PSP Recommendation Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 0

#751 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

Its been about 4 years sense I have used this forum (PSP in general) due to my first PSP getting stolen :_:, anyway I'm back in the PSP world sort of haha.

Anyway I'm looking to feed my need for an RPG, considering I have an X-box 360 I have hardly seen any RPGs on it that really jump out to me mostly because I don't like the new setting in RPGs where you only really control the actions of one player and the rest of the party is AI driven or driven by preset actions you set up. I'm looking for turn based team fights (like FF7,FF8 ) that aren't really played out in real time. I have browsed a few of the RPGs on the PSP but really I never like listening to reviews I'd rather here from gamers. I have crisis core and I'm not enjoying it that much lol really burned out on FF7, I just like the early FF battle system.

Any suggestions ?

Oniresurrect

Its been about 4 years sense I have used this forum (PSP in general) due to my first PSP getting stolen :_:, anyway I'm back in the PSP world sort of haha.

Anyway I'm looking to feed my need for an RPG, considering I have an X-box 360 I have hardly seen any RPGs on it that really jump out to me mostly because I don't like the new setting in RPGs where you only really control the actions of one player and the rest of the party is AI driven or driven by preset actions you set up. I'm looking for turn based team fights (like FF7,FF8 ) that aren't really played out in real time. I have browsed a few of the RPGs on the PSP but really I never like listening to reviews I'd rather here from gamers. I have crisis core and I'm not enjoying it that much lol really burned out on FF7, I just like the early FF battle system.

Any suggestions ?

Oniresurrect

Psone CIassics FFs? Also, FF Tactics, Dungeons & Dragons Tactics, Jeanne D'arc, Legend Of Heroes I suppose..

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#752 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
[QUOTE="Oniresurrect"]...I don't like the new setting in RPGs where you only really control the actions of one player and the rest of the party is AI driven or driven by preset actions you set up. I'm looking for turn based team fights (like FF7,FF8 ) that aren't really played out in real time.

Sounds like Persona 3 Portable is perfect. It's turn-based, and you can take control of each character(something exclusive to the PSP version of P3).
Oniresurrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#753 Oniresurrect
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts

[QUOTE="Oniresurrect"]...I don't like the new setting in RPGs where you only really control the actions of one player and the rest of the party is AI driven or driven by preset actions you set up. I'm looking for turn based team fights (like FF7,FF8 ) that aren't really played out in real time. Granpire
Sounds like Persona 3 Portable is perfect. It's turn-based, and you can take control of each character(something exclusive to the PSP version of P3).

Ill check it out, thanks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#754 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Best Monster Hunter game on PSP?

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#755 rubedisky
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts

[QUOTE="Granpire"][QUOTE="Oniresurrect"]...I don't like the new setting in RPGs where you only really control the actions of one player and the rest of the party is AI driven or driven by preset actions you set up. I'm looking for turn based team fights (like FF7,FF8 ) that aren't really played out in real time. Oniresurrect

Ill check it out, thanks.

valkyria chronicles?
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#756 Granpire
[QUOTE="rubedisky"] valkyria chronicles?

Valkeryia Chronicles is good, but I wouldn't go for it if you're looking for traditional turn-based(Final Fantasy-style) combat. It's more of a turn-based strategy with real-time elements. I didn't like the awful voice acting or the rather lackluster animation. It shines in gameplay, but fails where presentation is concerned in my opinion. Not to bash your opinion Rubedisky, just stating mine. :) Valkyria Chronicles is very popular in general. On the other hand, Persona 3 is great in almost every way, the only negative point that I have is that the dungeons themselves are very repetitive, as are the enemies, which would kill the game were the combat not so fun.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#757 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
So I got a new PSP because I wanted to play some PS1 games on it, and I've set it up for a US account (even though im in europe, sort of dodgy but I'm sorry the UK PS Store is absolutely terrible for PS1 games) and got a US points card. I know of a few games I want for sure (MGS, Resi 2, Legacy of Kain), but anyone got any recommendations for stuff? Also, which Spyro and which Crash games are the best?
rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#758 rubedisky
[QUOTE="Granpire"][QUOTE="rubedisky"] valkyria chronicles?

Valkeryia Chronicles is good, but I wouldn't go for it if you're looking for traditional turn-based(Final Fantasy-style) combat. It's more of a turn-based strategy with real-time elements. I didn't like the awful voice acting or the rather lackluster animation. It shines in gameplay, but fails where presentation is concerned in my opinion. Not to bash your opinion Rubedisky, just stating mine. :) Valkyria Chronicles is very popular in general. On the other hand, Persona 3 is great in almost every way, the only negative point that I have is that the dungeons themselves are very repetitive, as are the enemies, which would kill the game were the combat not so fun.

valkyria chronicles 2 has a bad story line with an awful main character. I am sure valkryria chroncles 3 will be much better in everything. It'll be more like valkyria chronicles 1 :).
dudy80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#759 dudy80
Member since 2004 • 1787 Posts

Late to the party but wanted something new to mess with so i picked up a psp 3000 today, what are the must have games? Im a person that will play just about anything, but im leaning more towards a few longer rpgs and such.Thanks guys!

