PSP Recommendation Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#652 Posted by Hesslv (39 posts) -

Top 10 PSP games everyone must own?

Just bought a PSP online and need to build a collection!

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
#653 Posted by garrett_duffman (10684 posts) -
[QUOTE="SMDan20"][QUOTE="DGDG1989"]Is getting a PSP worth it just for the following games? Dissidia Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Naruto Shippuden Legends, Soulcalibur Broken Destiny, Rock Band Unplugged, Phantasy Star Portable, God of War Chain of Olympus, Resistance Retribution, Bleach Heat The Soul (I know there are 6 games but which one is the best?)

dude phantasy star is on the sega genesis collection for the psp. It has 4 phantasy star games on it, plus many more. Also, you can save your progress in that game on the memory stick and resume. Same with all of the games on it.

wrong. Phantasy Star Portable plays similarly to Phantasy star universe, and personally, if you were going to get a Phantasy star portable game, get the second one, its better. Also, Sega genesis collection only had phantasy star 2,3, and 4, the first game was released on the sega master system, not the genesis.
#654 Posted by Daavpuke (13771 posts) -

Hesslv
Crisis Core Fat Princess Resistance It dwindles a little from there, but those certainly.
#655 Posted by Hesslv (39 posts) -
[QUOTE="Hesslv"]

Daavpuke
Crisis Core Fat Princess Resistance It dwindles a little from there, but those certainly.

Thanks!
Avatar image for cyanidebakesale
#656 Posted by cyanidebakesale (387 posts) -

Hesslv

FF: Dissidia

KH: Birth By Sleep

Persona 3: Portable (if you like turn based rpgs)

MGS: Peace Walker

Silent Hill: Origins/Shattered memories (short but fun)

#657 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -
Can someone help me find a good racing game for PSP? One that has free roaming and loads of cars to select from besides the Midnight Clubs Thanks :) been a while since I used this thread.
#658 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
[QUOTE="rwallacefan"]Can someone help me find a good racing game for PSP? One that has free roaming and loads of cars to select from besides the Midnight Clubs Thanks :) been a while since I used this thread.

The first one that comes to mind is Need For Speed Carbon: Own the City. It's not nearly as stylish or or beautiful as the Midnight Club series, but the wingmen make the gameplay a little different, and it does have a sort of story with cutscenes. Driver '76 got mixed reviews, some people liked it, some people hated it. I never really had the chance to try it yet. But driver is more like GTA with an emphasis on driving than a racing game. Test Drive Unlimited is a decent game, driving is slick, but the framerate and graphics really aren't. It has one of the prettier open worlds(Hawaii), but the fact that it's a PS2 port really shows. The online play is also discontinued. I think that's about it for Open world racing for PSP. Honestly though, I'd rather play through Midnight Club LA Remix for my third time before I start one of these. Nothing comes close to MCLAR in my book.
#659 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -
Thanks a lot Granpire :) what about an RPG that has free roaming?
#660 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
[QUOTE="rwallacefan"]Thanks a lot Granpire :) what about an RPG that has free roaming?

I don't play too many RPGs, but I think many(most?) Japanese RPGs are free-roaming. I could be wrong though. Either way, the PSP has an astounding amount of JRPGs to offer, most of which I'm not familiar with. I wouldn't mind a few recommendations myself. I know that Persona 3 Portable is an exceptional game, and it has a sort of open world twist, but it's more like dungeon exploring at night and point and click adventure during daytime. Gun: Showdown is another open-world game I immensely enjoyed. It's no RPG or racer, but riding around on your horse through the beautiful wild west is quite fun, especially when the combat is so much fun.
#661 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -
Thanks a bunch :)
#662 Posted by Hesslv (39 posts) -

Looking at Ys Seven, never heard or played one of the Ys before but they look fun.

Seems prices for Ys Seven and Ys: The Oath in Felghana are close so which one is better?

#663 Posted by Zepheral (33 posts) -
Most these games I beasted on. Great list. Go Disssidia!
#664 Posted by Zepheral (33 posts) -
Check reviews and game play of these games to see witch one suites you. That's what I usually do.
#665 Posted by Firosen (433 posts) -
[QUOTE="Granpire"][QUOTE="rwallacefan"]Thanks a lot Granpire :) what about an RPG that has free roaming?

I don't play too many RPGs, but I think many(most?) Japanese RPGs are free-roaming. I could be wrong though. Either way, the PSP has an astounding amount of JRPGs to offer, most of which I'm not familiar with. I wouldn't mind a few recommendations myself. I know that Persona 3 Portable is an exceptional game, and it has a sort of open world twist, but it's more like dungeon exploring at night and point and click adventure during daytime. Gun: Showdown is another open-world game I immensely enjoyed. It's no RPG or racer, but riding around on your horse through the beautiful wild west is quite fun, especially when the combat is so much fun.

