NBA 2012 Off-season Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Since no one created the off-season thread, I suppose I'll make one. There is some interesting stories this off-season. Will the Big 3 stay intact? What team will Dwight Howard go to? When will Bosh become extinct like the rest of the dinsoaurs?

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts
Knicks are #1. Carmelo Anthony is the best player of all time. Jeremy Lin is an elite point guard. Nash is going to NY. CHAMPIONSHIP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Knicks are #1. Carmelo Anthony is the best player of all time. Jeremy Lin is an elite point guard. Nash is going to NY. CHAMPIONSHIPSilverbond
That sounds pretty reasonable.

deuce4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deuce4eva
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

Knicks are #1. Carmelo Anthony is the best player of all time. Jeremy Lin is an elite point guard. Nash is going to NY. CHAMPIONSHIPSilverbond

About right only that Carmelo is the best scorer of all time.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
About time this thread was made. "According to sources, Josh Smith has turned into lead recruiter trying to convince Dwight Howard to consider playing in Atlanta long term." Omg...this is actually happening, I must be dreaming. Danny Ferry is a genius. The best thing about all of this? We will even have enough money to get cp3 next year if he explores free agency.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

About time this thread was made. "According to sources, Josh Smith has turned into lead recruiter trying to convince Dwight Howard to consider playing in Atlanta long term." Omg...this is actually happening, I must be dreaming. Danny Ferry is a genius. The best thing about all of this? We will even have enough money to get cp3 next year if he explores free agency.ice144
Yeah, read about the two trades Ferry made. Good to see some good things happening down in Atlanta.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

FACT.

All other teams are a waste.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="Silverbond"]Knicks are #1. Carmelo Anthony is the best player of all time. Jeremy Lin is an elite point guard. Nash is going to NY. CHAMPIONSHIPBikouchu35

FACT.

All other teams are a waste.

Seriously.

deuce4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deuce4eva

KNICKS CHAMPIONS 2013.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Place those predictions in the betting thread.
Thesuperstar2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 1

#11 Thesuperstar2k
Member since 2012 • 372 Posts

Celticts nba champions 2013.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Please please please Pacers do not become the Atlanta Hawks 2.0. Don't just keep the cast together and make marginal acquisitions...!
Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
Bobcats Champions 2013! Michael Kidd Gilchrist is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every basketball player ever! 30 ppg 12 rpg 10 apg 3 spg 2 bpg confirmed!
GHO5T-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GHO5T-
Member since 2011 • 419 Posts

The Hawks have agreed to deal All-Star guard Joe Johnson to the Brooklyn Nets for five players and a draft pick, and Atlanta will send forward Marvin Williams to the Utah Jazz for guard Devin Harris.

A person familiar with the Hawks-nets deal told The Associated Press on Monday night that Atlanta will receive guards Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar and DeShawn Stevenson and forwards Jordan Williams and Johan Petro, along with a draft pick Brooklyn received from Houston in a prior deal. The selection only belongs to the Nets if it is not a lottery pick.

Source: NBA.com

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheWalkingGhost

The Hawks have agreed to deal All-Star guard Joe Johnson to the Brooklyn Nets for five players and a draft pick, and Atlanta will send forward Marvin Williams to the Utah Jazz for guard Devin Harris.

A person familiar with the Hawks-nets deal told The Associated Press on Monday night that Atlanta will receive guards Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar and DeShawn Stevenson and forwards Jordan Williams and Johan Petro, along with a draft pick Brooklyn received from Houston in a prior deal. The selection only belongs to the Nets if it is not a lottery pick.

Source: NBA.com

GHO5T-
Good on getting that dead weight contract off the books.
deuce4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deuce4eva

Bobcats Champions 2013! Michael Kidd Gilchrist is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every basketball player ever! 30 ppg 12 rpg 10 apg 3 spg 2 bpg confirmed!TheWalkingGhost

The troll is in denial.:lol:

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheWalkingGhost

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]Bobcats Champions 2013! Michael Kidd Gilchrist is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every basketball player ever! 30 ppg 12 rpg 10 apg 3 spg 2 bpg confirmed!deuce4eva

The troll is in denial.:lol:

Oh the irony. :roll:
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
If I'm the Magic's GM, I'm trading Dwight's pouting ass to like the Charlote Bobcats just to piss him off lol. For real, though, WISH LISTS for TRADES???? WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE NBA??????? You get traded where management gets the best deal. End of story. Enough with this disloyal, spoiled, petty "wish list" crap.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

So apperantly the Nets are still the front runner for Dwight Howard.

Howardbroussardtweet1_original

Howardbroussardtweet2_original

Nets are willing to send the Magic everything they got for Howard. Would they still have room to sign D.Will though?

If so imagine a team with D.Will, Joe Johnson, Howard, and Gerald Wallace. They'll probably have a god awful bench though.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Thefatness16

Howardwojtweet_original

Kris Kardashian would actually be sent to a third team.

Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts

Nets are willing to send the Magic everything they got for Howard. Would they still have room to sign D.Will though?

