Why today's kids look down upon religion ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

It isn't presented in a way that interests the youth.

xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#252 xsynth
Member since 2010 • 864 Posts

James161324
Maybe the pope should use a twitter account if they want them to follow Christianity ha!
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#253 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Way to not generalize
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Because religion is dying. There are less followers each generation, hardly anyone is religious over here.

l-lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 l-lord
Member since 2009 • 853 Posts

Because religion is dying. There are less followers each generation, hardly anyone is religious over here.

Sagem28

That's good news

DarkerGemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 DarkerGemini
Member since 2009 • 236 Posts

[QUOTE="James161324"]

xsynth

Maybe the pope should use a twitter account if they want them to follow Christianity ha!

The Pope has actually started using Twitter! And he is Catholic ;)

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

[QUOTE="Jeanp34"]

but I'm pretty sure there's something after, otherwise, what would be the point of living ?

xsynth

That's one thing that gets me. Why does there have to be a point of living? To me, people only feel the need for there to be a "point" to being on this planet because we are capable of thought and seems to need a reason for everything. I myself am quite content to just being alive and am quite happy to do the things I want, without trying to figure out the 'point' of being here.

Pretty much. We're all going to die anyway. Which is why I prefer to just focus on actually being alive, rather than trying to figure out the whys

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#258 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Maybe people are turning away from religion because it's outmoded and no longer relevant to modern society. One need only peruse Leviticus and it's laughable list of rules to confirm this. And what's more, saying that one cannot posess a moral compas without religion is extraordinarily insulting, and reveals the insular worldview of the faithful. Finally, the last time I checked, religion didn't "save" anyone from doing wrong things, it just makes people feel bad about being human.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#259 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
scientific innovators throughout history have often been religious at least to a degree, but what did their particular faiths contribute to the rigorous process of trial and error, documentation, and calculation in their discoveries?Mordred19
The motivation to seek the answers. Religious inclination isn't limited to metaphysical questions... it is the human drive to seek what it does not know and understand. Religion describes an answer that the human mind isn't supposed to "comprehend."
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#260 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I think the reason that less kids are into religion these days, is because they are allowed to be less into it. Years ago, that wasnt an option. You were forced by your parents and others to be a certain sect. Now, people are given more choices. I don't think kids are somehow smarter than they were 50 years ago as many of you are alluding to.

DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
I dislike aspects of religion such as 'hell' because they make people afraid. Religious people are mainly god-fearing and afraid of death. Why can't people have there own opinions, if someone is atheist or agnostic I have no problem with that, and even though I'm Hindu I will not preach to them about my faith or any other because in the end its THEIR CHOICE. Just because you are religious and other people aren't, it doesn't mean that there is 'something wrong with them'. Thats what the church thought when Galileo said the earth was a sphere instead of a flat surface, and they prosecuted him because of this, but what do you know, HE WAS RIGHT AND THE CHURCH WAS WRONG. Religion isn't always right.
jak275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 jak275
Member since 2007 • 431 Posts
Vocal minority. Also, if you were right, youth groups wouldn't exist now would they?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#263 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
Member since 2004 • 14645 Posts

Sagem28

Unfortunately, where I live, it's percieved as "in" to be atheist, so everyone is trying to be as christian as possible to not conform.

I hate this place.

Egonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#264 Egonga
Member since 2002 • 18205 Posts

I have to look down at religion as my local pastor is only 5ft 2.

Clydefrog92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Clydefrog92
Member since 2008 • 173 Posts
there religion is "universal love" now apparently. (atleast it says that on tween girls facebook profiles) funny how the **** are always promoting universal love..
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Makes sense. I just find it hard for someone to claim that science has done more good for the world than religion... I can understand why one would say that, but it seems impossible to prove, let alone argue about...battlefront23

Look at the every modern conveniences that you use in your day to day life. Modern medicine, computers, automobiles, textiles, plastics, sanitation, agriculture, etc. Now take a look at the period before the modern day scientific method was adopted...the rate of progress was almost at a halt in many eras.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that science produces far more results. The proof is in the pudding.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

... 'cause they teach us properly now?

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

I find that more people are agnostic, not necessarily atheist. They don't want to follow organized religion but still have some kind of belief in a higher power or something.

And I have a conscience. I don't need a 2,000 year old book of fairy-tales to tell me what's right and wrong and what to believe.

I have no problem with people who follow an organized religion. But what I hate is when those people believe that agnostic people or atheist somehow have no morals because they don't follow a religion. That's completely ridiculous.

FUloin33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 FUloin33
Member since 2011 • 477 Posts

When we're dead. we're dead. buried. wormchow.

and i have better things to do than to read some book of hooplah telling me what to do.

well, thats the way i see it.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#270 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

When we're dead. we're dead. buried. wormchow.

and i have better things to do than to read some book of hooplah telling me what to do.

well, thats the way i see it.

FUloin33

I pretty much agree..ALTHOUGH im open to some things like spiritual after life, or maybe reborn in to something else? I mean you never know..SO I try and keep an open mind. BUT as far as christianity goes I dont go for that any longer because Ive been there done it and moved on..

