Santa banned from school because of Muslims

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts

Article can be found here:http://www.parentdish.com/2010/12/30/santa-banned-from-classroom-when-muslim-family-complains/

Glitchspot wont let me link

For the past four years, Santa Claus has visited the children of St. Peter, Minnesota's Head Start Program. Santa, in this case, is a gentleman by the name of Dennis Jackson, who donates his time and the candy he gives out to spread Christmas cheer to the little ones who attend this program for low-income families.

But this year, Mr. Jackson (I mean Santa) was told by Head Start's administrator not to come. Why? Because, according to the regional coordinator for the Minnesota Valley Action Council, Chris Marben, at least one Muslim family complained of his visit.

When asked about banishing Santa, Marben said, "We have Somali families in the program. We're respecting the wishes of families in the program." She added, "Part of our challenge in Head Start is providing an environment where young children from many different cultures can all feel comfortable."

How do you guys feel about this?

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Well that's stupid, Santa isn't even Christian.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I feel they need to grow a thicker skin and get over it. I am personally tired seeing people bending over backwards to accommodate 1 family because of its complaints.
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

No Muslim I know particularly cares about Santa Claus. I doubt he was banned because of Muslims*.

*Muslim: A person who practices the Islamic faith. Remember, you have to actually practice the proper Islamic faith to be recognized as a Muslim.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
That's a bunch of bull. This guy tries to do something nice for this kids in this program and a muslim family ruins it. Just put the muslim kids in a corner office or something while santa visits. Or have him visit during meditation time, they won't even notice he was there, just stop ruining the fun for the other kids.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

That's a bunch of bull. This guy tries to do something nice for this kids in this program and a muslim family ruins it. Just put the muslim kids in a corner office or something while santa visits. Or have him visit during meditation time, they won't even notice he was there, just stop ruining the fun for the other kids. ferrari2001

Free speech and all.

They had a problem with Santa, so they complained.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
How typical of Muslims to crap all over everyone else's culture despite demanding that absolute respect is paid to their own.dromiceiomimus
I Know what you mean.. i live in Europe and muslims want everything done their way or else .... Is kinda sad really but thanfully not all are like that.
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts
How typical of Muslims to crap all over everyone else's culture despite demanding that absolute respect is paid to their own.dromiceiomimus
true
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
That's strange and makes me frustrated. I come from a Muslim background and I've never, ever had a problem celebrating Christmas or visiting Santa when I was a kid. People are too loopy now a days. Ugh.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Linked for the lazy! :D

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
I blame the school. They basically respected the wishes of a small minority of people over something trivial that many others would appreciate.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

At the same time, I think people should stop lying about santa existing. But, not for this reason. This shows that muslims probably dont want to assimilate, some do, but for all we know... Subconsciously, they want to be controlling, they just lack the power yet.

pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts
That is ridiculous...
mr_poodles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mr_poodles123
Member since 2009 • 1661 Posts

This is why I hate "Political correctness". Changing something for everyone because of 1% of the population. Like at my school, Peanut butter and jelly is banned because there are TWO KIDS IN THE ENTIRE CLASS OUT OF 200 IS ALERGIC TO PEANUT BUTTER! So we ban peanut butter and peanuts for everyone.

It's stupid.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer

This is why I hate being "politically correct". Which is why i am not politically correct.mr_poodles123

I fail to see the problem.

They didn't like Santa, so they complained. The alternative would be for them to dislike Santa and...to just shut the hell up about it.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
I blame the school. They basically respected the wishes of a small minority of people over something trivial that many others would appreciate.CRS98
I'll go with this. Title should read: Santa banned from school by pathetic school board.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
That's strange. As far as I know, there's nothing in Islam that would have an issue with Santa Clause. And lol @ dunderhead comments about Muslims.
shahchip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#20 shahchip
Member since 2007 • 1282 Posts

No Muslim I know particularly cares about Santa Claus. I doubt he was banned because of Muslims*.

