Why are atheists so hostile? Dare I click Submit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#101 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts
Religious people insult me, and I insult them back. So is the way of the world.
MarineXXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 MarineXXII
Member since 2007 • 1583 Posts

As an atheist, i avoid all talk concerning religion and i will NEVER attack someone for their beliefs. Someone can believe that the cookie monster is god and i wouldnt attack them for it so long they have the same respect for my beliefs.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#103 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

we are not hostile, we are defensive.

atheists in my experience mind their own business; give that the majority is religious, we pretty much have to in order to remain sane and productive.

but when we are attacked, well, we defend ourselves, and considering we use logic, facts, and solid arguments in our defense, our retaliation comes off as hostile because the truth hurts :P

optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts

atheists in my experience mind their own business; give that the majority is religious, we pretty much have to in order to remain sane and productive.

but when we are attacked, well, we defend ourselves, and considering we use logic, facts, and solid arguments in our defense, our retaliation comes off as hostile because the truth hurts :P

mrbojangles25
Oh burn :lol:
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="clayron"]

[QUOTE="eyebrows250"]. What happened to being respectful of others? Seriously, why do atheists always feel the need to destroy other's beliefs?

Discuss.

carrot-cake

Am I the only one who finds this a tad bit ironic.

Shhh! Thats disrespectful!

Morbo will destroy you, puny human! And your religion! LONG LIVE ATHEISM!

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"][QUOTE="WockaFlocka"] But the Bible says that Atheists are going to hell, and to tell every one the word. I'm a religious person with morals, and I believe that you should educate, NOT preach to people. They will be more likely to believe if you don't yell " ur going to hell!".J-man45

Who said you were qualified to teach? Thats another thing. Believers have this "niceness" about them that is just as itimidating as forcefull athiest. I don't trust ppl who are so condescending.

Who would you trust?

My mom, a few cousins, a few friends, and I'm sure there are a few I'm forgetting. Why?
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#107 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
A better name for this topic; kettles and pots discuss each other's apperances.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#108 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

mrbojangles25
bUT athiest attack people for fun.... billl maher...and his type
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#109 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

hippiesanta

As do Christians. Look at what the Westboro Baptist Church is planning at the moment. But neither Bill Maher, nor Westboro, represent atheists or Christians in entirety. People like the topic creator need to realise people being awful or hostile is connected with them being awful and hostile, not what beliefs they hold.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Unfortunatly, there are people on both sides that will do their best to try to make it seem like ones belief is wrong. It also a sort of defence for when we're told we're going to burn in Hell for eternity.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

hippiesanta

true, but lets look at history: have any major wars been waged for atheism? Have atheists persecuted religious people for generations upon generations with consequence?

Not saying its ok to make fun of religious people, but if youre going to complain about little ol' Bill Mahr or George Carlin poking fun at the religious, well, let he who is without sin cast the first stone lol. Relative to religious people in history, atheists are freaking saints, man :P

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

true, but lets look at history: have any major wars been waged for atheism? Have atheists persecuted religious people for generations upon generations with consequence?

Not saying its ok to make fun of religious people, but if youre going to complain about little ol' Bill Mahr or George Carlin poking fun at the religious, well, let he who is without sin cast the first stone lol. Relative to religious people in history, atheists are freaking saints, man :P

Not saying hipp is a Christian but it seems as if Christians don't know much history about their own religion. They just know the "good stuff".
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#113 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

I really hate the word "Atheists". I don't believe in anything and so I get branded an Atheist. I don't care about any of that, don't put a label on my forhead !I am myself and I don't wanna be part of some group.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Because they don't know how to get attention any other way. Inciting hostility or aggravating others is their only method of interaction.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
All sides can be hostile. However some atheists do seem to have a serious beef with religion.
Bladecutter56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#116 Bladecutter56
Member since 2006 • 2081 Posts

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"][QUOTE="WockaFlocka"] But the Bible says that Atheists are going to hell, and to tell every one the word. I'm a religious person with morals, and I believe that you should educate, NOT preach to people. They will be more likely to believe if you don't yell " ur going to hell!".J-man45

Who said you were qualified to teach? Thats another thing. Believers have this "niceness" about them that is just as itimidating as forcefull athiest. I don't trust ppl who are so condescending.

