User Lists: 0

#254 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@drlostrib said:
@tomalevine said:

@RedEyedMonster8:

It is not. The regular flu is more deadly

false yet again

Again, I think it depends upon your definition of more deadly. Currently, the flu has killed 20,000 people in the US and Covid-19 has killed 63. However, covid-19 has an estimated mortality rate of 1% - whereas the current flu strain is less than 1/10th of that, and experts are predicting that covid-19 is potentially more contagious than the seasonal flu. Neither are to be taken lightly, but obviously covid-19 has the potential of having far more devastating consequences.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#255 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@sonicare said:
@drlostrib said:
@tomalevine said:

@RedEyedMonster8:

false yet again

Again, I think it depends upon your definition of more deadly. Currently, the flu has killed 20,000 people in the US and Covid-19 has killed 63. However, covid-19 has an estimated mortality rate of 1% - whereas the current flu strain is less than 1/10th of that, and experts are predicting that covid-19 is potentially more contagious than the seasonal flu. Neither are to be taken lightly, but obviously covid-19 has the potential of having far more devastating consequences.

it's still a pandemic

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#256 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@drlostrib said:
@sonicare said:
@drlostrib said:
@tomalevine said:

@RedEyedMonster8:

false yet again

it's still a pandemic

That it is.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#257 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

Yep. From what I've read, Italy noticed it late and allowed it to circulate untested/untracked which caused it to grow unchecked in an aging population.

It doesn't really matter what causes the testing to be inadequate. If you have inadequate testing you'll be blind. If you're blind, you'll either be forced to implement broad heavy handed policy responses as Italy's doing now, or it will continue to grow unchecked. And if you economically force untested sick people to work through the disease, it will spread even more rapidly because self-regulation won't be an option.

From the beginning a lot of European countries did not take this seriously enough. Underestimating the infectious rate, no information.

Early people most likely thought they had the flu and probably waited far to long before visiting the doctor or waiting until it was an emergency. Allowing it to spread and then requiring a lot of resources to get well again. Right before the government took drastic action here, there was unofficial estimates that it would 2 weeks for the health care system here to be overloaded from all the people needing help.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

"Feb. 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. … Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”"

YIKES!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#259 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

@sonicare said:
@drlostrib said:
@tomalevine said:

@RedEyedMonster8:

false yet again

i can't tell you how many of my conservative friends/family on sm still start every conronavirus discussion with "the flu is more deadly and we don't shut down the country every winter!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#260 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@comp_atkins said:
@sonicare said:
@drlostrib said:
@tomalevine said:

@RedEyedMonster8:

false yet again

i can't tell you how many of my conservative friends/family on sm still start every conronavirus discussion with "the flu is more deadly and we don't shut down the country every winter!"

Yeah, a lot of people don't quite understand the threat. Part of it may be that it's just not something were accustomed to - never seen something like this in our lifetimes. It seems out of touch with our reality. The countries that seem to do the best are the ones that have dealt with SARS epidemic in the past - not their first rodeo.

As an aside, I can't imagine what it must have been like to live in the times of smallpox - the ultimate pandemic. More contagious than either covid-19 or the flu and much more deadly - has 33-35% mortality rate for all comers regardless of health. Mother nature can be one mean lady.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#261 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@sonicare said:
@drlostrib said:
@tomalevine said:

@RedEyedMonster8:

false yet again

And you know the funny thing, they are actually correct.

Because you seem to confuse deaths with mortality rate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#262 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@Jacanuk: you should start a business where you just go around town moving goal posts.

You'd be great at it

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@comp_atkins: You have smart family/friends, you should listen to them.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 Jacanuk

@Nuck81 said:

@Jacanuk: you should start a business where you just go around town moving goal posts.

You'd be great at it

Already have a business but thanks for the tip.

But not moving any goalposts, the facts right now is not that the covid is more deadly, it has a higher mortality rate only because the shadow number is not revealed.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Zaryia

Trump gives himself 10 out of 10 on coronavirus response

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 comp_atkins

@Jacanuk said:
@comp_atkins said:
@sonicare said:
@drlostrib said:
@tomalevine said:

@RedEyedMonster8:

false yet again

And you know the funny thing, they are actually correct.

