Why today's kids look down upon religion ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I notice most of todays kids ( Teenagers )avoid being religious and are atheist. They beleive in studying / working hard , enjoying party , live life kingsize than being religious. They'd rather follow a Rock / Metal group than follow a religion.

Religion is foundation of ones culture and ethics . Religion saves a person from doing wrong things as Sex , doing Drugs ETC kind of sins. Being Religious brings peace of mind .

Something is really wrong with today's kids . I blame Advancement of Technology and Fast Life ( Always running after Money & Pleasure ) .

Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

Because we find the idea of some amighty dude judging our actions a little far-fetched.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

I notice most of todays kids ( Teenagers )avoid being religious and are atheist. They beleive in studying / working hard , enjoying party , live life kingsize than being religious. They'd rather follow a Rock / Metal group than follow a religion.

Religion is foundation of ones culture and ethics . Religion saves a person from doingwrong things asSex , doing Drugs ETC kind of sins. Being Religious brings peace of mind .

Something is really wrong with today's kids .

indzman

Not sure if serious...

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

They aren't all down on it. The ones that are just tend to be the most vocal about their view these days.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

Religion is foundation of ones culture and ethics . Religion saves a person from doingwrong things asSex , doing Drugs ETC kind of sins. Being Religious brings peace of mind .

indzman

Umm.. no?

I'm agnostic and I haven't done any of those things.... your arguement is ridiculous and unfounded..

Edit: As for the piece of mind thing:

I've been much more at piece with myself, and the world ever since I left Christianity, and I find that most people that do follow the religion use it as a crutch.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
Because.... like... being all churchy is like... boring man. You got to expand your mind and ..... like... enjoy the ether of life.
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
That's a pretty big generalization that you are saying in the OP. Not all atheist kids party and have wild and random sex. I've seen religious people do a lot worse than atheists.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
because kids are dumb and think they know everything
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

because kids are dumb and think they know everythingmems_1224
Truth.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Numero uno: I have morals and ethics, I didn't get those from religion. Numero dos: Really? Who are you to tell others what is wrong or right, or assume that those who follow religions aren't doing drugs or having premarital sex or other kinds of 'sins', or that those who don't follow them are? Religion doesn't stop people from having sex or doing drugs or 'sinning'. Open your eyes a bit and you'll see that. You know why I don't follow a religion? Because there are people like yourself who assume that religion makes them better than others, and that what they are doing is right and what everyone else is doing is wrong and can't tolerate other people's lifestyles. I don't EVER want to be grouped with people who put themselves on such a pedestal despite never having actually done something of great worth, they simply like to preach what is right and wrong to others and feel that it makes them superior. What about that "Only God can judge" thing, or did you conveniently forget about that?
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts
religion doesn't have a monopoly on morals and ethics
Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sunsha
Member since 2005 • 20662 Posts
I had no idea I was a child at 27. This is fantastic news!
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jerk-o-tron2000

Something is really wrong with today's kids . I blame Advancement of Technology and Fast Life ( Always running after Money & Pleasure ) .

indzman

Really? Isn't that going agains the human nature of ambition?

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Mostly because they are exposed to so much much negativity from the internet I dont know?

jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jerk-o-tron2000

I see your point. Thank goodness for religion for preventing people from blowing themselves up and crashing planes into buildings.

-Sun_Tzu-

Too soon, Tony, too soon.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
I had no idea I was a child at 27. This is fantastic news!Sunsha
Just at heart ^.^
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fueled-system

I see your point. Thank goodness for religion for preventing people from blowing themselves up and crashing planes into buildings. -Sun_Tzu-
oh come on now.... thats just a radical view of a religion...

Thats like saying their religion advocates the killing of innocent people...

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
I see your point. Thank goodness for religion for preventing people from blowing themselves up and crashing planes into buildings. -Sun_Tzu-
inb4 "your point is invalid because Islam is a cult"
LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
That's a pretty big generalization that you are saying in the OP. Not all atheist kids party and have wild and random sex. I've seen religious people do a lot worse than atheists.ExoticAnimal
The religious schools in a wide area around me have a terrible rep for drug abuse and other shady activities. Religious kids are just as prone to do something stupid as an atheist kid.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Because kids are stupid.

KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

indzman

So what if people don't want to follow a religion, it's not a law that you have to. Teenagers have minds of their own and can choose what they want to believe in and not all atheists enjoy partying and "living kingsize".

Whats wrong with Rock and Metal? If I'm not mistaken there are Rock and Metal religious bands too.