If so imagine a team with D.Will, Joe Johnson, Howard, and Gerald Wallace. They'll probably have a god awful bench though.

Thefatness16
Dwill there their FA, so they can go over the cap to sign him. As I said yesterday, it isn't impossible to get Dwight the salaries just have to match.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Thefatness16

Dwill there their FA, so they can go over the cap to sign him. As I said yesterday, it isn't impossible to get Dwight the salaries just have to match. No_Hablo_Ingles

Ah, so this is still very possible.

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 No_Hablo_Ingles

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]Dwill there their FA, so they can go over the cap to sign him. As I said yesterday, it isn't impossible to get Dwight the salaries just have to match. Thefatness16

yes, but I find it unlikely. The salaries don't have to match exactly since the Nets still have 5 mill in cap. The Nets have been offering this same deal for over a year and the magic want no part in it. The 3 or 4 first round picks are useless. The Nets would have a lineup of Williams, Johnson, Wallace, whoever, Howard, which means at best the Magic would get late 20s. If the Magic trade Dwight, they will want to go rebuilding mode, meaning large non-expiring contracts, and late first round picks won't be enough. Would be different if the Nets gave up a building block like a Bynum, but Lopez and Brooks (who is good, but not great) aren't. Maybe I'm being bias, but I would do that deal when Rockets can offer me Martin/Lowry and 2 rookies of their choice to rent him.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Thefatness16

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]Dwill there their FA, so they can go over the cap to sign him. As I said yesterday, it isn't impossible to get Dwight the salaries just have to match. No_Hablo_Ingles

yes, but I find it unlikely. The salaries don't have to match exactly since the Nets still have 5 mill in cap. The Nets have been offering this same deal for over a year and the magic want no part in it. The 3 or 4 first round picks are useless. The Nets would have a lineup of Williams, Johnson, Wallace, whoever, Howard, which means at best the Magic would get late 20s. If the Magic trade Dwight, they will want to go rebuilding mode, meaning large non-expiring contracts, and late first round picks won't be enough. Would be different if the Nets gave up a building block like a Bynum, but Lopez and Brooks (who is good, but not great) aren't. Maybe I'm being bias, but I would do that deal when Rockets can offer me Martin/Lowry and 2 rookies of their choice to rent him.

You're right Magic still aren;t very interested. Only reason this is going down is Howards insisting.

Howardwojtweet3_original

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 No_Hablo_Ingles
yeah, I think the Magic need to regain some leverage like the Nuggets did with Melo. Keep him until a deal blows you away. Maybe the Nets can get other teams 1st round picks to make the deal more reasonable, but the Nets picks simply aren't good enough because they will almost certainly be low picks Trade value for Dwight is low because he won't resign with any team other than Nets and the Nets do not have assets like the Knicks did and there seems to be only team willing to rent. Lakers would trade Bynum, which is the best possible deal for Magic, but not unless Dwight resigns
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Thefatness16

Heat meet with Ray Allen on Thursday. I hope they pick him up.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Thefatness16
Too bad we can't get both Ray and Camby.
Thesuperstar2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#33 Thesuperstar2k
Member since 2012 • 372 Posts

Thefatness16
I hope not.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
>Owners lock the players out because they claim to be losing too much money >Owners then do things like pay Landry Fields $20 million
deuce4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deuce4eva

>Owners lock the players out because they claim to be losing too much money >Owners then do things like pay Landry Fields $20 millionJML897

:| The backloading needs to stop but Fields sucks way overpayed.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9723 Posts

Thefatness16
Yeah, they need to do something about their bench. They'll have to give their starters a ton of minutes.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Thefatness16

Celtics just got Jason Terry. I guess this pushes Allen away from them more.

deuce4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deuce4eva

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

GameboyTroy

Yeah, they need to do something about their bench. They'll have to give their starters a ton of minutes.

Like that stopped Miami just sign solid players for minium the Nets will be rolling.

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
^ seriously. you have a team with Dwight, D Will, Wallace, and Joe Johnson and you don't even really need a great bench. Heat proved that this year
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts
This thread should be re-titled Knicks 2012 Off-season Thread. The Knicks are the only team that matters.
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheWalkingGhost

The Lakers and Magic have had talks about a possible deal, and plan to talk further about constructing a trade. No deals are imminent, and the process has remained fluid as teams have begun to inquire with more serious offers for Howard. Sources say there is one other trade scenario for a significant player that intrigues Magic general manager Rob Hennigan, but that target is unclear. Before the Magic would agree to consummate a trade for Bynum, they would need to know they could sign him to a contract extension, sources said. Bynum is entering the final year of his contract in the 2012-13 season. Whats more, Bynum wouldnt nearly be enough to satisfy Hennigans desires for a return on Howard. The Lakers would need to send draft picks and absorb long-term money off the Magics payroll, sources said.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/07/03/report-howard-for-bynum-up-next/?ls=iref%3Anbahpt1

Theres also that bit about Howard not wanting to play in Los Angeles or as second fiddle to Kobe Bryant. That would need to be addressed before any potential deals could get rolling. (The Lakers were initially on Howards preferred list of teams to play, along with the Nets and Mavericks, but disappeared after rumblings about a rift between Howard and Bryant began to spread.)

