PSP Recommendation Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

stickmen1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#801 stickmen1
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Try downloading Samurai Shodown Anthology from the PSN store it's only 20 bucks and u get 6 awesome games.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#802 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I'm looking to get a psp game soon, and I've been out of the psp loop for a while, so idk what's really out there. I'm thinking of an action rpg since I've been a fan of the Monster Hunter games on the psp. I'm not looking to spend over $20, and even then I'd like it to be less since I'm probably going to pick up the gradius collection as well. Any suggestions?

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#804 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
[QUOTE="DJChuy"]

[QUOTE="forgot_it"]Hey guys, I was wondering if the PSP has any Zelda-esque titles. At the moment I own Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Jeanne d'Arc.forgot_it

You should check out Ys Seven and Oath in Felghana.

Thanks for the recommend. Went out and bought Ys Seven and loving it :).

After Ys Seven if you're looking for more, Alundra(PS1 game on PSN) and Gurmin: A Monstorous Adventure are fun Zelda-esque games.
XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#805 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

I'm looking for a good RPG game for the PSP. I heard Persona 3 Portable is really good. However, I've never played any of the Persona games before. Would P3P be a good introduction to the series?

Ninenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#806 Ninenzo
Hey Gamespot, I've just purchased myself a PSP after my previous one broke. I'm currently building a small games collection, and I came across Papaton demo. I loved it! I'm thinking about purchasing it, but with three games out, I'm just wondering where I should start. With the first, or skip it? Suggestions please, Thanks in advance!
WockaFlocka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#807 WockaFlocka
Member since 2010 • 173 Posts

I'm looking for a good RPG game for the PSP. I heard Persona 3 Portable is really good. However, I've never played any of the Persona games before. Would P3P be a good introduction to the series?

XeroEX
YES. Its my first one in the series and it is easily my favorite gme ever. its a more mature, complex version of pokemon, if you will. but you should check it ouat if you like turn based rpgs :)
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#808 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts

YES. Its my first one in the series and it is easily my favorite gme ever. its a more mature, complex version of pokemon, if you will. but you should check it ouat if you like turn based rpgs :)WockaFlocka
Yes, Persona 3 is an excellent game, but no, it bears no resemblance to Pokémon, other than the fact that the battle system is turn-based. It's a lot closer to Final Fantasy, and even then, it is still very different. There's an even bigger focus on elemental attacks, and summons are a huge part of the battle system.

XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#809 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

[QUOTE="XeroEX"]

WockaFlocka

YES. Its my first one in the series and it is easily my favorite gme ever. its a more mature, complex version of pokemon, if you will. but you should check it ouat if you like turn based rpgs :)

Thanks. Just bought the game today. And thanks Granpire for clarifying that.

deleterguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#810 deleterguy
Member since 2005 • 1827 Posts
What are the good RPG games(wich are long) which are available on the PSN store because I have a psp go.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#811 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
What are the good RPG games(wich are long) which are available on the PSN store because I have a psp go.deleterguy
PS1 RPGs: Arc the Lad series, Final Fantasy series, Front Mission, Grandia, Suikoden, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Wild Arms PSP RPGs: Brave Story: New Traveler, Disgaea series, Persona 3 Portable, The Legend of Heroes, Valkyria Chronicles 2. Ys series,
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#812 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
[QUOTE="deleterguy"]What are the good RPG games(wich are long) which are available on the PSN store because I have a psp go.Eikichi-Onizuka
PS1 RPGs: Arc the Lad series, Final Fantasy series, Front Mission, Grandia, Suikoden, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Wild Arms PSP RPGs: Brave Story: New Traveler, Disgaea series, Persona 3 Portable, The Legend of Heroes, Valkyria Chronicles 2. Ys series,

