Why are atheists so hostile? Dare I click Submit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#151 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

TC I think you just answered your own question...

Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

it's better to be "hostie" with words than actually comitting violence in the name of religion.

maybe that's why atheists are so hostile towards religion? because religion is destructive at this point in time.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#153 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

you serious right?GazaAli

And what if I am? Ever since becoming a non-dogmatic atheist (basically how I started my career on Gamespot, exercising the beliefs of others as my own without being able to establish them logically within my own consciousness), I've always been seeking "the truth" about existence no matter what it might be. Knowing that there is no way of "knowing" that a "God" being actually exists empirically has many implications about existence that I honestly don't think many people on this planet can rightly accept without causing some serious problems.

Knowing that the "purpose" of one's life must be derived from oneself, and relying on something else "out there" is impossible can be a substantially jading experience for many people, that causes a cognitive dissonance that only the strongest can survive and endure. Many people aren't ready for this realization, as I've too often discovered in my continuing studies of religion and personal interaction with people, and pressing the issue may only make things worse.

People need to find "the truth" through their own effort and paths... and telling them they are "just wrong" doesn't help them discover what they can understand coherently without relying on faith and trust in authority.

--

I've been reading the Qur'an recently (after a moderate hiatus of setting it aside due to problems with its morality) and have discovered a hermeneutical process, that when applied to the Qur'an, turns it from a backward book of medieval Middle-Eastern morals into a handbook that guides the user to a state of extreme reverence of the universe, of life, and of the processes of the natural world. As I discovered this process, it became shockingly apparent to me how most religious texts, when viewed in this way, could easily be applied in the same way to revering the universe and life and the natural processes that "created" us.

Of course, this means putting aside all the dogmatism and conservative orthodoxy that has developed in all these religious traditions over the centuries, because they impose a harsh literalism that just defeats the texts' inherent value. And all the after-editing done to these texts to make them mythologically more relevant to the time the authors were alive.

When stripped down to its core message, the Qur'an talks basically about a pantheistic God (a personification of the entirty of existence, both physical and mental) who only wishes us realize that our place in the universe is deterministic (cause and effect being "God's Will"), but we have the chance to push it towards a perfected beneficience that will benefit all of those to come in the future. Which is very similar to Jesus' message as well, which I don't doubt inspired Muhammad.

Though, it is also ironic that the majority of Muslims (probably on the order of more than 90%) have fallen victim to the same "perversion of scripture" that is attested to in the Qur'an for other "People of the Book" and have cherry-picked their way to a very conservative extremism that is in no way the Islam that I see evidently in the Qur'an. Submission to Allah is realizing one's place in the universe, and allowing oneself to manifest His perfected attributes in the natural world to the best of one's abilities.

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

Why are theists to hostile ? Two can play this game :P

Most theists and atheists are pretty open about religion, it's just that the aggressive minority is also the loudest one.

Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Phaze-Two

Atheists who are hostile are most likely people who see a particular extreme of religious people and then proceed to generalize the entire populous of religious people. It goes the other way around as well. I see a lot of Atheist's talking about how judgmental and overbearing Christians are. That they say things like "you're going to hell for not believing in what I believe." I'm Christian. I've never once told anyone that they're going to hell or thought that I'm somehow better than them because I'm Christian. If any Christian does act that way, then they're not really a person who is god fearing (or a true Christian). Because it is stated in the bible that no human being has the power to judge another regardless of what they believe. Only God has that power. I'm sure these religious extremists exist. That doesn't mean you should disrespect anyone's beliefs and mash up those extremists with regular Christians. Just like I don't assume every Atheist is a conceited, self righteous narcissist. I've met Atheists like that before. But that doesn't mean they're all like that.frostybanana

but you worship a god who sends people to hell. that's not much better.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#156 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Why to Christians feel the need to force their beliefs on others? See, I can do it too. :roll:
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
There are a lot of atheists that are disrespectful, but it's not as if there exists no disrespectful religious people; hell, disrespect for atheism has been institutionalized in Judaism and Christianity (see psalm 14:1 - this I'd not to say that all, or even a majority of Jews and Christians are disrespectful of atheists, nor does this excuse disrespect from atheists)
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#158 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="iAtrocious"]

[QUOTE="F1_2004"][QUOTE="iAtrocious"]

Sure they do.