ZioNKuSh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#760 ZioNKuSh
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

u guys forgot syphon filter dark mirror

Stressthesky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#761 Stressthesky
Member since 2009 • 490 Posts

Late to the party but wanted something new to mess with so i picked up a psp 3000 today, what are the must have games? Im a person that will play just about anything, but im leaning more towards a few longer rpgs and such.Thanks guys!

dudy80

I'm also late to the party, picked up a psp this weekend along with: Crisis Core, Killzone, God of War (both), Metal Gear Solid (both) and Phantasy Star. So, I'll take the same recommendations as this guy.

Stressthesky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#762 Stressthesky
Member since 2009 • 490 Posts

Well, I guess this thread is more or less dead then.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#763 Granpire
[QUOTE="Stressthesky"]

Well, I guess this thread is more or less dead then.

You pretty much listed 4 must-haves in your own post, so there's that. (Crisis Core, MGS:PW, both God of Wars) You could add Persona 3 to that list, perhaps Monster Hunter if you're into it, Midnight Club LA Remix will give you plenty of hours of enjoyment. Wipeout Pulse as well, plenty more. I'm not the most informed when it comes to RPGs, sorry.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#764 Daavpuke

[QUOTE="dudy80"]

Stressthesky

I'm also late to the party, picked up a psp this weekend along with: Crisis Core, Killzone, God of War (both), Metal Gear Solid (both) and Phantasy Star. So, I'll take the same recommendations as this guy.

Try looking into the Ys series. Valkyria Chronicles, some Atlus titles might inspire you ande of course, the many many PSOne CIassics.
freemind13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#765 freemind13
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

I'm moving away from home for a while, so looking for the best psp games to make up for losing my beloved home console. I like games like Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls, and Fable, huge games with coherent worlds that you enjoy spending lots of time in, and a nice mix of action, exploration, interaction, and story. Obviously the psp is far more limited in what it can achieve. So I guess I'm just looking for the best substitute.

So far I've played both God of Wars, and Killzone Liberation, which were all decent enough. But none of them lasted more than six hours in story mode, and they were all pretty much non-stop action. Resistance Retribution seems a bit more lengthy, but as a shooter it just feels like a huge step backwards in terms of enemy AI and level design, and the setting was pretty drab.

I've also played Crisis Core, and although as an FF7 fan I was motivated to finish the story, the actual gameplay itself was rather tedious and linear, as were the environments and non-speaking characters. Tales of Eternia seemed like a totally bog-standard psone rpg, and I didn't really care for the strategy gameplay of FF Tactics or Dissidia.

Still playing through the first MGS, but I don't like stealth games that much, and again, it's all mission based.

What I really want is an open world rpg with nice environments, a good story, and decent action. But failing that, I'll take any suggestions.

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#766 rubedisky

I'm moving away from home for a while, so looking for the best psp games to make up for losing my beloved home console. I like games like Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls, and Fable, huge games with coherent worlds that you enjoy spending lots of time in, and a nice mix of action, exploration, interaction, and story. Obviously the psp is far more limited in what it can achieve. So I guess I'm just looking for the best substitute.

So far I've played both God of Wars, and Killzone Liberation, which were all decent enough. But none of them lasted more than six hours in story mode, and they were all pretty much non-stop action. Resistance Retribution seems a bit more lengthy, but as a shooter it just feels like a huge step backwards in terms of enemy AI and level design, and the setting was pretty drab.

I've also played Crisis Core, and although as an FF7 fan I was motivated to finish the story, the actual gameplay itself was rather tedious and linear, as were the environments and non-speaking characters. Tales of Eternia seemed like a totally bog-standard psone rpg, and I didn't really care for the strategy gameplay of FF Tactics or Dissidia.

Still playing through the first MGS, but I don't like stealth games that much, and again, it's all mission based.