I've been playing RPG's since I was a kid, and about 99% of them have been very linear "follow corridor, fight boss, repeat" type of games. If you're looking for a game where you're not just following a story sequence in a straight line, you'd be hard-pressed to find it on the PSP. The closest thing I could suggest would be the Phantasy Star games. The game play's akin to a hack-n-slash game and you do have a bit more freedom in choosing how you want the story to progress, but if you're looking for a sandbox RPG, I wouldn't know what to tell you.
#666 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
Isn't Ys Seven fairly open in terms of side-quests and objectives, etc?
#667 Posted by dyrik2 (25 posts) -
GTA VCS cool game
#668 Posted by Hesslv (39 posts) -
Is Free Running worth it? Might pick up a copy for 20 bucks off eBay. If I buy a game from the UK will it work on my psp here In America?
#669 Posted by Xx-Addict-xX (1119 posts) -
Dynasty Warriors (any of them) or The Warriors Orochi series fun? Got 'ok' reviews, i know they both get reptiitve with just the button mashing, but are they good ports? Good Controls? Good ENOUGH graphics? Any suggestions or people bought? -PS don't really care about online play on em'
#670 Posted by giantqtipz (867 posts) -

hey guys. so im getting a PSP tomorrow. and im wondering if anyone can recommend a game that will last long?

i know for certain im getting Kingdom heats and MGS peace walker

but im also looking for games that has multiplayer value and has a big community

ill accept any game.

also quick question. is there a fun racing game that has a big mp community? i dont like GT because its just a racing sim. im mainly looking for a unique racer; perhaps like Need for Speed hot pursuit for the Xbox 360. its like a cop vs racer game.

anyway yeah; thanks guys :)

#671 Posted by Xx-Addict-xX (1119 posts) -
I'm also looking for a good racer on the arcade side. I know there's like 5 NFS's any good?
#672 Posted by Zepheral (33 posts) -

Phantasy Star portable 2. Getting to lv 200 will be hard but you'll be online playing with many people collecting items,customizing characters and lv up other ranks.

#673 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
I'm also looking for a good racer on the arcade side. I know there's like 5 NFS's any good?Xx-Addict-xX
If you look on the previous page, I talked about NFS Carbon: Own The City, Midnight Club, and Test Drive. They're all pretty arcade-like. Those are the only good ones I can think of off the top of my head.
#675 Posted by Daavpuke (13771 posts) -

hey guys. so im getting a PSP tomorrow. and im wondering if anyone can recommend a game that will last long?

i know for certain im getting Kingdom heats and MGS peace walker

but im also looking for games that has multiplayer value and has a big community

ill accept any game.

also quick question. is there a fun racing game that has a big mp community? i dont like GT because its just a racing sim. im mainly looking for a unique racer; perhaps like Need for Speed hot pursuit for the Xbox 360. its like a cop vs racer game.

anyway yeah; thanks guys :)

giantqtipz
Last long: Basically, any tactics game. Monster Hunters Final Fantasy VII Multiplayer: Resistance (if you can access the server) Fat Princess Socom Racers: WipeOut
#676 Posted by Emurozii (269 posts) -

for people that've played FF2 on the PSP, is it worth getting? i've never played the real two at all, and i've only heard bad things about it.

#677 Posted by nerdjohn77 (34 posts) -

Is Ace Combat Joint Assualt online any good?

#678 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -

I'm also looking for a good racer on the arcade side. I know there's like 5 NFS's any good?Xx-Addict-xX

Very good Undercover is the only one left online though

#679 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -

Is Ace Combat Joint Assualt online any good?

nerdjohn77
Hope so I wanna get it.
#680 Posted by lordsounder (73 posts) -
most of those games are really good, thank for making this list, it reminds me about some games i've played a lot and now thy're forgotten under my bed :p but it will change now... i'd like to add two games to this list: Mega Man Paper Wars simple, but great games for me (and a lot time spent)..
#681 Posted by WockaFlocka (173 posts) -
If any of you are into simple platfrm games, I recommend n+. It's insanly difficult, but addicting at the same time. And it's only 14.99! Heres a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TPTCS2?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1
#682 Posted by XeroEX (495 posts) -

I recently bought a PSP and heard the Monster Hunter games were really good. Which of the three should I get?

#683 Posted by Daavpuke (13771 posts) -

I recently bought a PSP and heard the Monster Hunter games were really good. Which of the three should I get?

XeroEX
I'd say latest, that's usually how it works.
#684 Posted by XeroEX (495 posts) -

[QUOTE="XeroEX"]

Daavpuke

I'd say latest, that's usually how it works.

Thanks. I wasn't sure because I'm still new to this whole PSP thing. Looks like I'll be getting Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

#685 Posted by KillerWabbit23 (3466 posts) -

I've got 10 bucks burning a hole in my pocket on the PS Store. Best way to spend it?

(I already have Prinny, btw- 'twas my first purchase with the card)

#686 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -

I've got 10 bucks burning a hole in my pocket on the PS Store. Best way to spend it?

