Why today's kids look down upon religion ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#151 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
Member since 2004 • 14645 Posts

Technology, I think, isolates us. It keeps us content with being behind our computer monitors and engaging in pseudorelationships. When we remove ourselves from actual human interactions, we remove our desire to believe in God.Genetic_Code
If isolation causes irreligion, then why is it so prevalent in densely populated areas and not rural areas?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

Probably because 95% of the arguments one can find that are in favour of religion are also total ****.

Like the post that the O.P. made.

Barbariser

Actually, it's been studied, and there is a slightly different number:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EphcacBt-Mk

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#153 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
because the youth of today has a open mind and realize religion is nothing more then a tool to control the masses
Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts
[QUOTE="CaveJohnson1"]There being no presented evidence is more than enough reason to doubt the existence of something, let alone basing your life upon it, or going as far as many religious people go and try to force their beliefs on others, even when they themselves have no evidence.Vandalvideo
The absence of evidence is not itself the evidence of absence. Merely because you have no evidence that X is the case, that is not sufficient justification to say that X is not the case. Schrodinger's cat; until you can prove that X is not the case, X may still and yet may still not be the case at the same time. It is a fallacy to state, merely because you have no evidence presented to you, that no evidence exists. There are far too many unknown variables; inadequate research, inadequate resources, etc. Until you can prove that these religious people have no evidence, the intellectually proper thing to do is to withhold judgment. All judgment. [QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"] you could also hold the evidence for dragons, santa claws, the tooth fairy and batman. but untl you present that evidence i have no reason to believe you.

Neither do you have reason to say that I am wrong or that I actually do not have evidence.

but the burden of proof is fairly and squarely with the person making extraordinary claims.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#155 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
but the burden of proof is fairly and squarely with the person making extraordinary claims. Vinegar_Strokes
The burden of proof is on the person who makes a claim, regardless of what claim that may be. Making a negative claim is just as much of a claim as a positive claim. If you want to say X is not the case, you must show X is not the case. Merely because the positive claim has not been shown does not mean the negative claim has been shown.
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Vinegar_Strokes
[QUOTE="sonicare"]

I thought education was worse. Arent kids getting dumber? Like their scores keep falling. I think kids these days believe that math and science are also gods and thus they dont believe in them or understand them.

Vandalvideo
Well mathematics and science are based around the same crux as religion is; an unwavering belief in a sense of some kind which is plausibly subject to the sways of delusion and subterfuge. I question the scientist as much as I do the priar.

but the scientist would welcome the questioning. that is what science is about. test and retest. question and requestion. be critical in your thinking and not just believe anything for no good reason
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Vinegar_Strokes
[QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"]but the burden of proof is fairly and squarely with the person making extraordinary claims. Vandalvideo
The burden of proof is on the person who makes a claim, regardless of what claim that may be. Making a negative claim is just as much of a claim as a positive claim. If you want to say X is not the case, you must show X is not the case. Merely because the positive claim has not been shown does not mean the negative claim has been shown.

but a negative can not be proven so i guess you win. i can never disprove that there is no god.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Vandalvideo
]but the scientist would welcome the questioning. that is what science is about. test and retest. question and requestion. be critical in your thinking and not just believe anything for no good reason Vinegar_Strokes
I've seen far too many science text books and heard far too many scientific lectures written and spoken in the same absolutist commentary as religion that I question how much such an idealistic notion of science is actually applied. It may be because of the human condition, but I've only met one scientist, and he is a student at the moment, who has been willing to approach outer world skepticism with the kind of cold, calculated approach you just described. [QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"] but a negative can not be proven so i guess you win. i can never disprove that there is no god.

It is called a contrapositive. It is not impossible to prove a negative. You must merely show that a necessary negative trait does not obtain. For instance; Bacon exists only if milk does not exist. Milk exists. Bacon does not exist. Are the premises here true? Maybe, maybe not. Probably not. That is just to show how a contrapositive works.
drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

I was raised in the church and while I question my belief of god, I still do believe religion teaches good morals and behaviors for the most part. Nothing wrong with that.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

[QUOTE="m25105"]Religion doesn't cause wars. Please point to me where it does.Conno08

Hi there!