Who would you trust?

This girl here. She won't preach to me, either.

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts

Are they trying to drag down everyone else with them? In every topic I see with the word "God" or "religion" in it, you immediately see all the non-believers quoting "there is no God" or "Science is proving everything false". What happened to being respectful of others? Seriously, why do atheists always feel the need to destroy other's beliefs?

Discuss.

eyebrows250
So what are they supposed to say? God exists? Just because they're stating a different opinion doesn't make them hostile.
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#118 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

Teh rage. That is all.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#119 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

[QUOTE="J-man45"]

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"] Who said you were qualified to teach? Thats another thing. Believers have this "niceness" about them that is just as itimidating as forcefull athiest. I don't trust ppl who are so condescending.Bladecutter56

Who would you trust?

This girl here. She won't preach to me, either.

That super 90 sux.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 hippiesanta
[QUOTE="hippiesanta"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Danm_999

As do Christians. Look at what the Westboro Baptist Church is planning at the moment. But neither Bill Maher, nor Westboro, represent atheists or Christians in entirety. People like the topic creator need to realise people being awful or hostile is connected with them being awful and hostile, not what beliefs they hold.

unfortunately.... many athiest making money by attacking others
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 hippiesanta

I really hate the word "Atheists". I don't believe in anything and so I get branded an Atheist. I don't care about any of that, don't put a label on my forhead !I am myself and I don't wanna be part of some group.

Sagem28
the word "athiest" is use as a comercial for trendy people nowadays. It was now written that it's cool to be an athiest in this new millenium, as it's cool to be a buddist during the 80's thanks to the actor and sexiest man alive at that time Mr. Richard Gere, as well as George Harrison being a Hindu during the sex, drugs and rocknroll years....flower power man...... peace. After everyone get bored on "athiest'..... soon in 10 years .... being a moslem will be a next trend.. perhaps 2020..... 2030, a new wave will hit the nation when the next president is a scientologist called President Thomas Mapother IV .... with the support of oprah's follower
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#123 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

What happened to being respectful of others?eyebrows250

Internet.

I've never met an atheist face-to-face that had a hostile demeanour towards me.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Prove that atheists are particularly "hostile" in comparison to other belief groups.

Although, this thread's pretty interesting in one sense. A lot of the people here who attack atheists for being disrespectful then proceeded to demonize atheists as being selfish/attention-seeking/blahblahblah-random-malignant-buzzword. You know, if you don't like it when people generalize the groups you belong to then there's nothing obligating you to be a f****** hypocrite and return the favour, unless you actually believe that the standards you apply on the behaviour of others don't apply to yourself.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

I don't even know why religious disscuions are allowed on OT they just lead to flaming on both sides, and its not like we are going to change anybodies opinion.

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

Humans are hostile creatures, doesn't matter what you believe. However, I must admit that Atheists are probably the most quick to label others as hostile. I guess some think they are exceptional and not in the norm of the deluded, when really they're being just as ignorant as those they aim to separate themselves from. Again, these will be the minority, which is always the case.

Moral of the story: Wherever there are humans, there will be hostility, no matter what they believe in.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Maybe because its basically like would you take an adult seriously if they believed in the easter bunny and that the easter bunny also created the world and the universe by collecting all the planets from its own garden and arranging them in the way they are.

People on hold on to religon and take it seriously purely because of how long it has been around and that despite the crazyness of it... I heard in the bible when moses was trying to free his people God made it rain frogs to make the king at the time allow him to take the slaves away.

http://homepage.mac.com/jerrypeterson/CHUMSsite/pages/Story%20Moses.html

thats the full story I think.

Its just bordering insaine yet instead of people taking this literally they twist it as a "moral story" and with the advances of science prooving things which majorly conflict with the bible and many other religons... another one was apperently the church diidnt like the idea of a Vacum because god is meant to be everywhere but in a vacum there is nothing.

So tldr; possibly like me many we see religous topics and we cant help but find ourselves trying to convince people that these crazy things just dont/cant happen. Its not a thing of hatred; its more "how can you even think this".

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 BiancaDK

Humans are hostile creatures, doesn't matter what you believe. However, I must admit that Atheists are probably the most quick to label others as hostile. I guess some think they are exceptional and not in the norm of the deluded, when really they're being just as ignorant as those they aim to separate themselves from. Again, these will be the minority, which is always the case.

