Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Or what about we just use https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd

And then now listen to the medical professionals who all say that the actual infected are much higher , since not everyone will be registered. I know you go "TDS" blind for facts if they come from political opponents but come on.

Nothing in that link refutes the 2 fact checkers I linked. I believe this is called a red herring, .

Oh and your boy is going off again and being insane,

Trump rallies his base to treat coronavirus as a ‘hoax’

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/28/trump-south-carolina-rally-coronavirus-118269

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — President Donald Trump on Friday night tried to cast the global outbreak of the coronavirus as a liberal conspiracy intended to undermine his first term, lumping it alongside impeachment and the Mueller investigation.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#152  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

No, it doesn't.

FactCheck agrees with reality as well:

Or what about we just use https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd

And then now listen to the medical professionals who all say that the actual infected are much higher , since not everyone will be registered. I know you go "TDS" blind for facts if they come from political opponents but come on.

So we should use a statistic (that isn't measurable) for Covid, but we should disregard the same statistic for Flu, and use this as a means for determining the very specific goalpost you wish to achieve? Such good logic.

By the by 2861/83694, per your map as of 16:00 , is a 3.4% mortality rate.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#153  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

Nothing in that link refutes the 2 fact checkers I linked. I believe this is called a red

Nothing you have said so far, have refuted anything i have said or have proved the initial bias one-sided story true from the washout post.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

Nothing in that link refutes the 2 fact checkers I linked. I believe this is called a red

Nothing you have said so have refuted anything i have said or have proved the inital bias one-sided story from the washout post.

Yes, it is worse than the flu: busting the coronavirus myths

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/28/coronavirus-truth-myths-flu-covid-19-face-masks

All fact checkers are correct. It's more dangerous than the Flu as a virus, with a higher death rate. That's it. Very simple. I'm not even sure why you are spinning this.

He has lied a lot in regards to this thing. He just called it a hoax hours ago (partially). This is not the hill you want to die on.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/28/coronavirus-truth-myths-flu-covid-19-face-masks

All fact checkers are correct. It's more dangerous than the Flu as a virus, with a higher death rate. That's it. Very simple. I'm not even sure why you are spinning this.

He has lied a lot in regards to this thing. He just called it a hoax hours ago (partially). This is not the hill you want to die on.

Again look at the WHO link i posted.

No, it´s not worse than flu compared to deaths.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

Again look at the WHO link i posted.

No, it´s not worse than flu compared to deaths.

My link is quoting WHO as well....it has a higher fatality rate

Time to google red-herring, Jacky.

Also, why are you ignoring all those other lies Trump said about this and only attempting to (and not very well) defend this one? Why the hell is a POTUS lying about something so serious anyway? What the ****?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/28/trump-south-carolina-rally-coronavirus-118269

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:

Also, why are you ignoring all those other lies Trump said about this and only attempting to (and not very well) defend this one? Why the hell is a POTUS lying about something so serious anyway? What the ****?

No, what you are linking to is an opinion post based on random facts they pull out of their rear.

Again you fish instead of looking at the actual stats and hear what the medical professionals have said.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

No, what you are linking to is an opinion post based on random facts they pull out of their rear.

Again you fish instead of looking at the actual stats and hear what the medical professionals have said.

1. My links literally quotes WHO and CDC.

Either we live on alternate universes or you're using a red-herring. Which is more likely?

2. You agree Trump lied about all the other stuff?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#159 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

No, it doesn't.

So everyone who gets the regular flu is registered somewhere? Absolute everyone? And the 26 million number (I think) mentioned earlier here is not an estimated number?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

No, it doesn't.

Why do trumpers always run to TDS when they cannot defend their stance?

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#161 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3867 Posts

@zaryia said:

WHAT THE HELL:

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — President Donald Trump on Friday night tried to cast the global outbreak of the coronavirus as a liberal conspiracy intended to undermine his first term, lumping it alongside impeachment and the Mueller investigation.

