Why are concerts so popular?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for thirteen_zombie
thirteen_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#151 thirteen_zombie
Member since 2007 • 624 Posts
80% of internet sites tell 25% truth. hey another one!
thirteen_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 thirteen_zombie
did you know that 75% of polls by the government only include about 34% of one cities population in them then generalized to a national number?
Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts
The experience of seeing the band play infront of you... and most decent bands are pretty good life producing a high sound quality.
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 LittleHands134
Member since 2008 • 1176 Posts
[QUOTE="thirteen_zombie"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

Also how would you know how many kids are doing heroin or not? you dont know that crowd apparently. thirteen_zombie

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/dcf/du.htm

Here's where I get most of my information.

so you get your information of some statistics on the interent that came from you dont know, not from personal experience? Did you know 89% of statistics are made up, and its that easy, see i just did it.

It's a Government site with sources. Personal experiences are only good for a small amount of people.
thirteen_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 thirteen_zombie
jright cause you could know more about something you've never tried in your life, and the community and people involved in it then someone who was there for years, because you read a goverment site. Believe what you hear and read in the new. You know where the government gets its statistics? from people who have experienced it because they dont. The government doesnt know as much about what happens in those situations as someone who has truely been there, it is impossible for the government to site a few people and call it the truth, cause they dont know either they take someone else's word for it, who has been there and experienced it. So that small amount of people who it affects would be whose telling your precious goverment source what goes down. You just shot yourself in the foot again, quit before you take a leg off.
SirFrosty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#156 SirFrosty
Member since 2006 • 610 Posts
Concerts are absolutely amazing. I disagree that bands sound worse live; Disturbed was at least twice as good live as on their cd's. I like the experience of sharing the music with the other people there, because no matter what kind of person they are, there's a sense of companionship because of the musical connection. The price of a concert is way worth it when you get to see the band live and in person; it's amazing. I love concerts, and I tend to go see Slipknot in February ^_^
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"] It's a Government site with sources. Personal experiences are only good for a small amount of people.

And, like I said, less than 1% of high schoolers are doing heroine. Most musicians do drugs that are far, far less habit forming and addictive.
stormtrooper32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 stormtrooper32
Member since 2004 • 2221 Posts
Concerts are amazing. Nothing else to argue about. Littlehands just go back into your hole, also wtf are you doing on the internet? Isn't it too scary for you?
C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
because they are a blast?
geodisicdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#160 geodisicdome
Member since 2005 • 13663 Posts
do you hate music?
MGSFan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 MGSFan92
Member since 2008 • 1525 Posts
Two, CD's, please, I went to the Madonna concert in Miami, and my tickets were like $600, so, that's like, many more CD's! She's expensive, but I love her.:P
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

I really don't understand it. I've only been to one concert and that was about three years ago, but it was hell on earth. I see no intelligent reason why anyone would want to go, even if they are a fan of the music.

1. The bands never sound as good live, especially rock bands.

2. There's normally rude, horrible smelling people filling the seats, and they're always very loud.

3. It's hard to enjoy the music when there's people screaming right next to you.

4. You get a generally better sound quality from listening to the music at home.

5. Concerts cost more than two CDs would, and you get more songs from two CDs, at a better sound quality.

There's my five main reasons. It just doesn't make sense for someone to waste their time and money on going to a concert. Why do people do it?

LittleHands134

I've always had this outlook also. Then again, my tinnitus means I can't go anyway.

Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts
I think I'm still ear-gasming from the Joe Satriani concert 3 months ago. But nobody I'm interested in is coming to town for a while :(
DabsTight703

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#164 DabsTight703
Member since 2008 • 1966 Posts
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"] Are you talking about a little gateway drug like pot? I really doubt any of your friends were heavily into heroin or meth, you can't just shrug that off. There's a reason that the success rate in rehabs are only about 50%.LittleHands134
You are correct about heroin, but musicians don't really do meth. Conversely, high school kids don't do heroin. Musicians and actors do.

I don't know about that, a lot of high school aged kids are doing heroin or cocaine.

