Why are atheists so hostile? Dare I click Submit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#201 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts
Misery loves company.F1_2004
I'm quite happy, actually! : )
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#202 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

but surely if it were directed at a religious cult, like christianity, it'd be mod/ban/thread

_R34LiTY_

And then people wonder why the TC made this thread.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#203 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

[QUOTE="_R34LiTY_"]

but surely if it were directed at a religious cult, like christianity, it'd be mod/ban/thread

Espada12

Because another atheist made an anti-theistic comment in another anti-atheistic thread? The circle of abuse feeds itself.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="_R34LiTY_"]

Danm_999

Because another atheist made an anti-theistic comment in another anti-atheistic thread? The circle of abuse feeds itself.

No because this is the general trend on these boards, I just pulled out one example. And you say anti-atheistic thread like there's alot here... this must have been the first one for the year, yet there have been probably 10+ anti-religious topics within that time.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Espada12

Danm here's one example.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27551518&page=0

If you know dog_dirt's prior posting he's atheist. Check the rest of responses in the thread to.

metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#206 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
there can be fanatic atheists just as fanatic religious people not all atheists are aggressive and put all other religions down
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
you actually looked through 100 pages of posts to make a point? God job, you won!
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Danm_999

Danm here's one example.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27551518&page=0

If you know dog_dirt's prior posting he's atheist. Check the rest of responses in the thread to.

Espada12

Yeah I checked his posting history, his topic should really be in the anti-religion column.

Still, the margin is basically neck and neck. Both sides seek to antagonise each other.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Everything is open to being questioned no matter how damaging those questions can be. I don't mind it if theists are hostile, but on one condition: proof. (For the record, the standard applies to everyone.)
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#211 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

No because this is the general trend on these boards, I just pulled out one example. And you say anti-atheistic thread like there's alot here... this must have been the first one for the year, yet there have been probably 10+ anti-religious topics within that time.

:? No, there have been similar threads like this through out the year...

Or nevermind, I'm thinking of 2010...:P

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"] Because another atheist made an anti-theistic comment in another anti-atheistic thread? The circle of abuse feeds itself. tocool340

:? No, there have been similar threads like this through out the year...

Or nevermind, I'm thinking of 2010...:P

There were. They exist in about even numbers since the beginning of 2011. Because religious belief/lack thereof has little effect on a person's arrogance and vileness.
maryal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#213 maryal
Member since 2004 • 193 Posts

Hey, you would be hostile too if you were probed by aliens.

Chickity_China

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#214 Chickity_China
Member since 2007 • 2322 Posts

Because the believer came first.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Danm_999

Chickity_China
First to what?
GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts
[QUOTE="eyebrows250"]

Seriously, why do atheists always feel the need to destroy other's beliefs?

Discuss.

Miroku32
And why Christians want me to believe in something I dont believe?

That's a generalization...... Not all of us are like that, y'know.. ;) That's like saying that all Atheists are ignorant, elitist, fact-spouting zealots, when in reality it's just the minority... :P I'm one of the Christians who really just doesn't give a s*** what others believe. :P
I do noticed that many atheist love to call people idiots or to look down on them for believing in Godlightleggy
Though I also have noticed this....
Avatar image for TheFameMonster-
TheFameMonster-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 TheFameMonster-
Member since 2010 • 104 Posts
Gaga believes it's absurd for you to think of atheist as hostile and not of believers the exact same way. Gaga believes you should go out more...fore OT doesn't represent the world.
auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#218 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
Hostile? Who's hostile? I'm not hostile. Stop pointing your finger at me!
DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts
[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

You act like Christians are fighting for majority. Remember when Christianity had wars and killed ppl? I think a few threads on a non-religious board is fair.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
I think this thread boils down to: People, in general, are largely unpleasant.
eyebrows250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 eyebrows250
Member since 2004 • 181 Posts

First up, I didn't create this topic to start a flame war, I made it so I could get some answers. I read through most responses with an open mind, and have learned quite a few things:

-All groups, whether they be classed by religion, race, or others, will have hostile people.