BUT keep in mind I believe in UFOs,bigfoot,loch ness monster,ghosts,ect..so im pretty open to things in general..

Clydefrog92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 Clydefrog92

... 'cause they teach us properly now?

psn8214
Actually studies show kids are less intelligent nowadays.
Clydefrog92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Clydefrog92
Because we are moving into a dark moraless society where no one cares for one another and we become more distant throguh technology. where statistics rule and the human spirit is gone.. cold
Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts

I notice most of todays kids ( Teenagers )avoid being religious and are atheist. They beleive in studying / working hard , enjoying party , live life kingsize than being religious. They'd rather follow a Rock / Metal group than follow a religion.

Religion is foundation of ones culture and ethics . Religion saves a person from doing wrong things as Sex , doing Drugs ETC kind of sins. Being Religious brings peace of mind .

Something is really wrong with today's kids . I blame Advancement of Technology and Fast Life ( Always running after Money & Pleasure ) .

indzman
We see the truth and won't be ruled my manipulative control forces. Although, The Government is doing a pretty good job of that.........
Avatar image for PsychoRedFox666
PsychoRedFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 PsychoRedFox666
Member since 2007 • 2081 Posts

A lot of people are Hedonistic these days.

AikidoShin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 AikidoShin
Member since 2003 • 28 Posts

I notice most of todays kids ( Teenagers )avoid being religious and are atheist. They beleive in studying / working hard , enjoying party , live life kingsize than being religious. They'd rather follow a Rock / Metal group than follow a religion.

Religion is foundation of ones culture and ethics . Religion saves a person from doing wrong things as Sex , doing Drugs ETC kind of sins. Being Religious brings peace of mind .

Something is really wrong with today's kids . I blame Advancement of Technology and Fast Life ( Always running after Money & Pleasure ) .

indzman

This is my viewpoint:

1. They see many religions out there & become confused.

2. They never read the bible.

3. Evolution contradicts certain religions.

4. With so many books out there they don't believe it to be the Word of God since they're different.

5. They assume because man made the bibles, it is not God's Word so some consider the words not real, somehow they forget completely about thousands of manuscripts.

6. Society's influence.

7. Something in their lifetime happens, they blame God for it.

8. Some would rather not follow the rules of the bible.

9. They believe all wars start because of religion.

10. They look at the negative things that are done in the churches on t.v./news rather than the good. (i done this before :D')

11. They tie all religions together to say its corrupt & give up.

12. They don't believe in Judgement, Heaven & Hell, having a soul, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#276 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
Member since 2004 • 14645 Posts

A lot of people are Hedonistic these days.

PsychoRedFox666

What's more hedonistic than eternal bliss?

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#277 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

[QUOTE="indzman"]

AikidoShin

This is my viewpoint:

4. With so many books out there they don't believe it to be the Word of God since they're different.

5. They assume because man made the bibles, it is not God's Word so some consider the words not real, somehow they forget completely about thousands of manuscripts.

6. Society's influence.

10. They look at the negative things that are done in the churches on t.v./news rather than the good. (i done this before :D')

Yes all this but the most important reason you missed.

13. It's unrealistic, it sounds made up, and has been used as a way to manipulate people since it's conception. Also nothing has happened to prove religion to be the answer.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#278 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

[QUOTE="AikidoShin"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]

deangallop

This is my viewpoint:

6. Society's influence.

13. It's unrealistic, it sounds made up, and has been used as a way to manipulate people since it's conception. Also nothing has happened to prove religion to be the answer.

Definitely 13, The other 12 are worded in a way that it sounds as if those who do not beleive in religion or God are somehow ignorant or misguided (not sure if that was the intention) Rather then people being more critically minded, Free to oppose religious institutions and not seeing the evidence or logic in something like religion.

AikidoShin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 AikidoShin
Member since 2003 • 28 Posts

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

[QUOTE="AikidoShin"]

This is my viewpoint:

6. Society's influence.

mattisgod01

Definitely 13, The other 12 are worded in a way that it sounds as if those who do not beleive in religion or God are somehow ignorant or misguided (not sure if that was the intention) Rather then people being more critically minded, Free to oppose religious institutions and not seeing the evidence or logic in something like religion.

I make a simple list stating my own opinion & you make it sound as if i'm demoralizing people. It was "JUST" an opinion LOL. Trust me if i wanted to do that with my beliefs it can be done ò_ó (my very serious face lol). Although..i'd rather not get banned..yeahhh..

If i offended you then i apologize, do people apologize over the internet? Well i said it.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#280 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

AikidoShin

I make a simple list stating my own opinion & you make it sound as if i'm demoralizing people. It was "JUST" an opinion LOL. Trust me if i wanted to do that with my beliefs it can be done ò_ó (my very serious face lol). Although..i'd rather not get banned..yeahhh..

If i offended you then i apologize, do people apologize over the internet? Well i said it.