Ever seen a soup kitchen at a church?

How nice of them. It's the least they could do, considering the ridiculous amount of wealth and lands they've massed.

Also, you forget how the Church used to charge you for your place in heaven, and every sin had a price-tag attached to it to get it erased. That is until Luther came around and presented the Catholic church with some competition, which has, as expected, deviated from its intended path.

the least they could do is not a damn thing, but charity is in the christian corp charter
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@fox_hound

I asked you this because I wanted to make sure. Your post is great, that's why I asked you. I can't speak for those 90% Muslims you were talking about, but I believe that A LOT of Muslims miss the point and cherry pick certain things from the Quran and the Islamic faith in general. I respect your curiosity and journey of knowing the truth, but we have a well-known saying that scholars have passed to each other through the ages that says "Whoever that takes his book as his mentor, his mistakes will be more than his corrects". I don't mean anything specific by this, but you gave Allah a certain description according to what you understood by reading the Quran. The thing is, one of the most important aspects of Quran is the fact that its native language is Arabic. Arabic is a really profound language and as a native speaker of it, its really really hard to translate it to other languages including English.

You may (I'm sure) disagree with this, but we have certain interpretation for the Quran done by well-known scholars with certain evidences and back tracing to the days of the prophet Mohammad himself. Note that I would not normally reply like this as I'm sure I will be perceived clergy/pushy and I don't really care about what others believe, but you seem to be informed enough to handle this well. The one I use is called "Finest interpretation for Mohammad Al-Sabouni". Try to find it in English and read it, it will give you another perspective to things. You may end up not caring about Islam even more, but it goes well with your journey.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 GazaAli
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]Why to Christians feel the need to force their beliefs on others? See, I can do it too. :roll:

let's get real tho, look at most religious topics on OT and say what you said again.
DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts
[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"][QUOTE="WockaFlocka"] But the Bible says that Atheists are going to hell, and to tell every one the word. I'm a religious person with morals, and I believe that you should educate, NOT preach to people. They will be more likely to believe if you don't yell " ur going to hell!".WockaFlocka
Who said you were qualified to teach? Thats another thing. Believers have this "niceness" about them that is just as itimidating as forcefull athiest. I don't trust ppl who are so condescending.

No one. What I mean is that if someone DOESN't know about God, then you should be able to preach/teach to them and let them decide.

Why? What if they are doing just fine without him. Theres a possiblity that could hurt someone just as much as it helps them.
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Phaze-Two

There are a lot of atheists that are disrespectful, but it's not as if there exists no disrespectful religious people; hell, disrespect for atheism has been institutionalized in Judaism and Christianity (see psalm 14:1 - this I'd not to say that all, or even a majority of Jews and Christians are disrespectful of atheists, nor does this excuse disrespect from atheists) -Sun_Tzu-

True, and what atheists don't have is anything that tells them to assume religious people are corrupt or fools just because they're religious. Many atheists used to be religious after all, like me.

it certainly doesn't have anything that says to kill apostates, like in islam, either. that's being hostile.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 foxhound_fox

@fox_hound

I asked you this because I wanted to make sure. Your post is great, that's why I asked you. I can't speak for those 90% Muslims you were talking about, but I believe that A LOT of Muslims miss the point and cherry pick certain things from the Quran and the Islamic faith in general. I respect your curiosity and journey of knowing the truth, but we have a well-known saying that scholars have passed to each other through the ages that says "Whoever that takes his book as his mentor, his mistakes will be more than his corrects". I don't mean anything specific by this, but you gave Allah a certain description according to what you understood by reading the Quran. The thing is, one of the most important aspects of Quran is the fact that its native language is Arabic. Arabic is a really profound language and as a native speaker of it, its really really hard to translate it to other languages including English.GazaAli

Which is one reason I find it disheartening that I have to learn how to (at least) read a language in order to fully understand a holy texts message (I've had the same experience countless time with Sanskrit and Tibetan in Buddhism).