*Muslim: A person who practices the Islamic faith. Remember, you have to actually practice the proper Islamic faith to be recognized as a Muslim.

thattotally

Exactly. If i said i was the president of the US, people would laugh at me because there is only one widely recognizable President that can easily verify that fact. However, if i decided tomorrow to call myself Christian or Jewish no one can challenge me because there is no universal organization that checks and ensures that every self proclaimed religious person is actually doing what they are supposed to do. So i emphasize to not use this story as something to apply to all Muslims, some of us have common sense.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#21 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Excellent. It's about time we showed some respect for Islam. Too many people are really mean to Muslims these days and I bet that family who complained are really nice people. May God bless their santa free holidays.
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

i actually don't know that they weren't justified in taking santa out of the classroom. isn't santa associated with christmas? if not christmas, then another holiday or maybe dozens of other smaller holidays. Not everyone celebrates christmas or the other holidays that santa may be representing. and instead of representing/celebrating just one holiday let alone every single holiday, shouldn't we just make it easy and do none? no ones mad (or should be mad) then. and no one holiday or holidays is/are given special treatment. instead just say "Happy Holidays" and have winter-ish decorations. not that hard, and we would avoid silliness like this.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ferrari2001

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]That's a bunch of bull. This guy tries to do something nice for this kids in this program and a muslim family ruins it. Just put the muslim kids in a corner office or something while santa visits. Or have him visit during meditation time, they won't even notice he was there, just stop ruining the fun for the other kids. MrGeezer

Free speech and all.

Yep and the people who hear complaints should follow my advice, or ignore their complaints. Free Speech also gives us the ability to ignore said speech.
mr_poodles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mr_poodles123
Excellent. It's about time we showed some respect for Islam. Too many people are really mean to Muslims these days and I bet that family who complained are really nice people. May God bless their santa free holidays.SolidSnake35
No. Just no. And don't you mean may Allah bless their Santa- free holidays. And put it this way: Have you ever heard of a Jew who complains about santa coming to their school?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Excellent. It's about time we showed some respect for Islam. Too many people are really mean to Muslims these days and I bet that family who complained are really nice people. May God bless their santa free holidays.mr_poodles123
No. Just no. And don't you mean may Allah bless their Santa- free holidays. And put it this way: Have you ever heard of a Jew who complains about santa coming to their school?

No, but I've heard of a Jew who complains about Christmas trees in airports.
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Phaze-Two

This is why I hate being "politically correct". Which is why i am not politically correct.mr_poodles123

That's some great reasoning there, chief.

mr_poodles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mr_poodles123

[QUOTE="mr_poodles123"]This is why I hate being "politically correct". Which is why i am not politically correct.Phaze-Two

That's some great reasoning there, chief.

Ya, I am going to go re-word that...
Avatar image for Forever_Posting
Forever_Posting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Forever_Posting
Member since 2010 • 213 Posts

Santa isn't a religious figure....

Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Phaze-Two

Excellent. It's about time we showed some respect for Islam. Too many people are really mean to Muslims these days and I bet that family who complained are really nice people. May God bless their santa free holidays.SolidSnake35

show respect for a violent religion? no.

equal rights for muslims? (and all other religious minorities?) yes.

mr_poodles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mr_poodles123

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Excellent. It's about time we showed some respect for Islam. Too many people are really mean to Muslims these days and I bet that family who complained are really nice people. May God bless their santa free holidays.Phaze-Two

Exactly. How much do you want to bet that if the Muslims asked to have a special excused time to pray, they would be excused?
vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

People are always complaning about something, and then that something is removed or banned because everyone wants to be politically correct.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ferrari2001
[QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Excellent. It's about time we showed some respect for Islam. Too many people are really mean to Muslims these days and I bet that family who complained are really nice people. May God bless their santa free holidays.mr_poodles123

Exactly. How much do you want to bet that if the Muslims asked to have a special excused time to pray, they would be excused?

I'd let them, and then teach something really important during that time, and I don't re-teach things.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]That's a bunch of bull. This guy tries to do something nice for this kids in this program and a muslim family ruins it. Just put the muslim kids in a corner office or something while santa visits. Or have him visit during meditation time, they won't even notice he was there, just stop ruining the fun for the other kids. ferrari2001

Free speech and all.

Yep and the people who hear complaints should follow my advice, or ignore their complaints. Free Speech also gives us the ability to ignore said speech.