Read about it before you poste it. Religion was not the cause of it, it was a contributing factor to it.
CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 CaveJohnson1
Member since 2011 • 1714 Posts

[QUOTE="CaveJohnson1"]There being no presented evidence is more than enough reason to doubt the existence of something, let alone basing your life upon it, or going as far as many religious people go and try to force their beliefs on others, even when they themselves have no evidence.Vandalvideo
The absence of evidence is not itself the evidence of absence. Merely because you have no evidence that X is the case, that is not sufficient justification to say that X is not the case. Schrodinger's cat; until you can prove that X is not the case, X may still and yet may still not be the case at the same time. It is a fallacy to state, merely because you have no evidence presented to you, that no evidence exists. There are far too many unknown variables; inadequate research, inadequate resources, etc. Until you can prove that these religious people have no evidence, the intellectually proper thing to do is to withhold judgment. All judgment.

I think u miss my point, I merely imply that believing something based on nothing is wrong, period. Holding an "agnostic" stance on something is one thing, but assuming and going on to base large parts of your life on said assumption is logically flawed, and kind of sad.

Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts
Because the kids of today are smarter -.-...
Lotus-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50513 Posts
Just blame the Interwebz. Easy.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#164 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Because the kids of today are smarter -.-...Roushrsh
They're dumber according to standardized testing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

[QUOTE="Conno08"]

[QUOTE="m25105"]Religion doesn't cause wars. Please point to me where it does.m25105

Hi there!

Read about it before you poste it. Religion was not the cause of it, it was a contributing factor to it.

The Crusades were a series of religiously sanctioned military campaigns, called by the popewikipedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

[QUOTE="Roushrsh"]Because the kids of today are smarter -.-...sonicare

Standardized testing only measures a very narrow range of skills.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="Roushrsh"]Because the kids of today are smarter -.-...jaydough

Yes, like math and science.
mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#168 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

[QUOTE="Conno08"]

[QUOTE="m25105"]Religion doesn't cause wars. Please point to me where it does.m25105

Hi there!

The Crusades were a religious campaign, all 9 of them. There was aspects that contributed to the crusades but as for the crusades they were purely religion motivated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

[QUOTE="jaydough"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"] They're dumber according to standardized testing.sonicare

But what about critical thinking?

Avatar image for deactivated-590595a6292ce
deactivated-590595a6292ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 deactivated-590595a6292ce
Member since 2008 • 5080 Posts

[QUOTE="Conno08"]

Hi there!

"main goal of restoring Christian control of the Holy Land" - You sure?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="m25105"][QUOTE="Conno08"]

Hi there!

The Crusades where a religious campaign, all 9 of them. There was aspects that contributed to the crusades but as for the crusades they where purely religion motivated.

I dont know if that is true. The middle east was a center for trade and commerce back during the times of the crusades. Several major trade routes went through that region. Several scholars make the argument that there were geopolitical reasons for the crusades that had nothing to do with religion. In addition to being a "religous" organization, the catholic church of the crusade era was also a powerful political and economic entity. It may have been trying to preseve/expand itself under the guise of a "crusade".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="jaydough"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="jaydough"] Standardized testing only measures a very narrow range of skills.

But what about critical thinking?

All I know is that math and science scores have been steadily dropping. Those are two subjects that rely heavily on critical thinking and logic.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#173 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Mostly ignorance. I grew up knowing nothing about religion for the most part, and grew to be very caustic towards both religion and those who are religious. Then I started learning about religion through high school and went on to become a religion major in university, and have developed not only an extensive knowledge of religions from all over the world, but a great respect for those who practice it (rather than just preach it). Most people even who claim to be religious don't necessarily know that much about their religion of choice, and I think that is a major problem in the modern world. People are groomed to believe a certain set of principles from an early age, and are not encouraged to seek the answers for themselves (which religious institutions did for the longest time).
mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 mattisgod01

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="m25105"] Read about it before you poste it. Religion was not the cause of it, it was a contributing factor to it.sonicare

The Crusades where a religious campaign, all 9 of them. There was aspects that contributed to the crusades but as for the crusades they where purely religion motivated.

I dont know if that is true. The middle east was a center for trade and commerce back during the times of the crusades. Several major trade routes went through that region. Several scholars make the argument that there were geopolitical reasons for the crusades that had nothing to do with religion. In addition to being a "religous" organization, the catholic church of the crusade era was also a powerful political and economic entity. It may have been trying to preseve/expand itself under the guise of a "crusade".