Moral of the story: Wherever there are humans, there will be hostility, no matter what they believe in.

Asim90

That's a pretty one-sided way of looking at things, isn't it? Humans being inherently hostile does not mesh well with humans being inherently social. There must be facets to this? Like certain cultural norms?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#129 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It seems you just tend to skip over all the intelligent posts where non-theists (atheists, agnostics, non-religious, etc.) are actually discussing things instead of making broad claims with no reasonable arguments I guess?

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

[QUOTE="Asim90"]

BiancaDK

That's a pretty one-sided way of looking at things, isn't it? Humans being inherently hostile does not mesh well with humans being inherently social. There must be facets to this? Like certain cultural norms?

Actually, you're correct. I should have explained a bit more. What I meant was, wherever there are humans there will be hostile ones. You're correct though that there must obviously be a cause of this. Humans aren't born hostile. Its very much a cause of the environment we grow up in and cultural norms. It just so happens though that the Earth is a hostile place to be in, full stop, no matter where you live or what culture you grow in.

This is a result of globalisation and the fact that this planet profits from war. The biggest industries on this planet are the arms industries. Then you combine that with the self-centredness and selfishness of pop culture which is everywhere due to globalisation; you have a selfish and hostile global environment.

This however is manufactured that way and there are exceptions, for example there will probably be a group of monks that live in a cave in rural Tibet somewhere that are completely oblivious to all this and don't even understand the concept of the things I just discussed.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 BiancaDK

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]

[QUOTE="Asim90"]

Asim90

Actually, you're correct. I should have explained a bit more. What I meant was, wherever there are humans there will be hostile ones. You're correct though that there must obviously be a cause of this. Humans aren't born hostile. Its very much a cause of the environment we grow up in and cultural norms. It just so happens though that the Earth is a hostile place to be in, full stop, no matter where you live or what culture you grow in.

This is a result of globalisation and the fact that this planet profits from war. The biggest industries on this planet are the arms industries. Then you combine that with the self-centredness and selfishness of pop culture which is everywhere due to globalisation; you have a selfish and hostile global environment.

This however is manufactured that way and there are exceptions, for example there will probably be a group of monks that live in a cave in rural Tibet somewhere that are completely oblivious to all this and don't even understand the concept of the things I just discussed.

Thanks for taking out the time to clear that up for me. Also, I find it interesting that, albeit a tad crude, I agree with everything you just postulated. (:

carlyle group 1 utopia 0

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

i find that when i talk to believers and they ask me my beliefs, all it takes is for me to say that i am not convinced there is a god and i find all religions to be a load of rubbish and they get all offended. but i don't get offended if the believe says that they do believe in a god and that religion is the truth.

ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts

Eh, I'm an Atheist with tendencies to Agnosticism, and I've got to say: when an Atheist acts like that, he's usually concerned about his own beliefs. In my own experience with other Atheists, I have to say: when they try to deny a religion or deity with too much veracity, they're most likely in doubt as to whether something divine is possible or not.

iAtrocious
And the Atheist who ranks among my favorite Atheists here is~ =D
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Eh, I'm an Atheist with tendencies to Agnosticism, and I've got to say: when an Atheist acts like that, he's usually concerned about his own beliefs. In my own experience with other Atheists, I have to say: when they try to deny a religion or deity with too much veracity, they're most likely in doubt as to whether something divine is possible or not.

iAtrocious
This man speaks gold. I have said this many times. oh and /thread
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#135 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Seriously, why do atheists always feel the need to destroy other's beliefs?

Discuss.

eyebrows250
And why Christians want me to believe in something I dont believe?
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#136 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
I do noticed that many atheist love to call people idiots or to look down on them for believing in God
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 GazaAli
[QUOTE="eyebrows250"]

Seriously, why do atheists always feel the need to destroy other's beliefs?

Discuss.

Miroku32
And why Christians want me to believe in something I dont believe?

considering the nature of most religious topics that start in OT, I believe this post is meh
Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts

Are they trying to drag down everyone else with them? In every topic I see with the word "God" or "religion" in it, you immediately see all the non-believers quoting "there is no God" or "Science is proving everything false". What happened to being respectful of others? Seriously, why do atheists always feel the need to destroy other's beliefs?