Cocaine I can believe. Not many people shoot heroin around here. At least, in Springfield, VA.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

1. The only music I've ever heard that sounded good live were slower folk songs in a small club. As for the rock music, most of it seemed too loud, they forgot some of the words which bothered me, and the instrument/voices sounded a little off at times. 2. Maybe not the first thing, but aren't most concert regulars pretty loud? My perfect concert would be every sitting quietly and enjoying the music. I guess it's too much for people to not act like apes when they're in a large group though. 3. It's loud and offensive. I can hear every word of a song when I listen to it in my ipod or on the computer, but at a concert, I wouldn't be able to make it all out because there would be some loud man next to me singing along with the song. 4. I like polished, it doesn't hurt my ears. 5. Most of the time you can't see them though. Unless you have the best seats in the house, they aren't really that visible, and you still never get to meet them in person. If I really enjoyed a band, I would look for a biography book about the lead singer's life.LittleHands134

1. Apparently you don't like rock music then.

2. Enjoying music does not mean you are acting like an ape. Honestly, I can't sit still and just listen to music. It's boring that way.

3. I can make out the words to the music whether someone is singing near me or not. I'm guessing you wouldn't enjoy a live sporting event either but prefer to watch on TV.

4. Live music doesn't hurt ears. It's the way music was meant to be heard. Pop stars are over polished to cover up the lack of talent. If you'd rather buy programmed music with neglible talent and support that rather than a talented band I don't know what to tell you..

5. Wow. There is still a difference in the experience of a live concert. Even with bad seats you know when a band is good. And reading a biography is more about worship than being entertained live by the individual.

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts

I think I'm still ear-gasming from the Joe Satriani concert 3 months ago. But nobody I'm interested in is coming to town for a while :(Luncbox1

:o Jealous! I've seen Yngwie live before, so together we're like 2/3 of the original G3 lineup :P

rb2610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#167 rb2610
Member since 2007 • 3325 Posts
Wow, are you really that F'ed up :? you have a strange idea in your head that 90%+ of musicians are junkies and anyone who goes to a concert is a thug. You bring out a supposedly huge list of musicians who have died from drug/alcohol use, yet fail to realise that there are millions of musicians, the percentage that die of OD's probably isn't much higher than the global average, yet you seem convinced that the second you join a band or are in close proximity to a drug user you will suddenly be doomed to a life of drugs and crime and an early death, but I'm sorry, that is just utter BS. I been friends with a guy since I was about 3 years old, we are now both 17, at about 14 he started to smoke and then eventually began to take drugs and go drinking, I stopped associating with him much for the next couple of years, but then I started hanging around with him again and realised that he is completely fine, I spent some time with his friends and he offered me use of his tobacco ect. multiple times, and I politely declined, so I have not once in my life even touched a narcotic substance, it's not that hard to say no, being with people who take drugs doesn't mean you will unless you are terribly weak-willed. I can't say much on the subject of concerts themselves as I have yet to go to one, but I hope to go to Wacken or Bloodstock in '09, what I do know though from talking to friends and people on forums is that generally although the atmosphere is boisterous at metal festivals to say the least, most people will look out for each other if something bad happens, a sort of unwritten law is that if someone falls near you you should try to help them up. And the general atmosphere sounds great to me, especially at festivals, good music, friends, drink (if you want it) and general entertainment and enjoyment, I hear that it is not uncommon for people to start playing random games, a game called 'forky forky' is apparently played at Bloodstock, a bunch of people try to get a fork stuck in a courgette by throwing them at it, sounds like a great laugh to me :D
dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts
It depends on what type of music you listen to. I'm into jazz, so I much prefer my music live.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#169 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Concerts are good because of the atmosphere, and because of the thrill you get from seeing your favourite songs performed live by your favourite artists right in front of you. :)
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 LJS9502_basic
Concerts are good because of the atmosphere, and because of the thrill you get from seeing your favourite songs performed live by your favourite artists right in front of you. :)Ninja-Hippo
Indeed......seeing a favorite band live is teh awesomest. Haven't seen much of you.....good to see you almost live as well.:lol:
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
it's the experience, of a few thousand people screaming/singing along with the song all at the top of their lungs and enjoying every second of it. you just can't explain it. MAYHEMFEST 2008 was awesome, btw.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#172 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Concerts are good because of the atmosphere, and because of the thrill you get from seeing your favourite songs performed live by your favourite artists right in front of you. :)LJS9502_basic
Indeed......seeing a favorite band live is teh awesomest. Haven't seen much of you.....good to see you almost live as well.:lol:

I've been buried under a large pile of law essays. I'm finished now though, and thus have returned to tell people why concerts are awesome. I saw the roots just last week actually, and it was fantastic. :P
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
you should see a nine inch nails concert
KLAX42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 KLAX42
Member since 2008 • 3368 Posts

Well whatever band you saw mustnot have been very good. Take, for example, Radiohead at Lollapalooza.

