KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

BTW this may end up being nothing more than another nuisance in well developed nations, but think of the situation in poorer countries like in Africa and places like Vietnam and Indonesia. I do think comparing it to the flu is interesting because this is not replacing the flu. The flu kills lot's of people yes and that's probably not great? And this is something new on top of that. Sure it can always be worse but I like to aim for better, not worse. I hope that we'll find ways to ease things quickly.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#202  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

BTW this may end up being nothing more than another nuisance in well developed nations, but think of the situation in poorer countries like in Africa and places like Vietnam and Indonesia. I do think comparing it to the flu is interesting because this is not replacing the flu. The flu kills lot's of people yes and that's probably not great? And this is something new on top of that. Sure it can always be worse but I like to aim for better, not worse. I hope that we'll find ways to ease things quickly.

Between 2013 and 2016, the Ebola outbreak in West Africa killed 11,323 people. In the US, this flu season alone there have already been over 10,000 deaths. Do you remember all the hype, fear, and hysteria the media spread about it then? More people should learn from similar, recent events, and realize this is a rerun.

Before saying the US is a bigger country, those numbers include all of West Africa, which combined has more people than the United States. So more people, most would consider them those "poorer countries like in africa" and it killed fewer people over 3 years, than one flu season in the US. And it was blown WAY out of proportion. Panic was created by media hysteria over nothing.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts

A man in Florida was billed over $3,000 dollars for a coronavirus test. Most people in the US will avoid testing and treatment if they experience symptoms.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#204 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

A man in Florida was billed over $3,000 dollars for a coronavirus test. Most people in the US will avoid testing and treatment if they experience symptoms.

Lack of sick days... low paying jobs handling food. The potential for infecting many is there.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@eoten said:
@KungfuKitten said:

Between 2013 and 2016, the Ebola outbreak in West Africa killed 11,323 people. In the US, this flu season alone there have already been over 10,000 deaths. Do you remember all the hype, fear, and hysteria the media spread about it then? More people should learn from similar, recent events, and realize this is a rerun.

Before saying the US is a bigger country, those numbers include all of West Africa, which combined has more people than the United States. So more people, most would consider them those "poorer countries like in africa" and it killed fewer people over 3 years, than one flu season in the US. And it was blown WAY out of proportion. Panic was created by media hysteria over nothing.

I don't see fear and hysteria. I just see them fact checking, and reporting on the facts.

And this appears to trigger Trump and Trumpers.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#206 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts
Loading Video...

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Zaryia

@eoten said:
Loading Video...

Nice video. We've been mostly citing W.H.O. and CDC, as has the media. I wish Trump would watch this and more videos, he keeps lying about it or being wrong about it. Or flat out asking brain-dead questions,

Trump’s baffling coronavirus vaccine event

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/03/trumps-baffling-coronavirus-vaccine-event/

LMAO it's almost hard to imagine that was all real^

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

@n64dd: That was possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen you say here, and that’s saying something.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Zaryia

Why even bother lying about this particular thing?

Fact check: White House falsely claims the coronavirus has been 'contained' in the US

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/07/politics/fact-check-white-house-coronavirus-contained/index.html

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@zaryia said:

Fact check: White House falsely claims the coronavirus has been 'contained' in the US

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/07/politics/fact-check-white-house-coronavirus-contained/index.html

Why post biased news?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

Why post biased news?

Uhh....that's an extremely straight forward fact check. And it isn't the first time,

Kudlow breaks with CDC on coronavirus: ‘We have contained this’

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/25/kudlow-white-house-coronavirus-117402

AP FACT CHECK: Trump's sunny side up take on coronavirus

https://apnews.com/b753e66828b903730b69cbcddbd1c84d

How about just stop lying about this issue? It won't end the world, but it's still pretty serious. No more 12 year old twitter lying IMO.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

Why post biased news?

Uhh....that's an extremely straight forward fact check. And it isn't the first time,

Kudlow breaks with CDC on coronavirus: ‘We have contained this’

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/25/kudlow-white-house-coronavirus-117402

AP FACT CHECK: Trump's sunny side up take on coronavirus

https://apnews.com/b753e66828b903730b69cbcddbd1c84d

How about just stop lying about this issue? It won't end the world, but it's still pretty serious. No more 12 year old twitter lying IMO.

