NBA 2012 Off-season Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts
[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]Finally get to see Nash play on a legit contender. Can't wait to see them go up against OKC. Wait they got him for only future draft picks? Wow the Lakers always seem to get steals...TheWalkingGhost

Nash is only going to last another 2-3 years, and the draft picks the Lakers gave the Suns are really high ones (1st Round and 2nd Round). I'd say it wasn'ttoo much of a steal.

It was a steal...By Phoenix. LA got major league hosed. The Suns got Dragic and Beasley and a good shot at Gordon, combine that with 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders for an old fossil......:lol:

they aren't getting Gordon unless it's a sign and trade
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#152 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]Finally get to see Nash play on a legit contender. Can't wait to see them go up against OKC. Wait they got him for only future draft picks? Wow the Lakers always seem to get steals...TheWalkingGhost

Nash is only going to last another 2-3 years, and the draft picks the Lakers gave the Suns are really high ones (1st Round and 2nd Round). I'd say it wasn'ttoo much of a steal.

It was a steal...By Phoenix. LA got major league hosed. The Suns got Dragic and Beasley and a good shot at Gordon, combine that with 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders for an old fossil......:lol:

I'm not sure you can call a guy who went to the All-Star game last year an old fossil. Nash is old, no doubt about it, but he's aged like John Stockton aged. He's still an incredibly productive and efficient player. The Suns essentially got what amounts to 4 second round draft choices from the Lakers in the deal because those two first round picks are going to be very late in the first round.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts

Lin going back to the Rockets for a second meeting. It would be hilarious if they lose Lin, after not getting Nash.

Thefatness16
And they're trading Kyle Lowry to the Raps.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

Lin going back to the Rockets for a second meeting. It would be hilarious if they lose Lin, after not getting Nash.

JohnBean42

Suprising trade and it's top ten protected for the Rockets.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Thefatness16

Clippers cancelled their meeting with Ray Allen, after signing Jamal Crawford and Billups. Now it's just between Miami and Boston. Ray is leaning towards signing with Miami though.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#156 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
Bomani Jones is an idiot. He said the Lakers lost in the playoffs cus they were old. I think we lost cus OKC was a better team. Then he brings up Derek Fisher to prove his point, when Fish wasn't even on the team last year in the playoffs.:lol: I wanted to see the Lakers get young too, but c'mon. And the other dude on first take(Don't remember his name, I just remember that he hates the Lakers) said it was going to be a "disaster". Hilarity.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
You were asking for it when you decided to watch First Take for some reason.
deuce4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 deuce4eva
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

Kidd to the Knicks. Kidd>Nash. Lin and Kidd.

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 No_Hablo_Ingles

[QUOTE="JohnBean42"][QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

Thefatness16

Suprising trade and it's top ten protected for the Rockets.

not really, been talked about for several weeks. They tried to trade him during draft to raptors to get Dummonds.
Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#160 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

nocoolnamejim

I'm not sure you can call a guy who went to the All-Star game last year an old fossil. Nash is old, no doubt about it, but he's aged like John Stockton aged. He's still an incredibly productive and efficient player. The Suns essentially got what amounts to 4 second round draft choices from the Lakers in the deal because those two first round picks are going to be very late in the first round.

Nash is trying to get Grant Hill on board. And second round pick? Tony Parker shows how valuable those picks can be. Nash is 38, not getting any younger and will run out of gas really soon. LAL MAY get 1 decent year out of him, and if they don't win a title this season they may never get one. It's not a good idea to get older when you have young teams like OKC out there.
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 TheWalkingGhost
[QUOTE="-Halftime-"]Bomani Jones is an idiot. He said the Lakers lost in the playoffs cus they were old. I think we lost cus OKC was a better team. Then he brings up Derek Fisher to prove his point, when Fish wasn't even on the team last year in the playoffs.:lol: I wanted to see the Lakers get young too, but c'mon. And the other dude on first take(Don't remember his name, I just remember that he hates the Lakers) said it was going to be a "disaster". Hilarity.