This man knows.
Glock-XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#813 Glock-XIII
What are some good online multiplayer games? some that are still relevant
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#814 Granpire
What are some good online multiplayer games? some that are still relevantGlock-XIII
The ones that are populated are full of hackers, and most everything else is empty. I still see a few people on Wipeout Pulse from time to time, but that's uncommon. At least there aren't any hackers... Resistance: Retribution doesn't usually have an obscene amount of hackers, but I've heard differing opinions. My experience wasn't that bad. Medal of Honor is a good game, but the hackers are terrible on it, as with most shooters. I personally don't know of any games that are the right balance of population and fair players. Maybe Fat Princess? I enjoyed that game.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#815 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
[QUOTE="Glock-XIII"]What are some good online multiplayer games? some that are still relevantGranpire
The ones that are populated are full of hackers, and most everything else is empty. I still see a few people on Wipeout Pulse from time to time, but that's uncommon. At least there aren't any hackers... Resistance: Retribution doesn't usually have an obscene amount of hackers, but I've heard differing opinions. My experience wasn't that bad. Medal of Honor is a good game, but the hackers are terrible on it, as with most shooters. I personally don't know of any games that are the right balance of population and fair players. Maybe Fat Princess? I enjoyed that game.

By online you mean you can actually connect to the internet to play it :o or ad hoc??
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#816 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
I need some help my cousin is thinking of buying GTA Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, and Chinatown Wars He wants to get 2 out of 3. Which one would you guys recommend to him? I told him Liberty City and Chinatown Wars. What do you guys think and why? :D Thanks
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#817 Granpire
[QUOTE="Granpire"][QUOTE="Glock-XIII"]What are some good online multiplayer games? some that are still relevantDarthkaiser

By online you mean you can actually connect to the internet to play it :o or ad hoc??

All of the games I mentioned support both types of multiplayer, both infrastructure(internet) and Ad-Hoc. There are plenty more Ad-Hoc games out there, and prominence isn't really the issue there. It's just finding a good game that you can play with some friends that also have it.
thehunter1900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#818 thehunter1900
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts

How are the GTA games online? there are still people that play it?

thehunter1900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#819 thehunter1900
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts

I need some help my cousin is thinking of buying GTA Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, and Chinatown Wars He wants to get 2 out of 3. Which one would you guys recommend to him? I told him Liberty City and Chinatown Wars. What do you guys think and why? :D Thanksrwallacefan

i would go for liberty city and vice city for sure. chinatown wars just isnt my game i rather have the 2 3D gta's.

Glock-XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#820 Glock-XIII

How are the GTA games online? there are still people that play it?

thehunter1900
They don't have any online multiplayer only local :\
Glock-XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#821 Glock-XIII
Thanks Granpire. Can anyone give me a list of of Infrastructure games that are active(hackers or not) I'd appreciate it.
z827

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#822 z827
Member since 2008 • 4731 Posts

Hmm.... are there any Mecha game players in here?

I don't really care if it's in Japanese ( Well , most Mecha games aren't localized anyway ) but as long it's good , it's in my radar.

So far I've only tried the Gundam Assault Survive ( Based on the Battle Universe series - it's pretty good if you want a load of Mobile Suits ) , Gundam Memories , Macross Triangle Frontier and Another Century's Episode Portable.

And... my recommendations for PSP games.... Ehh.. Let's see...

RPGs / Tactics / Action RPGs :

Disgaea Ports

Final Fantasy Remakes ( and exclusives )

Tactics Ogre : Let Us Cling Together

Phantasy Star Portable ( The sequel have plenty of bonuses like some Anime character's clothings )

Mana Khemia Remakes ( Great game with alternate endings )

Tales series

Hexyz Force ( Can't say that it's the best RPG but it's pretty neat )

Brave Story

Lunar : Silver Star

Ys Series

Star Ocean Remakes

Persona 3 Portable

Valkyria Chronicles 2 ( 3 if you understand Japanese... or is willing to wait for the localization... if it's coming at all )

SD Gundam G Generation World ( Language barrier is bound to be there but you'd get used to it )

Fate/Extra ( You might want to wait for Aksys' English Translation )

Fighter Games :