The weather was perfect and the 150k people in attendance were all really chill and respectful of eachother, for the most part. When performing live, Thom and the boys do things perfectly, if not better than what's recorded on the album. They played 24 songs which is roughly over an over- definately longer than two average-length CDs. That's the most expensive concert I've been to-tickets were $70 dollers for one day, but I've been to some excellent shows for only $12.

Don't let that first experience ruin your entire opinion is what I'm getting at.

Avatar image for eh7nkjn4bFFF9nw
eh7nkjn4bFFF9nw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 eh7nkjn4bFFF9nw
Member since 2005 • 353 Posts
LittleHands, I would like to vocalize my support for you in a gesture of solidarity.
We're kindred spirits, you and I :)

We happen to share many of the same views, except that I do not express them nearly as much as you do, as I do not like frenzied criticism being heaped on me...

Its tough being like this when a good half of your high school actively indulges in drugs and illegal substances. (You think Taiwan is relatively drug-free? Think again, people.)
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

[QUOTE="LittleHands134"]1. The only music I've ever heard that sounded good live were slower folk songs in a small club. As for the rock music, most of it seemed too loud, they forgot some of the words which bothered me, and the instrument/voices sounded a little off at times. 2. Maybe not the first thing, but aren't most concert regulars pretty loud? My perfect concert would be every sitting quietly and enjoying the music. I guess it's too much for people to not act like apes when they're in a large group though. 3. It's loud and offensive. I can hear every word of a song when I listen to it in my ipod or on the computer, but at a concert, I wouldn't be able to make it all out because there would be some loud man next to me singing along with the song. 4. I like polished, it doesn't hurt my ears. 5. Most of the time you can't see them though. Unless you have the best seats in the house, they aren't really that visible, and you still never get to meet them in person. If I really enjoyed a band, I would look for a biography book about the lead singer's life.sAndroid17
you obviously dont like music.

:lol:

Is that your official diagnosis? Sounds like he doesn't like loud... not that he doesn't like music. TC, you sound like you'd enjoy a cIassical recital atmosphere much more than modern music. Frankly, I think most of the people who attend live popular music concerts do so because they ENJOY the noise and the hectic atmosphere. It is exactly what you loathe that they love.

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
for example iron maiden sounds better live. pink floyd's concerts would be utterly awesome with their props / thing son screens / GIANT PIG! its all just fun, and being there soo close to ur favorite bands.. much cooler than sitting in your room listening to something. and u get tour t shirts!
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
The drugs, the booze... seriously, I went to see the San Fransisco Symphony play Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" and the crowd was crazy.
Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

Concerts are good because of the atmosphere, and because of the thrill you get from seeing your favourite songs performed live by your favourite artists right in front of you. :)Ninja-Hippo

Exactly. It's much more of an experience.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

[QUOTE="sAndroid17"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"]1. The only music I've ever heard that sounded good live were slower folk songs in a small club. As for the rock music, most of it seemed too loud, they forgot some of the words which bothered me, and the instrument/voices sounded a little off at times. 2. Maybe not the first thing, but aren't most concert regulars pretty loud? My perfect concert would be every sitting quietly and enjoying the music. I guess it's too much for people to not act like apes when they're in a large group though. 3. It's loud and offensive. I can hear every word of a song when I listen to it in my ipod or on the computer, but at a concert, I wouldn't be able to make it all out because there would be some loud man next to me singing along with the song. 4. I like polished, it doesn't hurt my ears. 5. Most of the time you can't see them though. Unless you have the best seats in the house, they aren't really that visible, and you still never get to meet them in person. If I really enjoyed a band, I would look for a biography book about the lead singer's life.pianist

Is that your official diagnosis? Sounds like he doesn't like loud... not that he doesn't like music. TC, you sound like you'd enjoy a cIassical recital atmosphere much more than modern music. Frankly, I think most of the people who attend live popular music concerts do so because they ENJOY the noise and the hectic atmosphere. It is exactly what you loathe that they love.

So you're saying someone who doesn't like Rhianna would go just because they like the atmosphere?

I would only want to see either A Perfect Circle or Zero 7 live, because they are my favourite. I wouldn't go to watch someone live because of the atmosphere.

Most people I know go to watch their favourite bands play because they love their music. I don't think I've ever come across someone who goes because they "ENJOY the noise and hectic atmosphere."

VacantPsalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 VacantPsalm
Member since 2008 • 3600 Posts
I personally dislike really loud things and large crowds so obviously I dislike concerts.:P However, lower quality of music is not one of the reasons I dislike them. It might just be the bands I listen too but I find some live stuff to be refreshing and makes me enjoy it as if it was new again.:) (I'm mostly talking about The Mars Volta when I say that.)
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="sAndroid17"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"]1. The only music I've ever heard that sounded good live were slower folk songs in a small club. As for the rock music, most of it seemed too loud, they forgot some of the words which bothered me, and the instrument/voices sounded a little off at times. 2. Maybe not the first thing, but aren't most concert regulars pretty loud? My perfect concert would be every sitting quietly and enjoying the music. I guess it's too much for people to not act like apes when they're in a large group though. 3. It's loud and offensive. I can hear every word of a song when I listen to it in my ipod or on the computer, but at a concert, I wouldn't be able to make it all out because there would be some loud man next to me singing along with the song. 4. I like polished, it doesn't hurt my ears. 5. Most of the time you can't see them though. Unless you have the best seats in the house, they aren't really that visible, and you still never get to meet them in person. If I really enjoyed a band, I would look for a biography book about the lead singer's life.pianist

You are generalizing as much as he is. It's about seeing the band play. Crowds are a part of it but not the reason people attend the concert. And not liking loud music does not automatically mean he'll like classical.;)
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 pianist

So you're saying someone who doesn't like Rhianna would go just because they like the atmosphere?

I would only want to see either A Perfect Circle or Zero 7 live, because they are my favourite. I wouldn't go to watch someone live because of the atmosphere.

Most people I know go to watch their favourite bands play because they love their music. I don't think I've ever come across someone who goes because they "ENJOY the noise and hectic atmosphere."

CBR600-RR

They can hear the music at home. So why go to a concert? For the experience. The noise and hectic atmosphere that he was complaining about are part of that experience. Seeing your favourite musicians play live is simply part of the atmosphere - just part that he wasn't complaining about in his post. The point here was supposed to be a simple one - that people attend concerts because they enjoy the aspects of them that he dislikes.

jjr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 jjr10
Member since 2005 • 5880 Posts
For the vibe i suppose. A huge group of people bought together to see a band they all love. I've only been to one proper one, but it was really, really fun.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 pianist

You are generalizing as much as he is. It's about seeing the band play. Crowds are a part of it but not the reason people attend the concert. And not liking loud music does not automatically mean he'll like classical.;)LJS9502_basic

Sheesh. You expect me to list every single reason a person MAY attend a concert in response to a post which made reference to little more than noise and atmosphere? And I didn't say he'd like cIassical music... I said that he'd like the atmosphere of a cIassical recital - which is very much as he describes his 'perfect concert.'

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts
I love concerts. I dont usually go to them unless I know I can get on the floor. I dont think that I have been in the stands in a concert in 7 years. When you are down that close to the stage pretty much all you can here is the music and it is awesome. Concerts are one of the few places where I like being in a crowd (I hate clubs and bars and stuff if there isnt a band I like playing)
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

You are generalizing as much as he is. It's about seeing the band play. Crowds are a part of it but not the reason people attend the concert. And not liking loud music does not automatically mean he'll like classical.;)pianist

Sheesh. You expect me to list every single reason a person MAY attend a concert in response to a post which made reference to little more than noise and atmosphere? And I didn't say he'd like cIassical music... I said that he'd like the atmosphere of a cIassical recital - which is very much as he describes his 'perfect concert.'

I expect not to see concert going due to crowd and noise as the reason. Which is what you said. Most people go for the band. The live experience. Crowds are a part if the band has any notice. But I have yet to encounter anyone that attends concerts for the crowd. He described a folk concert as what he enjoys. The problem is he doesn't like the music and thus doesn't get why anyone attends those concerts.
the_kidisblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 the_kidisblack
Member since 2008 • 1184 Posts
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

I really don't understand it. I've only been to one concert and that was about three years ago, but it was hell on earth. I see no intelligent reason why anyone would want to go, even if they are a fan of the music.

1. The bands never sound as good live, especially rock bands.

2. There's normally rude, horrible smelling people filling the seats, and they're always very loud.

3. It's hard to enjoy the music when there's people screaming right next to you.

4. You get a generally better sound quality from listening to the music at home.

5. Concerts cost more than two CDs would, and you get more songs from two CDs, at a better sound quality.

There's my five main reasons. It just doesn't make sense for someone to waste their time and money on going to a concert. Why do people do it?