They are on ESPN...You expected something better? I hate the deal, but I won't call it a disaster until it actually becomes one. But this is the same network who employs Colin "I Wanna marry Lebron" Cowherd.
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts
I really hope Pat Riley will lay just lay his rings down on the table and let Ray Allen know that he got him. I can't see Allen going back to a team that put him on the trading block, and knowing he will now be the 3rd option with a younger Bradley and Terry. The Heat would be a matchup nightmare; not only could they kill you in the paint but also along the perimeter. Basically game 5.
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

[QUOTE="ohjtbehaaave"] Why is it ridiculous? Nets gambled trading for D.Williams from the Jazz and it payed off. They traded for Joe Johnson. And if they can trade for D.Howard.... it's about the Nets management having acquired the pieces for deals and making enough salary cap space to pull it all off. It should be applauded being able to turn a team around with smart management, not knocked. The Heat just having 2 All Stars walk in the door at no cost for players or draft picks is what's ridiculous.ohjtbehaaave

I'm talking more about the fact that a couple years ago they had the worst record in the league, and were the laughing stock of the NBA. Now they will potentially have Williams, Wallace, Johnson, and Howard, making them one of the better teams in the East. It just seems weird when I think of it like that. It's not everyday you see a team turn around that fast. At least the Heat were already a good team with just Wade; they didn't completely turn around in a matter of 1-2 seasons like the Nets. It is good management like you said...it just seems crazy.

What the Nets did is what NBA team MUST do to rebuild. Shed all your salary and make huge cap space to acquire star players... acquire tons of draft picks and decent pieces to trade to be able to absorb a huge contract like J.Johnson and D.Williams. It's the reason Atlanta traded Johnson etc.... to make salary cap space while they are rebuilding. They are now going to do what the Nets did the last 2 years... rebuild and shed salary.

As far as the Heat... just having 2 All Stars walk in the door to join another All Star.... it's totally bogus. It's not the Heats fault... and the Heat fans shouldn't care... but it's just a flawed system when that can happen. Makes the NBA look like a joke actually.

Sure they were right in rebuilding, but they were dead wrong in trading their assets and a draft pick for a 31 year old player with a god-awful contract who has been the 3rd best player on the hawks for the past 2 years. Maybe if they had acquired dwight things would be different, but as it stands I really don't see how people think this team will be going anywhere besides the 5-8 seeds for the next 3 years of jj's contract. I personally have them barely making the playoffs.
mont13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 mont13
Member since 2006 • 1468 Posts

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"]I hate steve Nash so much, god damnit. Looking forward to repeated blowbys by everyone he's guarding and minimal effort on the defensive end. whooptee doo.Bobbles
:lol: Yuuup.

It will be "odd" seeing Nash in a Laker uniform, but I'm game at this point. As far as his lack of defense, I've watched Laker point guards(Sessions, Fisher, Blake, Smush...) getting torched and blown-by for so many years now that I won't fault Nash too much for that. At least Nash's passing, shooting, decision making and general offense is much better than the others....even though he's not a long term solution.

wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#166 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

I think the Lakers getting Nash is great for them. Hes a very experienced PG and really good shooter imo.

My only problem is hes more interested in passing than shooting it seems. There were so many times he should have taken a shot on the Suns but didnt. Course LA has a different system getting shots for Kobe, Pau and Bynum (if both stay) should work great.

Lol people saying hes too old. Hes not gonna be the leader. Its Kobes team. What do people want? To stay with Sessions? He cant help them to the Finals.

Conscrumptured

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Conscrumptured
Member since 2010 • 797 Posts
I really hope Pat Riley will lay just lay his rings down on the table and let Ray Allen know that he got him. I can't see Allen going back to a team that put him on the trading block, and knowing he will now be the 3rd option with a younger Bradley and Terry. The Heat would be a matchup nightmare; not only could they kill you in the paint but also along the perimeter. Basically game 5.Jagged3dge
I, of course, want Allen to stay with the Celtics, but I think he has a better chance winning another championship if he goes with the Heat; and, really, I wouldn't blame him for leaving the Celtics. I was watching ESPN, and the ones hosting it that hour were talking about how they wouldn't understand why Allen wouldn't want to come back and try again with the big three in Boston, and it's like. Maybe they don't remember Ainge specifically listing Allen as the number one piece to go first, of the big three, and how he could easily see Allen not back in Boston come the start of next season (as he had said this in March). That, and Allen's career winding down, yeah. I could see it.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Thefatness16