CNN is not an unbiased news source, so all I asked is why post anything biased from them?

And the other links are just meaningless ramblings, Trump does not go A = B, so even AP seem to forget that correlation does not equal causation.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 mattbbpl

So we've got, what, 1700 likely cases in the US?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:

And the other links are just meaningless ramblings, Trump does not go A = B, so even AP seem to forget that correlation does not equal causation.

I do not see what is wrong in that AP link. Please provide citation that the 3 fact check links I gave are wrong.

Quote the portion you feel is incorrect, and find a valid link proving that quote is incorrect while either paraphrasing or quoting the debunking lines within your new links.

Until this is done, your concession is accepted. You can't Qanon your way out of this one and say literally all of my links this week are fake.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

I do not see what is wrong in that AP link. Please provide citation that the 3 fact check links I gave are wrong.

Quote the portion you feel is incorrect, and find a valid link proving that quote is incorrect while either paraphrasing or quoting the debunking lines within your new links.

Until this is done, your concession is accepted. You can't Qanon your way out of this one and say literally all of my links this week are fake.

Let´s take one example

"CORONAVIRUS

TRUMP: “We’re going to have Americans staying home instead of going and spending the money in other countries. And maybe that’s one of the reasons the job numbers are so good.” — remarks to the press Friday."

THE FACTS: That is not one of the reasons the job numbers are so good.

So AP goes straight for the "not true" when in fact they themselves a bit further down, explains the logic behind it.

Trump is probably correct that fewer Americans will go abroad and spend money while the outbreak is active. The flip side is that fewer foreigners may come to the U.S. and spend their money here.

So while it´s probably a very good bet that the effects of the "fewer Americans will go abroad" is not more jobs so early and that the effects may never be "more jobs" Trump´s statement is not a lie. It´s perhaps a bit naive, but hey it´s Trump.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Zaryia

Stop.

Every fact checker has chimed in on incorrect Trump comments regarding Coronavirus. You should probably want him to simply lie less on this serious matter, rather than crying about fact checkers doing their job correctly.

@Jacanuk said:

So AP goes straight for the "not true" when in fact they themselves a bit further down, explains the logic behind it.

Nice opinions, there is nothing incorrect in that paragraph. Your poor reading comprehension is none of my concern, either bring valid citation or stop trying to debunk 5 fact checkers. They are right, that simply is not why the jobs numbers are so good. The next paragraph doesn't debunk their own statement, it explains it.

Also you have quite a bit more from that article and 2 other articles to attempt (and fail) to debunk. How was CNN wrong?

I'll post more for detective Jacanuk to fail on the job on,

Trump’s Mislaid Blame on Obama for Virus Test

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/03/06/trumps-mislaid-blame-on-obama-for-virus-test/

Fact-checking President Donald Trump on the coronavirus

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/feb/28/fact-checking-president-donald-trump-coronavirus/

Get to it, show us how all of these articles are wrong. And please bring citation this time, as no one cares that you didn't read the paragraphs properly.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@Baconstrip78: no idea which post you mean.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#218 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@n64dd: to be fair to you, you do post a lot of stupid shit

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#219 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1348 Posts

Between Trump and Rush Limbaugh's statements regarding the virus I am not surprised to read this article. These guys are painfully deluded and clueless.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:

Stop.

Every fact checker has chimed in on incorrect Trump comments regarding Coronavirus. You should probably want him to simply lie less on this serious matter, rather than crying about fact checkers doing their job correctly.

@Jacanuk said:

Nice opinions, there is nothing incorrect in that paragraph. Your poor reading comprehension is none of my concern, either bring valid citation or stop trying to debunk 5 fact checkers. They are right, that simply is not why the jobs numbers are so good. The next paragraph doesn't debunk their own statement, it explains it.

Also you have quite a bit more from that article and 2 other articles to attempt (and fail) to debunk. How was CNN wrong?

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/03/06/trumps-mislaid-blame-on-obama-for-virus-test/

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/feb/28/fact-checking-president-donald-trump-coronavirus/

Get to it, show us how all of these articles are wrong. And please bring citation this time, as no one cares that you didn't read the paragraphs properly.

Those articles are opinions on the meaning of someone else's statement. And nothing Trump has said is an actual factual lie. Again can Americans staying home in the US instead of going abroad potentially create jobs, sure it could, but is it likely, No not really.