-It's in our nature as humans to stand up for what we believe in.

-We're on the internet, which can be an easy place to throw accusations and generalisations. I stated earlier, I did not aim to generalise so heavily.

-People will generally act with retaliation if something is forced/ pushed upon them.

I should mention also, that most of my friends do not share my beliefs, and although I keep my beliefs to myself, they occasionally put dirt on religion. So I'm the black sheep in my case.

Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts
I think this thread boils down to: People, in general, are largely unpleasant.clayron
And you're the worst offender, Mr. Burns!
AndromedasWake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 AndromedasWake
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts
I usually see theists busting out the "you're being hostile" card when they lose an argument/debate. When it comes to religion, it seems that questioning it is equated directly to hostility and rudeness. To which my response is "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen". My two cents.
hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 hotfiree
Member since 2006 • 2185 Posts
Sick of having god ramed down my throat with no proof. You ever had a atheist knocking on your door at dinner time trying to preach to you? I dont know why people even do that. Why do you need more people to join your religion? Cant you just be happy to practice it yourself, instead of trying to brainwash others? Does your faith get stronger the more members you recruit?
ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
[QUOTE="hotfiree"]Sick of having god ramed down my throat with no proof. You ever had a atheist knocking on your door at dinner time trying to preach to you? I dont know why people even do that. Why do you need more people to join your religion? Cant you just be happy to practice it yourself, instead of trying to brainwash others? Does your faith get stronger the more members you recruit?

God scares Christians with the mentality that if they don't at least try, that non-believer is guaranteed to face pains unheard of on Earth. Just imagine, if the ever loving father threw a sibling down the burning basement and you could have at least tried to help. And this is for an eternity, so some might want to avoid that for their friends like the plague. Atheists don't have any threats lingering over their heads. Not any they believe in. So in summary, they try to keep people from being thrown in that basement. Though personally, if I was a father, I wouldn't keep them in that basement forever, or even put them in there in the first place if they were relatively good people. Trolls, I would, however. =D
ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
I usually see theists busting out the "you're being hostile" card when they lose an argument/debate. When it comes to religion, it seems that questioning it is equated directly to hostility and rudeness. To which my response is "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen". My two cents.AndromedasWake
Nah. I think it's more of the "lol, you're a guy of faith. You're illogical by nature."
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]you serious right?foxhound_fox

And what if I am? Ever since becoming a non-dogmatic atheist (basically how I started my career on Gamespot, exercising the beliefs of others as my own without being able to establish them logically within my own consciousness), I've always been seeking "the truth" about existence no matter what it might be. Knowing that there is no way of "knowing" that a "God" being actually exists empirically has many implications about existence that I honestly don't think many people on this planet can rightly accept without causing some serious problems.

Knowing that the "purpose" of one's life must be derived from oneself, and relying on something else "out there" is impossible can be a substantially jading experience for many people, that causes a cognitive dissonance that only the strongest can survive and endure. Many people aren't ready for this realization, as I've too often discovered in my continuing studies of religion and personal interaction with people, and pressing the issue may only make things worse.

People need to find "the truth" through their own effort and paths... and telling them they are "just wrong" doesn't help them discover what they can understand coherently without relying on faith and trust in authority.

--

I've been reading the Qur'an recently (after a moderate hiatus of setting it aside due to problems with its morality) and have discovered a hermeneutical process, that when applied to the Qur'an, turns it from a backward book of medieval Middle-Eastern morals into a handbook that guides the user to a state of extreme reverence of the universe, of life, and of the processes of the natural world. As I discovered this process, it became shockingly apparent to me how most religious texts, when viewed in this way, could easily be applied in the same way to revering the universe and life and the natural processes that "created" us.

Of course, this means putting aside all the dogmatism and conservative orthodoxy that has developed in all these religious traditions over the centuries, because they impose a harsh literalism that just defeats the texts' inherent value. And all the after-editing done to these texts to make them mythologically more relevant to the time the authors were alive.

