Santa banned from school because of Muslims

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#401 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12334 Posts
you think thats outrageous ?? The library in my city has a huge plaque of the ten commandments on it and they actually cover it up when someone doesn't want to see it. I personally think it ******* stupid just like how people complain about things like "Under God" ...... "So Help Me God" etc.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#402 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

There is no "central prophet" in Judaism. Every Jewish person I've ever known thinks that the Old Testament is either largely or entirely metaphor and allegory, whereas that belief is less common amongst Christians and Muslims.

Rhazakna

I'm pretty sure that Moses and Abraham are considered central prophets in the same way Muhammed is, Moses was said to have written the first five books of the Bible. The second part has no bearing on the discussion and is just an attempt at detraction.

Yes, but religious claims of divinely inspired books are not all equal. Rejecting part of the bible can make sense if you reject that particular author's perspective, but the same cannot be said of the Quran, since it didn't have multiple authors. In other words, questioning a part of the bible is the equivalent of questioning a particular author. Questioning the Quran is questioning Muhammad, the central figure of the Islamic religion, and supposedly god's last prophet on Earth.

Rhazakna

But if you're questioning one particular author then you're questioning divine inspiration as well, or at least the level of god's involvement in that inspiration. You can also make similar questions of Muhammed without debasing the validity of the religion as you claim, a pluralistic nature has no bearing on it whatsoever.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#403 theone86

you think thats outrageous ?? The library in my city has a huge plaque of the ten commandments on it and they actually cover it up when someone doesn't want to see it. I personally think it ******* stupid just like how people complain about things like "Under God" ...... "So Help Me God" etc.Nonstop-Madness

Yes, what is wrong with those people who dislike having Christian theology embedded in the social institutions of a secular nation that is supposed to embrace all faiths?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#404 theone86

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]

There is no "central prophet" in Judaism.

Rhazakna

Yeah they're just called the books of Moses for fun. :P

You can call Moses the central prophet I suppose, but he is not like Muhammad or Jesus are to their respective religions. Judaism has no central figure in the way Christianity and Islam do.

How exactly is Moses different from Muhammed?

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#405 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"]And what evidence do you have that that is the case, rather than what I claim to be the reason?dromiceiomimus

The fact you seem to know next to nothing of the religion and use the tired Islamophobe reasoning of "Well yes it's totally okay for Christians and Jews to ignore entire chapters of their book but not Muslims. Why? Well, uh....BECAUSE!"

You also seem to act like all Muslims are some terrible extremists who are out to get you.

I stated quite explicitly why it is particularly impermissible for Muslims to throw out parts of their holy book. Perhaps you should try actually paying attention.

And several people pointed out why your reasoning was flawed and wrong. You basically fell back on "I SAID SO!"

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#406 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts

I'm pretty sure that Moses and Abraham are considered central prophets in the same way Muhammed is, Moses was said to have written the first five books of the Bible. The second part has no bearing on the discussion and is just an attempt at detraction.theone86

Maybe there are some sects of Judaism who teach that, but my mother is Jewish and that is not my understanding of the beliefs. Though Moses and Abraham are very important figures, perhaps the most important in Judaism, they are not revered in the same way Muhammad is revered in Islam, not even close. Maybe some more conservative Jewish sects are like that, but that also doesn't seem to be the case from the people I've talked to.

But if you're questioning one particular author then you're questioning divine inspiration as well, or at least the level of god's involvement in that inspiration. You can also make similar questions of Muhammed without debasing the validity of the religion as you claim, a pluralistic nature has no bearing on it whatsoever.

theone86

How? Muhammad claims to be god's last prophet on Earth,he claims to talk to Gabriel who reveals Allah's will, he claims he has the true revelation, and everyone else perverted god's real word. If you question Muhammad, you are questioning all of Islam, considering it's all based on him. If you question a particular prophet in Judaism or Christianity you are not necessarily questioning the entire religion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#407 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

you think thats outrageous ?? The library in my city has a huge plaque of the ten commandments on it and they actually cover it up when someone doesn't want to see it. I personally think it ******* stupid just like how people complain about things like "Under God" ...... "So Help Me God" etc.Nonstop-Madness

I can see the library to be much more cut and dry.. If the library is apart of the government.. That is a violation of first amendment..

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#408 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12334 Posts

[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]you think thats outrageous ?? The library in my city has a huge plaque of the ten commandments on it and they actually cover it up when someone doesn't want to see it. I personally think it ******* stupid just like how people complain about things like "Under God" ...... "So Help Me God" etc.sSubZerOo

I can see the library to be much more cut and dry.. If the library is apart of the government.. That is a violation of first amendment..

the land that the library is on was given to the city by a wealthy man like 100 years ago. The contract states the the land must be used for the people and the ten commandments must be present at all times.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#409 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]you think thats outrageous ?? The library in my city has a huge plaque of the ten commandments on it and they actually cover it up when someone doesn't want to see it. I personally think it ******* stupid just like how people complain about things like "Under God" ...... "So Help Me God" etc.Nonstop-Madness

the land that the library is on was given to the city by a wealthy man like 100 years ago. The contract states the the land must be used for the people and the ten commandments must be present at all times.

.. Well then your problem is with the person not punishing them for upholding the contract... Or the contract was bought out long ago.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] Yeah they're just called the books of Moses for fun. :P

theone86

You can call Moses the central prophet I suppose, but he is not like Muhammad or Jesus are to their respective religions. Judaism has no central figure in the way Christianity and Islam do.

How exactly is Moses different from Muhammed?

Jews view him very differently than Muslims view Muhammad. Islam is based on Muhammad's supposedly divine revelation, whereas Moses' supposedly divine revelation is a very important part of Judaism, but not as important as Muhammad is to Muslims. You'd be hard pressed to find too many Jews who consider Moses to be the Jewish Muhammad. Many Jews I talk to these days see Moses and the Exodus as entirely metaphoric.

metalpower08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411 metalpower08
Member since 2007 • 1254 Posts
[QUOTE="CRS98"]I blame the school. They basically respected the wishes of a small minority of people over something trivial that many others would appreciate.jimmyjammer69
I'll go with this. Title should read: Santa banned from school by pathetic school board.

very true