Fate/Unlimited Codes ( Quick-paced combo oriented fighter )

Gundam VS Gundam : Next Plus ( Gundam with heavier fighting elements )

BlazBlue ( If you don't have the PS3 version anyway )

Action / Shooter Games :

Monster Hunter series

The 3rd Birthday ( Miserably short campaign and weak plotline but it's kinda addictive - I've played the JP version so I can't comment on the ENG ver. )

Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker ( Somewhat awkward controls but you'd get over it )

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops ( Peace Walker is recommended but you might want to get this as well )

Dissidia Duodecim ( Don't get Duodecim if you already have the original Dissidia - it's not worth it )

Misc / Arcade Games :

Hatsune Miku : Project Diva ( Expensive import but it's worth it )

Prinny : Can I Really Be the Hero?

Mecha Games :

Gundam Assault Survive

Gundam Memories ( Not perfect but it's a decent import for newer Gundam fans )

Macross Triangle Frontier ( Language barrier at it's finest - but still , grub it if your a Macross fan )

Another Century's Episode Portable ( If you have the console version of ACE , don't bother buying Portable )

That's all from me... for now. Been a long time since I've touched the PSP to be honest.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#823 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

Those looking for a simple free roaming racing game would love this game:

Test Drive Unlimited (hard to believe this game was released for PSP, and it is currently one of the rarest games to find for the PSP, it's basically a watered down version of it's console counterparts.

Only problems: No Motorcycles, Ferrari's, Lamborghinis, Shopping for clothes to design your character

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#824 Granpire
I was originally interested in Test Drive: Unlimited for the online multiplayer, which sounded like the closest thing to an MMO the PSP ever had. I was disappointed to hear that it was taken down very shortly after the game's release. Everything else is pretty nice, though. If you get past the sluggish framerate, the island is nice, the music is upbeat and original, and the sense of freedom and scale is quite vast. For pure racing thrill, though, I'll stick to Wipeout or Gran Turismo. It was missing a bit of realism, and the roads were a little slippery for my taste.
DumperPumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#826 DumperPumper
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
MotorStorm: Arctic Edge is awesome. I've been playing through it and if you like MotorStorm I think you'll get a kick out of this. Online is dead, however.
savageorgiev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#827 savageorgiev
those are some great games indeed
ebaker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#828 ebaker6
Member since 2002 • 28 Posts

I'm looking for an rpg with enough story and pretty women to keep it interesting, but with mechanics that are simple enough that my poor aged reflexes can do them. For example, everywhere rates GTA Chinatown really high, but I hit the timed car stealing quests and I was done. Couldn't do the minigames and all the driving in the time allotted. Had a similar problem with Persona 4. I could win the tactical combats, but to earn the rewards you to do this button mashing minigame that I couldn't pass.

Anyway, just looking for pointers and opinions. Thanks in advance for either or both, Eric

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#829 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
Anyone play Corpse Party? Wondering what you guys think of the game
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#830 Granpire

I'm looking for an rpg with enough story and pretty women to keep it interesting, but with mechanics that are simple enough that my poor aged reflexes can do them. For example, everywhere rates GTA Chinatown really high, but I hit the timed car stealing quests and I was done. Couldn't do the minigames and all the driving in the time allotted. Had a similar problem with Persona 4. I could win the tactical combats, but to earn the rewards you to do this button mashing minigame that I couldn't pass.

Anyway, just looking for pointers and opinions. Thanks in advance for either or both, Eric

ebaker6

Maybe a bit of a no brainer here, but have you tried Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII? Maybe a few more pretty boys than pretty girls, but there's no doubt that the story is one of the greatest in the series. The mechanics are simple. Action-RPG, but there's a sort of turn-based cadence to it that makes the battles feel more strategic than reflexive. Who am I kidding, though. You like RPGs and PSP, there's no way you haven't played this masterpiece...

ebaker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#831 ebaker6
Member since 2002 • 28 Posts

Maybe a bit of a no brainer here, but have you tried Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII? Maybe a few more pretty boys than pretty girls, but there's no doubt that the story is one of the greatest in the series. The mechanics are simple. Action-RPG, but there's a sort of turn-based cadence to it that makes the battles feel more strategic than reflexive. Who am I kidding, though. You like RPGs and PSP, there's no way you haven't played this masterpiece...

