Why are concerts so popular?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LittleHands134
Member since 2008 • 1176 Posts

I really don't understand it. I've only been to one concert and that was about three years ago, but it was hell on earth. I see no intelligent reason why anyone would want to go, even if they are a fan of the music.

1. The bands never sound as good live, especially rock bands.

2. There's normally rude, horrible smelling people filling the seats, and they're always very loud.

3. It's hard to enjoy the music when there's people screaming right next to you.

4. You get a generally better sound quality from listening to the music at home.

5. Concerts cost more than two CDs would, and you get more songs from two CDs, at a better sound quality.

There's my five main reasons. It just doesn't make sense for someone to waste their time and money on going to a concert. Why do people do it?

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
I think it's awesome when a band you like is playing a song you love and you and everyone in the crowd are singing at the top of their lungs. It's good old fashioned fun, plus there are tons of beautiful girls at concerts. I'll agree that they are expensive, but most bands make more money off of concerts than they do off of record sales, so it's understandable. Although, I think that if there is such thing as a Hell, it would closely resemble a violent, sweaty mosh.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
I can't argue with those reasons because that's why I don't go often either.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts

I really don't understand it. I've only been to one concert and that was about three years ago, but it was hell on earth. I see no intelligent reason why anyone would want to go, even if they are a fan of the music.

2. There's normally rude, horrible smelling people filling the seats, and they're always very loud.

3. It's hard to enjoy the music when there's people screaming right next to you.

4. You get a generally better sound quality from listening to the music at home.

5. Concerts cost more than two CDs would, and you get more songs from two CDs, at a better sound quality.

There's my five main reasons. It just doesn't make sense for someone to waste their time and money on going to a concert. Why do people do it?

LittleHands134

1. You are listening to the wrong bands then. I've heard bands that sound great live.

2. I guess it depends on the fan base. I haven't noticed that.

3. Are you kidding? The music is loud. You need to get into the music.

4. You get polished sound...not better. Real music shouldn't be studio fixed.

5. The experience is different. Nothing like seeing a band you enjoy live. Provided they are good live.. What bands have you seen that aren't able to play live?

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LittleHands134
I think it's awesome when a band you like is playing a song you love and you and everyone in the crowd are singing at the top of their lungs. Boba_Fett_3710
Most people can't sing well though. Doesn't it ruin the quality of the song for you?
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
It's all about the energy and intensity (at least with rock music).
jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#7 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts
I agree with OP. I've no desire to see a concert. They mess with the music too much and all the rudeness of people. Who can be bothered?
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts

Its the only thing I enjoy doing out of the house. They're what I consider "fun"

The concerts I go to are at small clubs, not giant stadiums btw.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts
I agree with LJ on this one, Bands live are great, and if you think not. your obviously listening to the wrong bands!
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LittleHands134
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

1. You are listening to the wrong bands then. I've heard bands that sound great live.

5. The experience is different. Nothing like seeing a band you enjoy live. Provided they are good live.. What bands have you seen that aren't able to play live?

1. The only music I've ever heard that sounded good live were slower folk songs in a small club. As for the rock music, most of it seemed too loud, they forgot some of the words which bothered me, and the instrument/voices sounded a little off at times. 2. Maybe not the first thing, but aren't most concert regulars pretty loud? My perfect concert would be every sitting quietly and enjoying the music. I guess it's too much for people to not act like apes when they're in a large group though. 3. It's loud and offensive. I can hear every word of a song when I listen to it in my ipod or on the computer, but at a concert, I wouldn't be able to make it all out because there would be some loud man next to me singing along with the song. 4. I like polished, it doesn't hurt my ears. 5. Most of the time you can't see them though. Unless you have the best seats in the house, they aren't really that visible, and you still never get to meet them in person. If I really enjoyed a band, I would look for a biography book about the lead singer's life.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

1. The only music I've ever heard that sounded good live were slower folk songs in a small club. As for the rock music, most of it seemed too loud, they forgot some of the words which bothered me, and the instrument/voices sounded a little off at times. 2. Maybe not the first thing, but aren't most concert regulars pretty loud? My perfect concert would be every sitting quietly and enjoying the music. I guess it's too much for people to not act like apes when they're in a large group though. 3. It's loud and offensive. I can hear every word of a song when I listen to it in my ipod or on the computer, but at a concert, I wouldn't be able to make it all out because there would be some loud man next to me singing along with the song. 4. I like polished, it doesn't hurt my ears. 5. Most of the time you can't see them though. Unless you have the best seats in the house, they aren't really that visible, and you still never get to meet them in person. If I really enjoyed a band, I would look for a biography book about the lead singer's life.

you obviously dont like music.
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LittleHands134
you obviously dont like music. sAndroid17
I like music, I just don't care about who's singing it.
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]I think it's awesome when a band you like is playing a song you love and you and everyone in the crowd are singing at the top of their lungs. LittleHands134
Most people can't sing well though. Doesn't it ruin the quality of the song for you?