Like i said, there were many other things that contributed to the crusades but as for the crusaders themselves, they marched because they belevied it was Gods will, The Crusades, Especially the first was incredibly brutal not only for those who suffered at the hands of the Crusaders but for the crusaders themselves, most of whom only kept marching through their devotion and faith.

Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#175 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts

I'm a teen... And I'm religous.

The too arn't at all mutually exclusive :?

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#176 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Religion and morals don't have to go hand in hand.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#177 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
I don't see why they have to believe and follow religion. If they want to, that's cool and it is cool if they do not want to. People do have to make their own decisions. Religion doesn't really guarantee a better or greater life. I guess to some they believe that it gives their life something to look forward to.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#178 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I notice most of todays kids ( Teenagers )avoid being religious and are atheist. They beleive in studying / working hard , enjoying party , live life kingsize than being religious. They'd rather follow a Rock / Metal group than follow a religion.

Religion is foundation of ones culture and ethics . Religion saves a person from doing wrong things as Sex , doing Drugs ETC kind of sins. Being Religious brings peace of mind .

Something is really wrong with today's kids . I blame Advancement of Technology and Fast Life ( Always running after Money & Pleasure ) .

indzman

I don't know if it's so much that kids "look down" on religion. I think the main thing here is indifference, not so much as atheism or anti-religious ideology.

I think too that teenagers go through a strange phase - on the one hand they claim to be rebellious and "independent" yet on they other hand they tend to follow their own peers. I think they seem to be lead more by emotion than by reason.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 whipassmt

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

mattisgod01

Like i said, there were many other things that contributed to the crusades but as for the crusaders themselves, they marched because they belevied it was Gods will, The Crusades, Especially the first was incredibly brutal not only for those who suffered at the hands of the Crusaders but for the crusaders themselves, most of whom only kept marching through their devotion and faith.

The "brutality of the Crusades" were nothing compared to that of contemporary wars such as WWI and WWII.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 whipassmt

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="m25105"] Read about it before you poste it. Religion was not the cause of it, it was a contributing factor to it.sonicare

Also at the time the Crusades were launched, the Arabs were already occupying Spain (they tried to attack France, but Charles Martel stopped them). I think a big factor in the First Crusade was that the Ottomans where gobbling up the dying Byzantine Empire and the Byzantine Emperor asked the Pope for help, lest the Ottomans seize Constantinople.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 mattisgod01

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"] I dont know if that is true. The middle east was a center for trade and commerce back during the times of the crusades. Several major trade routes went through that region. Several scholars make the argument that there were geopolitical reasons for the crusades that had nothing to do with religion. In addition to being a "religous" organization, the catholic church of the crusade era was also a powerful political and economic entity. It may have been trying to preseve/expand itself under the guise of a "crusade".whipassmt

The "brutality of the Crusades" were nothing compared to that of contemporary wars such as WWI and WWII.

By what measurment? They where just as brutal if not more so in every way besides total death toll.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 mattisgod01

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

whipassmt

Also at the time the Crusades were launched, the Arabs were already occupying Spain (they tried to attack France, but Charles Martel stopped them). I think a big factor in the First Crusade was that the Ottomans where gobbling up the dying Byzantine Empire and the Byzantine Emperor asked the Pope for help, lest the Ottomans seize Constantinople.

The first Crusader began when Alexius, The Byzantine Emperor asked Pope Urban II for assistance in repelling the Turks. The Pope then spread rumours of Christians being brutally treated at the hands of the Muslims. He then used the situation to send an army of fanatical crusaders to retake Jerusalem. Alot of the backroom deals and truth of the whole event was far more sinister and selfish but the average crusader or pretty much every crusader was motivated by religious fanaticism.

CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 CaveJohnson1

Mostly ignorance. I grew up knowing nothing about religion for the most part, and grew to be very caustic towards both religion and those who are religious. Then I started learning about religion through high school and went on to become a religion major in university, and have developed not only an extensive knowledge of religions from all over the world, but a great respect for those who practice it (rather than just preach it). Most people even who claim to be religious don't necessarily know that much about their religion of choice, and I think that is a major problem in the modern world. People are groomed to believe a certain set of principles from an early age, and are not encouraged to seek the answers for themselves (which religious institutions did for the longest time).foxhound_fox
I just had a thought, maybe religion is kinda like soft drugs in a sense.