1. You are listening to the wrong bands then. I've heard bands that sound great live.

2. I guess it depends on the fan base. I haven't noticed that.

3. Are you kidding? The music is loud. You need to get into the music.

4. You get polished sound...not better. Real music shouldn't be studio fixed.

5. The experience is different. Nothing like seeing a band you enjoy live. Provided they are good live.. What bands have you seen that aren't able to play live?

1. The only music I've ever heard that sounded good live were slower folk songs in a small club. As for the rock music, most of it seemed too loud, they forgot some of the words which bothered me, and the instrument/voices sounded a little off at times. 2. Maybe not the first thing, but aren't most concert regulars pretty loud? My perfect concert would be every sitting quietly and enjoying the music. I guess it's too much for people to not act like apes when they're in a large group though. 3. It's loud and offensive. I can hear every word of a song when I listen to it in my ipod or on the computer, but at a concert, I wouldn't be able to make it all out because there would be some loud man next to me singing along with the song. 4. I like polished, it doesn't hurt my ears. 5. Most of the time you can't see them though. Unless you have the best seats in the house, they aren't really that visible, and you still never get to meet them in person. If I really enjoyed a band, I would look for a biography book about the lead singer's life.

1. Rock music is different from folk music, eg it is meant to be loud! It's live of course it's not going to be pitch-tone perfect. 2. Sitting quitely and enjoying the music? Hmmm I don't think so. I would prefere to be in the mosh to my favourite band like coldplay or something. I go there to be involved and have a good time, I can sit down and sing at home. 3. Answering the same point for the 3rd time, rock concerts are MEANT to be loud. 4. Wear ear-plugs 5. Do you really think you are going to meet them in person, as well as the other 100 000 people with you. They are visible. If they're not, you could read the book.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 pianist

I expect not to see concert going due to crowd and noise as the reason. Which is what you said. Most people go for the band. The live experience. Crowds are a part if the band has any notice. But I have yet to encounter anyone that attends concerts for the crowd. He described a folk concert as what he enjoys. The problem is he doesn't like the music and thus doesn't get why anyone attends those concerts. LJS9502_basic

And so again... they get nothing from a concert that they couldn't get at home if all they're going for is the band. You've misinterpreted what I wrote. I did not write that people ONLY go for the noise and hectic atmosphere. I said most go because they enjoy what he loathes. If the noise or atmosphere bothered them, they wouldn't go. They'd sit at home, like the TC, and listen to their CDs.

I didn't read his post that carefully, but I was under the impression that he DOES like this music... just not performed live. He made reference to the folk music concert as more along the lines of his 'perfect concert,' but it is the atmosphere of a rock concert that has been at the heart of his argument from the beginning. That's what I was addressing. And to a lesser extent, the peculiar response that he must not like music because he doesn't like live rock shows.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I expect not to see concert going due to crowd and noise as the reason. Which is what you said. Most people go for the band. The live experience. Crowds are a part if the band has any notice. But I have yet to encounter anyone that attends concerts for the crowd. He described a folk concert as what he enjoys. The problem is he doesn't like the music and thus doesn't get why anyone attends those concerts. pianist

And so again... they get nothing from a concert that they couldn't get at home if all they're going for is the band. You've misinterpreted what I wrote. I did not write that people ONLY go for the noise and hectic atmosphere. I said most go because they enjoy what he loathes. If the noise or atmosphere bothered them, they wouldn't go. They'd sit at home, like the TC, and listen to their CDs.

I didn't read his post that carefully, but I was under the impression that he DOES like this music... just not performed live. He made reference to the folk music concert as more along the lines of his 'perfect concert,' but it is the atmosphere of a rock concert that has been at the heart of his argument from the beginning. That's what I was addressing. And to a lesser extent, the peculiar response that he must not like music because he doesn't like live rock shows.

Well now there is a difference between hearing a band live and hearing a bands studio work. They are very different experiences. That is why people attend concerts. Heck...my perfect concert would be a performance just for me so I get the best seats in the house and don't have to worry about someone standing directly in front of me. Though crowd energy is cool....it's not the reason for attending the show.

I got the impression he's not much of a rock fan. Rock has always been intended to be played loud....even at home. Anyway...off to work,.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I only have been to one concert, it had a bunch of bands playing. I enjoyed the bands' performence besides some other shows that I have no idea why were put inside the concert. Most of them are Jazz songs though.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 pianist

Well now there is a difference between hearing a band live and hearing a bands studio work. They are very different experiences. That is why people attend concerts. Heck...my perfect concert would be a performance just for me so I get the best seats in the house and don't have to worry about someone standing directly in front of me. Though crowd energy is cool....it's not the reason for attending the show.