You may (I'm sure) disagree with this, but we have certain interpretation for the Quran done by well-known scholars with certain evidences and back tracing to the days of the prophet Mohammad himself. Note that I would not normally reply like this as I'm sure I will be perceived clergy/pushy and I don't really care about what others believe, but you seem to be informed enough to handle this well. The one I use is called "Finest interpretation for Mohammad Al-Sabouni". Try to find it in English and read it, it will give you another perspective to things. You may end up not caring about Islam even more, but it goes well with your journey.

GazaAli

I do disagree... because I've only ever found that when people relying on an authority for their "truth" then they fail to realize it for themselves. This I think is one of the major problems with Islam, is that it has problems viewing itself as less-then-perfect, where the authority of God is not absolute. Now of course, I know this is an expressed truth in the Qur'an, but I think that is merely the literal interpretation of it, and like anything written in a holy text, it can and should be approached metaphorically or symbolically as well.

When someone writes a commentary about the Qur'an, they are most definitely interpreting it... which according to a literal interpretation of the Qur'an is not allowed, because "God's Word" is "absolute and perfect." But exegesis (explanatory commentary) and hermeneutics (interpretive commentary) are necessary if anyone besides the original author will be able to understand the text and its teachings. Which is why I advocate that all Muslims don't rely on merely the Qur'an, or merely a single interpretation of the Qur'an in commentary, but take the entirety of their literature associated with their religion, and take it all equally, because that body of literature is itself far, FAR more valuable than just the Qur'an by itself. Seeing different perspectives (which, for me, are all "right" in some regard, because we all have out own ways of seeing things) can only help improve how the community melds into a more cohesive whole.

If we take all this into mind... then we as Allah's creations, all being made differently, with different gifts, all have authority over what is in the Qur'an, because non-literally, it represents the body of ideas surrounding Allah, and the many interpretations therein, and not just the single "truth" expressed in the Qur'an (i.e. more than one religion carrying Allah's message) or by any of its commentators.

Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts
Uhh. That can go the other way too. I am an athiest and I am sick of religious people trying to push their beliefs on me. Im 19 years old I think if i wanted to believe in some god, I would already. The best way to get them to leave me alone is to be an utter prick to them.
Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
I am a atheist and I don't think I am ever hostile. I actually don't care what people believe. I don't even know if what I believe is right.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Are they trying to drag down everyone else with them? In every topic I see with the word "God" or "religion" in it, you immediately see all the non-believers quoting "there is no God" or "Science is proving everything false". What happened to being respectful of others? Seriously, why do atheists always feel the need to destroy other's beliefs?

Discuss.

eyebrows250

atheists are hostile because organized religion is the most evil force in the history of mankind.

you literally can not name any other thing in humanities history that has caused more suffering.

how can you not be outspoken when it comes up?

Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Phaze-Two

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]Why to Christians feel the need to force their beliefs on others? See, I can do it too. :roll:GazaAli
let's get real tho, look at most religious topics on OT and say what you said again.

yeah, and youtube is also a great place to see alot of athiest related videos.

but how many people in the world are atheists/agnostics again? a tiny percentage?

don't act like religion is the underdog. it may the underdog in places where there's like actual discussion, and scrutiny is allowed. and religion is dying in those areas because people are generally sensible. and that's why atheists/agnostics are so active, because discussion works. and that's the asnwer to the thread.