KillerWabbit23
My first suggestion off the bat is PixelJunk Monsters, but I'm not sure if ten dollars is counting tax or not. There's the Patapons, Locoroco, and some Playstation titles. Lots more, that's just what comes to mind first, Sorry, I'm feeling pretty somnolent right now(tired). :P
#687 Posted by KillerWabbit23 (3466 posts) -

[QUOTE="KillerWabbit23"]

Granpire

My first suggestion off the bat is PixelJunk Monsters, but I'm not sure if ten dollars is counting tax or not. There's the Patapons, Locoroco, and some Playstation titles. Lots more, that's just what comes to mind first, Sorry, I'm feeling pretty somnolent right now(tired). :P

Naw, tax is not an object. I can just scrape off the rest with a credit card.

Also, I was thinking of something more along the lines of A Space Shooter For Two Bucks! or something.

#688 Posted by Daavpuke (13771 posts) -

[QUOTE="Granpire"][QUOTE="KillerWabbit23"]

KillerWabbit23

Naw, tax is not an object. I can just scrape off the rest with a credit card.

Also, I was thinking of something more along the lines of A Space Shooter For Two Bucks! or something.

I'd go with a PSOne cIassic for 10 bucks or less, most of them are amazing.
#689 Posted by KillerWabbit23 (3466 posts) -

I know it's kinda hard to make reccomendations w/o knowing what kind of games I like, so I just compiled a smaller list of games.

Reccommend me the best ones out of these four:

No Heroes Allowed!

MGS: Portable Ops Plus

Burnout Legends

What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord! 2

(note- I didn't put any RPGs on this list b/c I'm kinda burnt out on them as of late)

#690 Posted by Daavpuke (13771 posts) -
Well WDID is a little RPG, so Burnout
#691 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
Everyone should play Burnout, PO Plus is absolute trash in singleplayer, a blast in multiplayer, and the others are a bit RPGish, but apparently good. I'd go with Burnout, tried and true PSP classic.
#692 Posted by Skoxz (25 posts) -

Monsters (probably) stole my princess, is a good game?
Is not too short like other minis?

Thanks.

#693 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -

Monsters (probably) stole my princess, is a good game?
Is not too short like other minis?

Thanks.

Skoxz

PSPminis.com gave it a 9, saying the game was great, funny, and addictive, but one paragraph in particular stands out for your situation:

The animation and art ****in general is simply gorgeous, possibly the best I've seen in a mini to date. It only falls slightly shy of being a perfect 10 out of 10 for me because it is rather short, leaving you wanting more. Hopefully Mediatonic will be giving us another instalment of The Count's adventures in the future.

PSPminis

That said, it's a simple doodlejump clone, and it even sounds a little better in some ways. But it doesn't have a whole lot of lasting value. If you want, you could keep playing the score attack mode and competing for top scores with your friends, but unlike Doodlejump, it doesn't have the iPod Touch's touch-screen appeal.

If you want lasting value, I'd recommend History Egypt: Engineering an Empire. It's a great Civilization clone(turn based strategy) that gives you plenty of depth and gameplay.

But check out pspminis.com for future reviews on minis, it's the best place to look for everything to do with PSP minis.

#694 Posted by rubedisky (1024 posts) -
Everyone should play Burnout, PO Plus is absolute trash in singleplayer, a blast in multiplayer, and the others are a bit RPGish, but apparently good. I'd go with Burnout, tried and true PSP classic.Granpire
PO plus was one of my worst purchases. Really bad controls.
#695 Posted by KillerWabbit23 (3466 posts) -

Yeah, tried the demoes for WDID and No Heroes Allowed, WOW those games are hard.

I'll wait until the PS Store updates later today in case anything I want drops in price, but Burnout is probably what I'm gonna get. Thanks!

#696 Posted by WockaFlocka (173 posts) -
Any good rpgs or stealth? preferably less then 35 dollars.
#697 Posted by Daavpuke (13771 posts) -
[QUOTE="WockaFlocka"]Any good rpgs or stealth? preferably less then 35 dollars.

Loads. Where to start? FFVII Crisis Core Ys Seven Persona(s) Hezyx Force Tales Of Eternia And just about any cIassic PSONE rpg in the store.
#698 Posted by rubedisky (1024 posts) -
[QUOTE="Daavpuke"][QUOTE="WockaFlocka"]Any good rpgs or stealth? preferably less then 35 dollars.

Loads. Where to start? FFVII Crisis Core Ys Seven Persona(s) Hezyx Force Tales Of Eternia And just about any cIassic PSONE rpg in the store.

sadly we don't have to many psone classics like the american psn. *sigh*.
#699 Posted by Daavpuke (13771 posts) -
I know, but there's FF and that's plenty.
#700 Posted by KillerWabbit23 (3466 posts) -

Any good rpgs or stealth? preferably less then 35 dollars.WockaFlocka

The FF games are a great place to start.

There's FF9, FF8, FF7, FF7 Crisis Core, FF1 and 2, FF Tactics (and a remake, War of the Lions I think it's called)... etc.

But stealth games? Hm... there's Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, it's currently 30$. I don't know if Portable Ops or PO Plus is stealthy, but you might wanna try those. Also, the Syphon Filter games are good stealth games.