They obviously decided to NOT ignore said complaints, and that's well within their rights.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts
Santa is not a religious issue and if the families don't like him...they can keep their children home that day. The world needs to stop being so PC or they will find their way of life changed to another world view.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="mr_poodles123"][QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]show respect for a violent religion? no.

equal rights for muslims? (and all other religious minorities?) yes.ferrari2001

I'd let them, and then teach something really important during that time, and I don't re-teach things.

No religion should be given specific treatment so letting them out of class to pray wouldn't be right either.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrGeezer

Santa is not a religious issue and if the families don't like him...they can keep their children home that day. LJS9502_basic

Sure, they CAN keep the kids home that day. They can also make complaints.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Santa is not a religious issue and if the families don't like him...they can keep their children home that day. MrGeezer

They can complain...doesn't mean they should get their way however.
arad96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 arad96
Member since 2009 • 7783 Posts

All I have to ask is this. What does santa have to do with religion?

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thattotally

[QUOTE="thattotally"]

shahchip

Exactly. If i said i was the president of the US, people would laugh at me because there is only one widely recognizable President that can easily verify that fact. However, if i decided tomorrow to call myself Christian or Jewish no one can challenge me because there is no universal organization that checks and ensures that every self proclaimed religious person is actually doing what they are supposed to do. So i emphasize to not use this story as something to apply to all Muslims, some of us have common sense.

I hope so; skimming over the posts in this topic really makes me smirk at some of the responses made. I was not aware that venting using the words "Muslims" and "violent religion" was so in these days. Must be something new.

conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
Just because one somalian muslim family takes offence to santa doesn't mean all other muslims are offended by him.Some of you guys need to stop thinking of all muslims as aliens and terrorrists.
Gallego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 Gallego
Member since 2003 • 19446 Posts
yay! Its about time someone did something to kill the commercializing giant that is Santa.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Santa is not a religious issue and if the families don't like him...they can keep their children home that day. LJS9502_basic

Doesn't mean they shouldn't. They can get their way or not.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thattotally

Just because one somalian muslim family takes offence to santa doesn't mean all other muslims are offended by him.Some of you guys need to stop thinking of all muslims as aliens and terrorrists.conistant

It's pretty much basic psychology. People always want, rather need something to hate. Whether it's an idea, a group of people, or anything, it is human nature more or less. Finding a common enemy.

What I find particularly humorous is the fact that people here give so much flak to the news for blowing stories out of proportion, making a big deal out of things, causing epidemics for something as mild as the flu, and just wanting to incite panic, yet it seems most do the same here. Ah well.

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts
I blame the school. They basically respected the wishes of a small minority of people over something trivial that many others would appreciate.CRS98
This sums up my thoughts nicely.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

Doesn't mean they shouldn't. They can get their way or not.

They shouldn't. One adapts to the culture of the country one enters. The country does not adapt to the home culture of the immigrants.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#47 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Because of people like this, there will be no holidays in the future. They throw a temper because they don't get their way. They can make their child stay home and opt out, thats what my mom did for me at this Global Warming convention, in which they forced the students to go to and they forced participation in the audience. I'd rather do work, thank you. But instead of Destroying the fun for everyone, i told my parents and they let me stay home.

What holiday will be next? They already ruined the celebration of Christmas. Independence day? New Years? Soon they only be allowed to celebrated at home. Then once people complain that one house is being too loud; its gone.

dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dromiceiomimus
Member since 2010 • 113 Posts
I hope so; skimming over the posts in this topic really makes me smirk at some of the responses made. I was not aware that venting using the words "Muslims" and "violent religion" was so in these days. Must be something new. thattotally
Given that Muhammad was a conquering warlord who spread his desert cult by the sword, it's hardly a new combination.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

That's strange. As far as I know, there's nothing in Islam that would have an issue with Santa Clause. And lol @ dunderhead comments about Muslims. Theokhoth

Yeah I wasn't aware that Muslims would have a particular issue with Santa Claus. I'm curious what the complaint was.

Also agreed on your second comment.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MrGeezer

They shouldn't. One adapts to the culture of the country one enters. The country does not adapt to the home culture of the immigrants.LJS9502_basic

Really? I wasn't aware that the entire country adapted to suit the wishes of that one family. I was pretty sure that it's just an incident of one family making a complaint and then the school caving in to that complaint.

Anyone could've made the same complaint. What happens if the person complaining is ALSO part of the "home culture" in question?