athests are so "hostile" about discussing religion, because discussion works. and it's a good thing. I feel like this thread is making it seem like it's a bad thing to be "hostile" in discussing religion. it's a good thing. as long as it's non-violent and not harming anyone.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
I am an atheist and I just don't care. I never bring the subject up and don't bother myself with it. Doesn't sound too hostile of me.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 GazaAli
@fox_hound As far as I understood your post (your language is a little strong for me) I do agree that you as an individual has a saying in how to interpret the Quran and those interpretation I was talking about are still a good support systems or whatever you want to call them. I believe that everyone can understand and everyone have the responsibility of understanding. But still, just as you mentioned that everyone has different gifts and abilities and some of us have the capability of being someone knowledgeable with a different and deep insight into religion. Just as we have scientists, musicians, artists...etc
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"]Why to Christians feel the need to force their beliefs on others? See, I can do it too. :roll:Phaze-Two

yeah, and youtube is also a great place to see alot of athiest related videos.

but how many people in the world are atheists/agnostics again? a tiny percentage?

don't act like religion is the underdog. it may the underdog in places where there's like actual discussion, and scrutiny is allowed. and religion is dying in those areas because people are generally sensible. and that's why atheists/agnostics are so active, because discussion works. and that's the asnwer to the thread.

athests are so "hostile" about discussing religion, because discussion works. and it's a good thing. I feel like this thread is making it seem like it's a bad thing to be "hostile" in discussing religion. it's a good thing. as long as it's non-violent and not harming anyone.

come on dont lump agnostics with atheists, that is like calling a moderate an extremist
bcroger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#171 bcroger2
Member since 2009 • 848 Posts

Are they trying to drag down everyone else with them? In every topic I see with the word "God" or "religion" in it, you immediately see all the non-believers quoting "there is no God" or "Science is proving everything false". What happened to being respectful of others? Seriously, why do atheists always feel the need to destroy other's beliefs?

Discuss.

eyebrows250
Am an agnostic (former atheist) and I agree with you. However I try to respect other people's religion as much as possible.
jjj13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#172 jjj13
Member since 2005 • 2399 Posts

[QUOTE="dunl12496"]

Kind of have a point. Christians fight to save people, so what about atheists?

ragek1ll589

We do to. We try to save people from fairytales :P

EXACTLY what OP was talking about....
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#173 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I believe they are getting revenge for the ''in your face'' attitude of many religious people.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

TC is right. I'm atheist and I can't denounce douchebags like Dawkins andmaher enough. They're just plain insecure bullies.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#175 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Discuss.

eyebrows250

Why do believers like to generalise so much?

I can do it too, you know.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#176 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

it's better to be "hostie" with words than actually comitting violence in the name of religion.

maybe that's why atheists are so hostile towards religion? because religion is destructive at this point in time.

Phaze-Two
for EXAMPLE??
_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 _R34LiTY_
Member since 2008 • 3331 Posts

What's so daring about clicking submit?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 foxhound_fox

What's so daring about clicking submit?_R34LiTY_

He thinks all he's going to get is a bunch of flaming from 100 or so "atheists." I guess. Which ironically would imply he is trying to flamebait.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

[QUOTE="_R34LiTY_"]What's so daring about clicking submit?foxhound_fox

He thinks all he's going to get is a bunch of flaming from 100 or so "atheists." I guess. Which ironically would imply he is trying to flamebait.

Indeed; it's sort of like if, in Murder in the Cathedral the Archbishop of Canterbury gave in to his final temptation of prideful martyrdom :o
_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 _R34LiTY_
Member since 2008 • 3331 Posts

[QUOTE="_R34LiTY_"]What's so daring about clicking submit?foxhound_fox

but surely if it were directed at a religious cult, like christianity, it'd be mod/ban/thread

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 foxhound_fox

but surely if it were directed at a religious cult, like christianity, it'd be mod/ban/thread_R34LiTY_

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on who was moderating at the time.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

If I asked "Why are Christians so hostile?" I'd be moderated.

That seems like a double standard to me.

It's not a fair thing to say on either side, it's a generalization.

There are hostiles on both ends and normal ones as well.

