My guess is that we'll be having Bad Company every 2 years, then a new Battlefield game after, say, 5-7 years. What's your take on this? Do you like EA's strategy of fighting Activision by also having yearly releases? I wish they'd let DICE have a small break from Battlefield and really work hard on the next Mirror's Edge, it was a fantastic idea, and worked very well. They alreadyplan on having Mirror's Edge 2 with Frostbite 2, so that'll at least turn out great. I don't want a franchise like Battlefield to be milked, and MoH seems to have promise, I presonally think it needs a lot of work online, but I know friends who are huge fans of the game. I really dislike this vibe of devs needing to release these games every 2 years, I'd rather just give them freedom to at least support Battlefield 3 a lot, or create something new.

It's really unfortunate that they're doing this :( EA was the angel in comparison with Activision, I doubt they'd go as low as Activision does.

Medic_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Medic_B
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

[QUOTE="Medic_B"]

XVision84

You have got to be kidding me...I can't believe that we're going to have MoH and Battlefield yearly releases now. Well it's not necessarily the same game every year like CoD, it's MoH one year, Battlefield the next, then MoH, then Battlefield, but I hope this doesn't get out of hand. My guess is that we'll be having Bad Company every 2 years, then a new Battlefield game after, say, 5-7 years. What's your take on this? Do you like EA's strategy of fighting Activision by also having yearly releases? I wish they'd let DICE have a small break from Battlefield and really work hard on the next Mirror's Edge, it was a fantastic idea, and worked very well. They alreadyplan on having Mirror's Edge 2 with Frostbite 2, so that'll at least turn out great. I don't want a franchise like Battlefield to be milked, and MoH seems to have promise, I presonally think it needs a lot of work online, but I know friends who are huge fans of the game. I really dislike this vibe of devs needing to release these games every 2 years, I'd rather just give them freedom to at least support Battlefield 3 a lot, or create something new.

It's really unfortunate that they're doing this :( EA was the angel in comparison with Activision, I doubt they'd as low as Activision does.

yea i know that sucked

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#112 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

[QUOTE="Medic_B"]

XVision84

It's really unfortunate that they're doing this :( EA was the angel in comparison with Activision, I doubt they'd go as low as Activision does.

Gamers are so naive. Video game publishers live and die based on the amount of R&D they do. You need to keep pushing new product each year. If you are not doing that, then you are dead. Even sales of old titles would not keep you afloat.

At least it's a new game every two years for each franchise, which isn't too bad. Doesn't sound too much like milking to me, unlike Activision, which puts out a new title from the same old franchise each year. Would you rather have yearly DLC or new games every year? Take your pick.

I'm glad hardcore gamers are not running EA or Activision. I'd sell my shares more quickly than a rat would chew through cheese on a mouse trap if it happened.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="Medic_B"]

The_Capitalist

Gamers are so naive. Video game publishers live and die based on the amount of R&D they do. You need to keep pushing new product each year. If you are not doing that, then you are dead. Even sales of old titles would not keep you afloat.

At least it's a new game every two years for each franchise, which isn't too bad. Doesn't sound too much like milking to me, unlike Activision, which puts out a new title from the same old franchise each year. Would you rather have yearly DLC or new games every year? Take your pick.

I'm glad you are not running EA or Activision. I'd sell my shares more quickly than a rat would chew through cheese on a mouse trap.

I'm not clueless as to really think that publisher's are able to let developers do what they want, but you do realize that giving dev's freedom builds great relationships, right? If you ran EA or Activision with the same strict motto or rules, then many devs would leave you. Bungie left Microsoft, Valve switched from favoring 360 to favoring PS3, there was the whole Infinity Ward and Activision debacle, and many more. Why did all that happen? Because of freedom. If you think forcing yearly or every 2 year releases of the same game without giving devs freedom to expand is good, then you're terribly mistaken. In the past Battlefield has never been an "every 2 years" release, it's like Elder Scrolls. Sony has a great reputation with devs because they give them freedom, it's why their first party is so great too, freedom in moderation is the key.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 The_Capitalist

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

I'm glad you are not running EA or Activision. I'd sell my shares more quickly than a rat would chew through cheese on a mouse trap.