Not really, can only hear the singer through the speakers but you can literally feel the vocal vibrations all around you. That alone is a pretty intense experience.
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LittleHands134

Here's some good live music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cpX1ZjuaiA

I don't know of any band that can perform in this same "better than CD" quality, especially if they were in a large concert area.

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 skullkrusher13
Question: What do you like to do for fun Littlehands?
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

Here's some good live music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cpX1ZjuaiA

I don't know of any band that can perform in this same "better than CD" quality, especially if they were in a large concert area.

that was hardly an arena, and cat stevens is not very hard to do live. and acoustic guitar and voice simple. there is a million bands that play better live!
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="sAndroid17"] you obviously dont like music. LittleHands134

no favourite singer/or band?
spidermonkey11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 spidermonkey11
Member since 2007 • 1716 Posts
Different bands, different crowds, and completely different atmosphere! It also depends on where you are at in the venue/crowd. Right now I am probably upwards of $300-$400 or one of my fingers to see Mono (japanese post-rock band) live. They came to my town twice 6 months after I heard about them and really got into their music. Hopefully they will be coming close to my area sometime next year. Anyways
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LittleHands134
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="sAndroid17"] you obviously dont like music. sAndroid17

no favourite singer/?

Nope, I normally just do an auto-mix of songs on Napster and listen to whatever comes up while I do work/play video games. Never really bother to see who's singing it.
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LittleHands134
Question: What do you like to do for fun Littlehands?skullkrusher13
Reading is pretty fun.
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 skullkrusher13
Answer my question, I want to know your definition of "fun" Littlehands.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="sAndroid17"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"] I like music, I just don't care about who's singing it.LittleHands134
no favourite singer/?

Nope, I normally just do an auto-mix of songs on Napster and listen to whatever comes up while I do work/play video games. Never really bother to see who's singing it.

wrlyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wrlyy
Member since 2006 • 7632 Posts
Answer my question, I want to know your definition of "fun" Littlehands.skullkrusher13
A nice game of chess. No talking though, things may get a little rowdy.
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LittleHands134
Answer my question, I want to know your definition of "fun" Littlehands.skullkrusher13
I already did. Reading is fun, video games are fun, hanging out at a small club that plays folk music is fun, getting my ears violated by a large speaker isn't really too fun though.
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts
Not sure what to say. Whether it was a jazz club or metal concert none of those things were apparent to me. I see 'studio quality' as an oxymoron anyway.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]Answer my question, I want to know your definition of "fun" Littlehands.wrlyy
A nice game of chess. No talking though, things may get a little rowdy.

WOAH! settle down! :P
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LittleHands134
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="sAndroid17"]no favourite singer/?sAndroid17

I see a difference between music and the people playing the music. I enjoy music, I just don't idolize music artists. Why should I? Most of them are crack fiends.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="sAndroid17"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"] Nope, I normally just do an auto-mix of songs on Napster and listen to whatever comes up while I do work/play video games. Never really bother to see who's singing it.LittleHands134

I see a difference between music and the people playing the music. I enjoy music, I just don't idolize music artists. Why should I? Most of them are crack fiends.

:lol: haha ok then.
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 skullkrusher13

[QUOTE="sAndroid17"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"] Nope, I normally just do an auto-mix of songs on Napster and listen to whatever comes up while I do work/play video games. Never really bother to see who's singing it.LittleHands134

:roll:

I don't idolize musicians, I enjoy the music they play, simple. Anyone who listens to music because of the image is kidding themselves. I don't care if the bands I like are religious or drug addicts, I care about them entertaining me with their artistry.

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LittleHands134

[QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="sAndroid17"]you obviously dont like music.skullkrusher13

I don't idolize musicians, I enjoy the music they play, simple. Anyone who listens to music because of the image is kidding themselves. I don't care if the bands I like are religious or drug addicts, I care about them entertaining me with their artistry.

A lot of people do though. I'd imagine a good 70% of the people at most concerts idolize the band or person they're there to see. There's a reason those angsty teens threatened to kill themselves over the Chemical Romance banning or whatever emo band it was.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sAndroid17

[QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="sAndroid17"]you obviously dont like music.skullkrusher13

i guess i idolise some bands, mainly for technical ability. it makes me strive to be as good and better than them! is that good idilisation?? (lol is that even a word :P)
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skullkrusher13

You pulled that stat completely out of your ass Littlehands.

Bottom line is this is just opinions. You think reading is fun, I think its boring and incredibly tedious. You feel concerts are a waste of time, I think they are one of the only fun things to do outside of the house. Seeing my favorite bands perform live is awesome. And the thing is, I can even meet them if I want since the shows are generally small and the band's themselves are not egotistical asses since they play music as a hobby, not a profession.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"]I think it's awesome when a band you like is playing a song you love and you and everyone in the crowd are singing at the top of their lungs. LittleHands134

alot of the time i prefer to listen to live versions of songs, or albums. its got a raw feeling about it, its great. i.e Angra'w live album Holy Live is far superior i think than a lot of there cd stuff. the vocalist test his limits, the lead guitarist does crazier solos, the drummer is faster. etc, there is about 20 bands i listen to their live stuff more
_LiquidFlame_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 _LiquidFlame_
Member since 2007 • 13736 Posts
Because people like to listen to music?
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

You pulled that stat completely out of your ass.