When compared to how Obama handled the Ebola crisis Trump is the gold standard. Because it is Trump, every thing he does is wrong. The Democrats and the media are using this to damage Trump. I listen the media and the are intentionally scaring the population. Trump is not claiming this is a hoax, but he is not encouraging people to jump off bridges. He was taking steps to protect The United States while the Democrats were trying to impeach him. What have the Democrats done to protect the country during this coronavirus event? Criticize the President, and not another damn thing. As I posted before, for them, everything is political and the public be damned. When are you going to wake up to that fact.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@Jacanuk: @n64dd: @eoten: You are really doing some silly talk here. There are many strands of flu, basically categorised into A, B, C & D and within each category, there are also subcategories.

So comparing the flu to COVID-19 is nonsense. COVID-19 one strand of the several known Coronaviruses.

Also, practically all hospitals around the world are built for regular day-to-day operation. The supply of doctors, nurses and availability of medication is a reflection of regular demand for them. How many hospitals have you seen that are overstaffed? How many hospitals are understaffed?

So when you add the COVID-19 on top of regular operations, what happens is that the hospital can easily become overwhelmed.

Since the incubation period for COVID-19 is anything between 48 hours to several weeks, a person could literally infect thousands of people in any area. Given the high mobility of people in most countries and the fact that COVID-19 is highly contagious then it is very worrying.

Symptoms of COVID-19 also varies, from flu-like symptoms to breathing difficulties and outright organ failure. In China, the scientists have said, it has a larger impact on those who have high blood pressure or heart disease or diabetes, these three are commonly associated with the elderly, but not exclusively.

Given the poor diet of many people around the world, many young and middle-aged people have high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes. I am sure many of the people who regularly visit Gamespot.com have these issues.

Additionally, the treatment of COVID-19 so far has been linked to medication for Ebola and also HIV. Can the manufacturers seriously cope with demand as COVID-19 spreads wider? I doubt they can.

If you put all that together then it paints a potentially worrying picture. Long incubation periods, a high degree of transmission, a shortage of hospital beds, patients being turned away and infecting more people, a lack of medicine and medical equipment.

But of course, if you think its nothing to worry about then lick your fingers, go home and kiss your loved ones good night.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#163  Edited By deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

It would be great if there were actual conservatives on this site, instead, of alts, fake boys, gimmick posters, and contrarians

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

1. My links literally quotes WHO and CDC.

Either we live on alternate universes or you're using a red-herring. Which is more likely?

2. You agree Trump lied about all the other stuff?

1. And they might use the numbers, but how they interpret them is their own IE "Washout-posts"

2. I agree that the initial link and story was misconstrued by the post and that the post deliberately went for the Anti trump angle.

As to all the other links, did not read them since, I don´t care about opinions, i care about facts and anyone can see that Covid19 is highly infectious.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@Jacanuk: you changed the goalposts a third time. Great job

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Jacanuk
@kadin_kai said:

@Jacanuk: @n64dd: @eoten: You are really doing some silly talk here. There are many strands of flu, basically categorised into A, B, C & D and within each category, there are also subcategories.

So comparing the flu to COVID-19 is nonsense. COVID-19 one strand of the several known Coronaviruses.

Also, practically all hospitals around the world are built for regular day-to-day operation. The supply of doctors, nurses and availability of medication is a reflection of regular demand for them. How many hospitals have you seen that are overstaffed? How many hospitals are understaffed?

So when you add the COVID-19 on top of regular operations, what happens is that the hospital can easily become overwhelmed.

Since the incubation period for COVID-19 is anything between 48 hours to several weeks, a person could literally infect thousands of people in any area. Given the high mobility of people in most countries and the fact that COVID-19 is highly contagious then it is very worrying.

Symptoms of COVID-19 also varies, from flu-like symptoms to breathing difficulties and outright organ failure. In China, the scientists have said, it has a larger impact on those who have high blood pressure or heart disease or diabetes, these three are commonly associated with the elderly, but not exclusively.

Given the poor diet of many people around the world, many young and middle-aged people have high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes. I am sure many of the people who regularly visit Gamespot.com have these issues.

Additionally, the treatment of COVID-19 so far has been linked to medication for Ebola and also HIV. Can the manufacturers seriously cope with demand as COVID-19 spreads wider? I doubt they can.

If you put all that together then it paints a potentially worrying picture. Long incubation periods, a high degree of transmission, a shortage of hospital beds, patients being turned away and infecting more people, a lack of medicine and medical equipment.

But of course, if you think its nothing to worry about then lick your fingers, go home and kiss your loved ones good night.