I'm not clueless as to really think that publisher's are able to let developers do what they want, but you do realize that giving dev's freedom builds great relationships, right? If you ran EA or Activision with the same strict motto or rules, then many devs would leave you. Bungie left Microsoft, Valve switched from favoring 360 to favoring PS3, there was the whole Infinity Ward and Activision debacle, and many more. Why did all that happen? Because of freedom. If you think forcing yearly or every 2 year releases of the same game without giving devs freedom to expand is good, then you're terribly mistaken. In the past Battlefield has never been an "every 2 years" release, it's like Elder Scrolls. Sony has a great reputation with devs because they give them freedom, it's why their first party is so great too, freedom in moderation is the key.

That might be true, but long hours and working on stuff that is very disinteresting is pretty much the norm in the industry.

I believe that developers should be allowed to incorporate new features as necessary (in order to keep the games fresh), but deadlines are deadlines. Imagine a world without deadlines. That wouldn't bode so well for most people on Earth.

Video game development has gone commercial a long time ago. Only indie developers can take their sweet time to come up with their stuff... More mainstream development is geared towards meeting goals and deadlines of some sort. It's a business. You can only generate revenue if you keep pushing development forward.

The naivete is astounding. It's a business, and if you don't like game developers getting trampled upon, then don't support developers that encourage such practices.

2scoopsofempty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 2scoopsofempty
Member since 2005 • 923 Posts

Frostbite 2 is a remarkable engine, and BF is a remarkable franchise. If EA can make this work properly and i get to see another BF game within the next 2 years I'm happy. If in 2 years i get to play another BF2142-like game made by DICE as a result from this I'm going to be so thrilled!

MOH needs work though. lots of it. i have the game and some aspects of it i enjoyed. it has potential. But i just don't see it competing with COD.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I don't care if they release a BF one year and a MOH another because I will only be playing BF. MOH can have its time in the light but DICE will put their best efforst and ideas into BF which is great. It means we get the game for longer with DLC incoming all year round. Smart move really. DICE only do the MP for MOH anyway

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

I don't care if they release a BF one year and a MOH another because I will only be playing BF. MOH can have its time in the light but DICE will put their best efforst and ideas into BF which is great. It means we get the game for longer with DLC incoming all year round. Smart move really. DICE only do the MP for MOH anyway

seanmcloughlin

i seriously can't stop looking at this:

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 The_Capitalist

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

lawlessx

Is that from the "technology" trailer? Looks great.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

lawlessx

holy **** look at that.....wait for it............graphics

hensothor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 hensothor
Member since 2011 • 522 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

Didn't Battlefield start less than 10 years ago? That's more than one game every 2 years.
Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

Still no PS3 footage? I heard they are showing the PC/PS3 version atE3 and I just want to see how it looks.

killzowned24

They showed a tiny bit.

If I remember right those were from that video, and I dont recall it saying PS3 on them. I think that was shopped in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNOxynC1Dc

yeah, its from that video, the PS3 part was shopped in, those are PC shots there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

hensothor

Didn't Battlefield start less than 10 years ago? That's more than one game every 2 years.

I'm talking about main Battlefield, the Bad Company series was just introducing Battlefield to consoles and the development stages of Frostbite. A spin-off series that lets DICE get a hang of working on consoles, that's how I look at it.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

I personally don't care if BF goes into bi-yearly rotation after this. When DICE makes a badass BF game after this I'll pick it up, and that's that. For now I just care if BF3 is gonna continue to do justice to BF2.

After BF3, the only game I care about is Project Reality.

Upparoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Upparoom
Member since 2010 • 2111 Posts

[QUOTE="killzowned24"][QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

theshadowhunter

They showed a tiny bit.

If I remember right those were from that video, and I dont recall it saying PS3 on them. I think that was shopped in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNOxynC1Dc

yeah, its from that video, the PS3 part was shopped in, those are PC shots there.

The same clips clearly state "PS3 footage" in the first e3 shown version of the trailer. Why they edited it out for their youtube upload is beyond me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Not sure if these have been posted.

Battlefield 3 - 7 minute mutiplayer PC gameplay 1/2

Battlefield 3 - 7 minute mutiplayer PC gameplay 2/2

Looks good, though some of the weapons could use more muzzle movement or something when firing all auto, at one point I didn't even realise he was shooting.

EIDT: Ah nevermind they are also found in other videos. Same footage from that 12 min gameplay footage I think

MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#126 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

Any info on the Beta? Like when it will start?