Discuss.

eyebrows250
Christians are just as bad, they keep saying there is a god. Why do they need to keep attacking my belief that there isn't? :P
WockaFlocka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 WockaFlocka
Member since 2010 • 173 Posts
[QUOTE="WockaFlocka"][QUOTE="BreakTheseLinks"]Uh I would have to say that "believers" (as you put it) are much worse. I hate preachy people on either side. I believe in God but I don't go around telling people that are atheist they are going to hell, it's not my place to judge. The same can be said for atheists. DudeNtheRoom
But the Bible says that Atheists are going to hell, and to tell every one the word. I'm a religious person with morals, and I believe that you should educate, NOT preach to people. They will be more likely to believe if you don't yell " ur going to hell!".

No one. What I mean is that if someone DOESN't know about God, then you should be able to preach/teach to them and let them decide.
Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#140 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts

I am not really an atheist so to say but I don't really have a religion either that saying if I see a topic about god I don't want to destroy other peoples beliefs people can believe what ever they want I am just saying that I don't believe in it. Thats me I don't know about other people.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Years ago, i started a job cleaning carpets. When i got into the work van on my first day on the job, the driver whips out a bible and insisted that i read the Lords prayer with him. You want to see hostile, i wish you could have been there to see my reaction.

TheAnswerEdgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 TheAnswerEdgar
Member since 2011 • 72 Posts
Because they know there is a God but they're too afraid to admit it so they get angry. Either that or they get all mad because they're Atheists, plain and simple.
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
Because they think they are so much cleverer and belief in God means that not only are you stupid, but you believe in all the fairy tales that every religion has!:P
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because they know there is a God but they're too afraid to admit it [...]TheAnswerEdgar

Or we know that there is no way of knowing if there is a God or not, and are afraid about the implications that has about existence.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
Atheists who are hostile are most likely people who see a particular extreme of religious people and then proceed to generalize the entire populous of religious people. It goes the other way around as well. I see a lot of Atheist's talking about how judgmental and overbearing Christians are. That they say things like "you're going to hell for not believing in what I believe." I'm Christian. I've never once told anyone that they're going to hell or thought that I'm somehow better than them because I'm Christian. If any Christian does act that way, then they're not really a person who is god fearing (or a true Christian). Because it is stated in the bible that no human being has the power to judge another regardless of what they believe. Only God has that power. I'm sure these religious extremists exist. That doesn't mean you should disrespect anyone's beliefs and mash up those extremists with regular Christians. Just like I don't assume every Atheist is a conceited, self righteous narcissist. I've met Atheists like that before. But that doesn't mean they're all like that.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
Vocal minority. Same way I get Christians coming to my house telling me to worship their god or I'll be sent to hell. Ace6301
You know I hear this all the time and to be honest there have been two occasions that I have had a Jehovah witness come to my house and the last time was like 10 years ago. Also not once did I ever have one of them say believe in my god or go to hell.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 GazaAli

[QUOTE="TheAnswerEdgar"]Because they know there is a God but they're too afraid to admit it [...]foxhound_fox

Or we know that there is no way of knowing if there is a God or not, and are afraid about the implications that has about existence.

you serious right?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

And what about theists claiming there is a God? Arent they destroying the atheists' beliefs?

[spoiler] What you are describing is called disagreement, unless the examples you gave isnt really what you had in mind. [/spoiler]

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

Yeah atheists as so hostile.

Atheist blowing selves up in the name of nothing.

Atheists rallying and treating gays like they are sub-human.

Using their churches to protect their priests from molestation charges.

Atheists treating their women badly, and suppressing their rights.

Atheists believing non-belivers be forced to convert or be killed.

Athiests indoctrinating and trying to force their children to think like them, instead of choosing for themselves.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 BiancaDK

Yeah atheists as so hostile.

Atheist blowing selves up in the name of nothing.

Atheists rallying and treating gays like they are sub-human.

Using their churches to protect their priests from molestation charges.

Atheists treating their women badly, and suppressing their rights.

Atheists believing non-belivers be forced to convert or be killed.

Athiests indoctrinating and trying to force their children to think like them, instead of choosing for themselves.

deangallop

eh that's more like theistic thought if anything, but yeah, nice. :| :| /OT