Granpire

I inherited my psp from son, so I'm very new to it. I will give Crisis Core a try. Thank you for the pointer.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#832 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
Which game do you think will last me longer, Virtua Tennis 4 or Unit 13?.
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#833 Granpire
I've got 5$ left, and I'm looking for something to play on my Vita. What's the best possible PSP Game or Mini for 5$? I know Splinter Cell: Essentials is on sale until Tuesday, and I've been looking at Vertigo, but reviews of both games are somewhat polarized. I'm a little concerned about whether Splinter Cell's camera controls are actually better on the Vita. It is possible to map them to the second stick, I know, but I've read that controlling the camera makes you unable to perform any actions without exiting camera mode. Can anyone elaborate on this? Besides that, I'm interested in Minis, but there's too many of them that seem short and simple. Which ones have a lot of replay value? I have Cubixx and Boom Beats, and both sort of felt stale after a few hours.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#834 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
[QUOTE="Granpire"]I've got 5$ left, and I'm looking for something to play on my Vita. What's the best possible PSP Game or Mini for 5$? I know Splinter Cell: Essentials is on sale until Tuesday, and I've been looking at Vertigo, but reviews of both games are somewhat polarized. I'm a little concerned about whether Splinter Cell's camera controls are actually better on the Vita. It is possible to map them to the second stick, I know, but I've read that controlling the camera makes you unable to perform any actions without exiting camera mode. Can anyone elaborate on this? Besides that, I'm interested in Minis, but there's too many of them that seem short and simple. Which ones have a lot of replay value? I have Cubixx and Boom Beats, and both sort of felt stale after a few hours.

Yes, you need to press the O button to go into the camera mode so even if you do map it to the analog stick, it doesn't change anything. Essentials was a terrible, terrible game.
brian6330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#835 brian6330
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts

What are some great MUST-GET RPG's?

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#836 Spinnerweb

What are some great MUST-GET RPG's?

brian6330
Valkyria Chronicles 2 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Ys Seven The above are must-get. The below are just-good ones. Star Ocean: First Departure Star Ocean: Second Evolutions Phantasy Star Portable Phantasy Star Portable 2
aqkamboh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#837 aqkamboh
Its really a good man........
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#838 Granpire
[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"][QUOTE="Granpire"]I've got 5$ left, and I'm looking for something to play on my Vita. What's the best possible PSP Game or Mini for 5$? I know Splinter Cell: Essentials is on sale until Tuesday, and I've been looking at Vertigo, but reviews of both games are somewhat polarized. I'm a little concerned about whether Splinter Cell's camera controls are actually better on the Vita. It is possible to map them to the second stick, I know, but I've read that controlling the camera makes you unable to perform any actions without exiting camera mode. Can anyone elaborate on this? Besides that, I'm interested in Minis, but there's too many of them that seem short and simple. Which ones have a lot of replay value? I have Cubixx and Boom Beats, and both sort of felt stale after a few hours.

Yes, you need to press the O button to go into the camera mode so even if you do map it to the analog stick, it doesn't change anything. Essentials was a terrible, terrible game.

Aye. I regret my decision...
carmelgene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#839 carmelgene
Member since 2012 • 68 Posts
Can't wait to download this games!
JessMarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#840 JessMarz
Member since 2011 • 118 Posts

I am just going to post my thoughts about the PSP game library.

With the launch of the PS Vita, most of the games are going to be knocked down in price and it will be a good time to look through bargain bins. So far this is what I have and most of them were bought under $10.