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Mystic-G

MrJack3690
September. For all platforms.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#128 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

MrJack3690

Sometime in September.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

MrJack3690

September for the open Beta (with limited keys). I'm guessing those who got MOH last year will get their Beta key in the email or something.

MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

September. For all platforms.Mystic-G

Sometime in September.

mitu123

September for the open Beta (with limited keys). I'm guessing those who got MOH last year will get their Beta key in the email or something.

October_Tide

Hoping even though I bought the PS3 version of MoH, I can get into the PC beta.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

Sometime in September.

MrJack3690

October_Tide

Hoping even though I bought the PS3 version of MoH, I can get into the PC beta.

Guess you will have to wait and see. I suppose the beta key might work on all platforms. If you post on the EA forums you may be able to find an answer (though I'm not sure if the main forum is the UK or US one for BF3).

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#132 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Beta key? Hope that's only for MOH LE, what kind of open beta can't be opened to everyone?

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
i started talking about it in the other thread but ill bring it up here.... so the BF games will most likely be expansion packs right? because with an engine like that there isnt many contenders to take it's place. if any
hensothor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 hensothor
Member since 2011 • 522 Posts

[QUOTE="hensothor"][QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

I'm talking about main Battlefield, the Bad Company series was just introducing Battlefield to consoles and the development stages of Frostbite. A spin-off series that lets DICE get a hang of working on consoles, that's how I look at it.

I don't see how that changes anything. Do you think that we are going to see Battlefield 4 in two years? No, it's going to be Bad Company 3.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

^ More like Battlefield 2143.

chrislol101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 chrislol101
Member since 2010 • 41 Posts

how exactly is this going to play online diffreently then cod?

im not hatin or anything, its just that every fps online looks the same to me

zeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#137 zeta
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

Ondoval
I regret not playing 2142 as much as I wanted to. I hope somewhere along the road that Dice develops "2143," but I also see a possible shift towards that direction anyway with claims of Respawn making a sci-fi shooter. I'm sure Activision and their COD developers will try and produce one as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="hensothor"] Didn't Battlefield start less than 10 years ago? That's more than one game every 2 years.hensothor

I don't see how that changes anything. Do you think that we are going to see Battlefield 4 in two years? No, it's going to be Bad Company 3.

That's exactly what I just said, Battlefield is every few years, Bad Company is every 2 years...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Lol...even Bobby Kotick wanted to play Battlefield 3 at E3, but EA denied his request :lol:

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="Ondoval"]

zeta

I regret not playing 2142 as much as I wanted to. I hope somewhere along the road that Dice develops "2143," but I also see a possible shift towards that direction anyway with claims of Respawn making a sci-fi shooter. I'm sure Activision and their COD developers will try and produce one as well.

A BF 2143 could be amazing... /dies.I hope they do it! OR, better yet... imagine, BF 3143 D: D: D: D:

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Lol...even Bobby Kotick wanted to play Battlefield 3 at E3, but EA denied his request :lol:

XVision84
Why wasn't he allowed?
Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#142 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts
Wooooooooooow @OP post. Amazing, suppression actually a viable tactic now? Squad members getting killed depending on where a vehicle gets hit? This is going to be one hell of a game. And most importantly, fun and not too hardcore.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
[QUOTE="XVision84"]

Lto_thaG
Why wasn't he allowed?

Sounds petty to me.
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 siddarthshetty
Member since 2008 • 9463 Posts

Even the SP looks so good,this game is certainly my Day 1 purchase.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="XVision84"]

RR360DD

Why wasn't he allowed?

Sounds petty to me.

Sounds pretty funny to me considering he boasts about CoD so much. He was probably looking for a way he can bash BF3 anyway. I don't blame EA in the slightest.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="XVision84"]

RR360DD

Why wasn't he allowed?

Sounds petty to me.

I agree. DICE hae the better game. They shouldn't worry about showing it to him. Its too late for him to steal ideas :P Im sure they had good reasons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

lawlessx

Its prettty sweet alright. I can't get over the character models. They look excellent

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Mystic-G

I can't wait to see what the Reality Mod team will be able to do with BF3. I've grown accustomed to the more hardcore realistic experience over the years. Plus insurgency mode is badass.

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

Lto_thaG

Why wasn't he allowed?

I'm assuming it's because it was invite only, so without an invite, you couldn't get in.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#150 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Glad the money Vamp wasn't allowed in. He doesn't support his games. He drains them dry.