Lin wants to sign with Rockets. Knicks can match though.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 JML897
Everyone's saying it would be a big surprise if the Knicks didn't match.
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts
[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]I really hope Pat Riley will lay just lay his rings down on the table and let Ray Allen know that he got him. I can't see Allen going back to a team that put him on the trading block, and knowing he will now be the 3rd option with a younger Bradley and Terry. The Heat would be a matchup nightmare; not only could they kill you in the paint but also along the perimeter. Basically game 5.Conscrumptured
I, of course, want Allen to stay with the Celtics, but I think he has a better chance winning another championship if he goes with the Heat; and, really, I wouldn't blame him for leaving the Celtics. I was watching ESPN, and the ones hosting it that hour were talking about how they wouldn't understand why Allen wouldn't want to come back and try again with the big three in Boston, and it's like. Maybe they don't remember Ainge specifically listing Allen as the number one piece to go first, of the big three, and how he could easily see Allen not back in Boston come the start of next season (as he had said this in March). That, and Allen's career winding down, yeah. I could see it.

:lol: I must of missed that. But I'm still not totally convinced that Ray Allen wants to sign here. He could be just trying to scare Boston into giving him a better contract by threatening to go to an inner-conference rival. What ever the case is I just hope the Heat are able to improve in some areas this offseason. That championship victory wasn't impeccable.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
Everyone's saying it would be a big surprise if the Knicks didn't match. JML897
Yeah, I heard someone say they would pay a billion dollars if they had to to keep him, which is kind of ridiculous for a player with such a small sample size.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]I really hope Pat Riley will lay just lay his rings down on the table and let Ray Allen know that he got him. I can't see Allen going back to a team that put him on the trading block, and knowing he will now be the 3rd option with a younger Bradley and Terry. The Heat would be a matchup nightmare; not only could they kill you in the paint but also along the perimeter. Basically game 5.Conscrumptured

They are now offering him a no trade clause.
Conscrumptured

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Conscrumptured
[QUOTE="Conscrumptured"][QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]I really hope Pat Riley will lay just lay his rings down on the table and let Ray Allen know that he got him. I can't see Allen going back to a team that put him on the trading block, and knowing he will now be the 3rd option with a younger Bradley and Terry. The Heat would be a matchup nightmare; not only could they kill you in the paint but also along the perimeter. Basically game 5.No_Hablo_Ingles

They are now offering him a no trade clause.

Wow. I know Ainge, in the last few weeks, have been talking about re-signing Allen is the priority, and how he definitely wants him back; but, still. After having him on the trading block as little as four months ago, whatever Allen decides, I won't hold it against him. Even though I do want him back to the Celtics.
wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#175 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

The Off Season/Free Agency/Trade Deadline is just a bunch of hype. Everyone pretty much know where they wanna go.

Remember how Carmelo was "considering" the Nets? And Lebron "considered" the Knicks and all the teams he met with?

I dont believe anything til its official. I assume Ray Allen will stay in Boston. Still I wouldnt be surprised if he ended up somewhere unexpected.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 JML897

Brandon Roy to the T'Wolves. I think they're making the playoffs this year. (even before this signing I thought they had a pretty good shot)

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
[QUOTE="JML897"]Everyone's saying it would be a big surprise if the Knicks didn't match. -Halftime-
Yeah, I heard someone say they would pay a billion dollars if they had to to keep him, which is kind of ridiculous for a player with such a small sample size.

brilliant move by the rockets though. they pretty much screwed the knicks either way. dumb move to keep him but now im kind of bumbed because the rockets are stupid and now dont have a point guard....
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 TheWalkingGhost
Brandon Roy has signed with Minnesota. Bulls must be sad. Rubio, Roy, Williams, Love and Pekovic looks likely. TWolves maybe dangerous of Roy does well. But my NBA 2K12 game is out of date now beyond repair.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#180 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"] It was a steal...By Phoenix. LA got major league hosed. The Suns got Dragic and Beasley and a good shot at Gordon, combine that with 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders for an old fossil......:lol:

And second round pick? Tony Parker shows how valuable those picks can be.