You don't need to have religion to learn about culture or ethics, well atleast I didn't. There are just as many religious people doing drugs and having sex and other "wrong" things as non-religious people.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chaoscougar1
Woah, that was a little unnecessary. A few extremists =/= entire religion :?
Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sunsha
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I see your point. Thank goodness for religion for preventing people from blowing themselves up and crashing planes into buildings. chaoscougar1

I think you may have missed the point. :-p
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I see your point. Thank goodness for religion for preventing people from blowing themselves up and crashing planes into buildings. Sunsha

I think you may have missed the point. :-p

*Waits for Sun to shed some light on the situation* zing
Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sunsha
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]*Waits for Sun to shed some light on the situation* zing

I'll leave it to the other one if they wish to bother with it.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I see your point. Thank goodness for religion for preventing people from blowing themselves up and crashing planes into buildings. fueled-system

Obviously to them it does. When you introduce God into the equation, anything and everything becomes permissible - all you need is to think you have the A-OK from the big guy in the sky, and in your mind you believe that you have an obligation from the divine to commit barbaric acts of violence.
dnafactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dnafactory
Member since 2011 • 231 Posts

What's a religion? Never heard of it.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

I don't look down on it. I'm actually quite interested in religion, I just don't happen to be religious myself.

I won't even bother addressing the other parts of your post, as they don't really deserve a response.

Digital_DJ_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 Digital_DJ_00
Member since 2005 • 1460 Posts

[QUOTE="indzman"]

imaps3fanboy

Umm.. no?

I'm agnostic and I haven't done any of those things.... your arguement is ridiculous and unfounded..

I've been much more at piece with myself, and the world ever since I left Christianity, and I find that most people that do follow the religion use it as a crutch.

BINGO!!! DING DING DING! You sir, are preaching to the choire, and earn the award of "best comment of the year" on Gamespot.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

indzman

I would tell you about how I still believe in God, but I can't take my focus off of how much wrong you just said that I can't bring myself to do so.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]

Digital_DJ_00

Umm.. no?

BINGO!!! DING DING DING! You sir, are preaching to the choire, and earn the award of "best comment of the year" on Gamespot.

yay, do I get a car?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

ah never mind my last comment. TC hasn't seen fit to respond to anything yet said in the thread he created.

I believe he just threw one of these into OT and watched for amusement.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I see your point. Thank goodness for religion for preventing people from blowing themselves up and crashing planes into buildings. chaoscougar1

That's not what I said at all. I was only responding to the claim made in the OP that religion saves a person from doing wrong things. Obviously that's not always the case.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I see your point. Thank goodness for religion for preventing people from blowing themselves up and crashing planes into buildings. -Sun_Tzu-

Obviously to them it does. When you introduce God into the equation, anything and everything becomes permissible - all you need is to think you have the A-OK from the big guy in the sky, and in your mind you believe that you have an obligation from the divine to commit barbaric acts of violence.

You talk as if violence would not exist if it weren't for religion :? Definitely, religious wars have cost a lot of lives, but I still think the human race would find something to kill eachother over. It isn't like religion is the sole cause of all suffering in the world.

Also, these people you are talking about are currently in the minority. Granted a thousand years ago, they probably weren't, but we didn't really know better. Islam is the second largest religion in the world today, over 1 billion members. The great majority are not extremists, I know a few personally who are absolutely lovely people. Most of these people who use God as a reason to commit acts of violence are extremists who are clearly not of sane mind (most are poorly educated)

Once again, sorry if I misunderstood your post, that was what I gathered from it and thats all I can respond to

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I see your point. Thank goodness for religion for preventing people from blowing themselves up and crashing planes into buildings. -Sun_Tzu-

That's not what I said at all. I was only responding to the claim made in the OP that religion saves a person from doing wrong things. Obviously that's not always the case.

Fair enough, I misunderstood, apologies :)
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts
Religion saves a person from doingwrong things asSex indzman
wat
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

There's nothing wrong with religion nor is there anything wrong with not believing it.

And there certainly isn't anything wrong with partying or advancement of technology or sex.

Then again you could just be screwing around and wanting reactions from OT (certainly wouldn't be surprising considering the OP), in which case this whole post was a waste, but oh well.

KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

[QUOTE="indzman"]Religion saves a person from doingwrong things asSex T_P_O
wat

Sex is wrong.

Unless you do it right.