I wasn't knocking the list, i agree with most of it. As i stated, i wasn't sure if it was intentional or not. The Average Atheist who makes a top 12 list would put #13 at #1 as the reason why alot of people don't beleive in God or Religion. I wasn't sure if that was an unintentional oversight on your part or an unwillingness to point out the fact that religion is illogical in many peoples minds. If it was unintentional then that is fine and no reason to apologise for that.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#281 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
*reads post* hmm *looks at avatar* tro- *sees post count* :\ I'm confused.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="Aspen706"]

Because it is all just fairy tale, and kids are picking up on that and wanting to make their own decisions instead of being brainwashed.

imaps3fanboy

Brainwashed?... oh brother..... Claiming that it's "all just a fairy tale" is a huge bold claim that certainly needs evidence.

Coming from someone who grew up in Churches and private religious schools, brainwashing is the correct term. I was hardly ever taught about evolution, or of other religions, and christianity was a focal point in any academic subject.

That's not objective evidence that your describing, it's subjective evidence.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

[QUOTE="alexside1"] Brainwashed?... oh brother..... Claiming that it's "all just a fairy tale" is a huge bold claim that certainly needs evidence.alexside1

Coming from someone who grew up in Churches and private religious schools, brainwashing is the correct term. I was hardly ever taught about evolution, or of other religions, and christianity was a focal point in any academic subject.

..? Elaborate
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 alexside1

[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

imaps3fanboy

..? Elaborate

Personal experiences isn't objective.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="alexside1"] That's not objective evidence that your describing, it's subjective evidence.alexside1

..? Elaborate

And what does that have to with anything? :D
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 alexside1
[QUOTE="alexside1"]

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"] ..? Elaborateimaps3fanboy

Are you being difficult on me on purpose?
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="alexside1"] Personal experiences isn't objective.

alexside1

No, I just don't see what your problem is.

Just because an arguement is subjective means it's totally debased?

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 alexside1

[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"] And what does that have to with anything? :Dimaps3fanboy

........ Do you know the difference between subjective and objective? If you know so, than that's what I meant.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 imaps3fanboy
[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

[QUOTE="alexside1"] Are you being difficult on me on purpose?alexside1

........ Do you know the difference between subjective and objective? If you know so, than that's what I meant.

Yes, one is fact based, and one is opinion based. I'm really confused. What point are you trying to make?
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 alexside1

[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

imaps3fanboy

Yes, one is fact based, and one is opinion based. I'm really confused. What point are you trying to make?

How about we end our conversation here, because I'm not in mood for lectures. k?

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="alexside1"] ........ Do you know the difference between subjective and objective? If you know so, than that's what I meant.alexside1

How about we end our conversation here, because I'm not in mood for lectures. k?

Okay, just go along with your pretentious self
CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
Cuz Ronald Mcdonald.
ROFLCOPTER603

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 ROFLCOPTER603
Member since 2010 • 2140 Posts

Because the times they are a changin'

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#294 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
"Without God, all things are permissible" Never rings truer today.
LegendRyder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 LegendRyder
Member since 2008 • 656 Posts
Being a teenager, and an atheist, I couldn't find TC's original post any more disgusting. I haven't been reading all 15 pages, so I'm not responding to that. Sure, religion encourages certain things that are ethical, but too imply that without religion we have no ethics couldn't be further from the truth. People do what they want (referring to partying, etc.) believing that god exists will not change that. Your claims are far too much of a generalization. Many of my friends are religious, and I respect that. However, of those religious ones, many of them do the 'unethical' things you described. In addition, I have refrained from most of those things. Does that mean all religious people have sex, party, and do 'terrible' things, and that all atheists are perfect people? Absolutely not. I have my reasons for choosing not to be religious, and not believing god, but in my opinion, that doesn't change me much as a person. My non-belief hardly makes any impact on my day-to-day decisions.
TheStarM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 TheStarM4n
Member since 2010 • 301 Posts
Because.... like... being all churchy is like... boring man. You got to expand your mind and ..... like... enjoy the ether of life.cd_rom
I find life much more enjoyable when I follow God's commands then "enjoying the ether of life"
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

[QUOTE="cd_rom"]Because.... like... being all churchy is like... boring man. You got to expand your mind and ..... like... enjoy the ether of life.TheStarM4n
I find life much more enjoyable when I follow God's commands then "enjoying the ether of life"

That is your choice and that fine. I lived by "gods" word at one time. BUT now im glad I live by my words. I cant imagine worshiping someone like that anymore. Especially someone I dont know even lived..Just feels so free to actually live life your way..AGAIN no harm bro, just a friendly comment..

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#298 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
athiesm was frowned upon in the early days, now it's not. And they're vocal about it.
TonyDanzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 TonyDanzig
Member since 2011 • 77 Posts
religions thrive on controlling thought and influences. In an age where a child can read whatever they want online.... they likely arent going to believe in santa or religion.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

religion is based upon ignorance, with the flow of information there is today where a five year old can access it, its normal they realize what kind of illogical nonsense religion is.