That's an exception to the rule.
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#181 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

Beasley is a waste :lol: good job signing that clown Phoenix but getting Dragic was smart, he's never going to be an all star guard but he's solid
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Thefatness16

So Lakers are willing to trade for Howard even if he doesn't sign a contract extension.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Wow the Clippers are back to being Clippers... pure suckerage.

They lose Nick Young, ball[sack] grabber reggie evans, let the chance of signing allen go. Signs busted heel Billups who may never be the same, and the wrong Crawford! Joey is the Crawford you want.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#184 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

Thefatness16
I'm not sure why Lin would go back to the Rockets after they barely gave Lin any minutes and then waived him. I'd be surprised if he joins the Rockets again out of all the teams. People would usually be offended when the team that waived you wants you back after playing well on another team.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Thefatness16

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

GameboyTroy

I'm not sure why Lin would go back to the Rockets after they barely gave Lin any minutes and then waived him. I'd be surprised if he joins the Rockets again out of all the teams. People would usually be offended when the team that waived you wants you back after playing well on another team.

He probably wants the Knicks to match the contract that another team gives him. I think he'd make more money that way.

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

andyboiii

Beasley is a waste :lol: good job signing that clown Phoenix but getting Dragic was smart, he's never going to be an all star guard but he's solid

How is Beasley a waste when he's only 23? He still has plenty of potential and has put up decent numbers. He just needs to screw his head on straight. We're not talking about Hasheem Thabeet here.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#187 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Ray Allen signs with the Heat according to multiple sources.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 JML897
Now to make sure his legs don't fall off...
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 JML897

Interesting tidbit, Wojnarowski is saying that one of the big factors for Ray Allen was the fact that he and Rondo don't get along at all.

Edit: Allen is saying that since he spent years with UConn & the Celtics, the New England area won't hate him now. Good luck with that one.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Thefatness16

yokofox33

Great addition for the Heat. Hope they can pick up Camby or Rashard Lewis for the minimum.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#191 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

Thefatness16

Great addition for the Heat. Hope they can pick up Camby or Rashard Lewis for the minimum.

Apparently they have enough to sign both according to Lebron's twitter, but I don't trust anyone with mathematics that hasn't gone to college :lol:

On a more serious note, I'd rather have Camby for the rebounding skills. I don't want to mess with the chemistry the team already has though by adding 3 new, fairly "big" signings.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Master_Live
Allen to shoots 3 all day.
Conscrumptured

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Conscrumptured

yokofox33
It's a shame to see him leave Boston, but I'll follow that man wherever he plays ball. I just hope he comes back to great health and keeps playing as he has.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Thefatness16

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

yokofox33

Apparently they have enough to sign both according to Lebron's twitter, but I don't trust anyone with mathematics that hasn't gone to college :lol:

On a more serious note, I'd rather have Camby for the rebounding skills. I don't want to mess with the chemistry the team already has though by adding 3 new, fairly "big" signings.

Yeah, I'd rather get Camby as well. I hate watching the Heat rebound. The ball seems to bounce in the air for about an hour, before someone can secure it.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 TheWalkingGhost
76ers amnesty Brand and sign Nick Young. (FYI No Hablo, he will be paid in full but if a team claims him off waivers what they pay him will be deducted from what the 76ers owe him)
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Glad Allen left. He was a liability on defense.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Master_Live
Damn, the Heat are going to sign Camby too?
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Thefatness16

Damn, the Heat are going to sign Camby too? Master_Live

He meets Miami and the Knicks this weekend. Depending on whether the Knicks get Jason Kidd through a sign and trade or just a regular signing, they could offer him more money. Miami could offer him a starting role which he wants. So it's a toss up.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

Should any other team in the East even try anymore? I mean really?

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Thefatness16

Magic are very close to trading Dwight Howard. Nets are out of the mix.