Not in the way people who rage at this post will think but something I've seen in life is kids being misled or strait up lied to about drugs, then comes the inevitable situation where they have to decide and often at least give passing try. Suddenly they relize that everything they've heard has been crap and their inhibitions and rationalities go to **** and they go farther than they should. They think that because much of what they've been taught has been lies that nothing they've been told on the subject could be correct and go farther with them than they should.

This I have seen myself, and I know that it's human nature to assume, not to think critically.

This goes just as well with religion, kids are taught alot of lies and half truths about religion, often by people who have mediocre knowledge on the subject at best. When they get older and learn something like Jesus was not considered a god until the third century after it was decided by a voteand they go farther then that and start to assume alot of what they were taught was incorrect.

It's absolutely true that Christianity has an ubsurd amount of lies tact onto it, and more flaws than can be accounted for, and all it takes is one thing to be brought into light for somebody to question their faith, especially among a generation that was not very faithful to begin with.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Vandalvideo
I think u miss my point, I merely imply that believing something based on nothing is wrong, period. Holding an "agnostic" stance on something is one thing, but assuming and going on to base large parts of your life on said assumption is logically flawed, and kind of sad.CaveJohnson1
At this moment, I see nothing wrong with your implication, but the way you worded it made it seem like you were extending the argument a little too far. Sure, it may well be that basing a belief on no evidence is intellectual defunct. At the same time, getting to that statement by saying that they do not have evidence is the wrong way to go about it. (For I myself am unaware as to whether there is evidence or not, because it ultimately depends on how you define the divine and how you define evidence)
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

I notice most of todays kids ( Teenagers )avoid being religious and are atheist. They beleive in studying / working hard , enjoying party , live life kingsize than being religious. They'd rather follow a Rock / Metal group than follow a religion.

Religion is foundation of ones culture and ethics . Religion saves a person from doing wrong things as Sex , doing Drugs ETC kind of sins. Being Religious brings peace of mind .

Something is really wrong with today's kids . I blame Advancement of Technology and Fast Life ( Always running after Money & Pleasure ) .

indzman

Because religion is useless.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Mostly ignorance. I grew up knowing nothing about religion for the most part, and grew to be very caustic towards both religion and those who are religious. Then I started learning about religion through high school and went on to become a religion major in university, and have developed not only an extensive knowledge of religions from all over the world, but a great respect for those who practice it (rather than just preach it). Most people even who claim to be religious don't necessarily know that much about their religion of choice, and I think that is a major problem in the modern world. People are groomed to believe a certain set of principles from an early age, and are not encouraged to seek the answers for themselves (which religious institutions did for the longest time).foxhound_fox

This is really it. You are either groomed into it, or groomed to stay away from it. For the most part its really just the way you grew up. Very few feel the need to reach out beyond what they are comfortable with. Kudos for Foxhound for looking deeper.

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#188 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts

Because we are taught rational thought from a very early age.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

is there a statistic on how religious young people are? There's high school religious groups and college groups like Campus Crusade for Christ. but anecdotes from either side don't tell the whole story, so are there hard numbers on this?

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]because kids are dumb and think they know everythingPirate700

Truth.

I'm not dumb :(

CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 CaveJohnson1

is there a statistic on how religious young people are? There's high school religious groups and college groups like Campus Crusade for Christ. but anecdotes from either side don't tell the whole story, so are there hard numbers on this?

Mordred19

it's in decline.

probably the best source out there.

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#192 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts

inyourface_12
I'd say this.
CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 CaveJohnson1

[QUOTE="inyourface_12"]

Richymisiak

I'd say this.

Looking at people today, I can tell you for sure that it is not this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="Richymisiak"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]

I'd say this.

Except that kids really arent taught rational thought from an early age. There's lots of studies showing that kids are less educated compared to past generations. Declining scores in many areas seem to suppor this. Not just in the US but in some european countries as well.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#195 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Richymisiak"][QUOTE="inyourface_12"]

sonicare

I'd say this.

Except that kids really arent taught rational thought from an early age. There's lots of studies showing that kids are less educated compared to past generations. Declining scores in many areas seem to suppor this. Not just in the US but in some european countries as well.

Scores in testing methods that have remained the same for the period of time that is being taken into consideration?