First, no one is comparing the actual flu to the actual CoVid-19 , there are so many strains of flu, so that would be pretty dumb.

As to the rest of your post, that is based on your opinion and also nit-picking facts and numbers to fit into the

But you like the rest seem to miss the point that out of the registered infected a small 1 digit % have died, and only a few outside of China. And that the actual infected number is only a fraction of the actual number.

So you go panic all you want and call this more deadly than ever and read the "breaking news" who is there just to clickbait.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:

As to all the other links, did not read them since, I don´t care about opinions

They aren't opinions. Your incapability of refuting the multiple fact checks (with citation) on Trump, Don Jr, and Mick prove this fact.

We've been through this when you lost with Russian Interferece. Snopes, Factcheck, Politifact, Wapo, TheGuardian > You.

Facts > Your opinions.

@Jacanuk said:

And they might use the numbers, but how they interpret them is their own IE "Washout-posts"

My links quote the CDC and WHO. You're using a red-herring away from fatality rate.

@Jacanuk said:So you go panic all you want and call this more deadly than ever and read the "breaking news" who is there just to clickbait.

No one said this is more deadly than ever.

You're using that straw-man to use it as a false victory later on. We're just saying Trump and Co. have lied or mis-lead about this particular event. They shouldn't. That's all. Very very simple. They are down playing it for political reasons, they shouldn't.

Also every news around the world have been covering this strongly, it's not click bait. It is breaking news. The markets reaction to it shows it is real breaking news. It's not world ending, but it is clearly serious.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Zaryia

@JimB said:

When are you going to wake up to that fact.

I have no clue what you just ranted about. Most of it seemed based off of fiction, like Trump's rally speech last night. We just want the right to stop lying so much on this issue:

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts

It's ok, guys. The White House is floating tax cuts as a way to combat the epidemic.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Jacanuk

@Nuck81 said:

It would be great if there were actual conservatives on this site, instead, of alts, fake boys, gimmick posters, and contrarians

@Jacanuk: you changed the goalposts a third time. Great job

Excuse me? actual conservatives? what is an actual conservative?

Not really, but I do admire your attempts to do one-liners.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Jacanuk
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

As to all the other links, did not read them since, I don´t care about opinions

They aren't opinions. Your incapability of refuting the multiple fact checks (with citation) on Trump, Don Jr, and Mick prove this fact.

We've been through this when you lost with Russian Interferece. Snopes, Factcheck, Politifact, Wapo, TheGuardian > You.

Facts > Your opinions.

@Jacanuk said:

And they might use the numbers, but how they interpret them is their own IE "Washout-posts"

My links quote the CDC and WHO. You're using a red-herring away from fatality rate.

@Jacanuk said:So you go panic all you want and call this more deadly than ever and read the "breaking news" who is there just to clickbait.

No one said this is more deadly than ever.

You're using that straw-man to use it as a false victory later on. We're just saying Trump and Co. have lied or mis-lead about this particular event. They shouldn't. That's all. Very very simple. They are down playing it for political reasons, they shouldn't.

Also every news around the world have been covering this strongly, it's not click bait. It is breaking news. The markets reaction to it shows it is real breaking news. It's not world ending, but it is clearly serious.

Not going to take the whole what is a fact and what is an opinion and stating numbers does not make an opinion a fact suddenly.

And yes low and behold media who live of views and clicks have been covering this which provides views and clicks. what a major surprise or something?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:

Not going to take the whole what is a fact and what is an opinion and stating numbers does not make an opinion a fact suddenly.

And yes low and behold media who live of views and clicks have been covering this which provides views and clicks. what a major surprise or something?

Every fact checker > Jacanuk.

I'm sorry but Trump, Jr, and Mick have lied quite a bit this week. This does not inspire confidence.

Anyway, here are some opinions if you want them:

As a doctor, I've watched Republicans make the US more vulnerable to coronavirus than it ever should have been — Trump and his ilk have dismantled vital research for ideological reasons and made it nearly impossible for us to develop new vaccines

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-usa-trump-ebola-cdc-us-healthcare-a9365646.html

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@Jacanuk: the media is covering a news story that affects the entire planet?

How dare them!!

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

Every fact checker > Jacanuk.