What I really want is an open world rpg with nice environments, a good story, and decent action. But failing that, I'll take any suggestions.

freemind13
valkyrie profile lenneth. Kinda open world. Maybe Ys seven or ys I and II chronicles? OR Oath in felghana?
freemind13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#767 freemind13
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations. Hadn't really considered the Ys series. I & II Chronicles looks way to retro for my taste (I hate sprites), but Seven looks graphically decent with good gameplay . The story and characters look seem pretty lame though. Valkyrie Profile looks like it has a much more interesting story and setting, but the turn based battles and 2-D sidescrolling don't really appeal. I like RPGs with integrated action, though I guess that's much harder to do well on the psp. Can you think of any games with dark stories like Valkyrie Profile but openworld action gameplay like Ys Seven?
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#768 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts
What are some good PSP games for online multiplayer???
fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#769 fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

Can someone recommend me any sprites hack&slash rpg's, I love Ys series and I think its the only sprites hack&slash rpg

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#770 Granpire

Can someone recommend me any sprites hack&slash rpg's, I love Ys series and I think its the only sprites hack&slash rpg

fgjnfgh
I know about, but haven't played, the Untold Legends games, two pretty early PSP titles, pretty much the first hack and slash games for the PSP. Cladun: This is an RPG could be considered Hack 'n Slash as well. Not my favorite genre, but I know these.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#771 Daavpuke
[QUOTE="fgjnfgh"]

Granpire
I know about, but haven't played, the Untold Legends games, two pretty early PSP titles, pretty much the first hack and slash games for the PSP. Cladun: This is an RPG could be considered Hack 'n Slash as well. Not my favorite genre, but I know these.

Untold Legends are awful games. You could try Tales Of Eternia, not as hack 'n slshy, but still a good playthrough and active combat system. There's also Dungeon Siege and Phantasy Star, though only the remakes from the latter are sprite based I believe.
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#772 Granpire
[QUOTE="Daavpuke"] Untold Legends are awful games.

A lot of people still liked them. I'd say they're good games, but from what I've read, their stories aren't very good, plus a few other things. To say they're "awful games" is a bit of an overstatement.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#773 Daavpuke
[QUOTE="Granpire"][QUOTE="Daavpuke"] Untold Legends are awful games.

A lot of people still liked them. I'd say they're good games, but from what I've read, their stories aren't very good, plus a few other things. To say they're "awful games" is a bit of an overstatement.

Nope, completely accurate. There isn't really a story, so much as a plot device pushing you towards yet another generic dungeon of boring unchanging combat over and over and over, with no seeming end, progression or climax or other enveloping gameplay appeal. If anything, Untold Legends compares more to a routine desk job, filing papers for 15 years, than it does compare to a great genre like hack and slash. It's the single most disappointing game I ever owned for my PSP.
GAMERKID707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#774 GAMERKID707
Member since 2009 • 461 Posts

what are some really fun online psp shooter games, some that counts my stats,i already know socom isgood for online but what others first person, third person idc

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#775 Daavpuke

what are some really fun online psp shooter games, some that counts my stats,i already know socom isgood for online but what others first person, third person idc

GAMERKID707
Not a big fan of the genre, but you might want to look into Killzone Liberation, Resistance Retribution and some of the Syphon filter games.
Zoe2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#776 Zoe2011
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
wo, this is a great thread! Good job! Will continue to pay attention to it.
Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#777 Harkat95
Member since 2009 • 1139 Posts
Been a while since anyone bumped this thread. Recently got a PSP and am playing through what are considered to be the classics. So far I have played: SyphonFilter: Dark Mirror - enjoyed it. GTA: Vice City Stories - enjoyed it relatively well. MGS: Peace Walker - absolutely loved it. I'm about two hours into Resistance: Retribution and am not liking it particularly, I find it shallow, repetitive, woefully generic, and lacking in punch. To put it plainly, it's a bit boring. I suppose what I want is an action or adventure game with tight gameplay and plenty to think about. I LOVED Peace Walker, and would like something this rounded and deep. I know I am setting some difficult criteria, but still, any recommendations are strongly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Chaay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#778 Chaay
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts
@Harkat95 If you loved Peacewalker there is also MGS: Portable Ops which is about as good, just less refined since it came out before PW.
hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#779 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

Are there any tower defense games? I have pixel junk monsters and would love more games like that.

Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#780 Harkat95
Member since 2009 • 1139 Posts
[QUOTE="Chaay"]@Harkat95 If you loved Peacewalker there is also MGS: Portable Ops which is about as good, just less refined since it came out before PW.

I was worried that Portable Ops would seem so great to me after playing PW, but you're saying it's good anyway?
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#781 Granpire

Are there any tower defense games? I have pixel junk monsters and would love more games like that.

hyperjj3000
There's Field Runners, which is apparently one of the best, but I never got what all the fuss was about. I like Bloons TD sometimes, but you're really going to have a struggle getting close to the excellency of PixelJunk Monsters.
rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#782 rubedisky

hyperjj3000
you might like savage moon the hera campaign.
Linkbest23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#783 Linkbest23
Member since 2008 • 590 Posts

ima get an rpg, i narrowed it down between ys seven and ff !V

wich one should i get

hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#784 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys:D