Because you seem to confuse deaths with mortality rate.

ahh the internet. where every discussion ultimately ends up in a semantics argument before fading away.

yes, i'm defining "deadly" as the probability at which the illness would kill an individual and for the purpose of this conversation is the proper use.

the definition you're using and so many GOPpers seem to use is a simple count of how many people are killed by the illness. this is simply wrong in this case.

for example: in the US in the late 1920's around 15K people died a year in automobile accidents. in the last decade around 35-40K people died. 15K < 35K. by your definition of "deadly" that means a car in 2018 is more deadly than one that was being driven in 1928. most can see this is silly argument to make given the massive improvements made in 90 years and the OBVIOUS increased likely hood a given driver has of surviving a crash in a modern automobiles.

but hey, 15K < 35K so 1928 cars must be less deadly right?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By Jacanuk

@comp_atkins said:

ahh the internet. where every discussion ultimately ends up in a semantics argument before fading away.

yes, i'm defining "deadly" as the probability at which the illness would kill an individual and for the purpose of this conversation is the proper use.

the definition you're using and so many GOPpers seem to use is a simple count of how many people are killed by the illness. this is simply wrong in this case.

for example: in the US in the late 1920's around 15K people died a year in automobile accidents. in the last decade around 35-40K people died. 15K < 35K. by your definition of "deadly" that means a car in 2018 is more deadly than one that was being driven in 1928. most can see this is silly argument to make given the massive improvements made in 90 years and the OBVIOUS increased likely hood a given driver has of surviving a crash in a modern automobiles.

Ahh, the internet and the Gamespot forums.

First, of all I am not talking about the actual death toll alone, I am talking about the facts here, that for every 1 hospitalized there is estimated 10-100 infected who are not counted.

So if deaths are counted by the number of hospitalized who unfortunately does not make it, I hope you can see the difference in numbers and %

Also, it´s hard to look at flu numbers, because the actual deaths and infected are not normally registered accurately.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By Zaryia

Even Fox News nutjobs are backtracking after lying for weeks about the virus (like Trump).

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2020/03/17/fox-news-coronavirus-coverage-carlson-hannity-watters-orig.cnn-business

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 comp_atkins

@Jacanuk said:
@comp_atkins said:

First, of all I am not talking about the actual death toll alone, I am talking about the facts here, that forever 1 hospitalized there is estimated 10-100 infected who are not counted.

So if deaths are counted by the number of hospitalized who unfortunately does not make it, I hope you can see the difference in numbers and %

Also, it´s hard to look at flu numbers, because the actual deaths and infected are not normally registered accurately.

i totally agree that the actual number of infected is likely far higher than we've confirmed w/ testing as there will be plenty of infected people w/ mild symptoms that never get tested. the same applies to the flu as well though. which i'd argue lowers both covid19 AND flu mortality rates.

so again, it's improper to make the statement that the flu is more deadly, speaking from a mortality rate standpoint.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 Jacanuk

@comp_atkins said:
@Jacanuk said:
@comp_atkins said:

First, of all I am not talking about the actual death toll alone, I am talking about the facts here, that for every 1 hospitalized there is an estimated 10-100 infected, who are not counted.

i totally agree that the actual number of infected is likely far higher than we've confirmed w/ testing as there will be plenty of infected people w/ mild symptoms that never get tested. the same applies to the flu as well though. which i'd argue lowers both covid19 AND flu mortality rates.

so again, it's improper to make the statement that the flu is more deadly, speaking from a mortality rate standpoint.

Well, i will 100% agree with you there, the mortality rate is higher

But I will still doubt the actual rate compared to the flu since we have various facts that are not taken into account. like the fact that the flu is more spread over a period, and many of the deaths we see from Covid, is due to lack of proper care.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

2 Members of Congress are confirmed to have covid-19.

Extremely safe bet a lot more have it too now, whether they know it yet or not.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 comp_atkins

@Jacanuk said:
@comp_atkins said:
@Jacanuk said:
@comp_atkins said:

First, of all I am not talking about the actual death toll alone, I am talking about the facts here, that for every 1 hospitalized there is an estimated 10-100 infected, who are not counted.

Well, i will 100% agree with you there, the mortality rate is higher

But I will still doubt the actual rate compared to the flu since we have various facts that are not taken into account. like the fact that the flu is more spread over a period, and many of the deaths we see from Covid, is due to lack of proper care.

well, it's hard to obtain proper care if a healthcare system is overrun from people in need of specialized care, which, you know, WOULDN'T happen if the disease were less serious.