When stripped down to its core message, the Qur'an talks basically about a pantheistic God (a personification of the entirty of existence, both physical and mental) who only wishes us realize that our place in the universe is deterministic (cause and effect being "God's Will"), but we have the chance to push it towards a perfected beneficience that will benefit all of those to come in the future. Which is very similar to Jesus' message as well, which I don't doubt inspired Muhammad.

Though, it is also ironic that the majority of Muslims (probably on the order of more than 90%) have fallen victim to the same "perversion of scripture" that is attested to in the Qur'an for other "People of the Book" and have cherry-picked their way to a very conservative extremism that is in no way the Islam that I see evidently in the Qur'an. Submission to Allah is realizing one's place in the universe, and allowing oneself to manifest His perfected attributes in the natural world to the best of one's abilities.

It's a sad day for Muslims when even an Atheists points out the basic tenants in Islam. Our fellow Muslims have been to brainwashed by Hadiths and Imams/Sheikhs, you know the kind of type, who tells you not to read the Quran, cause we won't get it, but listen to him instead.

KittenNipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 KittenNipples
Member since 2007 • 3013 Posts
When did people ever respect each other? Certainly not in our life times..
optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#230 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts

Chickity_China
You wouldn't happen to have any proof would you? :|
MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#231 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

It's the atheists that are hostile? Really?

The attitude of many Christians where I live is upsetting. Back when I was an atheist I was afraid of ever saying it out loud because like everybody was Christian, and many of them will turn hostile.

I heard one of my Christian friends say that at work he has an Atheist that is supposedly "hostile", and that my friend hasn't done anything. I can't really believe that, I know my friend, and how he can't accept Atheists because "you have to believe in something". He claims he hasn't said a word to trigger it, but I think that a lot of Atheists really have to get targeted to get really angry and forceful about it.

And trust me, when you live in the Bible Belt, you are the victim.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Christians are just as hostile, perhaps even more. HOWEVER, from my experience, it is only Baptists, Mormons, and Jahova's Witnesses that are militant about it. For instance, I'm a practicing presbyterian and have had baptists come up to me and say I need to accept Jesus as my lord and saviour or I will burn. I tell them I'm a presbyterianand they asked if I've been baptised. I said I was baptised as a baby in a catholic church (I used to be catholic), and they told me I needed to be baptised when I had the choice to accept Jesus as my lord and saviour. What the heck people?!?!?! Thats part of the reason I'm slowly turning away from the specifics of Christianity and adopting more Buddhist practices.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#233 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Chickity_China

Actually no. We first had to come up with a concept for belief, and then choose to believe in it.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Danm_999
. I said I was baptised as a baby in a catholic church (I used to be catholic), and they told me I needed to be baptised when I had the choice to accept Jesus as my lord and saviour. What the heck people?!?!?! Grodus5
Heh, yeah. A friend of mine went through this sort of BS recently. It's not enough you accept Christ as your saviour; YOU NEED TO DO IT WITH US!
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
Why do people generalize so much? Dare I click Submit?
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="clayron"]I think this thread boils down to: People, in general, are largely unpleasant.BreakTheseLinks
And you're the worst offender, Mr. Burns!

mr burns is a happy man
IAMTHEJOKER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#237 IAMTHEJOKER88
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

You don't need science to see how utterly flawed most religions are.

Atheists are hostile because they percieve superstition as nothing but trouble.