The 3rd Birthday $

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles $

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII $

Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy $

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

Loco Roco 2 $

Megaman: Maverick Hunter X $

Megaman: Powered Up

Patapon 2 $

Yu-gi-oh 5D's Tagforce 5 $

("$"= under $10.00)

None I bought over $20.00.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#841 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
Today i have buy Motorstorm Arctic Edge for the PSP only 10euro.Very good game for the PSP.
Uchiha_Sasuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#842 Uchiha_Sasuke1
Member since 2002 • 1636 Posts
I bought metal gear acid for $15, it was good game.
n00bie1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#843 n00bie1001
I have been 'umming and aring' about whether to get one of these things for a while now! I am pretty new to gaming, but I thought this looked fun. I have previously had a DS and thought that this could be good as it would be as portable. I was just wondering, from those who have actually used one, is it user friendly? Meaning would I be able to use it as a new gamer... :P Also, I've read some less than positive reviews on it (http://iused2beagamer.blogspot.co.uk/) and I was wondering if there was any truth in them!! Thank you, N00bie x
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#844 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
[QUOTE="n00bie1001"]I have been 'umming and aring' about whether to get one of these things for a while now! I am pretty new to gaming, but I thought this looked fun. I have previously had a DS and thought that this could be good as it would be as portable. I was just wondering, from those who have actually used one, is it user friendly? Meaning would I be able to use it as a new gamer... :P Also, I've read some less than positive reviews on it (http://iused2beagamer.blogspot.co.uk/) and I was wondering if there was any truth in them!! Thank you, N00bie x

PSP is a very friendly system and very easy to use.The garphics are very good almost like the PS2 games,many good games and it play movies,music and photos.I have DSi and PSP and i like more the PSP.If you want one buy the PSP 3000,is the best version of the PSP,better collors,better screen and faster load times.
n00bie1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#845 n00bie1001
Thank you very much :)
A3780

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#846 A3780
i think GTA is the best car game and shooting game i don't know with others but thats what i think and i would love buy GTA V if that comes out i wish it does finger cross
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#848 Spinnerweb

Oh, we can recommend games of our own? OK, here goes...

(Some games might be listed in two genres because, well, they fit into both genres)

Role-Playing Games

• Valkyria Chronicles 2
  • Senjou no Valkyria 3: Unrecorded Chronicles (***)
  • Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
  • Unchained Blades
  • Persona 3 Portable
  • Persona 2: Innocent Sin
  • Class of Heroes
  • Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
  • Gungnir

Action Adventure

• Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
  • Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
  • Resistance: Retribution
  • The 3rd Birthday
  • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Stealth Action

• Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
  • Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
  • Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
  • Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Strategy

• Valkyria Chronicles 2
  • Senjoy no Valkyria 3: Unrecorded Chronicles (***)
  • Metal Gear Acid
  • Metal Gear Acid 2

Platformer

• LittleBigPlanet
  • LocoRoco
  • LocoRoco 2
  • Daxter
  • Tokobot
  • Crush

Fighting

• Tekken: Dark Resurrection
  • Tekken 6
  • BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Portable
  • BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 2
  • Guilty Gear Judgement
  • Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +
  • Dissidia 012 Duicodem Final Fantasy
  • Dissidia Final Fantasy

Racing

• Ridge Racer 2
  • Ridge Racer
  • ModNation Racers

Compilation

• Sega Mega Drive Collection
  • Metal Slug Anthology
  • Gradius Collection

Rhythm

• Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (***)
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 2nd (***)
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Extend (***)
  • The Idolmaster Perfect Sun (***)

Puzzle

• Crush

PSP Minis

• Age of Zombies
  • N.O.V.A.
  • Vempire

That's all of them, I guess...

Edit: Added a few more games :D

Avatar image for Vegetable_Ninja
Vegetable_Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#849 Vegetable_Ninja
Im playing Persona 3: Portable for the first time and Im just totally blown away by the game. Usually Im not a big RPG player but I just cant stop playing this freaking game ;)
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#850 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

God Eater 2 is revealed in Famitsu.