I'm sorry but Trump, Jr, and Mick have lied quite a bit this week. This does not inspire confidence.

Anyway, here are some opinions if you want them:

As a doctor, I've watched Republicans make the US more vulnerable to coronavirus than it ever should have been — Trump and his ilk have dismantled vital research for ideological reasons and made it nearly impossible for us to develop new vaccines

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-usa-trump-ebola-cdc-us-healthcare-a9365646.html

And i do not care one bit about Trump JR and Mick and what they say or don´t say.

And again let´s stick with actual facts WHO numbers, not what far-left media or what the low standard that is supposed to be journalism today makes.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:

And again let´s stick with actual facts WHO numbers, not what far-left media or what the low standard that is supposed to be journalism today makes.

They are quoting WHO and CDC.

I do care what the POTUS has to say. Leadership matters at this moment. I think he should stop lying about something serious.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Zaryia

oof,

Rush Limbaugh Thinks Coronavirus Is an Anti-Trump Conspiracy

Misinforming your audience on an infectious disease to own the libs.

https://www.gq.com/story/coronavirus-trump-conspiracy

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh joined in on Wednesday, saying, "The coronavirus is being weaponized to bring down Donald Trump," and that, "It's nothing more than the common cold." He added that the media was desperate for ammunition against the president: "They would love for the coronavirus to be this deadly strain that wipes everybody out, so they could blame Trump for it."

Why is the right wing so stupid sometimes.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

They are quoting WHO and CDC.

I do care what the POTUS has to say. Leadership matters at this moment. I think he should stop lying about something serious.

Ok, fine let´s stick with the WHO since i know we all trust them.

And as to Trump, he can say what he wants to his base, it´s a free country. dumb or not.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#178 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@zaryia said:
@JimB said:

When are you going to wake up to that fact.

I have no clue what you just ranted about. Most of it seemed based off of fiction, like Trump's rally speech last night. We just want the right to stop lying so much on this issue:

Try reading your source and backing it up with a few secondary ones as well. He wasn't saying that the virus itself was a hoax, he was talking about people trying to use it as a political tool like we're going to have a real-life version of the movie Contagion thanks to Trump.

The fact that the situation was made political isn't a lie right down to Trump being called a racist and xenophobic for stopping travel from infected areas.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11099 Posts

And the first coronavirus death was just confirmed in the US. Yeah, this isn't a hoax. This admin needs to stop with the political games. People are going to die.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@BenjaminBanklin: and with the number if confirmed cases and confirmed death, it has a higher mortality rate than the flu in the USA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@Jacanuk: why did you assume I was talking about you when I mentioned fake boys and alts? Guilty conscience?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Jacanuk

@Nuck81 said:

@Jacanuk: why did you assume I was talking about you when I mentioned fake boys and alts? Guilty conscience?

You asked for actual conservatives and besides the alts and trolls, we are a few normal posters who are what you could consider conservativ-minded, so I am curious what makes a real conservative since you asked for them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@Jacanuk: someone who can form their own opinion backed up by facts.

You just spout cliche talking points ignoring any sense of thought or rationality.

Like n64dd, you're a fake boy.

Someone who plays a contrarian because you lack the moral character to stand by your own thoughts and opinions.

Or you do it because you somehow find it funny. Which is also a character fault.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Democrats are having meltdowns over the one person that died who was over 50 and had serious health issues.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#185 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Yeah, most the people who actually die from corona virus are already of compromised health and immune systems from other problems. Which make up the bulk of flu victims as well.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts

@n64dd said:

Democrats are having meltdowns over the one person that died who was over 50 and had serious health issues.

No one is having a meltdown. But hey...…..let's wait for spring...……..that will surely kill it.....smh.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Zaryia
@n64dd said:

No one is having a meltdown. The Democrats, Media, and Scientists are just pointing out Trump and Co. when they lie. They should not lie about such a serious matter. They have to stop being tribals at some point.

@eoten said:

Yeah, most the people who actually die from corona virus are already of compromised health and immune systems from other problems. Which make up the bulk of flu victims as well.

