NBA 2012 Off-season Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
Although, he is now a Laker so I'll have to put aside my hatred like I did with Karl Malone. He's definitely a better player than Sessions and will definitely help stop the stagnant stretches LA had on offense last season. I just really wanted to see the Lakers get younger AND better. They're better, but not any younger. But I won't be complaining if we get another banner.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Nash to the Lakeshow. Looks like the Knicks are stuck with Jeremy Lint.

Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Major_Snake
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

I hate steve Nash so much, god damnit. Looking forward to repeated blowbys by everyone he's guarding and minimal effort on the defensive end. whooptee doo.-Halftime-

Great news for Spurs and Thunder cuz Parker and Westbrook will leave him in the dust.

Man I just can't see Nash in a Laker uni. So many years of playoff battles...

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts
[QUOTE="-Halftime-"]I hate steve Nash so much, god damnit. Looking forward to repeated blowbys by everyone he's guarding and minimal effort on the defensive end. whooptee doo.

:lol: Yuuup.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 -Halftime-

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"]I hate steve Nash so much, god damnit. Looking forward to repeated blowbys by everyone he's guarding and minimal effort on the defensive end. whooptee doo.Major_Snake

Great news for Spurs and Thunder cuz Parker and Westbrook will leave him in the dust.

Man I just can't see Nash in a Laker uni. So many years of playoff battles...

It's so weird to now start rooting for a player that I've hated for such a long time.
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
I love this move by the Lakers, our offense is actually gonna be flowing smoothly now as long as our bigs play like I know they can we'll be A Ok. I don't expect him to even guard Westbrook or Parker, hopefully it's Kobe that's the one that's guarding them
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 -Halftime-
I love this move by the Lakers, our offense is actually gonna be flowing smoothly now as long as our bigs play like I know they can we'll be A Ok. I don't expect him to even guard Westbrook or Parker, hopefully it's Kobe that's the one that's guarding themandyboiii
Yeah, something would be wrong if Mike Brown lets him guard someone like that. Cus he would get torched. Very excited about next season. Two years of second round exits isn't good enough.
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

When's the last time the Lakers were a bad team? I can't even recall. It must suck to be a fan of a team that is constantly average and never seems to improve, while the already excellent teams just keep getting better.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 SilentSoprano

The Nets are the one exception. I'm glad to see a new threat emerging in the NBA.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

When's the last time the Lakers were a bad team? I can't even recall. It must suck to be a fan of a team that is constantly average and never seems to improve, while the already excellent teams just keep getting better.

SilentSoprano

Well there was that time right after Shaq left where I want to say the Lakers were about a 6 or 7 seed and weren't much of a threat, even that's not "bad" though. I'd guess some time in the 90s.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 -Halftime-

SilentSoprano
2005 we were bad, 2006 we were average. We've only missed the playoffs like 6 times in 60 years. Pretty amazing stuff. Teams that never improve aren't doing things the right way. Teams like Toronto wonder why they always suck but their the ones giving out 20 million dollar deals to role players. If they spent their money wisely and draft picks wisely they'd improve, too.
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 SilentSoprano

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

-Halftime-

2005 we were bad, 2006 we were average. We've only missed the playoffs like 6 times in 60 years. Pretty amazing stuff. Teams that never improve aren't doing things the right way. Teams like Toronto wonder why they always suck but their the ones giving out 20 million dollar deals to role players. If they spent their money wisely and draft picks wisely they'd improve, too.

Yeah I think that's a big reason. The Nets are the only previously "bad" team that are putting all the right pieces together. It also helps that the Lakers have such a revered history and one of the best players in the league. It attracts nearly every damn free agent in some form.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#113 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
So those this put the Lakers over OKC?
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 JML897

So those this put the Lakers over OKC?Master_Live

I say no. They're definitely contenders now, though.

Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Major_Snake
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"][QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

SilentSoprano

Yeah I think that's a big reason. The Nets are the only previously "bad" team that are putting all the right pieces together. It also helps that the Lakers have such a revered history and one of the best players in the league. It attracts nearly every damn free agent in some form.

Forrealz, he even gets his enemies to join him. He had some personal altercations with Matt Barnes and Ron Artest and they joined him the next year or so. Now Nash is there.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 -Halftime-
OKC are the western champs until someone beats them. But this will definitely even the playing field.
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 SilentSoprano

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"] 2005 we were bad, 2006 we were average. We've only missed the playoffs like 6 times in 60 years. Pretty amazing stuff. Teams that never improve aren't doing things the right way. Teams like Toronto wonder why they always suck but their the ones giving out 20 million dollar deals to role players. If they spent their money wisely and draft picks wisely they'd improve, too. Major_Snake

Forrealz, he even gets his enemies to join him. He had some personal altercations with Matt Barnes and Ron Artest and they joined him the next year or so. Now Nash is there.