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#785 rubedisky

wich one should i get

Linkbest23
if you don't like annoying random battles get ys seven if you don't care about that, get both.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#786 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
So when the Package goes live, the PS3 games I'm getting are locked and loaded. But for the PSP, I'm getting LBP. The other, I'm trying to decide: ModNation (basically LBP with kart racers and online multiplayer) or Pursuit Force? Is PF better than MNR in any way?
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#787 Granpire

wich one should i get

Linkbest23
It depends on how much you enjoy gameplay/action vs. Story. Final Fantasy IV apparently has one of the best stories in the series, one that deals with death and conflict, as well as love. On the other hand, the gameplay is quite dated, with random encounters galore and lots of slow, turn-based combat. If you're a fan of this style of gameplay, then all the better, but if you prefer action, it's likely you'll prefer Ys. Ys Seven has a good story, but it doesn't deal with complex issues the way Final Fantasy IV does. It's more of a classic tale of brave adventurers vs. the bad guys. The gameplay has plenty of quick hack-and-slash combat, and things never get much deeper than putting on the right types of armor and weapons. Both games have good boss fights, forcing you to think and learn the patterns of enemy attacks, but both games have very different ways of approaching combat.
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#788 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
Hey guys! I just got a new charger for my super old PSP but I don't have any games. So I'm looking at getting some older games so I can save some money. I want games that play well on the PSP. I don't really want games that I can get on my Xbox or PS3. Old school RPGS or some kind of puzzle game. Would it be worth it to get Patapon over the 3rd or 2nd Patapon games? Any other old PSP games I should play let me know.
Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#789 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

Hey guys, I'm looking for a lengthy and good RPG. I'm trying to decide between Valkyria Chronicles 2 (I played 1, I haven't finished it yet but I loved it) and Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Which one is longer and/or funner?

Shrimpkid300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#790 Shrimpkid300
Hey guys! I just got a new charger for my super old PSP but I don't have any games. So I'm looking at getting some older games so I can save some money. I want games that play well on the PSP. I don't really want games that I can get on my Xbox or PS3. Old school RPGS or some kind of puzzle game. Would it be worth it to get Patapon over the 3rd or 2nd Patapon games? Any other old PSP games I should play let me know.chaoz-king
Does it matter if its old school? If not then you should get crimson gem saga and final fantasy tactics.
DRAGONPIECEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#791 DRAGONPIECEZ
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts

Hey guys! For the Welcome Back deal I just got Modnation Racers. I'm deciding between Killzone Liberation or Pursuit Force as my other game. Any suggestions?

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#792 Granpire

Hey guys! For the Welcome Back deal I just got Modnation Racers. I'm deciding between Killzone Liberation or Pursuit Force as my other game. Any suggestions?

DRAGONPIECEZ
Killzone is very difficult, more mature. I haven't played it very much, but it's very tactical for a top-down shooter. From what I know about Pursuit Force, it's just crazy mindless fun. It involves a police officer who jumps onto and into different cars in car chases to take down criminals. Both were favorably reviewed, but both games have very different ambiances. One is a picture of mindless fun action, while the other is more serious and gritty.
DRAGONPIECEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#793 DRAGONPIECEZ
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts

[QUOTE="DRAGONPIECEZ"]

Granpire

Killzone is very difficult, more mature. I haven't played it very much, but it's very tactical for a top-down shooter. From what I know about Pursuit Force, it's just crazy mindless fun. It involves a police officer who jumps onto and into different cars in car chases to take down criminals. Both were favorably reviewed, but both games have very different ambiances. One is a picture of mindless fun action, while the other is more serious and gritty.

Yeah I'm swaying more towards Pursuit Force just because of the mindless fun and because there doesn't seem to be many games like that one. Thanks for your feedback

Ghalion83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#794 Ghalion83
This is weird but funny in its own way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wfJWcaStEA And PSP/PSN needs to get playstation 2 games on the playstation network!!
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#795 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

This is weird but funny in its own way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wfJWcaStEA And PSP/PSN needs to get playstation 2 games on the playstation network!!Ghalion83

Not for the PSP, they wouldn't work... Maybe for the Vita though.

rmaxmehta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#796 rmaxmehta
you forgot..... GOD OF WAR:gost of sparta
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#797 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
Hey guys, I was wondering if the PSP has any Zelda-esque titles. At the moment I own Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Jeanne d'Arc.
B-boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#798 B-boy
Member since 2002 • 1965 Posts
Why a lot stupid people complain the psp sucks, I thinks the psp the greaters hald held since the sega game gear. psp>ds
DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#799 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

Hey guys, I was wondering if the PSP has any Zelda-esque titles. At the moment I own Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Jeanne d'Arc.forgot_it

You should check out Ys Seven and Oath in Felghana.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#800 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

[QUOTE="forgot_it"]Hey guys, I was wondering if the PSP has any Zelda-esque titles. At the moment I own Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Jeanne d'Arc.DJChuy

You should check out Ys Seven and Oath in Felghana.

Thanks for the recommend. Went out and bought Ys Seven and loving it :).