We know. This doesn't mean we shouldn't take it seriously and lie about it. It's still a concern and a threat, according to WHO and CDC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@eoten: sure, but evidence suggests that Corona kills even more quickly than flu

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@zaryia: I would like for Trump to handle it better. You should admit democrats are weaponizing this to get political favor.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Zaryia

@n64dd said:

@zaryia: I would like for Trump to handle it better. You should admit democrats are weaponizing this to get political favor.

They are politically weaponizing it to a degree, because Trump is constantly saying wrong and at times insane stuff on a very serious matter. At what point does a simple and important fact check cross necessity and a political attack?

He should just stop giving them extremely easy ammo. That's just dumb.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@n64dd: He's far to delusional to do such a thing.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Zaryia

@vfighter said:

@n64dd: He's far to delusional to do such a thing.

Can you state what I said that was delusional?

You have said this after I literally quoted (word for word) peer reviewed studies and W.H.O documentation in the past...

Seems like a baseless ad-hom.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Jacanuk

@Nuck81 said:

@Jacanuk: someone who can form their own opinion backed up by facts.

You just spout cliche talking points ignoring any sense of thought or rationality.

Like n64dd, you're a fake boy.

Someone who plays a contrarian because you lack the moral character to stand by your own thoughts and opinions.

Or you do it because you somehow find it funny. Which is also a character fault.

Problem with the first sentence there is that you don´t really want that, you want people to agree with your made-up facts and your already established conclusion.

Even in this debate where we are debating actual verifiable data, from WHO, you are instantly on the opposite side.

As to the rest, well it´s the normal BS, buuuuuuhuuuuu i am right you are wrong, I am a democrat you are on the right..... You might as well go with "my ding is bigger than your dong and can beat up your nose"

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#194 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

What exactly is being done that is different than how we prepared for SARS? While it may be politically expedient to blame the president, in this case, he's not at fault for a global virus/possible pandemic. Other than massive quarantines and shutting down borders, there is no way to stop its spread. And even that is not exactly effective.

There is no "cure" for most viruses. Unlike bacteria, viruses can't be killed. One can vaccinate to prevent infection but once someone has an infection, there's not much to do other than support the body's immune system. Researchers are in the process of developing a vaccine but that takes quite some time to develop and to ensure its safe for human use. Antivirals are very hard to develop and we only have a handful that work to slow or inhibit virus replication. All the money and resources in the world won't change human biology.

The CDC is fairly good at what they do. They've issued statements to the public and guidelines. To my knowledge, they have not requested additional funding or resources. In fact, they've told people to stop buying masks as they are ineffective in stopping the spread of the virus. Washing your hands is still the most effective way to stop its spread.

One of the worst things that pandemic can do is start a global hysteria. Nancy Pelosi seems to be doing everything she can to fan the fires of that and I think she is being incredibly irresponsible. She should shut her mouth and let the CDC directors and staff do the talking. They're doctors and that's what they train for and what they do. Keep politics out of this crap.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Jacanuk

@sonicare said:

What exactly is being done that is different than how we prepared for SARS? While it may be politically expedient to blame the president, in this case, he's not at fault for a global virus/possible pandemic. Other than massive quarantines and shutting down borders, there is no way to stop its spread. And even that is not exactly effective.

There is no "cure" for most viruses. Unlike bacteria, viruses can't be killed. One can vaccinate to prevent infection but once someone has an infection, there's not much to do other than support the body's immune system. Researchers are in the process of developing a vaccine but that takes quite some time to develop and to ensure its safe for human use. Antivirals are very hard to develop and we only have a handful that work to slow or inhibit virus replication. All the money and resources in the world won't change human biology.

The CDC is fairly good at what they do. They've issued statements to the public and guidelines. To my knowledge, they have not requested additional funding or resources. In fact, they've told people to stop buying masks as they are ineffective in stopping the spread of the virus. Washing your hands is still the most effective way to stop its spread.

One of the worst things that pandemic can do is start a global hysteria. Nancy Pelosi seems to be doing everything she can to fan the fires of that and I think she is being incredibly irresponsible. She should shut her mouth and let the CDC directors and staff do the talking. They're doctors and that's what they train for and what they do. Keep politics out of this crap.

One of the more sensible things that have been said so far.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@Jacanuk: ok fakeboy

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Jacanuk

@Nuck81 said:

@Jacanuk: ok fakeboy

Awwwww, not enough oil in the rig today?