Digital_DJ_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#40 Digital_DJ_00
Member since 2005 • 1460 Posts

[QUOTE="Digital_DJ_00"]

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

Umm.. no?

imaps3fanboy

yay, do I get a car?

You wish.... lol. But for what it's worth, you earned major respect and brownie points from me.:D

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 fueled-system

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I see your point. Thank goodness for religion for preventing people from blowing themselves up and crashing planes into buildings. -Sun_Tzu-

and there are radical atheist to you are generalizing religion

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

[QUOTE="Digital_DJ_00"]

Digital_DJ_00

yay, do I get a car?

You wish.... lol. But for what it's worth, you earned major respect and brownie points from me.:D

At least a cookie?

Zorgax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zorgax
Member since 2011 • 384 Posts

or in other words, its just teenagers being teenagers. religion has never been that big with teenagers, even the ones who claim to be religious do reckless things.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Religion is base of a human being . Without religion there is no existence of a persons identity.Religion teaches us whats wright and whats wrong . You can't deny the principles of Christianity , Islam , Hinduism , Budhism ETC . When you get old , you'll realiseTruthand peace is in following your religion , worshipping your god and doing good for mankind than serving own purpose .

Religion always saved Humanity in the end . Many found peace and salvation from following a religion .

P.S -

Some High Power people sure take advantage of Religion for thier own sinister purpose . That dosen't brand Religion as EVIL . Honour Killings in name of Religion i don't approve .

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

Because we find the idea of some amighty dude judging our actions a little far-fetched.

jerk-o-tron2000

Im going to be 40 in a few months so its not just young kids. I use to be a christian. Read the whole bible,went to church,prayed every night,yadayadayada..

in my older days now i have opened up my mind to other things...matter of fact...ANYTHING is possible. I dont knock christianity or other religions but I dont want people cramming it down my brain either. Ive been there seen it done it...I think SOMETHING is out there. I think we live, we die, and even maybe live as spirits in an alternate world..Heck I dont know..

Funny thing is when you tell people you dont believe in GOD or Jesus,ect they look at you like you have aids. Like you just grew 2 heads. Its funny how you are looked at as normal to believe in spiritual beings but if you believe in aliens,bigfoot,ghosts you are looked at as a freak..lol..THEY arent real...BUT our god and jesus we've never seen are and ok to believe in..hahaha..

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
Member since 2004 • 14645 Posts

fueled-system

Sure, but there's a difference between radical atheism and radical theism

One acts snarky all the time and the other blows up buildings.

Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sunsha

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

jaydough

Sure, but there's a difference between radical atheism and radical theism

One acts snarky all the time and the other blows up buildings.

Blowing up buildings is not good?
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 chaoscougar1

Religion is base of a human being . Without religion there is no existence of a persons identity.Religion teaches us whats wright and whats wrong . You can't deny the principles of Christianity , Islam , Hinduism , Budhism ETC . When you get old , you'll realiseTruthand peace is in following your religion , worshipping your god and doing good for mankind than serving own purpose .

Religion always saved Humanity in the end . Many found peace and salvation from following a religion .

P.S -

Some High Power people sure take advantage of Religion for thier own sinister purpose . That dosen't brand Religion as EVIL . Honour Killings in name of Religion i don't approve .

indzman
Ugh, thats is not the best argument for religion :? (That was the nicest way I could put that) You wonder if other forms of life on other galaxies have religion though...as a completely random point
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -Sun_Tzu-

You talk as if violence would not exist if it weren't for religion :? Definitely, religious wars have cost a lot of lives, but I still think the human race would find something to kill eachother over. It isn't like religion is the sole cause of all suffering in the world. Also, these people you are talking about are currently in the minority. Granted a thousand years ago, they probably weren't, but we didn't really know better. Islam is the second largest religion in the world today, over 1 billion members. The great majority are not extremists, I know a few personally who are absolutely lovely people.chaoscougar1

I'm not naive. Religion isn't the only thing in the world that influences violence. But it can be an influence. And I don't think it's inaccurate to say that the anatomy of religious thought - i.e. the dogmatic adherence to a certain belief system, is one of the main reasons for why mankind resorts to violence.

Also:

Most of these people who use God as a reason to commit acts of violence are extremists who are clearly not of sane mind (most are poorly educated)chaoscougar1

That's actually not true. Many of the 9/11 hijackers were college educated. The Fort Hood shooter was a psychologist. The Christmas day bomber attended the University of London. The acting leader of Al Qaeda is a certified doctor. Most of the people I'm talking about come from wealthy backgrounds and are pretty well educated.