I've met many respectful religious people and many respectful Atheists.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#183 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I'm not an atheist first off, but I am hostile to some beliefs. Someone answer me this for example: why should I be tolerant and NOT hostile to any faith that tells me I'm a bad person by nature and am condemned to hell for all of eternity, in an attempt to coerce me through fear? Sure, you may claim that not all Christians/Catholics/etc. preach such things, but that does not mean it's not a central tenet of the faith regardless. So what's the difference between that and the Nazis killing Jews because of their particular world view? And how in God's name should that view not be met with hostility, and instead given respect and tolerance?

No, I'm sorry, but I find some beliefs to be disgusting and abhorrent and not worthy of any recognition nor respect whatsoever. I do not support a parent telling their children they are trash from the earliest age, that to me constitutes child abuse, and I will not support any belief system that does the same. To hell with being PC. Unless someone can explain to me why I should...

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts

no_more_fayth
I think the TC is speaking more about the folks who actually post on the GS boards. To which, I must say, there are seemingly a lot more disrespectful atheists then Christians or any religious people (on these boards). Though I can't say that's a FACT, because that's just what I've personally seen. I haven't read every single thread, so I don't know for sure.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

frostybanana

I think the TC is speaking more about the folks who actually post on the GS boards. To which, I must say, there are seemingly a lot more disrespectful atheists then Christians or any religious people (on these boards). Though I can't say that's a FACT, because that's just what I've personally seen. I haven't read every single thread, so I don't know for sure.

I've seen both myself, but I honestly don't know which group I'd consider more than the other.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 foxhound_fox

I think the TC is speaking more about the folks who actually post on the GS boards. To which, I must say, there are seemingly a lot more disrespectful atheists then Christians or any religious people (on these boards). Though I can't say that's a FACT, because that's just what I've personally seen. I haven't read every single thread, so I don't know for sure.frostybanana

You clearly don't spent much time here then. Most of those who are disrespectful either get banned, or get suspended enough to stop. The majority of non-religious folk I've seen on OT have been very respectful people, even if they sometimes refer to the reductio ad ridiculum type of argument. Its fallacious... but not necessarily insulting.

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#187 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

I'm sure you could find a few hostile Atheists if you really wanted but the majority are open minded and tolerant of other beliefs. We have people of all different faiths who look down on us and think we are going to suffer for an eternity (or just cease to exist after we die) for not believing what they believe. Some religious people even look down on us as bad evil people who should be killed. If you wanted to really look at it objectively you'd see that we aren't the only hostile ones. When you got people knocking on your door trying to convert you, telling you you're going to hell or your own family members, friends, teachers or just random people speaking against you it's very easy to become hostile towards religion because you just expect them to be hostile towards you.

That being said, many Atheists, agnostics wouldn't be who they are without being at least somewhat open minded and non hostile. We live in a highly religious world and most of us were brainwashed from childhood to believe what our parents believe and do as they do. Seeing past that, looking at facts and making up our own minds then coming to the conclusion that some magical man in the sky didn't make everything (at least in our opinion) depending on how brainwashed we were does require a bit of effort. It's much easier to think you're going to live after you die and walk around thinking you know how the world was created then believing you wont live after you die and not really knowing how everything was created (just theories with minimal evidence, excluding evolution which is filled with evidence)

People are people and it doesn't matter where you look you will some hostile person who is going to speak out against you. It's better to just sit back, relax and ignore them if you don't agree with what they are saying. Labelling atheists as hostile people though is being hostile in your own right.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="_R34LiTY_"]but surely if it were directed at a religious cult, like christianity, it'd be mod/ban/threadfoxhound_fox

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on who was moderating at the time.

How in the world is Christianity a cult?

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
To be fair, zealous theists are no better.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 frostybanana

[QUOTE="frostybanana"]I think the TC is speaking more about the folks who actually post on the GS boards. To which, I must say, there are seemingly a lot more disrespectful atheists then Christians or any religious people (on these boards). Though I can't say that's a FACT, because that's just what I've personally seen. I haven't read every single thread, so I don't know for sure.foxhound_fox

You clearly don't spent much time here then. Most of those who are disrespectful either get banned, or get suspended enough to stop. The majority of non-religious folk I've seen on OT have been very respectful people, even if they sometimes refer to the reductio ad ridiculum type of argument. Its fallacious... but not necessarily insulting.