/m.s.u.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@Jacanuk: lol.

You're not even smart enough to know what an ndt company does

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@Jacanuk: My opinions? Is it really my opinion that most hospitals around the world are understaffed? Too many doctors and nurses? Ebola and HIV/AIDS drugs are oversupplied? The two types of drugs which are being used to help those infected?

Nit-picking what? Please explain yourself?

It is not just 1% have died, the fatality rate varies. Many factors come into play.

In Wuhan China, at the time of writing, there are 49,122 infected and 2,195 dead. That means the mortality rate is 4.46%. But if you take all data from China, there are 79,968 infected and 2,873 dead, that gives the mortality rate at 3.59%.

There are 95 infected in the city of Hong Kong, so far only 2 deaths, that is a 2.10% mortality rate.

As said, your 1% figure is absolutely fake. The mortality rate will vary, so many factors come into play such as age, underlying illnesses (high blood pressure, heart disease & diabetes), availability and quality of healthcare, availability of medicine and technical equipment (those with pneumonia need a machine to help them breathe).

So in total 2,873 dead, that is clickbait. 2,996 people died in the US on 9 September 2001, is that clickbait too?

It's just a virus, I urge you not to waste any money buying face masks or hand sanitizer if the virus hits your area, it's just a virus, you'll be fine.

@Jacanuk said:
@kadin_kai said:

First, no one is comparing the actual flu to the actual CoVid-19 , there are so many strains of flu, so that would be pretty dumb.

As to the rest of your post, that is based on your opinion and also nit-picking facts and numbers to fit into the

But you like the rest seem to miss the point that out of the registered infected a small 1 digit % have died, and only a few outside of China. And that the actual infected number is only a fraction of the actual number.

So you go panic all you want and call this more deadly than ever and read the "breaking news" who is there just to clickbait.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

OK. I've been watching and reading for 200+ hours of Corona virus information so far. From sciencemag to online dr.'s to some national and international official info.

The case fatality rate (people dying while infected) seems to be around 2% (or a little higher). 0.5%-1% maybe if there is very good medical care. The CFR is very dependant on the quality of medical care provided. There are countries with a much higher CFR. (Iran.) This is likely due to shoddy medical care. (Like the (improper) application of steroids to lower fever.) A CFR of about 2% would be in the ballpark of what people come to expect from the flu.

The major difference is that this is a new virus. People have build no resistance yet against this virus. The flu might infect 5%, 10% of a nation every once in a while. This virus MAY infect a much higher percentage in one sweep. The Hong Kong chairman of public health mentioned something like a 60-80%. That is a very high number, likely based on some erroneous information (read along).

IF it infects a much higher percentage of the population than the flu, it could very easily overwhelm the medical care. And that is the biggest threat that this virus currently presents. If the medical care gets overwhelmed, the CFR could go up. By how much we don't know exactly. If the CFR goes higher than the flu, combined with a higher number of infected, that means there is a possibility of a much (MUCH) higher death count.

However, that is not all said and done. The virus appears to NOT be asymptomatic (not or barely spread before/after the period of symptoms), contrary to earlier information we had. IF the virus is really not asymptomatic, then containing the virus or slowing it down becomes much more feasible. And if we can slow it down enough, maybe the virus won't be much more of a hindrance than the flu. (Which is still not great of course, but it's the much better outcome.)

So right now we are at an absolutely critical stage, where the virus may be contained/slowed down insomuch that its impact won't be so severe. Or it could spread quickly and become a much bigger problem. So it IS important to take the virus seriously. To take hygiene and quarantines seriously. To take negative travel advise seriously. Think of it as a social exercise. If we don't take it seriously it could cause many (many) more deaths, but probably not your own. If we take it seriously then maybe we'll think in a year that it was barely newsworthy and that we overreacted because it never turned into something bigger. In this case a slight overreaction is better than ignorance.

If you live in a country with decent medical care, and you sleep well and eat healthily you do not need to worry much about your personal well being. The chance of you developing no symptoms when infected is likely even higher than the chance that you would die from it. So don't worry too much on a personal level. Of course there is never a guarantee that everybody we love won't die from the virus. The main concern with this virus may be more on an economic/logistics level and on a larger scale.