Bottom line is this is just opinions. You think reading is fun, I think its boring and incredibly tedious. You feel concerts are a waste of time, I think they are one of the only fun things to do outside of the house. Seeing my favorite bands perform live is awesome. And the thing is, I can even meet them if I want since the shows are generally small and the band's themselves are not egotistical asses since they play music as a hobby, not a profession.

this. well said my friend :)
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

There are bands that perform great live. Muse and wolfmother's songs sound just as great live as on CD, and the red hot chili peppers actually have better live songs than they are on CD. Just watch some songs live at slane castle.

I think part of going to concerts is also actually seeing your idols, and sort of feeling the music. I prefer smaller concerts too by the way.

DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
It's cool to see a band you like in person. They're also fun.
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LittleHands134
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

That's why I said "I'd imagine", but if you really looked into it, the vast majority of music fans do. Especially for that situation with the Chemical Romance thing, several thousand teens threatened to kill themselves over that. That would make up a large amount of the concert, assuming they go to concerts on a regular basis. What bands do that? The only ones I could think of would be those trashy indie bands, any mainstream band would be near impossible to meet.
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 skullkrusher13
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

LittleHands134

That's why I said "I'd imagine", but if you really looked into it, the vast majority of music fans do. Especially for that situation with the Chemical Romance thing, several thousand teens threatened to kill themselves over that. That would make up a large amount of the concert, assuming they go to concerts on a regular basis. What bands do that? The only ones I could think of would be those trashy indie bands, any mainstream band would be near impossible to meet.

You proved my subtle point that mainstream music sucks. Every genre has talented underground bands that play music for a hobby. You just need to find them.

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LittleHands134
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

You proved my subtle point that mainstream music sucks. Every genre has talented underground bands that play music for a hobby. You just need to find them.

I'll agree that there's some talented indie bands, but the vast majority of them are pure trash. See any band that is mentioned in one of the QC comics. It's all terrible.
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 skullkrusher13
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"] That's why I said "I'd imagine", but if you really looked into it, the vast majority of music fans do. Especially for that situation with the Chemical Romance thing, several thousand teens threatened to kill themselves over that. That would make up a large amount of the concert, assuming they go to concerts on a regular basis. What bands do that? The only ones I could think of would be those trashy indie bands, any mainstream band would be near impossible to meet.LittleHands134

I'll agree that there's some talented indie bands, but the vast majority of them are pure trash. See any band that is mentioned in one of the QC comics. It's all terrible.

I'm not a fan of indie so I wouldn't know. If you enjoy rock I don't know what to tell you. The foundation of rock is similar, and the reason why a lot of it is mainstream is because it appeals to a broad audience. If a indie rock band has potential, they'll probably sell-out, become mainstream, etc. The money is tempting. I'm a metal fan, I have the solace knowing the bands I enjoy will never sell-out because they have a very targeted market and will always play music as a hobby.

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
If you don't like massive venues then go to smaller, intimate ones. Go to acoustic gigs or see an orchestra live because people don't tend to talk or scream at those things. Its quite a nice experience actually.
Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
I kinda agree with littlehands, but I've never been to a live concert so I guess I cant say for sure but I'm pretty claustrophobic and hate being around lots of other people, especially when they're all sweaty and screaming and jumping all over the place.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Not,true..For example.RoF sounds even better live.

Yea,but then again so are some people on the bus :P

Sometimes yea,but a lot of people also sing along with the song.

That's quite true..but its that experience of seeing your favorite band with your own eyes.

Back to point 4..Its the experience.Seeing your band live and my ticket for Dragonforce costed me 18euros.($23)

Its lots of fun.

LittleHands134

That's it for me.
tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
Me being a Metalhead, its only natural that I want to go see my favourite artist, the smell of weed and alcohol gives it some athmosphere and its fun getting rowdy and watching crazed fans getting their asses handed to them by security. I enjoy shows overall.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sAndroid17
Me being a Metalhead, its only natural that I want to go see my favourite artist, the smell of weed and alcohol gives it some athmosphere and its fun getting rowdy and watching crazed fans getting their asses handed to them by security. I enjoy shows overall.tzar3
sounds like the best time ever! :)
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

That's quite true..but its that experience of seeing your favorite band with your own eyes.

Back to point 4..Its the experience.Seeing your band live and my ticket for Dragonforce costed me 18euros.($23)

Its lots of fun.

Lto_thaG

That's it for me.

he doesnt have a favourite band :|
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts
[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

Its lots of fun.

sAndroid17

That's it for me.

he doesnt have a favourite band :|

So..than go for the people,the mood and the drinks :P
mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

maybe because they like giving all their money to the record labels

and being in hugh rowdy drunk people is not my idea of fun

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LittleHands134
Me being a Metalhead, its only natural that I want to go see my favourite artist, the smell of weed and alcohol gives it some athmosphere and its fun getting rowdy and watching crazed fans getting their asses handed to them by security. I enjoy shows overall.tzar3
That sounds unpleasant and somewhat dangerous.