That depends on your definition of disrespectful. I'm speaking in terms of what the TC believes is, in fact, disrespectful. And you can't get banned for that because you're not directly insulting a person.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 foxhound_fox
How in the world is Christianity a cult?alexside1
Who is this addressed to?
That depends on your definition of disrespectful. I'm speaking in terms of what the TC believes is, in fact, disrespectful. And you can't get banned for that because you're not directly insulting a person.frostybanana
You can get banned for highly repetitive behavior (which is why people like Crushmaster got banned) and especially for flamebaiting (making a thread with the sole intention of proselytizing). And criticizing someone's beliefs and providing a reasonable argument to back it up isn't "disrespectful." Just saying for example "you're silly for believing that" is disrespectful... telling someone "it makes no sense as to why you believe such a thing because of X, Y and Z" isn't.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 frostybanana
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]
That depends on your definition of disrespectful. I'm speaking in terms of what the TC believes is, in fact, disrespectful. And you can't get banned for that because you're not directly insulting a person.frostybanana
You can get banned for highly repetitive behavior (which is why people like Crushmaster got banned) and especially for flamebaiting (making a thread with the sole intention of proselytizing). And criticizing someone's beliefs and providing a reasonable argument to back it up isn't "disrespectful." Just saying for example "you're silly for believing that" is disrespectful... telling someone "it makes no sense as to why you believe such a thing because of X, Y and Z" isn't.

I think what he's describing falls into the former.

Discuss.

eyebrows250
I've seen people act in that manner before. I don't see it as being particularly bannable because they're just voicing their opinion. However, there's a respectful way to do it and I can see why those comments would be particularly annoying to someone. Personally, I think the generalizations being made are the worst and the most disrespectful to either side.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 foxhound_fox
I think what he's describing falls into the former.frostybanana
Which occurs probably about 5-10% of the time when a non-religious person posts here. Not nearly enough to generalize like the TC did.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
Of course the lack of respect by people on both sides of the fence is unfortunate and should be discouraged. However, I am amazed at the amount of people on this forum who willingly enter threads regarding religious discussion, yet are surprised or offended when their beliefs are challenged.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Meh, time for me to release the lions.
GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#196 GD-1369211121
Member since 2006 • 4087 Posts

They believe what they see. They have no faith in anything other than fact. I don't agree with their beliefs, but I do respect them. And it also goes both ways, when ever there is an atheist thread, usually you will find many people defending their religion. The reality is, we don't know and will never know what happens to us when we die. Untill we die of course. So, why not stop fighting and just accept others beliefs?

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#197 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="hippiesanta"][QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="hippiesanta"] bUT athiest attack people for fun.... billl maher...and his type

As do Christians. Look at what the Westboro Baptist Church is planning at the moment. But neither Bill Maher, nor Westboro, represent atheists or Christians in entirety. People like the topic creator need to realise people being awful or hostile is connected with them being awful and hostile, not what beliefs they hold.

unfortunately.... many athiest making money by attacking others

As do many Christians. What's your point? You're the pot calling the kettle black here.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#198 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I merely ask a simple question. I'm not trying to attack any religious persons faith. And yet, that question turns into a giant debate that that goes off topic from the original question. I see this happen to many other Atheist besides myself....
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 alexside1
[QUOTE="alexside1"]How in the world is Christianity a cult?foxhound_fox
Who is this addressed to?

The person that you quote.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 alexside1
[QUOTE="frostybanana"]I think what he's describing falls into the former.foxhound_fox
Which occurs probably about 5-10% of the time when a non-religious person posts here. Not nearly enough to generalize like the TC did.

Well I do certainly see it at other websites, and it isn't pretty.