Btw, i am not an athiest, more agnostic.

theBeorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 theBeorn
Member since 2003 • 1378 Posts
atheist believe that without religion the world's problems would be fewer. now that's a belief that's bigger than any God.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 surrealnumber5
atheist believe that without religion the world's problems would be fewer. now that's a belief that's bigger than any God.theBeorn
would that be before or after all of the problems caused by assulting others religious views?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
Atheists are hostile because their lack of faith in God deprives them of bananas, which are essential to happiness. If they just believed in God then they'd have all the bananas they want and they'd all be respectful and we'd get along just fine.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

Atheists are hostile because their lack of faith in God deprives them of bananas, which are essential to happiness. If they just believed in God then they'd have all the bananas they want and they'd all be respectful and we'd get along just fine.Theokhoth

bananas: proof of god since 2003

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Atheists are hostile because their lack of faith in God deprives them of bananas, which are essential to happiness. If they just believed in God then they'd have all the bananas they want and they'd all be respectful and we'd get along just fine.comp_atkins

Now, notice the atheist in that picture has no banana.

yucky_straw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 yucky_straw
Member since 2007 • 1225 Posts

Are they trying to drag down everyone else with them? In every topic I see with the word "God" or "religion" in it, you immediately see all the non-believers quoting "there is no God" or "Science is proving everything false". What happened to being respectful of others? Seriously, why do atheists always feel the need to destroy other's beliefs?

Discuss.

eyebrows250

By 'drag down' do you mean down to hell? There's nothing 'down' about being an atheist. I actually find myself being happier as an atheist than I did as a person of faith. The hostility you experience from athiests is quite mild compared to the standards religion has set throughout history. Each religion today has at some point tortured and killed people of other religions as well as non-believers. And it still happens today. The Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket the funeral of the 9 year old girl that was killed in Ariziona because her family is Catholic and this church believes 'God Hates Catholics' as their signs read. That is hostile. It can be frustrating to be an atheist in America because our country is the most religious modern nation. And because of that everything in our daily lives is influenced by religion. Every major religious group has lobbiests pushing to get laws passed that favor their religious beliefs. Every politician claims to be a person of faith. So a lot of what you read may just be frustration not hostility. People should always be respectful to others but people should also be allowed to question beliefs. Why is a persons belief about what happens when we die or the origin of the universe off limits for debate or even questioning? Especially since these are claims that no human being could ever know.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Atheists are hostile because their lack of faith in God deprives them of bananas, which are essential to happiness. If they just believed in God then they'd have all the bananas they want and they'd all be respectful and we'd get along just fine.Theokhoth

Who knew that the Swedish Chef was an atheist?
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

xaos

Who knew that the Swedish Chef was an atheist?

thank you i need my muppet fix

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#246 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Christians are just as hostile, perhaps even more. HOWEVER, from my experience, it is only Baptists, Mormons, and Jahova's Witnesses that are militant about it. For instance, I'm a practicing presbyterian and have had baptists come up to me and say I need to accept Jesus as my lord and saviour or I will burn. I tell them I'm a presbyterianand they asked if I've been baptised. I said I was baptised as a baby in a catholic church (I used to be catholic), and they told me I needed to be baptised when I had the choice to accept Jesus as my lord and saviour. What the heck people?!?!?! Thats part of the reason I'm slowly turning away from the specifics of Christianity and adopting more Buddhist practices.

Grodus5
white people turn too buddiz is either girlieboy or poser
Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Harkat95
Member since 2009 • 1139 Posts
[QUOTE="iAtrocious"]

[QUOTE="arbitor365"]

we aren't "hostile." we simply refuse to give religion the respect that it has so undeservingly enjoyed for so long.

Don't include me in your little group. I respect religion: the fact that its concept has endured for as long as we know mankind as mankind is baffling on its own.

DO include me in your little group...
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#248 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

Are they trying to drag down everyone else with them? In every topic I see with the word "God" or "religion" in it, you immediately see all the non-believers quoting "there is no God" or "Science is proving everything false". What happened to being respectful of others? Seriously, why do atheists always feel the need to destroy other's beliefs?

Discuss.

eyebrows250
Yep because they stand in the street preaching we will all go to Hell. Give me a break man honestly.......... Raghhh
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#249 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Atheists are hostile because their lack of faith in God deprives them of bananas, which are essential to happiness. If they just believed in God then they'd have all the bananas they want and they'd all be respectful and we'd get along just fine.Theokhoth

Why don't they have badges of honor for posts like these?