That is the difference.

And again fact-checking today is by most media on the mainstream stage, gone from actual fact-checking to be opinions on their political bias because Trump does not speak clearly, his statements are often mumblings but not outright lies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@Jacanuk: you're having a serious breakout of TNSS.

Have you been particularly lonely lately?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Jacanuk

@Nuck81 said:

@Jacanuk: you're having a serious breakout of TNSS.

Have you been particularly lonely lately?

Don´t you ever get tired of the TDS ?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:

And nothing Trump has said is an actual factual lie.

TRUMP: “This was a very big move. And it was a — it was something that we had to do and we did it very quickly. And now we have tremendous flexibility. Many, many more sites. Many, many more people. And you couldn’t have had that under the Obama rule, and we ended that rule very quickly.” — remarks Wednesday.

THE FACTS: It’s not true that an Obama-era rule limited laboratories run by companies, universities and hospitals from developing and running tests for the coronavirus during an emergency. No such regulation existed.

The Trump administration’s action Saturday only undid a policy that its own Food and Drug Administration put in place. The new action lets labs develop and use coronavirus diagnostic tests before the agency reviews them. Previously, the FDA had only authorized use of a government test developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Under a 2004 federal law, the FDA has wide power to authorize drugs, tests and other therapies during emergencies. That means no legal authority was hindering the Trump administration when it earlier decided to limit testing to public health labs using the CDC test.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

And nothing Trump has said is an actual factual lie.

TRUMP: “This was a very big move. And it was a — it was something that we had to do and we did it very quickly. And now we have tremendous flexibility. Many, many more sites. Many, many more people. And you couldn’t have had that under the Obama rule, and we ended that rule very quickly.” — remarks Wednesday.

THE FACTS: It’s not true that an Obama-era rule limited laboratories run by companies, universities and hospitals from developing and running tests for the coronavirus during an emergency. No such regulation existed.

The Trump administration’s action Saturday only undid a policy that its own Food and Drug Administration put in place. The new action lets labs develop and use coronavirus diagnostic tests before the agency reviews them. Previously, the FDA had only authorized use of a government test developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Under a 2004 federal law, the FDA has wide power to authorize drugs, tests and other therapies during emergencies. That means no legal authority was hindering the Trump administration when it earlier decided to limit testing to public health labs using the CDC test.

So I get you to need it cut in stone, but considering we were talking about the linked AP article, it´s a good bet that I didn´t mean everything else.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#225 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

Stop.

@Jacanuk said:

Those articles are opinions on the meaning of someone else's statement. And nothing Trump has said is an actual factual lie. Again can Americans staying home in the US instead of going abroad potentially create jobs, sure it could, but is it likely, No not really.

That is the difference.

And again fact-checking today is by most media on the mainstream stage, gone from actual fact-checking to be opinions on their political bias because Trump does not speak clearly, his statements are often mumblings but not outright lies.

Pretty much an outright factual lie when Trump claims the virus is 'CONTAINED.'

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 horgen  Moderator

Wasn't there a confirmed case recently at a GOP rally/meeting?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 mattbbpl

@horgen: Yeah, some guy named Schlapp, I think.

It's ok, the president declared we should continue to go to work sick.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 horgen  Moderator

@mattbbpl said:

@horgen: Yeah, some guy named Schlapp, I think.

It's ok, the president declared we should continue to go to work sick.

That is exactly what a lot of people handling your food will do.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 mattbbpl

@horgen: Yep. High health care costs + low hourly wages + lack of sick time = perfect incubator.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

My company is starting to encourage people to work from home.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 horgen  Moderator

@mattbbpl said:

@horgen: Yep. High health care costs + low hourly wages + lack of sick time = perfect incubator.

But that is the way it should be, right? Only people in high paying jobs should get benefits like sick time.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 horgen  Moderator

Just read that about 25% Italians are in quarantine now...

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#233 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@horgen: yeah Italy, Iran, and South Korea are the biggest outbreak areas excluding China, where it started.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Zaryia

@plageus900 said:

My company is starting to encourage people to work from home.

Same.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#235 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@horgen: kinda wild that both Germany and France have double the amount of cases than the US

They are much smaller countries too

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 horgen  Moderator

@jeezers said:

@horgen: kinda wild that both Germany and France have double the amount of cases than the US

They are much smaller countries too

Maybe more testing?