However positively the Magic feel about Bynum, they still need the Lakers to take back one of their expensive veteran contracts Hedo Turkoglu or Jason Richardson as part of any proposed trade. With Bynum, Orlando could use cap space to quickly retool its roster around him and become an Eastern Conference. Bynum is coming off his best season for the Lakers, averaging 18.7 points and 11.8 rebounds. Still, his immaturity at times still left Lakers coaches and officials unsettled about his disposition to be an every-night dominant player.

Howard wants to be nobodies Pippen and the Lakers would need to pick up either Turkoglu or Richardson which would be difficult for them to do without trading Gasol in the process. The Nets are still the most likely choice and the Magic getting Brooks and Lopez combined with picks is the far better deal LA can't match.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Deron Williams just tweeted that he's staying with the Nets
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]yeah, I think the Magic need to regain some leverage like the Nuggets did with Melo. Keep him until a deal blows you away. Maybe the Nets can get other teams 1st round picks to make the deal more reasonable, but the Nets picks simply aren't good enough because they will almost certainly be low picks Trade value for Dwight is low because he won't resign with any team other than Nets and the Nets do not have assets like the Knicks did and there seems to be only team willing to rent. Lakers would trade Bynum, which is the best possible deal for Magic, but not unless Dwight resigns

The Lakers and Magic have had talks about a possible deal, and plan to talk further about constructing a trade. No deals are imminent, and the process has remained fluid as teams have begun to inquire with more serious offers for Howard. Sources say there is one other trade scenario for a significant player that intrigues Magic general manager Rob Hennigan, but that target is unclear. Before the Magic would agree to consummate a trade for Bynum, they would need to know they could sign him to a contract extension, sources said. Bynum is entering the final year of his contract in the 2012-13 season. Whats more, Bynum wouldnt nearly be enough to satisfy Hennigans desires for a return on Howard. The Lakers would need to send draft picks and absorb long-term money off the Magics payroll, sources said.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/07/03/report-howard-for-bynum-up-next/?ls=iref%3Anbahpt1 Read.

Theres also that bit about Howard not wanting to play in Los Angeles or as second fiddle to Kobe Bryant. That would need to be addressed before any potential deals could get rolling. (The Lakers were initially on Howards preferred list of teams to play, along with the Nets and Mavericks, but disappeared after rumblings about a rift between Howard and Bryant began to spread.)

However positively the Magic feel about Bynum, they still need the Lakers to take back one of their expensive veteran contracts Hedo Turkoglu or Jason Richardson as part of any proposed trade. With Bynum, Orlando could use cap space to quickly retool its roster around him and become an Eastern Conference. Bynum is coming off his best season for the Lakers, averaging 18.7 points and 11.8 rebounds. Still, his immaturity at times still left Lakers coaches and officials unsettled about his disposition to be an every-night dominant player.

Howard wants to be nobodies Pippen and the Lakers would need to pick up either Turkoglu or Richardson which would be difficult for them to do without trading Gasol in the process. Just like with Asik, you need to back up your arguments with facts and not opinions. The Nets are still the most likely choice and the Magic getting Brooks and Lopez combined with picks is the far better deal LA can't match.

read what I said. Try again later
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheWalkingGhost
Deron Williams just tweeted that he's staying with the NetsJML897
What reason would he have to leave?
deuce4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deuce4eva

Jason Kidd coming to the Knicks. Sounds good to me. Even better Nash/Kidd/Lin greatest PG trio ever.:shock:

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 No_Hablo_Ingles

Jason Kidd coming to the Knicks. Sounds good to me. Even better Nash/Kidd/Lin greatest PG trio ever.:shock:

deuce4eva
Lin looks like he is going to Rockets
deuce4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deuce4eva

[QUOTE="deuce4eva"]

No_Hablo_Ingles

No .:x Just take Dragic and leave him alone you had your chance once. We can match any offer so Lin's agent is just going to get him the best deal. Nash might be long gone, but he is giving us time to work and Sign-and Trade. Kidd will sign for the veteran's minimum so no worries there. Kidd likes Melo,Amare, and especially Chandler. If you backload the contract which you probably will because you wanna be dirty like that yeah we might not sign him.

No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 No_Hablo_Ingles

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="deuce4eva"]

deuce4eva

No .:x Just take Dragic and leave him alone you had your chance once. We can match any offer so Lin's agent is just going to get him the best deal. Nash might be long gone, but he is giving us time to work and Sign-and Trade. Kidd will sign for the veteran's minimum so no worries there. Kidd likes Melo,Amare, and especially Chandler.

8 mill a year, backloaded to hell. Not going to match, just like Asik.
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheWalkingGhost
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/07/03/lakers-enter-fray-for-steve-nash/?ls=iref:nbahpt1 The Lakers seem to want Nash. But from that it seems neither the Knicks or Lakers could offer him much without a sign and trade. The Raptors kinda rained on NY's parade when they offered Fields $20 million. The Mavs also want Nash.