I got the impression he's not much of a rock fan. Rock has always been intended to be played loud....even at home. Anyway...off to work,.

LJS9502_basic

Indeed. That's exactly what I was pointing out. The noise levels and atmosphere are part of the experience that people enjoy, but he doesn't. So if he wants to understand why people 'subject themselves' to something he hates, he just needs to understand that some people LIKE the aspects of a rock concert that he hates. If loud did not contribute to a rock concert or drove people away, musicians wouldn't play loud.

As for energy... just a couple of replies up:

2. Sitting quitely and enjoying the music? Hmmm I don't think so. I would prefere to be in the mosh to my favourite band like coldplay or something. I go there to be involved and have a good time, I can sit down and sing at home.the_kidisblack

I don't think he's alone. I think a lot fewer people would attend rock concerts if this involvement wasn't possible. That's the hectic atmosphere I was referring to.

Have fun at work!

Avatar image for bebopoutlaw3gun
bebopoutlaw3gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 bebopoutlaw3gun
Member since 2004 • 5584 Posts

Maybe concerts just arent your thing.

Cause I can't think of many things better than seeing my favorite bands. People have generally always been cool at all the shows I've been to and every band I've seen sounded great.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

[QUOTE="Sajedene"]I kind of feel bad for you and what you're missing out on because of your jaded view of music and musicians. But only bad enough to type this. LittleHands134

Here's a list of musicians who died to alcohol or drug related deaths. There's a lot more, these are the only ones I could write down from the list before my hand hurt. My view on musicians is jaded for a reason.

Jimi Hendrix

Janis Joplin

Phil Lynott

Jim Morrison

Sid Vicious

Dennis Wilson

GG Allin

West Arkeen

Chet Baker

John Balance

Lester Bangs

Bix Beiderbecke

John Belushi

Wes Berggren

Dave Bidwell

Tommy Bolin

John Bonham

James Booker

Erik Brodreskift

Herman Brood

Dennis Brown

Rob Buck

Paul Butterfield

Toy Caldwell

Casey Calvert

Leroy Carr

Gene Clark

Sonny Clark

Michael Clarke

Brian Cole

Carl Crack

Darby Crash

Robbin Crosby

Jesse Ed Davis

Keven DuBrow

Tommy Edwards

John Entwistle

Rick Evers

Howie Epstein

Pete Farndon

Brenda Fassie

Zac Foley

Judy Garland

Dwayne Goettel

Sean Greenway

Stacy Guess

Tim Hardin

Eddie Hazel

Tim Hemensley

Billie Holiday

Peter Laughner

Frankie Lymon

David McComb

Robbie McIntosh

Miss Christine

Malcolm Owen

John Panozzo

Charlie Parker

Bon Scott

*Lists every other artist/band here that DID not die from substance abuse* I can 100% guarantee you that my list would be longer than yours.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

[QUOTE="Sajedene"]I kind of feel bad for you and what you're missing out on because of your jaded view of music and musicians. But only bad enough to type this. Sajedene

Here's a list of musicians who died to alcohol or drug related deaths. There's a lot more, these are the only ones I could write down from the list before my hand hurt. My view on musicians is jaded for a reason.

*Lists every other artist/band here that DID not die from substance abuse* I can 100% guarantee you that my list would be longer than yours.

*lists ANYONE who died from alcohol/drug abuse* his list proves nothing
links136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 links136
Member since 2004 • 2400 Posts
Wow, littlhand you've got to be the most boring person out there. Seriously, you like to read quietly, and wonder why you don't like concerts? Theres an adrenelene rush you get from going to a concert, something you obviously have no idea about. Gotta love your hate for anything you can't understand.
rb2610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 rb2610
Member since 2007 • 3325 Posts
I would prefere to be in the mosh to my favourite band like coldplay or something.the_kidisblack
:lol: rofl at moshing to coldplay :lol:
Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts
because people like to see their favorite band in person...simply put.
dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts
i have been to countless concerts and i can tell you it's very much worth it if you love music as much as i do. it's fun to go and hang out with other people who are into the same music as i am. i also get to meet the band, get pictures with them, and have stuff signed.

if you think studio quality is better, then it's obvious you haven't seen a synth band live. they sound roughly the same live as they do in the studio just amplified. they don't make you deaf nearly as much as guitar bands do for a few days. they do however, make everything vibrate more.