I didn't even think about that. Not many people can manage to convert enemies to friends.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 JML897
All these teams are getting stronger and the Bulls are just getting left in the dust right now. This season's gonna suck.
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Bobbles
F*** no. OKC is young.. and can get better. The Lakers got a guy who's pushin 40 and will improve their offense but he's a liability on the other end.
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 SilentSoprano

Westbrook vs. Nash

Kobe vs. Durant

Artest vs. Sefolosha

Gasol vs. Ibaka

Bynum vs. Perkins (heh)

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#121 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
I hate Nash, plain and simple and even as a Laker fan I hope the team burns if/when I see him in a Laker uniform.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 JML897

I hate Nash, plain and simple and even as a Laker fan I hope the team burns if/when I see him in a Laker uniform. TheWalkingGhost

You clearly aren't really a Laker fan then

Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts

Nike_Air
he may not be there either.
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 SilentSoprano

All these teams are getting stronger and the Bulls are just getting left in the dust right now. This season's gonna suck. JML897

If Rose comes at least somewhat close to his normal form, and they manage to get Roy, I'd say that's improvement right there. As long as Roy actually plays decently. Who knows though, with how badly he was hurting. But losing Osik will definitely suck.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 JML897

[QUOTE="JML897"]All these teams are getting stronger and the Bulls are just getting left in the dust right now. This season's gonna suck. SilentSoprano

If Rose comes at least somewhat close to his normal form, and they manage to get Roy, I'd say that's improvement right there. As long as Roy actually plays decently. Who knows though, with how badly he was hurting. But losing Osik will definitely suck.

IF the Bulls get Brandon Roy he'll probably just be Rip Hamilton 2.0. Plays well when he's healthy, only problem is he'll rarely be healthy.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 TheWalkingGhost

[QUOTE="JML897"]All these teams are getting stronger and the Bulls are just getting left in the dust right now. This season's gonna suck. SilentSoprano

If they lose him. But the Bulls season depends on Teague IMO. If he plays well that means the Bulls can start Rose at SG.
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts

As a hawks fan it's funny hearing people say that the nets are going to turn from being a non-playoff team to a top 3 team in the east because of joe johnson, with or without howard.

I'll just sit back and let reality hit them when the season starts. Enjoy years of mediocrity due to your team's contracts!

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Bobbles
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

No_Hablo_Ingles

Yeah cause your trash team is on his sack.
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 SilentSoprano

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]All these teams are getting stronger and the Bulls are just getting left in the dust right now. This season's gonna suck. TheWalkingGhost

If they lose him. But the Bulls season depends on Teague IMO. If he plays well that means the Bulls can start Rose at SG.

Yeah, the Asik thing isn't for sure yet, but it isn't looking too good. And when you mentioned Teague, I thought you meant Jeff for a second. I was like...what the hell? When did this happen? Then I realized you meant Marquis, their draft pick.

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="Bobbles"][QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

Bobbles

Yeah cause your trash team is on his sack.

I don't want Lin.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 JML897
I'm not really expecting Teague to be /that/ good especially this year. He'll probably fit in nicely as a backup PG when the Bulls are fully healthy but I don't see him being much better than that
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 TheWalkingGhost

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

SilentSoprano

Yeah, the Asik thing isn't for sure yet, but it isn't looking too good. And when you mentioned Teague, I thought you meant Jeff for a second. I was like...what the hell? When did this happen? Then I realized you meant Marquis, their draft pick.

Don't tell no hablo sports that, I have been trying to tell him it isn't a sure thing yet. Depends on how much the Bulls value him, they may keep him but if they do then Boozer is 100% going to get the amnesty within 2 years. Yeah, I meant Marquis, he is there because Rose got hurt and they need a point guard. If he plays really well then that changes everything. That would allow the Bulls to move Rose to the SG position.
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 SilentSoprano

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]If they lose him. But the Bulls season depends on Teague IMO. If he plays well that means the Bulls can start Rose at SG. TheWalkingGhost

Don't tell no hablo sports that, I have been trying to tell him it isn't a sure thing yet. Depends on how much the Bulls value him, they may keep him but if they do then Boozer is 100% going to get the amnesty within 2 years. Yeah, I meant Marquis, he is there because Rose got hurt and they need a point guard. If he plays really well then that changes everything. That would allow the Bulls to move Rose to the SG position.

But what about Korver?! That guy is fire sometimes...if Rose starts at SG, that means Hamilton would be on the bench behind him, right? And Korver would play less than he already does?

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#134 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Nash to Lakers = AWESOME!
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 SilentSoprano

Nash to Lakers = AWESOME!The-Apostle

Awesome for now, but in 3-4 years when both he and Kobe retire, not having those draft picks is going to hurt. I guess if they get a title or two, it will be worth it, but if they fall short, it will kind of stink. At least, I'm assuming they will both be retired by then, but who knows.

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]If they lose him. But the Bulls season depends on Teague IMO. If he plays well that means the Bulls can start Rose at SG. TheWalkingGhost

must suck being both wrong and stubborn.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 JML897

SilentSoprano

But what about Korver?! That guy is fire sometimes...if Rose starts at SG, that means Hamilton would be on the bench behind him, right? And Korver would play less than he already does?