Norway has less people than NYC and around 1/4 as many cases as US.. And since Italy is hit hard, a lot of other European countries gets hit hard as well.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 mattbbpl

@horgen: That's looking likely. If we take Trump's death rate statistic of 1 percent that would mean we're looking at roughly 1900 cases around the country. That would fit in with why our official mortality rate (deaths per confirmed cases) are such an outlier.

It's likely been spreading silently in the us for weeks.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By mattbbpl

Rick Santelli recently floated the idea of giving everyone the virus quickly in order to stem the stock market losses.

Santelli, who is widely credited with helping spark the so-called tea party movement in 2009, made the attention-grabbing COVID-19 comments in a conversation with “The Exchange” anchor Kelly Evans, who asked the volatile, Chicago-based Santelli what the catalyst had been for the recent chaos on Wall Street.

“The catalyst? Just watch your local news. There’s your catalyst,” Santelli said, according to a transcript.

“Of course, people are getting nervous. And listen, I’m not a doctor. I’m not a doctor. All I know is, think about how the world would be if you tried to quarantine everybody because of the generic-type flu. Now I’m not saying this is the generic-type flu. But maybe we’d be just better off if we gave it to everybody, and then in a month it would be over because the mortality rate of this probably isn’t going to be any different if we did it that way than the long-term picture, but the difference is we’re wreaking havoc on global and domestic economies.”

Link

Setting aside the sociopathy of the comment, let's take a look at why that is a bad idea.

Even if we assume symmetric infection rates, "getting it over with" quickly rather than flattening out the pandemic curve leads to a lack of necessary healthcare because it will overwhelm our healthcare infrastructure.

It doesn't help that the US is on the low side of the healthcare system capacity anyway in relation to our peers.

Of course, giving it to everyone quickly will also significantly lower our healthcare capacity since a major component of that capacity is healthcare providers. Even if you make the choice to not give it to healthcare providers, many of them will get it anyway since a majority of the population has it.

This proposal by Santelli is an extreme proposal with very fast infection rates, but our policy decisions of charging high prices for testing, high prices for treatment, and encouraging the ill to work causes a similar ramp-up in infection rates. If that rate ramps up too quickly and we exceed our healthcare system capacity, people will be left untreated for both this disease and others. And an increased number of people will die as a result.

But hey, it will save the stock market some losses. That counts for something, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

@eoten said:
@KungfuKitten said:

Are you seriously comparing flu and Ebola? That 11,300 deaths are from 29,000 cases. That's about 40 % mortality rate. Luckily Ebola doesn't spread as easily as flu. Ebola outbreak on similar level as normal flu would be black death all over again.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 mattbbpl

Both South Korea and China seem to be flattening their curves quite effectively.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 mattbbpl

The NBA has suspended it's season.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

The NBA has suspended it's season.

and corona got tom hanks

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Zaryia

Damn all of Trump's lies over the last 2 weeks look REALLY bad right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Trump tried to buy the Corona vaccine

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#245 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

Rick Santelli recently floated the idea of giving everyone the virus quickly in order to stem the stock market losses.

But hey, it will save the stock market some losses. That counts for something, right?

There may not be lasting immunity to it, either. Meaning if you get it and recover, it's COULD be possible to get it again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#246  Edited By deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

Italy has the worst outbreak and don't they have socialized medicine with "free care"?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 mattbbpl

@sonicare said:
@mattbbpl said:

Italy has the worst outbreak and don't they have socialized medicine with "free care"?

Yep. From what I've read, Italy noticed it late and allowed it to circulate untested/untracked which caused it to grow unchecked in an aging population.

It doesn't really matter what causes the testing to be inadequate. If you have inadequate testing you'll be blind. If you're blind, you'll either be forced to implement broad heavy handed policy responses as Italy's doing now, or it will continue to grow unchecked. And if you economically force untested sick people to work through the disease, it will spread even more rapidly because self-regulation won't be an option.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 mattbbpl

@Icarian: wtf

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@zaryia said:

Damn all of Trump's lies over the last 2 weeks look REALLY bad right now.

You mean to say that they would look bad if people considered facts and truth to matter.

They really don't though.

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

Trump is such a piece of shit for feeding this corona hype and calling it a pandemic.