I dont think we should so easily conclude from what you say (I know nothing more so we may both be missing some valuable info) that kids today are not as well educated compared to past generations.

kev_stevens67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 kev_stevens67
Member since 2010 • 616 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Mostly ignorance. I grew up knowing nothing about religion for the most part, and grew to be very caustic towards both religion and those who are religious. Then I started learning about religion through high school and went on to become a religion major in university, and have developed not only an extensive knowledge of religions from all over the world, but a great respect for those who practice it (rather than just preach it). Most people even who claim to be religious don't necessarily know that much about their religion of choice, and I think that is a major problem in the modern world. People are groomed to believe a certain set of principles from an early age, and are not encouraged to seek the answers for themselves (which religious institutions did for the longest time).CaveJohnson1

Not in the way people who rage at this post will think but something I've seen in life is kids being misled or strait up lied to about drugs, then comes the inevitable situation where they have to decide and often at least give passing try. Suddenly they relize that everything they've heard has been crap and their inhibitions and rationalities go to **** and they go farther than they should. They think that because much of what they've been taught has been lies that nothing they've been told on the subject could be correct and go farther with them than they should.

This I have seen myself, and I know that it's human nature to assume, not to think critically.

This goes just as well with religion, kids are taught alot of lies and half truths about religion, often by people who have mediocre knowledge on the subject at best. When they get older and learn something like Jesus was not considered a god until the third century after it was decided by a voteand they go farther then that and start to assume alot of what they were taught was incorrect.

It's absolutely true that Christianity has an ubsurd amount of lies tact onto it, and more flaws than can be accounted for, and all it takes is one thing to be brought into light for somebody to question their faith, especially among a generation that was not very faithful to begin with.

I've heard that before - about the vote thing. My apologies, but I am a little confused how that could cause someone to leave their faith because of that. I would hope they sit down and think for themselves though. I'm sure it's just me though. I just don't understand how, because of a vote, I am closer to leaving Christianity. Perhaps I misunderstood you.

kev_stevens67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 kev_stevens67

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="Richymisiak"] I'd say this.Teenaged

Scores in testing methods that have remained the same for the period of time that is being taken into consideration?

I dont think we should so easily conclude from what you say (I know nothing more so we may both be missing some valuable info) that kids today are not as well educated compared to past generations.

It's interesting, you would think, well at least I would think, with the invention of the Internet, kids will be getting more intelligent. Perhaps they are more likely to play games and get on facebook, then actually learn something.

CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 CaveJohnson1

[QUOTE="CaveJohnson1"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Mostly ignorance. I grew up knowing nothing about religion for the most part, and grew to be very caustic towards both religion and those who are religious. Then I started learning about religion through high school and went on to become a religion major in university, and have developed not only an extensive knowledge of religions from all over the world, but a great respect for those who practice it (rather than just preach it). Most people even who claim to be religious don't necessarily know that much about their religion of choice, and I think that is a major problem in the modern world. People are groomed to believe a certain set of principles from an early age, and are not encouraged to seek the answers for themselves (which religious institutions did for the longest time).kev_stevens67

I've heard that before - about the vote thing. My apologies, but I am a little confused how that could cause someone to leave their faith because of that. I would hope they sit down and think for themselves though. I'm sure it's just me though. I just don't understand how, because of a vote, I am closer to leaving Christianity. Perhaps I misunderstood you

I was just saying that maybe when people start to see half truths they were told are lies, they may be turned off by their relgion.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#199 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

Here in the Bible Belt, a lot of familes raise their children to be religious. My entire family is religious, teens included. They are very religious in fact; If they don't have god then they have nothing.

kev_stevens67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 kev_stevens67

[QUOTE="kev_stevens67"]

[QUOTE="CaveJohnson1"]I just had a thought, maybe religion is kinda like soft drugs in a sense.

CaveJohnson1

I've heard that before - about the vote thing. My apologies, but I am a little confused how that could cause someone to leave their faith because of that. I would hope they sit down and think for themselves though. I'm sure it's just me though. I just don't understand how, because of a vote, I am closer to leaving Christianity. Perhaps I misunderstood you

I was just saying that maybe when people start to see half truths they were told are lies, they may be turned off by their relgion.

I can agree that hopefully it will cause them to study more, both religion and other areas to get a better understanding of everything. I'm all for educating yourself, whether your religious or not. Education is a great thing IMO.