Korver might not be a Bull this year, same with Watson and Brewer

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 SilentSoprano

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"] Don't tell no hablo sports that, I have been trying to tell him it isn't a sure thing yet. Depends on how much the Bulls value him, they may keep him but if they do then Boozer is 100% going to get the amnesty within 2 years. Yeah, I meant Marquis, he is there because Rose got hurt and they need a point guard. If he plays really well then that changes everything. That would allow the Bulls to move Rose to the SG position.JML897

Korver might not be a Bull this year, same with Watson and Brewer

What?! That's like...not even the same Bulls team then. Just seems so weird. No more Brewer dunks and solid play from Watson, and clutch 3s from Korver.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 TheWalkingGhost

SilentSoprano

Korver is only good when he gets good looks, he is not very good at making his own shots. I am not sure about his future, I don't think the Bulls have picked up his contract yet and he has talked in the past tense about them sometimes. As for Hamilton, he can play the Small Forward position. So both Korver and Hamilton can play on the second team together, which would help Korver get good looks.
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 TheWalkingGhost

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]Nash to Lakers = AWESOME!SilentSoprano

Awesome for now, but in 3-4 years when both he and Kobe retire, not having those draft picks is going to hurt. I guess if they get a title or two, it will be worth it, but if they fall short, it will kind of stink. At least, I'm assuming they will both be retired by then, but who knows.

Nash is 38, 3 to 4 years is a stretch. I would give him max 2. Hard to see him play to 41.
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 SilentSoprano

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]Nash to Lakers = AWESOME!TheWalkingGhost

Nash is 38, 3 to 4 years is a stretch. I would give him max 2. Hard to see him play to 41.

Ouch. That makes it even worse. What about Kobe? Think he can play at a later age? Or are his knees too screwed up?

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 TheWalkingGhost

SilentSoprano

Ouch. That makes it even worse. What about Kobe? Think he can play at a later age? Or are his knees too screwed up?

Kobe will be 34 next month, I think even with his knees he should be able to play for atleast 4 years barring more injuries. But I think they will need to limit his minutes in a few years.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#143 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Someone thats willing to pass to the blackhole chucker, sounds like contending hollywood material to me.

Fact

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts
Finally get to see Nash play on a legit contender. Can't wait to see them go up against OKC. Wait they got him for only future draft picks? Wow the Lakers always seem to get steals...
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#145 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Steve Nash a Laker? Funny how times have changed.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 SilentSoprano

Finally get to see Nash play on a legit contender. Can't wait to see them go up against OKC. Wait they got him for only future draft picks? Wow the Lakers always seem to get steals...Jagged3dge

Nash is only going to last another 2-3 years, and the draft picks the Lakers gave the Suns are really high ones (1st Round and 2nd Round). I'd say it wasn'ttoo much of a steal.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 TheWalkingGhost

[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]Finally get to see Nash play on a legit contender. Can't wait to see them go up against OKC. Wait they got him for only future draft picks? Wow the Lakers always seem to get steals...SilentSoprano

Nash is only going to last another 2-3 years, and the draft picks the Lakers gave the Suns are really high ones (1st Round and 2nd Round). I'd say it wasn'ttoo much of a steal.

It was a steal...By Phoenix. LA got major league hosed. The Suns got Dragic and Beasley and a good shot at Gordon, combine that with 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders for an old fossil......:lol:
ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#149 ohjtbehaaave
Member since 2002 • 2114 Posts

[QUOTE="ohjtbehaaave"][QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

So if the Nets manage to actually get Howard, they'll pretty much have gone from being one of the worst teams to one of the better teams, in a matter of a couple of weeks? Does anyone else find that ridiculous?

SilentSoprano

Why is it ridiculous? Nets gambled trading for D.Williams from the Jazz and it payed off. They traded for Joe Johnson. And if they can trade for D.Howard.... it's about the Nets management having acquired the pieces for deals and making enough salary cap space to pull it all off. It should be applauded being able to turn a team around with smart management, not knocked. The Heat just having 2 All Stars walk in the door at no cost for players or draft picks is what's ridiculous.

I'm talking more about the fact that a couple years ago they had the worst record in the league, and were the laughing stock of the NBA. Now they will potentially have Williams, Wallace, Johnson, and Howard, making them one of the better teams in the East. It just seems weird when I think of it like that. It's not everyday you see a team turn around that fast. At least the Heat were already a good team with just Wade; they didn't completely turn around in a matter of 1-2 seasons like the Nets. It is good management like you said...it just seems crazy.

What the Nets did is what NBA team MUST do to rebuild. Shed all your salary and make huge cap space to acquire star players... acquire tons of draft picks and decent pieces to trade to be able to absorb a huge contract like J.Johnson and D.Williams. It's the reason Atlanta traded Johnson etc.... to make salary cap space while they are rebuilding. They are now going to do what the Nets did the last 2 years... rebuild and shed salary.

As far as the Heat... just having 2 All Stars walk in the door to join another All Star.... it's totally bogus. It's not the Heats fault... and the Heat fans shouldn't care... but it's just a flawed system when that can happen. Makes the NBA look like a joke actually.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#150 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Lin going back to the Rockets for a second meeting. It would be hilarious if they lose Lin, after not getting Nash.